• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thoughts on Halloween??

Madeline

Female
I hope it is ok for me to post this. I work in the children's section of the local library. We have many book readings and activities with the children, and of course we include all holidays to make them special. I do not consider Halloween a holiday, not do I personally celebrate Halloween. I do, however, work at a public library, so Halloween is included in our rotation of events. I have requested to only participate in the Fall festival books and activities, and requested not to be part of anything scary or Halloween specific. My church is pretty silent on the issue, leaving it to individual families to decide what they believe about participating in Halloween. I was curious what other Christians believe about Halloween?

It’s the most blatant of the holy days that are dedicated to the enemy of our souls.

It’s the most blatant of the holy days that are dedicated to the enemy of our souls.
I agree,which is why I do not participate. Interacting with the children is....interesting. they come to the library with such excitement about dressing up and getting candy. I find myself focusing on how special they are and loved, and redirecting our conversations away from Halloween.

I am glad you DON'T personally celebrate Halloween.

My church is pretty silent on the issue, leaving it to individual families to decide what they believe about participating in Halloween. I was curious what other Christians believe about Halloween?

upload_2021-10-30_16-53-38.jpeg

It is sad that your church is "silent on the issue"

Last edited:
Halloween isn’t something we celebrate in our family either. Neither of our families celebrated it when we were growing up, so we have never participated in it, nor would we want to.

I’m just pulling this from memory, so cannot remember which missionary told this story, but here goes. Said missionary recounted an experience he had where a local witch doctor ended up getting saved. Several years after the former witch doctor came to Christ, the missionary was able to come back stateside for a visit and brought the former witch doctor turned believer with him. when they got here they stopped at Walmart or some store like it to shop for a couple things. It was late October. When they turned and when down the isle with all the halloween masks the former witch doctor froze for a second and was like, why are these here?! The missionary explained what halloween was. Then the former witch doctor told the missionary that some of those masks were of specific demons that he used to communicate with and send to other villages to harm children.

There are some seriously dark and demonic roots to halloween.

Halloween isn’t something we celebrate in our family either. Neither of our families celebrated it when we were growing up, so we have never participated in it, nor would we want to.

I’m just pulling this from memory, so cannot remember which missionary told this story, but here goes. Said missionary recounted an experience he had where a local witch doctor ended up getting saved. Several years after the former witch doctor came to Christ, the missionary was able to come back stateside for a visit and brought the former witch doctor turned believer with him. when they got here they stopped at Walmart or some store like it to shop for a couple things. It was late October. When they turned and when down the isle with all the halloween masks the former witch doctor froze for a second and was like, why are these here?! The missionary explained what halloween was. Then the former witch doctor told the missionary that some of those masks were of specific demons that he used to communicate with and send to other villages to harm children.

There are some seriously dark and demonic roots to halloween.
This is fascinating! I had no idea...

I'm sorry, that was meant to say "nor do I personally participate" thank you for your feedback.
My BAD I miss quoted you. I fixed it, BUT, it was supposed to say... "I am glad you DON'T, personally celebrate Halloween."

I just did not want you to be confused about what I meant-- autocorrect gets me every time. I should reread before posting! No disrespect intended.

It's pure evil, and we have nothing to do with it.

We find it sad that so many churches are hosting "light parties" these days, to give children a "safe alternative" to halloween so they're not missing out on the fun. That just normalises the whole day. Churches should be rejecting evil, not mimicking it.

We don't particularly celebrate it, but do give candy to kids coming to our door. Maybe we shouldn't?
I have the same conundrum. I work this afternoon in the children's section of the library. They are having a "Trick or Treat Story Time," and we were asked to dress up. I am choosing to wear a fall sweater and scarf with autumn colors, but I am not dressing in a costume. I will read a Fall book, which I have chosen, but not a Halloween specific book. I will engage with the children about how special and creative they are, bit I will not glorify the holiday. I suppose I could request off every year on Halloween, but I already have insisted that I will not work on Sunday mornings due to attending church service. How are we to be "in the world but not of the world?" I do not want ANYTHING to do with anything satanic, but I also do not want to be so odd that no one gives any credence to anything I say.

How often do you have people coming to your door en mass? I have friends who hand out bible tracks and play worship music on Halloween. I also have friends who walk the subdivision and pray for those around them. I was very curious to get more opinions about this particular festival.

Me and my family don't celebrate Halloween either, it is clearly the devil's holiday. I am still shocked that Churches do this.

"take care that you be not ensnared to follow them, after they have been destroyed before you, and that you do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods?—that I also may do the same.’ You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way, for every abominable thing that the LORD hates they have done for their gods"

Even if we try to change the names, the meanings and stuff, we are still doing the evil traditions. All the of holidays that society celebrates has a very dark pagan root.

Halloween is like a dog turd wrapped in tinsel and tied with a ribbon
Looks fun and appealing at first sight but at the heart of it it’s still a dog turd.

We don't particularly celebrate it, but do give candy to kids coming to our door. Maybe we shouldn't?
I think if kids get candy every door they go to, it says to them "everyone does thiss, it iss normal and good". While if the odd house says "We don't do halloween" they might ask someone "why do some people not celebrate halloween?" and actually get thinking about it.

(really funny typo there, my keyboard played up and gave double s's, left as it actually fits!)

I think if kids get candy every door they go to, it says to them "everyone does thiss, it iss normal and good". While if the odd house says "We don't do halloween" they might ask someone "why do some people not celebrate halloween?" and actually get thinking about it.

I remember during one Halloween, my Dad (@Philip) told the child at our front door "we don't celebrate halloween", the child said "Oh my gosh!" as if it was the most shocking thing they had ever heard. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Yan
I think we pretty much all agree that Halloween is largely negative, but may differ on the extent to which we think so.

It also sounds like most of the folks here are more firmly against it than I am. I think y'all are probably right and that I should be more opposed to it than I am.

If you want an even more lively discussion, we could also throw in Christmas (winter solstice) and Easter (or Ishtar). o_O

Then maybe we will discuss how we should actually celebrate the Biblical feast holidays instead, avoiding shellfish and pork. Before we know it we can have another Torah observant vs typical Christian dialogue.:D

Back