• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why does the Husband Not Need Permission from his Wife?

Cool! Now you can delete the posts that indicate that you deleted another post, and I can then delete this one, and we can all post about how we deleted the posts that say that other posts were deleted! :)

In my formative years, I and my siblings would annoy our parents every time we would say the same thing simultaneously, by erupting in a never ending chorus of "We said it together". Kind of reminds me of this show:

Last edited:
Cool! Now you can delete the posts that indicate that you deleted another post, and I can then delete this one, and we can all post about how we deleted the posts that say that other posts were deleted! :)

In my formative years, I and my siblings would annoy our parents every time we would say the same thing simultaneously, by erupting in a never ending chorus of "We said it together". Kind of reminds me of this show:
Nah, I’m good. 😊

Evidence that posts were voluntarily deleted are, imo, a good example of brothers working together in harmony.

I would view it from the perspectives of genetics, even marrying a cousin can be a problem if done over generations.
Yes - today, because more genetic defects have accumulated. Which is my point. This is a problem that will inevitably get worse over time as mutations occur and accumulate.

Adam & Eve: no genetic defects, even sibling marriage was unlikely to result in birth defects.
Moses: genetic defects had accumulated to the point that sibling and aunt/uncle marriage was prohibited, but cousins were still safe.
Today: it's probably prudent to avoid cousin marriage also, even though it remains legal in many places.

Last edited:
Look at this from my perspective. This forum is the first time in my life that I have debated a flat earther. I knew they existed, but I thought it was so fringe that one would never encounter one. Yet I encountered one here. Granted he was shut down by some, however that does cause me to question what the overlap is between people who take an extreme stance on scripture, and fringe ideas.
Anyone who is willing to ask the question "is what I have been taught really true?" when it comes to polygamy, is also usually willing to ask the same question regarding many other things. So this forum attracts people with a wide range of viewpoints, not all of which are correct.

Incidentally, I am careful to question everything also, and not just assume that I already know the truth. Accordingly, when I heard flat earth beliefs, I did not dismiss them out of hand just because they were different to what I had been taught. Instead, I considered them scientifically, to work out whether I could test and verify them myself. I soon realised that if the earth were flat the stars in the southern hemisphere would move in a certain pattern, and if it was spherical they would move in an entirely different way, so I could verify if the earth was spherical or flat just by looking at the night sky. And it is, without a shadow of a doubt, spherical - which I now know from my own observations, not because anyone else taught me that but because I have proved it myself. This is the best approach to take to any such question, whenever it is practical. Usually you'll find the mainstream view is correct, but sometimes you may learn something surprising.

Why not use the Prophet Deborah as a role model?

She was leading Israel at the time, she was a judge, she judges people, she was very judgmental. She had to kick General Barak into action, and since he could not tie his shoes without help, she had to hold his hand all the way to Canaan, telling him when to attack.
Deborah is the exception that proves the rule. God's intended order is for men to lead. But when men fail to do so, like Barak, God sometimes raises up a woman to do the job instead and shame the men.

In Deborah's case, she was a prophet, and reminded Barak that God had told him to attack Sisera. Note the language - she said "has not the Lord commanded you?". Or in other words, "didn't God tell you to do this? Why haven't you done it yet?". He indicated he was too scared and would only do it if she came with him. Her response was that she would go, but as punishment for his cowardice, he would not be the one to actually kill Sisera, but a woman would kill him instead.

And absolutely, there are other times when a woman needs to step up like this, and many brave women can be pointed to throughout history as examples.

But that does not change the fact that wives are commanded to submit to their husbands. Firstly, it's irrelevant - we are never told that Deborah did not submit to her husband, the story has nothing to do with marriage, it's about war. Secondly, even if it was relevant (even if Barak had been Deborah's husband), it is very clear that this is an exceptional situation which required the men to be shamed by keeping the ultimate victory from them.

Last edited:
Back