• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Where's Hugh?

Hugh,

I heard you were in an accident. Are you ok? Please know that I am praying for you.

Blessings,

Doc

At the very moment? North Little Rock, but moving fast.....

Home for an evening. Truck to go into the shop tomorrow morning, briefly.

I was home yesterday evening and this morning. Right now, I'm "Loose, & Free, Somewhere in the Middle of Montana." There are no big cities in sight.

Elk Mountain Wyoming, I-80, during a Winter Storm Warning. Lightly loaded, but there's no wind, and I think the "warning" ship has sailed. This looks like a winter storm to me.

At the Miller place, in Missouri. Six new injectors and a busted fan clutch, all being replaced at a dealer close to friends. That works.

Hugh, If You ever cruise by Winnemucca NV let me know. phone is 504-610-5324 We can grab lunch.

Home. For a whole week now. Trucking keeps pulling me back into non "off time" pursuits.

whats wrong with it now? what motor is in it and how many hours/ miles on it? I hope you are not due for a rebuild. (I am a heavy equipment mechanic in the gold mines in northern nevada)

Jonathan,

Internationals have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation emissions control system. Virtually ever other diesel engine on the market in commercial or light trucks or passenger cars have a liquid supplement (Selective catalytic reduction) to help control nitrous oxide emissions. For a little over a year now my MaxxForce 13 has been having increasing issues with a phenomenon known as "Parked Regeneration" which should not occur while the vehicle has been traveling at highway speeds for more than 30 minutes. Generally this is supposed to occur only when there has been extensive stop and go/low speed driving. Normally a MaxxForce 13 "Regenerates" it's diesel particulate filter in a passive way, while you're driving under normal loads at highway speeds. For the first 14 months of driving my truck, that's all it ever did. These are known as "passive regenerations."

For 6 months I've been at war with International to provide a new truck or new engine. I've been told that neither would ever happen. I've been sorta ridiculed for suggesting these things. Last week International capitulated (praise GOD) and agreed to provide me with a brand new out of the box MaxxForce 13. Within hours of that good news, my transmission failed and needed to be completely replaced. I will have to foot the bill for the new tranny. International will pay for the engine (and labor for both, since the transmission comes out with the engine).

The engine had approximately 190,000 miles on it when the problems started. It has about 470,000 on it now. I forget how many hours. Other than the regeneration issues, it's been running well. It consumes less oil now than it did brand new.

man, how that makes me love my 99 freightshaker.

so sorry about the issues that you are having.

I'd love to have a MaxxForce without the emission controls. It's those controls that make things bad. Even that's not really the issue. IMHO International has to reach a ridiculously low Nitrous Oxide emission standard (so does everyone else) and that's made a great design unworkable. The problem is that 1999 models of all varieties are a vanishing breed.

Why is it that we have so many truck drivers on this forum? It's great, but is it because you have plenty of time on the road to ponder the deep things of God, so come to understand issues like polygyny? Or is it purely a coincidence?

FollowingHim said:
Why is it that we have so many truck drivers on this forum? It's great, but is it because you have plenty of time on the road to ponder the deep things of God, so come to understand issues like polygyny? Or is it purely a coincidence?
since i was poly-intentioned before i became a truck driver, for me it would be coincidence.

I would kinda have to agree with Steve here. I'd observe that truck driving is a place where the diligent but socially unacceptable person, often ends up working.

Back