• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why does the Husband Not Need Permission from his Wife?

In 2 Samuel 6:22-23, after David was disrespected by his wife Mical after he danced before the Lord, he said,

"And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight; and of the maidservants whom thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be held in honor.”

23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

it is my interpretation of the situation and I hope to be corrected. But possibility exist that David was saying that "I will be busy having sex with these maidservants" and as a result Micah never got the opportunity to get pregnant due to David's response to disrespect from Micah. David punished Micah.

Too many times men could be wrongfully accused of sinful motives from their wives and in the process disrespect their lords, and then dishonor them before others. If this were to happen, husband does not need to exchange his position as assigned by God to get a morsel of food like Esau gave up his privilege for little bit of soup. For this reason, a husband could proceed with marrying additional women apart from wive's approval.

This may be painful for a woman to hear, but this is where a wife has opportunity for her faith to be examined. Without faith it is impossible to please God.

There is a reason rebuke on Moses' sister was more severe than the one for Aaron. That was after Moses took on additional wife.

I said all these without taking into account the vows. I am still evaluating arguments about this. (Perhaps by Providence at my wedding I did not utter those words because I selected Ukrainian pastor to do the ceremony).

1726424895070.png
It was a joke, lighten up.

Back