• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What are the Aramaic gospels and do they carry any weight?

Aramaic gospels or Greek gospels, which came first?

• Greek

• Aramaic

• This is a really dumb poll

• Why aren’t you mowing the lawn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Asforme&myhouse

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
The book “Eros Made Sacred” makes mention of the Aramaic gospels. I hadn’t heard of them before. I have done a little digging and have only been able to come up with stuff like, this guy says they suck, but this says they don’t and that they are awesome... ok maybe that was an over simplification :rolleyes: but you get my drift. Anyone have any information or knowledge on the subject?

Hahaha :D I don’t think I should cast my vote :p;)

My rationale for the original gospels being in greek is that Mark 5:41 (whether translated from the greek or aramaic texts) assumes a greek speaking readership, IMO. There are a number of scriptures where aramaic is spoken and the translation is given in greek, something that wouldn't be very necessary at all if the reader is assumed to know aramaic.

I have not read the Aramaic gospels (it would have to be an English translation) are there any big differences?

Full disclosure: I have NO IDEA. I haven't read hardly any of it. When I first heard that there were people who were saying that the gospels were originally penned in Aramaic I immediately wondered just how the verses where aramaic was spoken and translated into greek played out, and for me it really hinged on Mark 5:41 (because I remembered talitha cumi) so I didn't ever really bother delving any deeper into it than that.

We had a discussion similar to this a while back on here.

My opinion:

• Jesus and the disciples spoke Aramaic in their general dealings (marketing, town squares, conversing). It as his majority tongue.
  • Greek was for official business dealings and Jesus and the disciples also spoke that but less.
  • Hebrew was also spoken, but for religious/synagogue stuff.
Is it possible that both Aramaic and Greek gospels were written at the same time, but the Greek got more traction due to it being able to be passed on to new believers easier throughout the Roman Empire who didn't speak Aramaic?

Everything you're about to read is backed up by nothing but my opinion but I believe strongly that God did not deliver us any of the scriptures directly in their original languages to keep us from tying His Word to a language no one speaks anymore, as has happened with every other scripture, such as the Koran.

We couldn't read Shakespeare as it was original written. We wouldn't even recognize early English as English.

If we had the scriptures in the original tongues we would become dependent on others to read and interpret them for us.

It also happens in John 20:16 and again in Mark 7:34.

Do we not like Mark? Are you... uh... trying to sharpen me or something?

I think a lot of these theories revolve around Matthew. But I don't have any answers; not a familiar subject to me.

Personally, considering all the different languages spoken, and that Greek wasn't the main language of the Apostles, it's kind of hard to believe everything was written in Greek. But the early church was dominated by Greeks so what do you expect.

Hebrew was also spoken, but for religious/synagogue stuff.
Eusibus records that the Book of Mathew was written in the language of the Hebrews which could mean Hebrew or Aramaic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_Gospel_hypothesis
This is the Wikipedia page on the topic. I have no judgement or opinion on the relative merits for or against the idea, but presently see no reason to doubt the current scholarly consensus on the matter, which is that this was not the case.

Wikipedia, anybody can go in and change stuff on there, so it has to be accurate, right? Jk

I did read what Wikipedia had to say about it:confused:

I have not read the Aramaic gospels (it would have to be an English translation) are there any big differences?
Besides all the books Luther wanted removed from the bible and a few more missing. Not really.

Mark 10:29-31
Jesus answered and said, Truly I say to you, There is no man who leaves houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of my gospel, Who shall not receive now, in this time a hundredfold, houses and brothers and sisters and maidservants and children and fields and other worldly things, and in the world to come life everlasting.

- from the Aramaic text

Any thoughts on these differences, say, to our KJV?

Any thoughts on these differences, say, to our KJV?
I collect bibles, I have every translation into English and just going from one of those to another you'll have dramatic variations scripture. The Aramaic-English translation and the Aramaic transliteration version I own have diffrent translations there. I have an Aramaic only bible but I'm still working on learning, Biblical Hebrew and biblical Greek that I don't know when I'd get the time to learn the Aramaic or if it would be profitable. There's a church that only accepts the Aramaic version as scripture.

I collect bibles, I have every translation into English and just going from one of those to another you'll have dramatic variations scripture. The Aramaic-English translation and the Aramaic transliteration version I own have diffrent translations there. I have an Aramaic only bible but I'm still working on learning, Biblical Hebrew and biblical Greek that I don't know when I'd get the time to learn the Aramaic
Or if it would be profitable.
I guess it’s time to delegate. You learn biblical Hebrew and biblical Greek, and i will learn Aramaic... divide and conquer

Back