• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thoughts on Halloween??

So weird how, at the end of the day, that’s what it boils down to.

@Bartato has a point.... once you see the accepted paganism behind Helloween, then you may as well research the other popular 'christian' holydays.... just sayin'

(I'll be leaving now... lol)
There’s a difference between holidays that are thought of by those enjoying them as celebrating evil things (halloween for instance) and those that are thought of as celebrating good things like kindness, thankfulness, giving, etc. Sure you can go digging deep to find some bad origins, but that’s kinda like kicking down the door to the back of the meat shop to make darn sure they are not sacrificing to idols.

I think we pretty much all agree that Halloween is largely negative, but may differ on the extent to which we think so.

It also sounds like most of the folks here are more firmly against it than I am. I think y'all are probably right and that I should be more opposed to it than I am.

If you want an even more lively discussion, we could also throw in Christmas (winter solstice) and Easter (or Ishtar). o_O

Then maybe we will discuss how we should actually celebrate the Biblical feast holidays instead, avoiding shellfish and pork. Before we know it we can have another Torah observant vs typical Christian dialogue.:D
I’m not sure everyone got your joke.

Parties are great. Costumes are fun. Candy is delicious. Joy and outdoor community activities are wonderful gifts from God.

None of those things should have any connection to macabre celebrations of the occult.
I have never once known anyone personally who enjoys Halloween that worships demons. Even Easter is tied to pagan roots. At some point, in my view, we simply resolve that the Earth is the Lord's and everything therein, and we rejoice in His goodness!

I have never once known anyone personally who enjoys Halloween that worships demons. Even Easter is tied to pagan roots. At some point, in my view, we simply resolve that the Earth is the Lord's and everything therein, and we rejoice in His goodness!
I stay far away from holidays of the world nowadays.

“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4:23-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭10:2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭18:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I have come to enjoy the set apart times and feasts in scripture and hope to come out of the ways of the world as much as I can understand and live set apart :)

I suppose that what I meant is that each day belongs to the Lord, and each day that we have breath within our lungs is a day that we should celebrate. There is always hope among the living, and there are none to far From the Shepard that He cannot find them.

The Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices.
Leviticus 18:1-3

But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.’”
Leviticus 18:26-30

2 Destroy completely all the places on the high mountains, on the hills and under every spreading tree, where the nations you are dispossessing worship their gods. 3 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and burn their Asherah poles in the fire; cut down the idols of their gods and wipe out their names from those places.

4 You must not worship the Lord your God in their way.
Deuteronomy 12:2-4

Some more verses if anyone is interested!

I saw a picture this morning of a Christian family all dressed up as ghosts. The caption said that the only ghost welcome in their house is the Holy Ghost.
They really didn't get it.

For what it's worth, Halloween wasn't ever even thought about in NZ when I was young. In fact, it wasn't until about 8 years ago that it got popular, the same time that the big shops started importing lots of stuff to buy for it. They weren't importing stuff because there was demand, they hyped everyone up and created the demand when they had the supplies in the shops.

I think we pretty much all agree that Halloween is largely negative, but may differ on the extent to which we think so.

It also sounds like most of the folks here are more firmly against it than I am. I think y'all are probably right and that I should be more opposed to it than I am.

If you want an even more lively discussion, we could also throw in Christmas (winter solstice) and Easter (or Ishtar). o_O

Then maybe we will discuss how we should actually celebrate the Biblical feast holidays instead, avoiding shellfish and pork. Before we know it we can have another Torah observant vs typical Christian dialogue.:D
Following your post people did start talking about Torah holidays, but I really think that is an entirely separate matter!

The vast majority of Christians in the world reject halloween. As far as I have seen, the only ones who celebrate it are Americans and Irish Catholics. I know from within one of those cultures it might seem like it's normal to celebrate halloween, and people who choose not to are going out on a limb serious religious types, maybe even starting thinking about Torah holidays etc - but that's a misconception. Most Christians already reject it simply because it's evil. The Americans and Irish Catholics are the weird ones.

As Sarah has said, halloween never existed over here when we were children. It does now though, because it was introduced in the 90's / 2000's by retailers looking to make money by selling trash. Basically, tonnes of crap is already manufactured in China for the American halloween market, so it was really cheap to buy wholesale, and retailers here saw the potential to make money if they could create demand for it. Which they successfully did. US culture is exported to the world in this way, through media and commerce. So secular people started celebrating halloween, it gradually became accepted over a couple of decades of intensive advertising push, largely by a chain store called The Warehouse (basically a mini version of Walmart).

But the Christians still, almost universally, see it as evil. Christians here don't celebrate halloween. They seek to work against this influence in our culture. However, some work against it by rejecting it entirely and praying against it. Others try to work against it by having "light parties" so kids can dress up and have fun that day, and not feel they are missing out on anything, but have no actual exposure to anything evil. I think this is seriously misguided - but in the minds of those organising these events, they are still rejecting halloween and genuinely trying to work against it.

Most Christians of all denominations have rejected this for all of history. It's got nothing to do with Torah holidays.

Following your post people did start talking about Torah holidays, but I really think that is an entirely separate matter!

The vast majority of Christians in the world reject halloween. As far as I have seen, the only ones who celebrate it are Americans and Irish Catholics. I know from within one of those cultures it might seem like it's normal to celebrate halloween, and people who choose not to are going out on a limb serious religious types, maybe even starting thinking about Torah holidays etc - but that's a misconception. Most Christians already reject it simply because it's evil. The Americans and Irish Catholics are the weird ones.

As Sarah has said, halloween never existed over here when we were children. It does now though, because it was introduced in the 90's / 2000's by retailers looking to make money by selling trash. Basically, tonnes of crap is already manufactured in China for the American halloween market, so it was really cheap to buy wholesale, and retailers here saw the potential to make money if they could create demand for it. Which they successfully did. US culture is exported to the world in this way, through media and commerce. So secular people started celebrating halloween, it gradually became accepted over a couple of decades of intensive advertising push, largely by a chain store called The Warehouse (basically a mini version of Walmart).

But the Christians still, almost universally, see it as evil. Christians here don't celebrate halloween. They seek to work against this influence in our culture. However, some work against it by rejecting it entirely and praying against it. Others try to work against it by having "light parties" so kids can dress up and have fun that day, and not feel they are missing out on anything, but have no actual exposure to anything evil. I think this is seriously misguided - but in the minds of those organising these events, they are still rejecting halloween and genuinely trying to work against it.

Most Christians of all denominations have rejected this for all of history. It's got nothing to do with Torah holidays.
Growing up in the US I just naturally assumed most countries celebrated our holidays. We Americans have a bad habit of assuming everyone is like us and if they are not they should be...

Sadly here I find most Christians in my part of the country absolutely despise God and his word, there is another god that has been fabricated carefully in the churches to appease tingling ears. Halloween is a big part of American lukewarm Christianity and it’s denominations.

We don't celebrate or observe pagan holidays like Halloween, MLK Day, Cesar Chavez Day, Labor Day, May Day, or etc.

We don't celebrate or observe pagan holidays like Halloween, MLK Day, Cesar Chavez Day, Labor Day, May Day, or etc.

Add Christmas and Easter to that and you have a good start to the list... Although I hadn't heard that labor day was pagan? I'm interested in the support for that claim?

Back