• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The still small voice

how do you explain the 400 years of silence between the Old Testament and the new, or the other periods of silence?
If you speak to someone who doesnt understand your language does that mean you haven't spoken?

Does the fact that there has been periods of silence mean that G-d stopped speaking or that we stopped listening?

To know someone's voice means you have had to hear them speak right?

If you speak to someone who doesnt understand your language does that mean you haven't spoken?

God was trying to talk to people, but he was using a language nobody could understand? Is there a text that says that about that period?

Does the fact that there has been periods of silence mean that G-d stopped speaking or that we stopped listening?

Was God trying to speak, but He just couldn’t get through? Is there a text that says that about that period?

Is God unable to speak to people unless they have heard him before?

Where Zechariah and Mary the first ones to figure out what language God was speaking and get tuned in? If they hadn’t, would The Lord Jesus Christ not have been able to come and fulfill the prophesies concerning Him?

Yahweh, has spoken to me so many times. In so many ways and I will receive confirmation in the scriptures. Or the many times He has guided me in raising my children on my own and He would wake me from a dead sleep with details of something that I needed to address with my kids. My oldest told me "Jesus was my daddy and He never let me get away with anything!"
The deeper the personal relationship we have with God the easier it is to distinguish His voice from our own voice.

God was trying to talk to people, but he was using a language nobody could understand? Is there a text that says that about that period?

Was God trying to speak, but He just couldn’t get through? Is there a text that says that about that period?

Where Zechariah and Mary the first ones to figure out what language God was speaking and get tuned in? If they hadn’t, would The Lord Jesus Christ not have been able to come and fulfill the prophesies concerning Him?
@Asforme&myhouse
I am sure Kevin is talking figuratively not literal. That is how I took it anyway.

This is what I’m talking about. When God speaks it will be something that has a lasting effect on us. We of course must test every spirit to ensure that it is God speaking to us. The Disciples walked and talk with Jesus and John was very close with Jesus, but even when the Apostle John saw the risen Lord he fell down like a dead man! When God speaks it rocks our world and if it doesn’t, I question where it comes from.

Not trying to be mean, rude, or crude, but you're a man and can't begin to think or feel like a woman so WHY would you judge a sister who can STILL remember when God spoke to her so clearly that it DID rock her world to the point she remembers it even today as though it had just happened and could probably tell you the exact message God gave her?!? Should I judge you because the way God reaches your heart seems to be mostly through Scripture?--Absolutely NOT! The wrong enters when someone thinks it's their job to tell someone else how God does speak to someone, how He should or could speak to someone, and if He isn't speaking to them the way you think He's supposed to communicate then either they're wrong or it must not be God speaking. C'mon--brother--do you not see the humanism with the little "g" god in this?

Not trying to be mean, rude, or crude, but you're a man and can't begin to think or feel like a woman so WHY would you judge a sister who can STILL remember when God spoke to her so clearly that it DID rock her world to the point she remembers it even today as though it had just happened and could probably tell you the exact message God gave her?!? Should I judge you because the way God reaches your heart seems to be mostly through Scripture?--Absolutely NOT! The wrong enters when someone thinks it's their job to tell someone else how God does speak to someone, how He should or could speak to someone, and if He isn't speaking to them the way you think He's supposed to communicate then either they're wrong or it must not be God speaking. C'mon--brother--do you not see the humanism with the little "g" god in this?

The Lord spoke and I listened. I endured a 15 month program to obtain a bachelors in nursing. For 15 months all I did was study, cry, pray for strength, and be the best mother I could be. I did it because I was told this was what my purpose on earth was. This would bring glory to Him. I spend my days working, bringing glory to God. I put my hands on his children and I work through him to help those people in their times of need. I go 24 hours without eating, I go 24 hours without sleeping. In the grand scheme of it, it's just another sacrifice I make to live out the life my Lord had planned for me. I know what I heard. I followed it and I've never been so happy. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.

@Asforme&myhouse
I am sure Kevin is talking figuratively not literal. That is how I took it anyway.
I’m not sure I understand what you you mean.

I’m sorry that that is how you took what I said and that I was unclear. That is exactly that opposite of what I was saying. I was saying that what she described sounds genuine. She wasn’t flippent about hearing God’s voice. It WAS impactful on her life and it sounds like she has a great reverence for God when he speaks. I was using her as a good example not a bad one. Cindy, I apologize that it sounded like i was attacking what you said. That was not my intention.

The Lord spoke and I listened. I endured a 15 month program to obtain a bachelors in nursing. For 15 months all I did was study, cry, pray for strength, and be the best mother I could be. I did it because I was told this was what my purpose on earth was. This would bring glory to Him. I spend my days working, bringing glory to God. I put my hands on his children and I work through him to help those people in their times of need. I go 24 hours without eating, I go 24 hours without sleeping. In the grand scheme of it, it's just another sacrifice I make to live out the life my Lord had planned for me. I know what I heard. I followed it and I've never been so happy. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.

There's nothing like serving others as you're in the service of the King!!! Best Boss in town, the benefits are out of sight, and the retirement plan can't be beat--woohoo!!
Can't wait to meet you Cindy! Blessings!

I’m sorry that that is how you took what I said and that I was unclear. That is exactly that opposite of what I was saying. I was saying that what she described sounds genuine. She wasn’t flippent about hearing God’s voice. It WAS impactful on her life and it sounds like she has a great reverence for God when he speaks. I was using her as a good example not a bad one. Cindy, I apologize that it sounded like i was attacking what you said. That was not my intention.

It's okay :) these are letters on a page with no emotion conveyed. Sometimes a story about ones experience can go further. I tend to be pretty private about certain things in my life, but opening up about things like this can be helpful.

Thank you, as4me. For sure apology accepted and further clarification much appreciated. :) I can tell you are seriously searching and pursuing this topic and trying to shed baggage you accumulated while growing up in your church setting. I know you'll get it whittled down, with the Lord's help, of course. Don't know of anywhere else that you could ask the hard questions you are asking and still be surrounded with love. Blessings!

Yes there are Historical text no they are not cannon. Scripture is full of times when mankind was not listening to G-d, time of silence, followed by G-d making a statement in a large way, 400 years of ignoring G-d He fulfills prophecy to Gibb slap the world.

Either you are being facetious with the questions you responded with trying to mock me for asking questions to try to get an understanding of were your coming from while showing where Im coming from or you just didn't understand the questions I was asking. Either way it's fine, I'll explain what I meant anyway.

People time and time again have turned there back on G-d. If they don't know HIM the won't understand HIM. He performs miracles everyday that people want to chalk up to coincidences or science because they don't understand HIM. There speaking a different language.

John 8:47
He that is of G-d heareth G-d's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of G-d.

If someone does not have ears to hear then they won't know His voice.

You asked, "how do you explain the 400 years of silence between the Old Testament and the new, or the other periods of silence?" That's how I would explain it. G-d being G-d did not abandon or ignore us for 400 years but we as ungrateful children ignored Him.

I believe Kevin was speaking not of an actual language of a different culture. Example, when we begin to learn Biblical truths we hear words like "Yahweh, Yeshua," or phrases that contain thee's, thou art, etc. If you are not familiar with verbiage or words you loose meaning to what is said. It is through growth, understanding and personal relationship that allow us to understand the Fathers heart. His personality becomes real and understood.
Does that make since? Help?

Back