• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why I Believe Women Would Generally Be Better Off Seeking Polygamy

rejoicinghandmaid

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Female
I’ve decided to combine reintroducing myself with starting a new thread. In an earlier thread, https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/...ome-to-understand-about-polygamy.14231/page-2, I began to introduce myself, but I’m realizing it’s time to share a great deal more of both my story and the future I’m seeking.

My son, VerifyVeritas76, explained to me the Biblical truth of polygamy’s legitimacy in April 2018. Along with him and his immediate family, I was kicked out of the church we’d attended for approximately 2 years, simply for standing up for this truth. I joined the BF forum June 5th, and I attended the 2018 Biblical Families retreat in TN with VV76’s family. Through this process I discovered a community which I now consider part of my extended family. This is especially valuable to me, because my family has become somewhat divided about this issue, so I really appreciate the support and interaction I receive here on BF.

I have been a widow for 7 years, and in recent years I’ve become ready to remarry. In the past year, I’ve further decided that I would definitely prefer to join an already-established family in a plural marriage.

You might well ask, “Why in the world would you choose such a controversial marriage life style and wish to encounter the emotional challenges usually embodied in a plural home?” I’m aware that my choice is counter-cultural, is not unbiblical, and invites personal, emotional challenges. However, IMHO, the multiple benefits and blessings of engaging in plural marriage far outweigh the challenges. For those of you already in plural, it may seem presumptuous of me to expound upon the perceived benefits, having no personal experience heretofore. Some have asked, “Why, after 38 years in monogamy, would you chose poly?” “What draws and motivates you?” Below are my reasons. I hope you will feel free to interact, question, suggest facets I’ve not processed, and generally better understand why a single lady in today’s Western cultural turns to this renewed Biblical image of marriage.

My personal reason for believing that an already-married man would make a better husband is that men seeking a plural family have already been vetted to a large extent. Most men willing to consider being the spiritual leader of more than one woman have already realized that being a husband is supposed to mean being the actual head of a household. He views himself as a shepherd, the man who answers for everyone and everything that happens in his domain. He actively embraces the spiritual responsibility of leading his wives and children. He does not see himself as a tyrant, overlord, slave master, figure head with many feathers in his hat, or just a man who happens to live with a woman under a roof they call “home.” Seeking more than 2 wives and perhaps wishing to father multiple children, these men are more likely to own the care and provision of those additional souls. He counts the cost as he builds and expands his home.

I recognize that this choice to marry plural means I would have to share my husband. Not only would I share him emotionally and physically, I would share his living space with another sister wife (or wives). I would also share the burden of providing his happiness, developing his vision, and becoming a part of a team committed to goals which, by nature of plural, are likely to be much larger than monogamy could ever hope to accomplish. In the midst of all this, I would be sharing a more highly-tested man, and I would anticipate that the joy of my sharing would be mirrored by the joy of the woman or women with whom I was sharing him. From daily minutia and routine, to the excitement of establishing goals and realizing their associated dreams, the interaction with others exercising the give and take, the grease and grace to make it all happen – all of that appeals to me greatly. The synergy of teamwork defies scientific definition or mathematic computation. Men seeking additional wives have already prepared themselves emotionally, spiritually, physically and financially in preparation for this exponential dynamic. Usually, men seeking a plural family have already demonstrated higher levels of family leadership skills, and they actively nurture their wives and children along these lines of growth and development.

In my quest for plural, I can also observe how a man is already treating his wife and children. I have the opportunity to get her confirmation of what a good man he is or is not. Instead of having to rely solely upon what he says about himself, or whether I possess excellent advance judgment about a man, I would have the benefit of feedback from one or more women who have ongoing real life experience with him.

I want to be part of a team. I want to provide support as well as receive it. I also long for the type of woman-to-woman family relationship that entails loving cooperation rather than the kind of competitive approach so often seen among women.

Am I alone in having this much faith that the average man who is sincerely seeking to be the patriarch of a plural family will be a better-than-average prospect for a husband? I’d really like to know what the rest of you think of this.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this with us, @rejoicinghandmaid. You make a tremendous contribution to any of us who struggle to maintain confidence that this is a pursuit we may be up to implementing. Thank you for articulating from a woman's point of view the advantages an already-married man can bring to the table. Personally, this gives me a boost in the realm of maintaining my motivation to continue seeking and preparing myself for what I seek.

I very much look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say in response. This thread not only serves to increase the confidence of men but assist single women who land in Biblical Family Land to contemplate why they might really be onto something when they feel the urge to explore the possibility of being in a plural family.

I'm very grateful for this gift from you.

And right after reading the beginning of this thread, I went to another thread where @rockfox posted something from Ecclesiastes that really belongs right here to bolster what @rejoicinghandmaid wrote (above) about how synergy exponentially boosts the strength of two when increased to the strength that three or more are capable of providing:

Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart. [Ecclesiastes 4:9]

Beautifully articulated....

Personally, I am glad to see you active on the forum again. I enjoy your wisdom, grace and firm spirit as well as your gifted pen.

Thank you for 'putting your heart out there.'

Blessings.

I’ve decided to combine reintroducing myself with starting a new thread. In an earlier thread, https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/...ome-to-understand-about-polygamy.14231/page-2, I began to introduce myself, but I’m realizing it’s time to share a great deal more of both my story and the future I’m seeking.

My son, VerifyVeritas76, explained to me the Biblical truth of polygamy’s legitimacy in April 2018. Along with him and his immediate family, I was kicked out of the church we’d attended for approximately 2 years, simply for standing up for this truth. I joined the BF forum June 5th, and I attended the 2018 Biblical Families retreat in TN with VV76’s family. Through this process I discovered a community which I now consider part of my extended family. This is especially valuable to me, because my family has become somewhat divided about this issue, so I really appreciate the support and interaction I receive here on BF.

I have been a widow for 7 years, and in recent years I’ve become ready to remarry. In the past year, I’ve further decided that I would definitely prefer to join an already-established family in a plural marriage.

You might well ask, “Why in the world would you choose such a controversial marriage life style and wish to encounter the emotional challenges usually embodied in a plural home?” I’m aware that my choice is counter-cultural, is not unbiblical, and invites personal, emotional challenges. However, IMHO, the multiple benefits and blessings of engaging in plural marriage far outweigh the challenges. For those of you already in plural, it may seem presumptuous of me to expound upon the perceived benefits, having no personal experience heretofore. Some have asked, “Why, after 38 years in monogamy, would you chose poly?” “What draws and motivates you?” Below are my reasons. I hope you will feel free to interact, question, suggest facets I’ve not processed, and generally better understand why a single lady in today’s Western cultural turns to this renewed Biblical image of marriage.

My personal reason for believing that an already-married man would make a better husband is that men seeking a plural family have already been vetted to a large extent. Most men willing to consider being the spiritual leader of more than one woman have already realized that being a husband is supposed to mean being the actual head of a household. He views himself as a shepherd, the man who answers for everyone and everything that happens in his domain. He actively embraces the spiritual responsibility of leading his wives and children. He does not see himself as a tyrant, overlord, slave master, figure head with many feathers in his hat, or just a man who happens to live with a woman under a roof they call “home.” Seeking more than 2 wives and perhaps wishing to father multiple children, these men are more likely to own the care and provision of those additional souls. He counts the cost as he builds and expands his home.

I recognize that this choice to marry plural means I would have to share my husband. Not only would I share him emotionally and physically, I would share his living space with another sister wife (or wives). I would also share the burden of providing his happiness, developing his vision, and becoming a part of a team committed to goals which, by nature of plural, are likely to be much larger than monogamy could ever hope to accomplish. In the midst of all this, I would be sharing a more highly-tested man, and I would anticipate that the joy of my sharing would be mirrored by the joy of the woman or women with whom I was sharing him. From daily minutia and routine, to the excitement of establishing goals and realizing their associated dreams, the interaction with others exercising the give and take, the grease and grace to make it all happen – all of that appeals to me greatly. The synergy of teamwork defies scientific definition or mathematic computation. Men seeking additional wives have already prepared themselves emotionally, spiritually, physically and financially in preparation for this exponential dynamic. Usually, men seeking a plural family have already demonstrated higher levels of family leadership skills, and they actively nurture their wives and children along these lines of growth and development.

In my quest for plural, I can also observe how a man is already treating his wife and children. I have the opportunity to get her confirmation of what a good man he is or is not. Instead of having to rely solely upon what he says about himself, or whether I possess excellent advance judgment about a man, I would have the benefit of feedback from one or more women who have ongoing real life experience with him.

I want to be part of a team. I want to provide support as well as receive it. I also long for the type of woman-to-woman family relationship that entails loving cooperation rather than the kind of competitive approach so often seen among women.

Am I alone in having this much faith that the average man who is sincerely seeking to be the patriarch of a plural family will be a better-than-average prospect for a husband? I’d really like to know what the rest of you think of this.

I may include this post in my future thread “Why cougars make better wives” :cool::D:p

We were so blessed to get to meet you at the retreat @rejoicinghandmaid :) love your insightfulness!

What a beautiful way to put all the “whys”. I can chat all day without any pause. But, when it comes to expressing my feelings and truths I get so excited I can’t seem to find the right words to explain myself. You wrote that so beautifuly and expressed so much truth. I am in awe. Thank you!!!

I was really blessed by this! I am very new to this whole idea, but in pondering the subject I have come to the same realizations that you obviously have. I am convinced that it takes a level of maturity and spiritual stability to enable poly to work and bless all those involved. You articulated the details very well...thank you!

I too look forward to this.. and pray for it! Thank you for the lovely post!

Beautifully expressed and so much of it mirrors the experience I've had in this short year. We met a year ago July 20th, and it's been a wonderful, difficult, amazing crazy ride and I can't imagine my life without my plural family! Your insight is right on target and I pray Hashem brings you into your plural family soon!

I find this perspective interesting coming from a woman. I read many times that women hate polygamy and that it is oppressive and that women living under polygamist arrangements are far more likely to have physical and psychological problems (such as paranoia) compared to women in traditional relationships. Moreover, jealousy can be a big deal in these relationships. How is it that women like you can like polygamy and is comfortable sharing a married man and others are not?

https://thoughtcatalog.com/veronica.../polygamy-will-never-work-in-this-generation/

https://polygamy411.com/jealousy-is-a-major-problem/

http://tonipayneonline.com/2016/05/28/polygamy-misconception-yoruba-culture/

https://biblicalgenderroles.com/2016/10/03/how-to-train-your-wife-not-to-be-jealous/

I find this perspective interesting coming from a woman. I read many times that women hate polygamy and that it is oppressive and that women living under polygamist arrangements are far more likely to have physical and psychological problems (such as paranoia) compared to women in traditional relationships. Moreover, jealousy can be a big deal in these relationships. How is it that women like you can like polygamy and is comfortable sharing a married man and others are not?
This comment was in the first article and is about the sum of it all; "In all polygamous cultures, women have a pretty low status and must obey their husbands."
Women need to be humble and obedient... . **sigh** :oops:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/veronica.../polygamy-will-never-work-in-this-generation/

https://polygamy411.com/jealousy-is-a-major-problem/

http://tonipayneonline.com/2016/05/28/polygamy-misconception-yoruba-culture/

https://biblicalgenderroles.com/2016/10/03/how-to-train-your-wife-not-to-be-jealous/
Article #4 had a lot of good to glean from it...

oppressive and that women living under polygamist arrangements are far more likely to have physical and psychological problems

Stress will do that. It's not about the poly, but about not accepting poly. It is only oppressive if you don't want to be in subjection to your husband. But in that case, anything decision of his she dislikes will be deemed "oppressive".

Polygyny is bad in my opinion because I firmly believe it is impossible to love two women equally. Personally I believe Polygamy breeds hate, envy, jealousy and so much more. I feel it is wise to end one relationship properly before starting the other. I have no problems dating a man with children as long as he is very clear about my position in his life as his one and only women. Sharing willingly is never an option.

Spoken like a woman who thinks she can come on top in a love triangle. She'd rather see one loved and one hated than an imperfect love for two. As if there was ever perfect love, or he won't also love hobbies, God, children.

This is classic projection. She, as a woman, can't love two men at once, so she thinks men can't. But men in general are quite capable of bonding with multiple women. Of the many bad fruits of poly she lists, envy is key. It is envy that leads her to believe if a man loves another woman she herself must be getting shortchanged. It is envy that breeds jealousy and hate; it is women's foremost temptation.

Love – that feeling we get when that one person fills every void in our heart; when all we desire is to be with that one person; the one person we want to marry; the one person we want to commit to for the rest of our lives.

The one person who is constantly on our mind when we first wake up in the morning, and whose face is the last thought before we fall asleep. The person we would do anything for…

But what about the men with multiple wives? The ones who marry numerous women and have to provide for not one, but up to four women?

Which wife would he sacrifice his life for? Which wife does he think about first and last everyday?

Is that even still considered love?

That's actually a very beautiful description of a woman's love and devotion and her ability to only truly bond to one man at a time. But men are not that way.

Which wife would he sacrifice his life for? Neither. He sacrifices his life for his family and his vision. That can include multiple wives just as it can include multiple children.

The rest of that article is simply a great exposition about what is wrong with modern woman. All the things that mean poly won't work for them make them bad wives, mothers, and help-meets. A laundry list of demands they aren't even willing to reciprocate.

Stress will do that. It's not about the poly, but about not accepting poly. It is only oppressive if you don't want to be in subjection to your husband. But in that case, anything decision of his she dislikes will be deemed "oppressive".

Spoken like a woman who thinks she can come on top in a love triangle. She'd rather see one loved and one hated than an imperfect love for two. As if there was ever perfect love, or he won't also love hobbies, God, children.

This is classic projection. She, as a woman, can't love two men at once, so she thinks men can't. But men in general are quite capable of bonding with multiple women. Of the many bad fruits of poly she lists, envy is key. It is envy that leads her to believe if a man loves another woman she herself must be getting shortchanged. It is envy that breeds jealousy and hate; it is women's foremost temptation.

That's actually a very beautiful description of a woman's love and devotion and her ability to only truly bond to one man at a time. But men are not that way.

Which wife would he sacrifice his life for? Neither. He sacrifices his life for his family and his vision. That can include multiple wives just as it can include multiple children.

The rest of that article is simply a great exposition about what is wrong with modern woman. All the things that mean poly won't work for them make them bad wives, mothers, and help-meets. A laundry list of demands they aren't even willing to reciprocate.
Actually, that definition of LOVE is wayyy too syrupy for me, and I'm a woman!

“Polygamy Will Never Work In This Generation

By Veronica Granja-Sierra, February 3rd 2015”

“...Needs Not Being Met

Women have an established list of needs that actually would be impossible to meet in a polygamist marriage. Constant affection, commitment, openness, honesty, financial, and emotional support are just some of the many needs a woman requires from her man. Every woman also loves to feel admired and put on a pedestal. They like to be appreciated and like to be affirmed of this constantly. It wouldn’t feel to nice knowing the man you love is off complimenting other women besides you now would it?

Exclusivity
For a young girl’s whole life, her one and only dream almost always consists of marrying her Prince Charming; the one man of her dreams who will love her and only her. Come on, Disney taught us this and Disney is never wrong. Women always tend to care about how exclusive their relationship is, whereas men are always just interested in sex and the number of women they sleep with. So although a polygamist marriage would satisfy these types of men, it would enrage women. After all, what Disney princess ever had to share her Prince or be a sister wife with another princess? None- because that’s not really a perfect, fairy-tale, happily-ever- after ending now is it?...”

These two paragraphs really sum it up, she wants to be WORSHIPPED as a goddess. She wants her man to submit to her. She wants to rule over him. This is what God said, in the Garden, would be her natural tendency, but it is not the behavior that God expects of woman who love Him and are called by His name.

Last edited:
Back