• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Thy Covenant Wife: Malachi 2:14

I know the definition of the word.
The confusion is in the fact you don’t know the definition of the word. So we’re all talking past each other. Everyone has their own made up definition for the word. So nobody is talking about the same thing.

I thought you hadn't read the scripture on covenant. What is the definition according to God's word then?

I thought you hadn't read the scripture on covenant. What is the definition according to God's word then?
Why are you being so reticent with this information you’ve gleaned? You know I’m not going to stop and do a 284 verse study on covenant generally. Is this a delaying tactic to not have to deal with deafening silence of scripture on covenants in marriage?

Why are you being so reticent with this information you’ve gleaned? You know I’m not going to stop and do a 284 verse study on covenant generally. Is this a delaying tactic to not have to deal with deafening silence of scripture on covenants in marriage?
Because as we already discussed offline. You aren't going to hear what I found unless you read it yourself. You said as much via texts. I'd be wasting my time. I have more important things to do than regurgitate knowledge you're capable of obtaining in an evening.

It's not going to change the temperature in my pool one degree if you go on believing there's no covenant to a marriage. So it's fine with me if we disagree. But I'm not dumb enough to try to get a donkey to drink. :p

Gotta get to shoveling, I have a few cubic yards of soil to cut and shovel by hand so I can get my stupid sawmill set up finally.

Because as we already discussed offline. You aren't going to hear what I found unless you read it yourself. You said as much via texts. I'd be wasting my time. I have more important things to do than regurgitate knowledge you're capable of obtaining in an evening.

It's not going to change the temperature in my pool one degree if you go on believing there's no covenant to a marriage. So it's fine with me if we disagree. But I'm not dumb enough to try to get a donkey to drink. :p

Gotta get to shoveling, I have a few cubic yards of soil to cut and shovel by hand so I can get my stupid sawmill set up finally.
WooHoo Sawmill! what did you get? I have a little TMG.

Oh man, we were so close to solving this thing too. Oh well. Back to endless debate.

To me, a covenant is an agreement.
It does not need to be formal.

I don’t see how a woman can be in a marriage without being in agreement about being in that relationship.

Well if a woman is unmarried and raped the man must marry her or if she is a slave.
Also a father does not have to ask his daughter as well if she wants to marry just look at Mary.

Wife: Be a helper to your husband (Covenant) Yes
Unmarried Raped Woman: “the man who raped her is to give the young woman's father fifty silver shekels, and she will become his wife"
Concubine: a wife or sexual partner of secondary status (Covenant) No
Bonds/Slave Woman: a woman held in forced servitude (Covenant) No
Handmaiden: a female servant who serves her mistress (Covenant) No

Last edited:
I’m broadly okay with this interpretation, which I believe I pointed out last time is quite close to my own belief.

I have the caveat that a covenant without sex can only be maintained temporarily or the one flesh wouldn’t form and sex without the covenant forms the one flesh. All of that isn’t necessarily the point here though.

I still want to understand the gender swap on Judah and what makes the wife of his youth a covenant wife.

I’m sorry but ketubah like documents don’t cut it for me. Those are literally nowhere in scripture.

Possible, The fact that one is talking about G-d has The Head/Husband and Judah as The Head/Husband different viewpoints?

To me, a covenant is an agreement.
It does not need to be formal.

I don’t see how a woman can be in a marriage without being in agreement about being in that relationship.

This is how....Exodus 22:16-17. God's ways are not our ways.

Switching gears back to the OP, I find this verse add's an interesting dimension...

"That is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood." - Heb 9:18

This isn't just a thing of the Old Covenant. In scripture many if not all were put into effect with blood (such as Gen 17, Gen 15, and I expect others). So what does this have to do with marriage?

We see in Exodus 22:16-17 and Deut 22:13-29 the normalcy and importance of virgin marriage. Those marriages are consummated in blood (and only those marriages).

And in the New Testament we see in Romans 7:2 marriage spoken of as if it is a covenant, speaking of her being under the law of her husband, this word law being the same one used in referring to the Old Covenant and the context itself being marriage as an analogy for our life in Christ and His setting us free from the Mosaic Covenant; Christ's covenant again as in Heb, one set in effect with blood

Last edited:
The confusion is in the fact you don’t know the definition of the word. So we’re all talking past each other. Everyone has their own made up definition for the word. So nobody is talking about the same thing.

Which is to be expected given that the word 'marriage' isn't even in the Bible. That word in English is usually either added or is a translation of a verb (usually to dower or to give her to a man) into a noun (marriage). This (https://biblehub.com/greek/5220.htm) is instructive of how the scriptures typically speak about the marital relationship..."under the power of or subject to a man".

And in the New Testament we see in Romans 7:2 marriage spoken of as if it is a covenant, speaking of her being under the law of her husband, this word law being the same one used in referring to the Old Covenant and the context itself being marriage as an analogy for our life in Christ and His setting us free from the Mosaic Covenant; Christ's covenant again as in Heb, one set in effect with blood
This is about the law concerning remarriage that is found in the covenant.

Which is to be expected given that the word 'marriage' isn't even in the Bible. That word in English is usually either added or is a translation of a verb (usually to dower or to give her to a man) into a noun (marriage). This (https://biblehub.com/greek/5220.htm) is instructive of how the scriptures typically speak about the marital relationship..."under the power of or subject to a man".
The word I was referring to was “covenant”, not “marriage”.

....Everyone has their own made up definition for the word...
I have recently started to refrain from using the word "marriage" and now prefer to use the word "union" for this very same reason.

Dealing with people from different countries and cultures this word seems to work in clarifying the understanding across the board.

(Side story feel free to skip past) 》》》

Many years ago I was dealing with a brother who is the manager of a female singer. Her father, before he died, took both their hands and placed his daughters hands in the hands of this man and said he was giving his daughter to him, they went and had sex. Now, this man (who I came to find out later has a habit of breaking business agreements and being a false accuser), came to me attempting to justify his plan to get rid of this woman. Needless to say I told him in no uncertain terms, (he got heated and I wasn't "nice") that they were married in the eyes of YAH and thatthat1 she is his woman his wife. Before that he didn't think he was "married", because he was equating it with the worlds understanding of "marriage". Thankfully as far as I checked on up to this year they are still together.

*EDIT*
I was obviously incorrect as to what you were referring to, I read it as you referring to the word marriage hence what I wrote.

Last edited:
The word I was referring to was “covenant”, not “marriage”.
I did an article to define the difference between covenant and contract in relation to marriage, they are different, but a union is a union

What about “marriage” is negotiable ?
It looks like a purchase agreement made between men, the woman being the item agreed upon.
The father calls for a blank scroll, and writes up a marriage contract
Possible, The fact that one is talking about G-d has The Head/Husband and Judah as The Head/Husband different viewpoints?
It fits in my mind that a covenant of marriage is supposed to be made between a groom and the father of the bride, not between the bride and groom. Of course, we Western peoples almost exclusively don't see it that way. Romanticized people have a perverted sense of marriage and also have a hard time understanding that it is unusual for the girl to have a say in the matter at all. We are raised with a different understanding nowadays, and it's difficult to shake that worldview. With that clouding our vision, it's hard to grasp the picture being drawn that would have been clear as day to men who had an unfettered understanding of God's design.

I'm not saying my vision is clear as day, but it does make a lot of sense to me to take that handful of excerpts from the insights y'all have provided, plus verse 11, and put them together to make a plausible interpretation: the wife is the sanctuary or the temple, the covenant was between her father (God) and her husband (Judah), Judah violated that agreement, God came to collect. Does this fit in your eyes?

Back