• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thoughts on Polygamist Pastors?

No, I think it makes most sense as being "Man first wife", ie someone who has been faithful to the wife of his youth and can set an example to the remainder of the congregation of the faithfulness that all Christians are to have to their wives, to each other, and that God has to us.

Having said that, given there is forgiveness and life is complex, that may also apply to a man who retains the wife he had at conversion even if he had divorced and remarried prior to that. It might also apply to a man who has attempted to the best of his ability to retain the wife of his youth, and in the view of the elders is not responsible for her failure to reciprocate this faithfulness. Real life is complicated, some of these things may be guidelines rather than set in stone.

But the word "first" indicates they are setting an example that is strongly encouraged elsewhere, so fits into one consistent scriptural message.
The interpretation "a" means they should be married, which is plausible but doesn't really match up with other passages.
The interpretation of "only one" or "no more than one" contradicts the general thrust of the remainder of scripture, so isn't valid in my view. And if it IS the correct interpretation, and I am wrong, God will recognise that it was quite easy to get that one wrong and won't be too harsh on those people who disobeyed through misunderstanding.

Given Paul was talking to Greeks, they only ever have 1 wife. So it likely is 'first' or 'a'. Although it could be 'one' in that he hasn't divorced and remarried several times. But 'first' would have that meaning as well.

Given Paul was talking to Greeks,

While its true that Paul was addressing Timothy who was half Greek and raised in a Greek culture, it is also pertinent to note that Timothy was raised to be fluent in the scriptures by his Jewish mother and grandmother. To assume that Paul is catering to a Greek culture in his address to Timothy is most likely incorrect.

In languages that have masculine / feminine words, there is generally an appropriate use of each. Maybe it's appropriate to refer to fig trees using the feminine form of 1? @frederick could elaborate.
The Greek word for the fig tree is feminine in gender however the fig (fruit) is neuter in gender. So yes, using a feminine word is appropriate in references to the tree but neuter in references to the fruit. Cheers

Mia is best realized as a or one as in a minimum of existence. It there is not at least one person or a person present in a room then the room is empty.

So then the verse would mean that an elder or deacon must be married to at least one wife. Single men (those without families or a track record) would be excluded. That would seem to make a lot of sense in the context.

In languages that have masculine / feminine words, there is generally an appropriate use of each.

That is true. I remember from college that French is like this. Some words are masculine, and some are feminine. Not clear who or when it got decided, but that is just the way it was.

That is true. I remember from college that French is like this. Some words are masculine, and some are feminine. Not clear who or when it got decided, but that is just the way it was.
German is like that and in the little bit of it I took in an aborted college attempt it seems like they made sense when you thought about it. Doors are masculine and that made sense. It seemed like anything phallic was masculine. I don’t remember finding any of them that didn’t fit somehow.

Agree with your take on the verse Rich.

I am not sure why, but R Lee Tyler seems to have a burr under his saddle about this issue. It would not surprise me if he ends up deleting your excellent comment @Verifyveritas76 .

He deleted it and also my podcast post that was up for weeks and blocked me until the end of the month! lol!!

Given Paul was talking to Greeks, they only ever have 1 wife. So it likely is 'first' or 'a'. Although it could be 'one' in that he hasn't divorced and remarried several times. But 'first' would have that meaning as well.
Actually, the Greek culture, though monogamous in form, was excessive in its divorce and remarriage. Therefore, 'first' actually carries a lot of weight!

Actually, the Greek culture, though monogamous in form, was excessive in its divorce and remarriage. Therefore, 'first' actually carries a lot of weight!

Good point. I guess what I was trying to say was... the audience most likely didn't have people with multiple wives. Paul and Timothy were apostles to the Greeks after all.

Good point. I guess what I was trying to say was... the audience most likely didn't have people with multiple wives. Paul and Timothy were apostles to the Greeks after all.
To the Gentiles. The Church of Ephesus altough it had Greeks in it also had those native to Turkey who also came from a cultral background that practiced polygyny as well. It like the Church in Galatians was comprised of many ethnic Groups with some coming from cultrues that practised Polygyny, monogamy, perpetual celibacy (in some cases, state of being unmarried), etc. Paul addressed them all.

To the Gentiles. The Church of Ephesus altough it had Greeks in it also had those native to Turkey who also came from a cultral background that practiced polygyny as well. It like the Church in Galatians was comprised of many ethnic Groups with some coming from cultrues that practised Polygyny, monogamy, perpetual celibacy (in some cases, state of being unmarried), etc. Paul addressed them all.

Good point. I would just wonder though, did the Gauls in Turkey practice their native polygyny or were they Roman law and monogamous in legal marriage? They were under Roman rule afterall.

Who is R Lee Tyler? A quick search didn’t turn anything up.

He is long time polygamy guy out of San Diego. He runs a very large Christian polygamy group on Facebook. I am a co-moderator. I agreed to help him out I think in 2018.

My take was that he’s pretty insecure in his theology. He was also pretty open that he has personal issues with BF.

Yes. I pinged him privately about that, specifically this quote, "I am unwelcome by some in the leadership of BiblicalFamilies.org because I believe that the bisexuality of wives while they are together being sexually intimate with their own man is the sin of homosexuality."

I find this very hard to believe with all of the diverse opinions we have here. We shall see what he says. It is not right for him to slander the leading Christian polygamy ministry, especially without facts.

I expect my days as co-moderator are numbered.

Back