• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Useful Scripture References

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Thought I'd add some useful scripture references in a post. This came up as a single friend of my wife was asking for 2 references in the OT and 2 from the NT that supported the idea of a man having more than one wife.
  1. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
    1. All scripture, including the following two which give instructions to men who have more than one wife, or take additional wives alongside the previous wife.
  2. Deuteronomy 21:15-17
  3. Exodus 21:10
These three should end all debate and discussion. Here's the If/Then logic:

If: 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

And the instructions BY God TO men, in how to conduct themselves IF they take another wife, and HOW to handle inheritance if they like one wife more than the other one are instructions in how to be righteous....

Then: Taking another wife alongside the first must then logically be within the bounds of righteousness unless they can find a clear prohibition against it. Since there does not exist a single law against it, prohibition of the practice, denouncement from God, or single condemnation...

AND God chooses to model polygynous marriage to us in allegory in the OT, as well as parable in the NT, we can only conclude that obeying him is righteousness, and mirroring His behavior is acceptable and to be praised.

The following are some of the best I've found that don't take much thought to wrap one's mind around. This is important because most people struggle wrapping their minds around the idea. I have a larger list but the rest mostly just flesh out the picture and put flesh on the bones.
  1. 1 Samuel 25:40-43
    1. Some of David’s wives (no rebuke or correction from God)
  2. 2 Samuel 12:1-8
    1. Pay special attention to the fact that God said if David asked for more wives, God would have given him more.
  3. 1 Kings 15:5 & 2 Samuel 5:13
    1. He took many wives and it was right in the sight of God.
  4. 1 Chronicles 2:18 & 46-48
    1. Caleb entered the promised land with multiple wives when moses was excluded for one sin of unbelief.
  5. 2 Chronicles 11&12
    1. Rehoboam had 78 wives and concubines while he kept the Law of God.
  6. 2 Chronicles 24:1-3
    1. Joash had 2 wives that the High Priest got for him and God said it was right in His eyes.
  7. Genesis 30:18
    1. Leah said God gave her a reward for giving her handmaid to be Jacob’s wife.
  8. Song of Solomon 1:4 & 6:8
    1. The wife of Solomon speaks in a plural fashion. God chose to describe His relationship with us like Solomon’s with his many wives. The Shulamite is the 141st wife.
  9. Jeremiah 3 & 31:27,31-32
    1. You divorce wives, two sisters are listed as the wives of God the Father. Ahola and Aholiba
  10. Ezekiel 16&23
    1. God married two sisters, Ahola (Samaria/Israel) and Aholiba (Jerusalem/Judah) God does not tolerate or abide sin, he does not portray himself as sinful even in allegory.
  11. Isaiah 4
    1. Isaiah 3 is destruction, 4 is God dwelling with the people who have been made clean, where 7 women will be the wives of one man. A woman’s reproach is almost always childlessness in scripture. The other excused requirements are a reference to Exodus 21:10. God does not dwell with sin.
  12. Matthew 22:1-10 & 25:1-13
    1. You need to read the Greek because the translators changed plural words (γάμους gamous) to singular forms (γάμος gamos) contrary to what Jesus clearly said.

The below bold words are using the plural word instead of the singular form as it was written in all the Greek manuscripts but mysteriously the translators changed it into a different word that presumably matches the monogamy only teachings of the catholic church.

Mat 22:1
And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,
Mat 22:2
The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made marriages for his son,
Mat 22:3
And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the weddings: and they would not come.
Mat 22:4
Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriages.
Mat 22:5
But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
Mat 22:6
And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
Mat 22:7
But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
Mat 22:8
Then saith he to his servants, The wedding (singular marriage feast) is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy.
Mat 22:9
Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriages.
Mat 22:10
So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the weddings [were] furnished with guests.
Mat 22:11
And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding (singular) garment:
Mat 22:12
And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding (singular) garment? And he was speechless.
Mat 22:13
Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Many what are called? Many brides. I’m not an outsider, I have a “one spirit” relationship with Jesus like a husband has a “one flesh” relationship with his wife. I’m not a “bridesmaid” who would be excluded from being married to the Lamb. This is paralleled in the following parable where the Bridegroom (Jesus) takes 5 virgin brides to the marriage chamber where the marriages plural were consummated.

Mat 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
Mat 25:2
And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
Mat 25:3
They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
Mat 25:4
But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
Mat 25:5
While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
Mat 25:6
And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Mat 25:7
Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
Mat 25:8
And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
Mat 25:9
But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
Mat 25:10
And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriages: and the door was shut.
Mat 25:11
Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
Mat 25:12
But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know (the hebrew use of “know” is sexual intimacy) you not.
Mat 25:13
Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

13. 1 Timothy 4:1-3
  1. Forbidding a woman to marry an already married man, and forbidding a man who is married from marrying an eligible woman is forbidding to marry.

Nick, the first part, down through the If-Then would make a marvelous infographic...

Very nice collection..

Also, add Jeremiah 33:24... two families...

Genesis 30:6 Rachel also credits Yah for the blessing of a,son through Bilhah...

Also, add Jeremiah 33:24... two families...

Genesis 30:6 Rachel also credits Yah for the blessing of a,son through Bilhah...
Didn't have either of these in my list! Thanks!

Moses Vindicated by God Directly

Here we have a passage where Moses took a second wife (40 years after Zipporah [still to be verified]). The second wife was from Ethiopia 1000 miles as the crow flies across the red sea from closest point to closest point. More accurately 2000 miles overland to any major historic city on the coast, or 3000 miles overland to the center. It would be approximately 2200 miles to Axum one of the oldest known ancient Ethiopian city ruins. This is near the northern border. Since Zipporah is a Midianite, and this other woman was an Ethiopian... It's reasonably safe to assume they're not the same person. Take note in this description how God responded to criticism of Moses taking a second wife. What was God's response? And how did God describe Moses especially in light of what the conflict was concerning.

Numbers 12:1-15 And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.
2 And they said, Hath the Lord indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the Lord heard it.
3 (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)
4 And the Lord spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the congregation. And they three came out.
5 And the Lord came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.

He came down personally and stood in the door of the tabernacle. Can you imagine the sheer and utter terror they would all be feeling? This was an extremely momentous occasion. For God to do this was one of the most profound things He could have done. One of the most blatant and powerful messages He could convey. For The King of Kings to come personally to address this issue and speak what He spoke is absolutely mind blowing.

6 And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

7 My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.

8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the Lord shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?
9 And the anger of the Lord was kindled against them; and he departed.

He said what? He did what? God came down, stood before Aaron and Miriam with Moses as well. And proclaimed that normal prophets receive their commission in visions or dreams with dark speeches and will not see Him. But not so for Moses, this is a particular man who has been honored FAR above and beyond other prophets. God speaks to Moses "mouth to mouth". And God specifically proclaims that in marrying this second wife, Moses has been faithful in God's house.

10 And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.
11 And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.
12 Let her not be as one dead, of whom the flesh is half consumed when he cometh out of his mother's womb.
13 And Moses cried unto the Lord, saying, Heal her now, O God, I beseech thee.
14 And the Lord said unto Moses, If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be ashamed seven days? let her be shut out from the camp seven days, and after that let her be received in again.
15 And Miriam was shut out from the camp seven days: and the people journeyed not till Miriam was brought in again.

This is a declaration straight from God to mankind specifically on God's approval of polygyny. If there was anything to be said about God's created order, His perfect will, the creation mandate, the sinfulness of or that polygyny was less than ideal in any way shape or form.... God would have said so at some point. Instead we have God himself proclaiming Moses as faithful in the matter of taking a second wife. And the manner in which God made this declaration cannot be construed as anything short of overwhelming shock and awe.

Here we have a passage where Moses took a second wife (40 years after Zipporah [still to be verified]). The second wife was from Ethiopia 1000 miles as the crow flies across the red sea from closest point to closest point. More accurately 2000 miles overland to any major historic city on the coast, or 3000 miles overland to the center. It would be approximately 2200 miles to Axum one of the oldest known ancient Ethiopian city ruins. This is near the northern border. Since Zipporah is a Midianite, and this other woman was an Ethiopian... It's reasonably safe to assume they're not the same person. Take note in this description how God responded to criticism of Moses taking a second wife. What was God's response? And how did God describe Moses especially in light of what the conflict was concerning.

Numbers 12:1-15 And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.
2 And they said, Hath the Lord indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the Lord heard it.
3 (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)
4 And the Lord spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the congregation. And they three came out.
5 And the Lord came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.

He came down personally and stood in the door of the tabernacle. Can you imagine the sheer and utter terror they would all be feeling? This was an extremely momentous occasion. For God to do this was one of the most profound things He could have done. One of the most blatant and powerful messages He could convey. For The King of Kings to come personally to address this issue and speak what He spoke is absolutely mind blowing.

6 And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.

8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the Lord shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

He said what? He did what? God came down, stood before Aaron and Miriam with Moses as well. And proclaimed that normal prophets receive their commission in visions or dreams with dark speeches and will not see Him. But not so for Moses, this is a particular man who has been honored FAR above and beyond other prophets. God speaks to Moses "mouth to mouth". And God specifically proclaims that in marrying this second wife, Moses has been faithful in God's house.

10 And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.
11 And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.
12 Let her not be as one dead, of whom the flesh is half consumed when he cometh out of his mother's womb.
14 And the Lord said unto Moses, If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be ashamed seven days? let her be shut out from the camp seven days, and after that let her be received in again.
15 And Miriam was shut out from the camp seven days: and the people journeyed not till Miriam was brought in again.

This is a declaration straight from God to mankind specifically on God's approval of polygyny. If there was anything to be said about God's created order, His perfect will, the creation mandate, the sinfulness of or that polygyny was less than ideal in any way shape or form.... God would have said so at some point. Instead we have God himself proclaiming Moses as faithful in the matter of taking a second wife. And the manner in which God made this declaration cannot be construed as anything short of overwhelming shock and awe.
Is there an answer to those who would say she was both an Ethiopian and Midianite woman? As in Midianite father and Ethiopian mother. Any clues in the original languages that indicate this is not a legitimate alternate take?

Is there an answer to those who would say she was both an Ethiopian and Midianite woman? As in Midianite father and Ethiopian mother. Any clues in the original languages that indicate this is not a legitimate alternate take?
Good question. @ABlessedMan @PeteR @frederick, do any of you guys have any insight?

Other than the illogic of them having a problem with a marriage 40 years after the fact? Who waits 40 years to throw a fit that big?

Thank you for this. I'm in a Facebook group where polygamy has been the topic more than once. The most common arguments I run into are: God created one woman for Adam, two become one flesh, and polygany never ended well in the Bible.

Thank you for this. I'm in a Facebook group where polygamy has been the topic more than once. The most common arguments I run into are: God created one woman for Adam, two become one flesh, and polygany never ended well in the Bible.

Then they simply don't know their Bible very well and are just spouting off what they have been told.

God specifically allowed for the circumstances in which Jacob would have 4 wives and God's people and the Messiah came through his line.

I'd say that ended pretty well.

Other than the illogic of them having a problem with a marriage 40 years after the fact? Who waits 40 years to throw a fit that big?
Her marriage had never really set right with them, the people were on edge about the massive confrontation and deaths re the mana and birds that had just happened, and so this boiled up? She hadn't returned for 40 years, and that is what Aaron and Miriam were upset about? I'm just spitballing some possible alternate takes because this is the kind of speculation that would be brought forward to match your speculation about the 40 years indicating not the same woman. No need to take those questions seriously unless you just want to.

I'd just like to know how we know these are two separate women, or if we just like to think they are because it appears possible or even probable. If it's the latter, I'm going to be keeping this example out of debates. But, if it's the former, then it is dynamite like you said.

This is great. I did not have this one down in my personal list. Adding now.

Her marriage had never really set right with them, the people were on edge about the massive confrontation and deaths re the mana and birds that had just happened, and so this boiled up? She hadn't returned for 40 years, and that is what Aaron and Miriam were upset about? I'm just spitballing some possible alternate takes because this is the kind of speculation that would be brought forward to match your speculation about the 40 years indicating not the same woman. No need to take those questions seriously unless you just want to.

I'd just like to know how we know these are two separate women, or if we just like to think they are because it appears possible or even probable. If it's the latter, I'm going to be keeping this example out of debates. But, if it's the former, then it is dynamite like you said.
Excellent points 3X! I love finding arguments against. It enables me to not be blindsided when an opposing viewpoint is presented. I prefer to use iron man arguments instead of straw man. Present their case in the strongest light I possibly can before showing it's incorrect.

So I really appreciate these possible reasons and arguments against. Hopefully someone more edumacated in Hebrew can speak to this.

Excellent points 3X! I love finding arguments against. It enables me to not be blindsided when an opposing viewpoint is presented. I prefer to use iron man arguments instead of straw man. Present their case in the strongest light I possibly can before showing it's incorrect.

So I really appreciate these possible reasons and arguments against. Hopefully someone more edumacated in Hebrew can speak to this.
Me, too. In fact, if no one has the answers by 8pm, I'm going to sit down at the house and try to dig into it, because this would be really good to know. A quick search of commentaries makes me think it's unanswerable with scripture alone, but maybe some other historical accounts will have clues.

If nothing else, this more than puts the lid on any haywire claim that God does not approve of "race" mixing!

Then they simply don't know their Bible very well and are just spouting off what they have been told.

God specifically allowed for the circumstances in which Jacob would have 4 wives and God's people and the Messiah came through his line.

I'd say that ended pretty well.
Thank you for this information, i'm going to study more about it.

Back