• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Throw out the sourdough starter...

That is really interesting @steve .
Three measures. Jew, Gentile ten tribes, and strangers?

Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. V11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees? 12Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

So we can see here that the kingdom of heaven is like "good leaven" that spreads and grows until the whole is leavened. (The kingdoms of the earth are become the kingdom of our God and of His Christ).....but there is the other kind of doctrine we should beware of.
@Pacman
Gen. 12:3 Was to YOU (Abraham) not to all of his descendants which would include Arabs, Edomites, those from Keturah's children, and all of Israel. My criticism is because of their pharisee doctrines, not them descending from Abraham. The way that word "antisemitism" is used selectively, but not being applied to all semites means it is more like the modern concept of "misgendering" then it is about the ethnicity of the one crying foul. I refuse to get paranoid that I might be criticizing a descendant of Abraham.....or misgendering someone. If the fruit resembles pharisee.....I am comfortable being critical. And I too am an Israelite. You might be careful of where you swing the antisemite stick or you might hit yourself with it.
Perhaps this concept of "antisemitism" is part of the leaven we were warned about. They thought themselves above reproach back then too.

Yes I get the point its not just the Jews who are descendents and I'm not saying you can't be critical of wrong doing in fact it's good to be critical of it. You seem to have a special kind of criticism aimed at Jews that doesn't stop at just pointing out the wrongdoing. You know exactly what I meant by antisemitism even if it isn't exactly technically correct. You have demonstrated over and over again that you have a dislike for the Jews and that's what I'm calling out.

Connoisseurs of sourdough starters are presently being restrained, if not sedated......

Amen! We observe Passover every year because it's part of Easter/Resurrection. The Last Supper was a Passover seder so it is definitely right to include it in the Christian tradition but there is no way I'm throwing out my sweet sourdough starter!!! I follow the Jewish tradition and the kids help me clean the kitchen and then they go looking for the hidden piece of matzoh but no way am I getting rid of my precious starter! I cringed just thinking about it!

Amen! We observe Passover every year because it's part of Easter/Resurrection. The Last Supper was a Passover seder so it is definitely right to include it in the Christian tradition but there is no way I'm throwing out my sweet sourdough starter!!! I follow the Jewish tradition and the kids help me clean the kitchen and then they go looking for the hidden piece of matzoh but no way am I getting rid of my precious starter! I cringed just thinking about it!
Many don’t realize that not all bacteria are created equal. The right combination can taste better than just any old bacteria wafting through.

Yes I get the point its not just the Jews who are descendents and I'm not saying you can't be critical of wrong doing in fact it's good to be critical of it. You seem to have a special kind of criticism aimed at Jews that doesn't stop at just pointing out the wrongdoing. You know exactly what I meant by antisemitism even if it isn't exactly technically correct. You have demonstrated over and over again that you have a dislike for the Jews and that's what I'm calling out.
callout
noun

call·out | \ ˈkȯl-ˌau̇t \
Definition of callout

transitive verb

1: to summon into actioncall out troops
2: to challenge to a duel
3: to order on strikecall out the workers
4: to publicly criticize or fault (someone)

Now 1 and 3 obviously are out. I'm pretty sure you don't want to debate....so scratch number 2.
Since I am not a part of your household your preferences carry zero weight. I suggest if you want to publically fault or criticize me you include the scripture verses or principles you believe apply.

To be clear and restate our position. Messianic Jews are 100% accepted by us as members of the body of Christ/Messiah.
Those called Jews that reject Yeshua/Jesus are not part of the body.
I know of no passage that instructs us to "like" those who reject Yeshua.

What I said about them "writing or grading their own tests and flunking out" is me describing the results of their attempts to perfect lawful living. They have written 40,000 pages of Talmud.....and still have not realized the purpose of the "schoolmaster."

Do they need Christ? Yes!
My problem with the politically correct (per)version of christianity is that it tries to be "loving" by affirming people in their sickness (homosexuals for example) instead of calling them to repentance and faith.
I am happy to be a nonconformist/heretic in this modern world.

Late to the party because I just joined! For what it's worth, here are my thoughts - though more on a practical side than a theological side. I throw out my sourdough starter every year because it seems to me that's what scripture is saying. Get rid of it!
The first year I threw my starter out I was a little bit "sad" (not the right word, but for lack of anything else coming to my head). Then after the Feast of Unleavened Bread was over, I started a new starter. When my new starter was strong enough to make bread, it made THE BEST BREAD. It's like my starter NEEDED to be new. My old starter was still just fine with making bread, however the new starter made much better bread - texture, taste. I find this to be the case every year now and always look forward to removing the leaven and starting over. The better new starter was actually another confirmation or 'witness' to me that I was / am doing the right thing.
I've worked exclusively with sourdough for so long now that I don't even know how to use the modern dry active yeast anymore. It's not good for you. You do you and I'll do me, but I'm just saying, it's like the first fast food of our modern times! It's not sustainable - just like genetically modified foods that cannot reproduce. A real sourdough starter is alive. It all just fascinates me and yes, I really enjoy the subject.
Thanks for bearing with my rambling thoughts.

Late to the party because I just joined! For what it's worth, here are my thoughts - though more on a practical side than a theological side. I throw out my sourdough starter every year because it seems to me that's what scripture is saying. Get rid of it!
The first year I threw my starter out I was a little bit "sad" (not the right word, but for lack of anything else coming to my head). Then after the Feast of Unleavened Bread was over, I started a new starter. When my new starter was strong enough to make bread, it made THE BEST BREAD. It's like my starter NEEDED to be new. My old starter was still just fine with making bread, however the new starter made much better bread - texture, taste. I find this to be the case every year now and always look forward to removing the leaven and starting over. The better new starter was actually another confirmation or 'witness' to me that I was / am doing the right thing.
I've worked exclusively with sourdough for so long now that I don't even know how to use the modern dry active yeast anymore. It's not good for you. You do you and I'll do me, but I'm just saying, it's like the first fast food of our modern times! It's not sustainable - just like genetically modified foods that cannot reproduce. A real sourdough starter is alive. It all just fascinates me and yes, I really enjoy the subject.
Thank you, that was interesting.

I love this! Hopefully I can become a better sourdough baker someday. I absolutely agree with your dry yeast comment too.

I thought I could find a 'private message' button so I could have a private chat, but I can't find one. Does one exist?
Yes. Click on the name of the member you want to start a private conversation with. A rectangular smaller window will open up, and there you'll see a link that says, "Start a Conversation."

fungi's expel gas and that's what makes dough rise
o_O
i just saw that on the internet thanks to you all...
Absolutely. You're welcome.

And yogurt is just bacteria poop.

That goes for cheese and kombucha and buttermilk and cottage cheese, as well.

But your body depends on those bacteria. They are probiotics. And it's all part of the cycle of life created by our Creator. Nothing goes to waste (no pun intended)!

Back