• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Throw out the sourdough starter...

Experience with the feast of unleavened bread? Yip, my kids LOVE this!
I know nothing about sourdough if that's what you're asking about.

Lol, yes. What to do with the starter... if it’s in the fridge it’s technically dormant but then so is dry yeast which we do throw out... but you hear about people with sourdough starters that are generations old... I was just wondering what others do.

Move the sourdough starter out of the house, off the property if you can, for the week.

I throw it out and start a fresh batch immediately after unleavened. Yeast goes, too.

Technically, in Egypt, they didn't have or use dry yeast like we have. Everything was based on sourdough starter created from natural yeast spores. It was that starter that was thrown out and a new one started after they crossed the Red Sea.

Easy and cheap to start a new batch, just takes a few days.

Lol, yes. What to do with the starter... if it’s in the fridge it’s technically dormant but then so is dry yeast which we do throw out... but you hear about people with sourdough starters that are generations old... I was just wondering what others do.
Do you have a friend that can baby sit your starter for you?

Dry yeast is not a leavened product. Anything leavened (risen because of Leven) is what we are supposed to get rid of. It isn't supposed to be found within our gates. So definitely not in the house. I would also say not on your property. My take on it is burn it or trash it...

Dry yeast is not a leavened product. Anything leavened (risen because of Leven) is what we are supposed to get rid of. It isn't supposed to be found within our gates. So definitely not in the house. I would also say not on your property. My take on it is burn it or trash it...
Are we to throw out the leavenED or the leaven?

Connoisseurs of sourdough starters are presently being restrained, if not sedated......

The whole idea of getting someone to have the starter in their house and just move it out of your house for the week is sus IMO. The Jews like to give their leavened products to someone else to look after for the week and then get them back because then it's not technically in their house. But that's missing the point. First, the bible says to remove the leaven from all of Israel, not just their house. Secondly, it's meant to be representing sin. Why would you want to give your sin to someone else for the week and then get it back? It messes with the whole idea of what you're supposed to be doing - the reason for the season, if you will.

Being dormant doesn't matter if it's still leavened or got leaven in it at all. It needs to go. However, I will say that you don't need to be as strict as the Jews as they won't eat anything if it has the chance of having gathered yeast from the air, like when you're making unleavened bread, it has to be made and cooked within 20 mins or it might possibly have some yeast, but that's just silly and completely ignores what the Israelites actually did in the bible anyway. If you're making it fresh, not adding leaven, then it's fine.

Is this waffle making sense from a very sleep deprived mum first thing in the morning? (Nope, waffles are out too ;) )

Technically, in Egypt, they didn't have or use dry yeast like we have. Everything was based on sourdough starter created from natural yeast spores. It was that starter that was thrown out and a new one started after they crossed the Red Sea.

And technically, as soon as the early Americans were free of one beast system/baal government....after they crossed the sea, they immediately made a new one. :cool:

The law was the schoolmaster.... imho the Jews that @FollowingHim2 describes wrote (or graded?) their own tests and flunked out.

Good question for @The Revolting Man to answer for his house. :)

Matthew 13:33 (KJV)
Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Be careful not to go overboard with the details.

The fundamental point of this is to illustrate a scriptural principle.

Sourdough starter is specifically and clearly addressed in scripture. It's the very topic of the whole thing. Just burn it. That's the practical illustration of the principle.

There are then loads of other things you could ask questions about. Modern dry yeast, other raising agents, dead yeast extract products... We've had different levels of "legalism" regarding these in different years. But at the end of the day, you have to come back to the principle.

The purpose is to illustrate removing sin from your life, and to remember a historical event.

In reality, there's yeast in the air all the time. So you cannot actually remove all yeast from your home - if you could, you couldn't start another sourdough starter later. You're really just pretending to remove all yeast from your home, to illustrate a principle. What matters is the principle. So it honestly doesn't matter what you decide to do on all these peripheral modern questions that are not addressed in scripture - provided you use whatever you do to reinforce the principle and not detract from it.

So you could decide to call any of these "leaven" and then get rid of them diligently, or decide to not call them "leaven" and ignore them, just using sourdough starter and bread to illustrate the principle. The only thing you shouldn't do is to call something "leaven" and then fail to remove it, because that means you're breaking the principle.

The point of this feast is that God has picked something that can be used to illustrate sin - leavened dough / bread - which you then go out of your way to remove all traces of from your home - as a reminder that with REAL sin you should be willing to go to even greater lengths to remove every last trace of it from your life. But I don't think it would have mattered one bit if God had picked a different thing to illustrate the point, because it's not actually about yeast. It's about sin.

Are we to throw out the leavenED or the leaven?

Strong's Definition
From H7604; barm or yeast cake (as swelling by fermentation): - leaven.
Brown-Driver-Briggs' Definition
leaven

It's items that are risen because of the yeast. It isn't talking about the items that can be mixed to cause rising but have not risen themselves.

You just admitted that they didn't have dry yeast. And I agree they didn't that's not what its talking about.

Do you remove wine and beer?

And technically, as soon as the early Americans were free of one beast system/baal government....after they crossed the sea, they immediately made a new one. :cool:

What does this have to do with anything?

The law was the schoolmaster.... imho the Jews that @FollowingHim2 describes wrote (or graded?) their own tests and flunked out.

Flunked out of what? I agree they are doing it wrong in many cases and they need to repent but the subtle antisemitism is not appreciated. Judah (Jews) are part of Israel descendants of Abraham and speaking against them puts you at odds with the word. Genesis 12:3

The fundamental point of this is to illustrate a scriptural principle.

Sourdough starter is specifically and clearly addressed in scripture. It's the very topic of the whole thing. Just burn it. That's the practical illustration of the principle.

There are then loads of other things you could ask questions about. Modern dry yeast, other raising agents, dead yeast extract products... We've had different levels of "legalism" regarding these in different years. But at the end of the day, you have to come back to the principle.

The purpose is to illustrate removing sin from your life, and to remember a historical event.

In reality, there's yeast in the air all the time. So you cannot actually remove all yeast from your home - if you could, you couldn't start another sourdough starter later. You're really just pretending to remove all yeast from your home, to illustrate a principle. What matters is the principle. So it honestly doesn't matter what you decide to do on all these peripheral modern questions that are not addressed in scripture - provided you use whatever you do to reinforce the principle and not detract from it.

So you could decide to call any of these "leaven" and then get rid of them diligently, or decide to not call them "leaven" and ignore them, just using sourdough starter and bread to illustrate the principle. The only thing you shouldn't do is to call something "leaven" and then fail to remove it, because that means you're breaking the principle.

The point of this feast is that God has picked something that can be used to illustrate sin - leavened dough / bread - which you then go out of your way to remove all traces of from your home - as a reminder that with REAL sin you should be willing to go to even greater lengths to remove every last trace of it from your life. But I don't think it would have mattered one bit if God had picked a different thing to illustrate the point, because it's not actually about yeast. It's about sin.
BURN THE HOUSE!!! :D:D:D

Exodus 12:15 (KJV)
Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

Please notice that there is no punishment proscribed for failing to clean out the leaven adequately, but ONLY for eating leavened bread.
In an over abundance of caution our Jewish friends had a tendency to take Yah’s commands beyond what He asked.

Leaven is used both to demonstrate both sin and the Kingdom of Heaven. I don’t see how the idea that we are to copy the historical fact of them eating bread that had to be baked hurriedly gets expanded into leaven equals sin and must be removed, only to be resurrected a week later.

Leaven is used both to demonstrate both sin and the Kingdom of Heaven. I don’t see how the idea that we are to copy the historical fact of them eating bread that had to be baked hurriedly gets expanded into leaven equals sin and must be removed, only to be resurrected a week later.
You make a good point here @steve. It is easy to accept an idea because it sounds logical and lines up with other scriptures, without fully examining whether it is necessarily correct and whether it truly is related to those other scriptures it appears on first glance to align with. Hmmm...

The whole idea of getting someone to have the starter in their house and just move it out of your house for the week is sus IMO
Haha my comment was just to be funny. Some people are intense about their sourdough and the care involved. I have no clue what one should do in reality for this topic :p

Matthew 13:33 (KJV)
Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Be careful not to go overboard with the details.

That is really interesting @steve .
Three measures. Jew, Gentile ten tribes, and strangers?

Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. V11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees? 12Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

So we can see here that the kingdom of heaven is like "good leaven" that spreads and grows until the whole is leavened. (The kingdoms of the earth are become the kingdom of our God and of His Christ).....but there is the other kind of doctrine we should beware of.
@Pacman
Gen. 12:3 Was to YOU (Abraham) not to all of his descendants which would include Arabs, Edomites, those from Keturah's children, and all of Israel. My criticism is because of their pharisee doctrines, not them descending from Abraham. The way that word "antisemitism" is used selectively, but not being applied to all semites means it is more like the modern concept of "misgendering" then it is about the ethnicity of the one crying foul. I refuse to get paranoid that I might be criticizing a descendant of Abraham.....or misgendering someone. If the fruit resembles pharisee.....I am comfortable being critical. And I too am an Israelite. You might be careful of where you swing the antisemite stick or you might hit yourself with it.
Perhaps this concept of "antisemitism" is part of the leaven we were warned about. They thought themselves above reproach back then too.

Back