• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Why Not Polygamy? A Question to Progressive Churches

That’s just how some people act, like they are better than others because of their “accomplishment”.
If I ever get that way, please bitchslap the snot out of me.
So basically it's part of the religious spirit.

Last edited:
To me getting a wife or more than one isn't an accomplishment but keeping them while living in a biblical marriage that glorifies God is. It still doesn't make one person better than the next.

Part of my certainty about polygyny being a (at least possible) blessing (dependant upon the hearts involved) is because I have heard from many first wives that did have sisterwives that adding another did not take away from their marriage and quality of life. Many have told me that adding another wife was not like dividing their hubby in two, but more like multiplying his abilities in leadership and other aspects of life.

While some men may get prideful about having two wives, I think even the humble may feel like more of a man just for the growth they experience, and the supreme and sublime compliment of being loved by a second woman....willing to commit herself to him.

Now I'm very happy with my hubby as he is....but I also know I enjoyed very much watching him build a relationship with a potential wife years ago, and I was happy for both of them....and then felt heartache for all when it ended.
So for me the only "downside" was that it didn't last.
Just thinking out loud here.

I think what @Asforme&myhouse is saying, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that to declare that it is a sin for all goes beyond what scripture says. And as he and @FollowingHim point out is if it goes against your conscience then it is something that you should definitely avoid, and not participate in.

I know someone that has a troubled conscience over something that is not prohibited by God and I have always told them that they should not do it then, but to know that others may, and neither are sinning if they do or don't do it. Sorry for being vague with my example but it's a private matter.
I'm that way with alcohol. I just don't feel good about it. I don't judge others, but it's just not good for me, or my house. We abstain....except for good cooking varieties.

BF Scouts.... what would the other merit badges be?

Best beard?

This could get fun
Guessing they all are alpha male related with a side of caveman.... so,

Hatchet making/throwing
Club weilding
Campfire and BBQ skilz
knighthood skills... swords? Damsel rescuing/resuscitation?

To me getting a wife or more than one isn't an accomplishment but keeping them while living in a biblical marriage that glorifies God is. It still doesn't make one person better than the next.
We have many people turn up here with more than one wife, or wives in such a situation turn up - looking for help because it's a complete and utter disaster. It's easy to take an additional wife - briefly... No merit badges for presiding over a disaster. A long, successful monogamous marriage is a far greater achievement than a series of disastrous attempts at polygamy.

If we were to print merit badges, they should be for 20 years of successful marriage. One badge per wife. The goal being to accumulate at least one badge, ideally more.
Best beard?
At the university Christian Fellowship group I was involved in, we had an annual beard-growing competition over the mid-year holidays. To be in the competition you had to be clean-shaven at the last fellowship meeting for the second semester. Then you had three weeks to grow a beard, and the ladies judged it at the first meeting of the third semester. There was a trophy too - a plastic razor nailed to a board and spraypainted silver, proudly passed around for several years. I remember one year the man who won had had to attend a family event mid-way through the holidays and his mother had made him shave for it - but he still won with only half the growing time of anyone else. He could grow hair like a gorilla.

Guessing they all are alpha male related with a side of caveman.... so,

Hatchet making/throwing
Club weilding
Campfire and BBQ skilz
knighthood skills... swords? Damsel rescuing/resuscitation?
Yeah, same here. Maybe the bar needs to be higher.:cool:;)
Oddly, I already qualify for a lot of that...
Me too.

Let's also add:

Blacksmithing
Log Cabin Building
And for @ZecAustin ballroom dancing (not a rib just my jealousy)

Let's also add:

Blacksmithing
Log Cabin Building
And for @ZecAustin ballroom dancing (not a rib just my jealousy)
I could/can do all those in varying degrees of proficiency. I have done some forging, and ballroom dance (waltz). The log cabin building is what I don't have experience with, although we have plenty of materials for doing that.

I have one to add. Wood bows and arrows, tipped with flintknapped arrowheads (since we are talking about cavemen).;)

I have done some forging, and ballroom dance (waltz). The log cabin building is what I don't have experience with, although we have plenty of materials for doing that.

I have one to add. Wood bows and arrows, tipped with flintknapped arrowheads (since we are talking about cavemen).;)
Lol. Actually that's as part this Thursday "Forgotten Ways" lesson i give my kids. Flintknapped Arrowhead, they're learning fletchery for the next two months.

Lol. Actually that's as part this Thursday "Forgotten Ways" lesson i give my kids. Flintknapped Arrowhead, they're learning fletchery for the next two months.
Nice! Yeah, I always liked making bows and arrows, and have made some pretty good ones over the past few years. I need to get back into it when I get some time. What kind of materials do you use for arrows?

Nice! Yeah, I always liked making bows and arrows, and have made some pretty good ones over the past few years. I need to get back into it when I get some time. What kind of materials do you use for arrows?
Not enough hours in the day!

Can.t wait for the millennium when we can rest in some areas that currently are time leeches.

Chapote and Cedar mostly some Bamboo. Wood we can fin locally by the creeks in town and on friends property's.

Okay, some of the kinds I have used are Wild Rose, Sumac, fruit wood suckers, and Ailanthus. The last one being my favorite.

Lol! It's crazy how derailed this thread has become! Do you think we should move somewhere else?:)

Okay, some of the kinds I have used are Wild Rose, Sumac, fruit wood suckers, and Ailanthus. The last one being my favorite.

Lol! It's crazy how derailed this thread has become! Do you think we should move somewhere else?:)
Probably

Back