• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

0: When does marriage begin? - Structured discussion

What gets glossed over with this debate is the issue of adultery. If we don’t know when one flesh is in effect we risk bringing a death sentence on our heads.

A man who puts away a woman unlawfully is barred from taking anymore wives. This is a very important issue.

A man who puts away a woman unlawfully is barred from taking anymore wives. This is a very important issue.

Context is King. Yeshua said that in the context of a man putting away a woman for the purpose of taking another woman.

Also, more controversially, if he refuses but does not have the ability to enforce his refusal (e.g. if he brings a gang and steals her anyway, or if she elopes with him against her father's wishes), I see nothing in scripture to say she is not his wife.

Exodus 22:16-17 says this. It would be harlotry not ttwcm

There is a difference between Israelites and non Israelites. So the virgins who are taken during war are non Israelites they and their fathers are not given the same rights as Hebrews.

Yeshua said that in the context of a man putting away a woman for the purpose of taking another woman.

That is always how I read it, or because they just didn’t like her anymore. The implications of that are way huge though because I remember what school and college were like and culturally this is what happens a lot of the time.

Keith, imo to abdicate one’s responsibility is to actively make the choice to not exercise one’s authority.
If men have zero understanding that they have the authority/responsibility in their daughter’s lives, they are not making a conscious choice.

Ah, to the contrary, ignorance is no excuse under any system of law, so why would it be in the realm of responsibility?

I’m not excusing them, I’m just understanding the dearth of good teaching that they are under.

If understanding the obstacles to full responsibility cuts someone enough slack to not be held accountable, then what one is doing is no different from excusing that person.

Check out what this wise man said about a related topic:

I don’t see possession being 100% ownership.
What is the difference between stealing a man’s horse and stealing his daughter?

“The horse went with me willingly, so it was an elopement as opposed to a theft. And it likes me, so it is unquestionable that I now own it!”

If a man’s possession/ownership of his wife is accepted, why would his ownership of his daughter not be acknowledged?

Put these two together, and I'll pose another question: in our legal system, 2nd degree murder is defined as purposefully killing another human being for any reason other than for self-protection or to protect another human being. The penalties range from years in prison to the death sentence. However, what about the illiterate young man raised without a father in the ghetto who has never been taught the value of human life and has been surrounded by other males who encourage him to randomly pick another human being to kill for no reason other than to prove himself worthy of initiation into a gang? Should we refrain from condemning him because he had a dearth of good teaching?

I also don't see possession as 100% ownership. In fact, my answer to your question about the horse and the daughter is that it does depend somewhat on (a) the age of the daughter, and (b) the laws one is subject to in the culture one lives within. In general, I would consider stealing the daughter to be worse than stealing the horse, but when one is talking about an adult female living in a culture in which it is entirely legal for her to make her own marriage choices, if she willingly goes with the enticer and is thus a consenting enticee -- or even more especially if she is, in fact, the primary enticer -- then the issue of possession is very legitimately clouded to the point of unsolvability. [In my case, I eloped with my current wife of 34 years. She asked me to marry her and then became insistent upon it, all of this before any consummation. I have long regretted going along with this plan, while not regretting being married to her, I've acknowledged this regret to her parents, and I'm currently convinced that it's time for me to formally ask her father for his blessing, which he has never offered. I guess I'll have to make decisions about how to proceed if he refuses.]

In either case, though (enticement or theft), I think it is more dangerous to refrain from holding a brother accountable than it is to risk being labeled as being too condemning. There is also a difference between holding him accountable and condemning him. The latter is predominantly associated with either death sentences or declaring someone worthy of eternal conscious torment (aka Hell). In no way did I suggest that any father be put to death or condemned to Hell for abdicating his responsibility, but I maintain that the abdication is reflection of cowardice. We can imagine circumstances in which such a father may have rarely been exposed to encouragement to step up to the plate and have some sympathy for him ending up being a coward, but he is a coward nonetheless (and do understand that I am painting myself with that broad brush). Furthermore, no matter how 'submerged' one might be in a culture that fails to promote patriarchal responsibility or one that fails to teach the value of every human life, I'm unwilling to grant that anyone lives a life entirely devoid of hearing messages that push back against the mainstream lethargy, apathy and soullessness. To make such an assumption of devoidness is to assume that someone lives in a place more decadent than Sodom and Gomorrah, and we need to remember that, even there, a handful of people retained their moral conscience. These things are written on our heart, and, especially in the beginning of the part of our life in which we begin to take on our own autonomy, we know that the evil we do and the good we don't do are going against the grain of our conscience. Cowardice and sociopathy are what inspire lawlessness.

Excellent point, and that does lead toward the conclusion that failure to refuse is equivalent to giving her to him, but it doesn't answer the question to which I'm seeking an answer, which is whether the relationship receives full favor -- or whether, in the eyes of YHWH, it needs to find full favor (because maybe it already does; maybe the only issue is getting that bride price paid). Numbers 30, on the other hand, actually mentions the answer to what happens in the case of a husband nullifying her vows: YHWH then pardons her, which is a clear indication that making the vows in the first place was, at best, inappropriate, if it needs to be pardoned. The Exodus passage does not have a phrase that indicates that YHWH either pardons enticer and enticee or that their union is now to be considered acceptable or unacceptable.
I think you've hit the central problem with your position right here. You appear to have been assuming that a marriage must be accepted or even blessed by the father to be valid, hence here too:
Neither does it assert that it isn't acceptable in the eyes of YHWH, but it does not create equivalence between failure to refuse and acceptance/blessing. In fact, the passage isn't even about whether the union is acceptable long-term; the passage's sole purpose is to assert that a man who entices a non-betrothed virgin is compelled to offer up a standard bride price to the father and that he has to pay it even if the father refuses to accept the union as a marriage. Nowhere does that passage assert that failure to refuse implies acceptance, and to assert otherwise is to add to Scripture.

Wrong. Yes, I've recently indicated that I'm leaning in that direction, but it's probably best that you not assume what I'm assuming, because your assumption was incorrect. I wasn't assuming or asserting that a marriage must be accepted by the father to be valid; my point was that failure to refuse is not the equivalent of acceptance. In each case, you took partial sentences out of context. In each case, I pointed out that these passages are not definitive either on their own or in tandem.

I don't see that in scripture. All we have is a statement that the father can refuse to give his daughter to the man who took her virginity. That's all.

Again, wrong. You're glossing over the primary points of the passage, which are (a) that adultery has occurred, and (b) that the enticer has to pay a bride price, whether the father accepts the offer to marry her or refuses it. Nothing is written about the consequences of the enticer and enticee ignoring the potential refusal. Are you adding to Scripture here either (a) that no possibility exists of refusing to recognize the refusal on the part of the enticer/enticee pair, or (b) that the passage actually addresses the consequences of refusing to recognize the refusal?

As you have pointed out, it doesn't answer the deeper questions you are answering - and I think that is because those questions are based on unscriptural assumptions so are not addressed because they were never under consideration in the first place.

Please identify what you label as "unscriptural assumptions" that "are not addressed because they were never under consideration in the first place."

Making it all simple again, "this thing we call marriage" is the possession of a woman by a man.
Possession.
Possession is not just 9/10ths of the law, in this case it's the whole thing.

If a man has a woman, she is the woman that he has. She is his woman. They are therefore in this thing we call marriage.

You make it clear that you consider it to be simple, but considering possession the whole thing is patently false on its face, and you can't change that by just saying so. We can start the unraveling of that sweater by simply mentioning cases of kidnapping and rape. Man takes a woman away from her home against her will to a location remote from her family and eventually rapes her. Man has woman, so, according to you, she is the woman that he has and therefore she is his woman -- and therefore they are in this thing you call marriage.

Furthermore, if possession were "the whole thing," then the existence of a bride price would be meaningless. As others have already pointed out, that leads to legitimizing theft in the context of a daughter being the possession of her father. This brings us back to where you shift the goal posts back and forth with your Choice #3, which you originally labeled as, "Possession / Either forms a marriage" and then described as meaning, "if you have a woman and nobody else objects, she's your wife." You clarified that by asserting that Possession was a stand-in for the presence of either consummation or a covenant, but you're conveniently dancing back and forth among differing standards, effectively failing to distinguish among apples, oranges and pears. If we're not talking about fatherly refusal, then both parental consent and the bride price are entirely irrelevant, so anything related to those issues can not be properly used as confirmation of possession being either proof of union or approved by YHWH. If, however, we are talking about fatherly refusal, then the only covenant that matters is the one made with the father, in which case if the man in the matter (enticer or enticee) runs off with the recent-virgin woman and you're going to assert as you have claimed it is so simple to do that they are indeed married, then the only thing that defines their situation as being one-flesh is the sexual consummation, which instead of being so simple is actually evidence that you have proved that your #3 (either/or) position is invalid, because you have walked straight into describing a situation that you assert is a marriage but is devoid of what would have been considered a legitimate covenant. The result is that only #1 and #4 choices would remain standing as possibilities.

There I was leaning toward thinking that maybe either possession or consummation or maybe even both were required for the union to be fully legitimate, and you have convinced me to lean back in the direction of sexual consummation being the whole thing (either that or a combination of consummation and not yet being divorced), still holding out for the potential that #4 (both) could be a reasonable conclusion.

Scripture is very clear that her father had the right to refuse to give her to him - and that is protection for a woman built into the Law. But there is absolutely no scripture I can think of (correct me if I am wrong) that states that every marriage MUST have the approval of the woman's father to be valid. If he chose not to refuse to give her to him, then she's with him. By default, she is now his. That's just reality.

Because of your false assumptions about my assumptions, this is mostly a red herring, but here again you fail to address the situation in which the father refuses but the man and woman go ahead and keep hanging out together and regularly uncovering each other's nakedness? Are you asserting that that possibility is just unthinkable? Or, are you assuming within your assertion here that fatherly approval is required? If the latter, are the two who have essentially eloped considered to be married/one-flesh/ttwcm'd? And, if not, then how are they not one-flesh while a john and his harlot are one-flesh?

I realize that you went on to answer these questions . . .

if he refuses but does not have the ability to enforce his refusal (e.g. if [the virgin-snatcher] brings a gang and steals her anyway, or if she elopes with him against her father's wishes), I see nothing in scripture to say she is not his wife. On the contrary, there are regulations about women captured in war that make it very clear that a captured woman does become a man's wife. In most cases the father would either object strongly or would have been killed in order to steal her. It's an evil situation, not something I am endorsing at all. But it happens, even today. And scripture is clear that once it has happened, if he and her form a marriage-type relationship, it is a real marriage.

The blessing of a father is a very good thing. But it is not essential for marriage to exist, so the lack of it does not invalidate a marriage.

Is that the sound of another nail in the coffin of the either/or situation?

I want to acknowledge that I may be entirely wrong about this, but I'm now expecting an argument that one could be married without ever consummating the marriage. Hypothetical example situation: father sells daughter to an impotent man who has 0 sexual desire and 0 willingness to even meet his purchased bride's due-benevolence needs. The 'marriage' is never consummated. This, I assert, as well as any other comparable example, is absurd. It's not a marriage any more than someone who is betrothed but not yet consummated is a marriage.

Please tell me how you haven't, all on your own, proved that sexual congress is an essential component but covenant is not, given that you've acknowledged that it would be considered a marriage if the two eloped without the father's blessing?

If you wish to propose that, you need to find some scripture to back it up. On this, you are the one making the most radical proposal, and need to find proof of it.

I didn't propose that, so I wouldn't need to waste my time looking for proof of it. Here's what I asserted I was researching:

Given the potential ramifications mentioned by Samuel in his OP and subsequently, however, the fact that the box isn't a nice neat little one doesn't leave me concluding that I can just let myself off the hook, either, though. I'm going to continue my informal research, as I suspect that, somewhere in Scripture (given that I doubt our Creator would have left something that important entirely out of His Word) He provides guidance regarding the situation of a non-consummated widowed betrothed woman. My further suspicion is that informal research is unlikely to uncover anything, so that means I'm looking at Episode 10 of reading Scripture cover-to-cover, keeping in mind the entire time, verse-by-verse that I'm specifically looking for that very particular situation. Because an answer to that dilemma has the potential to take us over the mountain and into the valley in regard to when TTWCM begins, what He means by what we call one-flesh in English, and perhaps even what it is that entails Him joining couples together.

I end with this: did you really mean to write this?:

I can't find any, @Pacman can't find any, so until and unless you find some scripture to back it up I think we should consider it false.

I should repeat that I'm not looking for proof of what you claimed I was making a radical proposal about, but that isn't what bothers me about your last sentence. Samuel, you may be one of the world's topmost authoritative experts on Scripture, but, as much as a danger it is to make assumptions, I'm going to assume that what you meant to write was that, "until and unless you find some scripture to back it up I think we should consider this to be unproven." Because assuming it to be false just because one hasn't oneself discovered a potential truth is to assume that one is incapable of anything but full knowledge, especially when one asserts that the rest of us should join one in one's conclusion -- most especially when the one making that assertion is the head of all of our moderators. Your assertions carry more influence than the rest of us can muster because of your status as administrator and moderator.

What gets glossed over with this debate is the issue of adultery. If we don’t know when one flesh is in effect we risk bringing a death sentence on our heads.

Context is King. Yeshua said that in the context of a man putting away a woman for the purpose of taking another woman.

Well, not exactly. I don't know what version you're quoting, @Pacman, but I just checked 30 English-language translations of Matthew 19:9, and only one includes in the passage anything like the phrase, "for the purpose of" ("I say if your wife has not committed some terrible sexual sin, you must not divorce her to marry someone else." [Contemporary English Version]). Each of four literal translations I consulted contained nothing that would indicate anything about the marriage of someone else only being restricted if it was done as part and parcel of divorcing a different woman. The Concordant Literal New Testament version reads, "Now I am saying to you that whoever should be dismissing his wife (not for prostitution) and should be marrying another, is committing adultery, and he who marries her who has been dismissed, is committing adultery."

The point of this verse, which was an example of Yeshua brilliantly dancing through yet another Pharisee trap) is to caution men against not only divorcing wives for anything but the most monumental sin on the part of a wife but for marrying women who have been inappropriately dismissed. By clear implication, Yeshua doesn't want men to marry such a treacherously-dismissed woman because he wants that woman to remain available for the repentant man to take her back into his family as his wife.

I hope by now I've established that I'm not a Hebrew Roots antagonist, but I do think there is, however, reason for caution for Torah Keepers especially to keep @The Revolting Man's admonition in mind. Paul/Sha'ul, in Romans 6 and elsewhere, asserts that the physical death penalties for adultery have been abolished and replaced with spiritual death, for which we have been forgiven at the cross/stake. However, for those who believe themselves bound entirely by Torah as well as the words of Yeshua and Sha'ul, the death sentence most certainly is the stated penalty for adultery (Leviticus 20:10).

[This next is, to some extent, an aside, but it is also relevant. In Matthew 19:9, we encounter one of the great examples of the corruption of Scripture in most English-language translations, and I'm not referring to the part about 'purpose.' In every literal translation I reviewed this afternoon, the exception for which a man is permitted to divorce a wife and be free to go on to marry other women is not adultery; it is instead prostitution. It's not fornication, it's not any immoral behavior, it's not every form of adultery -- it's specifically prostitution, which at the time this scripture was written was very clearly something even more specific than what we would now refer to as prostitution or whoredom, because prostitution among Israelite women was almost entirely unknown. Prostitution in that era was predominantly cult prostitution, and cult prostitutes provided sex, often even without charge, but it was always engaged in with the assumption if not the outright declaration that the man in question was pledging fealty to the pagan gods of the particular Gentile prostitute. Even setting that aside, though, this passage is one of many in Scripture that indicates that prostitution is considered more heinous than adultery, given that Yeshua didn't provide a blanket excuse for dismissal of a wife for committing adultery. We have been taught by our churches and our corrupted Bibles that any form of adultery was grounds for divorce, but what Yeshua actually said was prostitution, or whoredom, so selling one's body for payment or under contract to a cult temple was, if anything, a greater sin than other forms of adultery. It is therefore reasonable to at least consider the possibility that, as heinous as it would be for a wife to commit adultery with one man while married to another, Yeshua would advise forgiving her if she is truly repentant, but on the other hand He doesn't imply any such reaction to evidence of prostitution.]

Last edited:
FollowingHim said:
Also, more controversially, if he refuses but does not have the ability to enforce his refusal (e.g. if he brings a gang and steals her anyway, or if she elopes with him against her father's wishes), I see nothing in scripture to say she is not his wife.
Exodus 22:16-17 says this. It would be harlotry not ttwcm

It may not be unreasonable to infer that Exodus 22:16-17 says it is harlotry, but it decidedly does not say that. The initial act of sex between them could be defined as harlotry elsewhere in Scripture, but the eloping against her father's wishes is not even addressed directly in that passage.

[This next is, to some extent, an aside, but it is also relevant. In Matthew 19:9, we encounter one of the great examples of the corruption of Scripture in most English-language translations,

...Agreed...

and I'm not referring to the part about 'purpose.' In every literal translation I reviewed this afternoon, the exception for which a man is permitted to divorce a wife and be free to go on to marry other women is not adultery; it is instead prostitution. It's not fornication, it's not any immoral behavior, it's not every form of adultery -- it's specifically prostitution...

I will contend that the 'corruption of Scripture" is even more basic, Keith, and arguably thus overlooked:

Yahushua is NOT providing an "excuse" for putting her away (the correct rendering of the Hebrew, "shalach", in the originals He is referencing),
He is making a WHOLE 'Nuther Point entirely.

If she is guilty of "sexual sin" (including, but perhaps arguably not limited to, adultery) then she is deserving of death, not a 'certificate of divorce', allowing her to remarry. Note that He is not saying "kill her," (rabbit trail warning...) and furthermore most translations of that verse fail the easy "Matthew 5:17-19, and related Deuteronomy 13 tests:

If He was indeed changing His own Word, adding to or subtracting from, then He is NOT the Messiah, and is a liar, and the "truth is not in him."

So if a translation is contradictory to His own Word, and the rest of Scripture to boot, it's a MIS-translation.

And, bad as Matthew 5:31-32 has been butchered by the likes of the KJV, it's closer to what He almost certainly said, anyway.

A MAN who takes a second (or more) wife does not commit adultery, unless she already "has a living husband" (which is one aspect of the correct renderings). Fer sure, clearly...

But IF he "puts away" a wife, and does NOT give her a 'sefer keritutah' (certificate of divorce - which, interestingly, serves as a second witness for her at time for remarriage) THEN "he causeth HER" to commit adultery (for a bunch of obvious reasons), AND, as Numbers 30 makes clear, HE then 'bears her guilt.'

UNLESS, obviously, she is ALREADY an adulteress, in which case she bears her own guilt.

And that is what, consistently, Yahushua was making clear. (Along with other points, already clear, like if he was just a cheapskate who wanted 'next years' model' wife but couldn't otherwise afford two, and so on.)

IOW, the 'exception clause' is not an excuse for putting her away, it's the only valid reason for putting her away without ALSO completing the Deuteronomy 24:1-3 process, and giving her the written witness to remarry.

I don’t see possession being 100% ownership.
What is the difference between stealing a man’s horse and stealing his daughter?
Doesn't this mean that practically it is man and woman's choice that defines marriage?
I need to be clearer about what I am saying. I see a major difference between forbidding something, and saying it doesn't exist.

For instance, if I steal someone's chocolate bar, it's still their chocolate bar not mine, and I should give it back - at this stage, the theft is reversible. But, if I steal the chocolate bar and then eat it, it is now my chocolate bar. Practically speaking. There is no way I can give it back, even if I wanted to. The theft was still wrong, and needs to be compensated, but is no longer reversible. The theft has now changed the state of ownership in an irreversible way.

Just because it was a sin to steal the chocolate bar, does not mean that the theft did not occur.

The same applies if I steal a sack of dry cement from someone (still returnable), or then make concrete with that cement and use it to make a path (no longer returnable).

If I steal a man's horse, that is reversible. The simple act of theft does not change the horse in any way. It is not my horse, and I have to give it back. However, if I was French, and killed and ate the horse, practically speaking it is now my horse and cannot be returned. I can compensate the owner in a different way but can no longer give back the horse.
Put these two together, and I'll pose another question: in our legal system, 2nd degree murder is defined as purposefully killing another human being for any reason other than for self-protection or to protect another human being. The penalties range from years in prison to the death sentence. However, what about the illiterate young man raised without a father in the ghetto who has never been taught the value of human life and has been surrounded by other males who encourage him to randomly pick another human being to kill for no reason other than to prove himself worthy of initiation into a gang? Should we refrain from condemning him because he had a dearth of good teaching?
Murder is sinful, in any circumstances. The ignorance of the murderer does not change the fact that murder is a sin. However, once murder has occurred, the person is now dead. The fact that murder is sinful does not mean it does not exist, or that it is reversible. Although a sin, it actually results in a permanent and real outcome.

Likewise, I fully affirm that it is sinful for a man to steal a woman against her father's wishes. However, if he DOES take her anyway, sleeps with her, maybe gets her pregnant and has kids with her, can we say she is not his woman simply because her father disapproved? I would say no. The marriage was begun in sin - nevertheless it now actually exists. You cannot magically reverse it just by the father disapproving now.

This is because marriage involves a one-flesh union, which whether entirely physical (as I have proposed elsewhere) or spiritual, is still real. The woman and man involved are actually changed in some way to be united. That woman is no longer the virgin daughter who can be just given back to her father and all will return to normal - she is now a fundamentally different person on some level, and reality has changed in a non-reversible way (especially once she's had children, further binding her to her husband).

I am not in any way justifying forming a marriage in such a way. I am just recognising that, rightly or wrongly, the marriage does now exist. I see this as a pragmatic, realistic perspective.

Also, more controversially, if he refuses but does not have the ability to enforce his refusal (e.g. if he brings a gang and steals her anyway, or if she elopes with him against her father's wishes), I see nothing in scripture to say she is not his wife. On the contrary, there are regulations about women captured in war that make it very clear that a captured woman does become a man's wife. In most cases the father would either object strongly or would have been killed in order to steal her. It's an evil situation, not something I am endorsing at all. But it happens, even today. And scripture is clear that once it has happened, if he and her form a marriage-type relationship, it is a real marriage.
Is that the sound of another nail in the coffin of the either/or situation?

I want to acknowledge that I may be entirely wrong about this, but I'm now expecting an argument that one could be married without ever consummating the marriage. Hypothetical example situation: father sells daughter to an impotent man who has 0 sexual desire and 0 willingness to even meet his purchased bride's due-benevolence needs. The 'marriage' is never consummated. This, I assert, as well as any other comparable example, is absurd. It's not a marriage any more than someone who is betrothed but not yet consummated is a marriage.

Please tell me how you haven't, all on your own, proved that sexual congress is an essential component but covenant is not, given that you've acknowledged that it would be considered a marriage if the two eloped without the father's blessing?
Good point @Keith Martin. Got me thinking there.

This is probably a situation that is easiest solved by recognising that TTWCM is a social construct that doesn't directly relate to scripture. If we trim it back to the central points we find:
  • A person with a covenant agreement with a woman's father to take a woman as his own, now has possession of that woman. She is his woman, he is her man, it's all on paper and everyone agrees that is the reality. She is his by virtue of covenant, even if he has not had sex with her.
  • A man who elopes with a woman from her father without his permission, and has sex with her - now also has her. She is his woman. Her father mightn't like it, but the reality is that she is with him and there's little he can do about it. She is his by virtue of reality and the fact they now have a one flesh sexual union.
In other words, "either/or" if we must give each of those situations the label of "marriage". But if we forget about trying to apply the label, it's even easier.

I left my computer shortly after the above posts, and while I was gone, I ended up pounding a nail in my own coffin, so it is only right that I demonstrate holding myself as accountable as I asserted a brother should be held accountable for occupying the indecisive middle ground in a situation like the one we've been discussing with a father who neither gives his blessing nor refuses to give it.

I was out of line by posting the following, which occupied the final portion of the lengthy post above in response to Samuel:

I end with this: did you really mean to write this?:

I can't find any, @Pacman can't find any, so until and unless you find some scripture to back it up I think we should consider it false.

I should repeat that I'm not looking for proof of what you claimed I was making a radical proposal about, but that isn't what bothers me about your last sentence. Samuel, you may be one of the world's topmost authoritative experts on Scripture, but, as much as a danger it is to make assumptions, I'm going to assume that what you meant to write was that, "until and unless you find some scripture to back it up I think we should consider this to be unproven." Because assuming it to be false just because one hasn't oneself discovered a potential truth is to assume that one is incapable of anything but full knowledge, especially when one asserts that the rest of us should join one in one's conclusion -- most especially when the one making that assertion is the head of all of our moderators. Your assertions carry more influence than the rest of us can muster because of your status as administrator and moderator.

This was neither the time nor the place for me to inject a complaint about your moderator status. For one thing, this is your thread, and that means that what I wrote in this paragraph absolutely doesn't belong. It's rude, and it distracts from the discussion at hand as well. I therefore beg your forgiveness, Samuel, and you have my blessing to remove that section of my post above and this as well, but only if you wish, because to remove it may be to let me off the hook too lightly.

I really am sorry.

It may not be unreasonable to infer that Exodus 22:16-17 says it is harlotry, but it decidedly does not say that. The initial act of sex between them could be defined as harlotry elsewhere in Scripture, but the eloping against her father's wishes is not even addressed directly in that passage.

If the father refuses but she stays with him anyway then it's not a legit union. It's rebellion, label it what you want but it is not righteous. And it's not "what God has joined together".

Yahushua is NOT providing an "excuse" for putting her away (the correct rendering of the Hebrew, "shalach", in the originals He is referencing),

I did not intend to imply that Yah was providing an "excuse" for putting away one's wife, and, if I did say anything like that, then I misspoke. Neither Yah nor Yeshua do anything to provide excuses.

He is making a WHOLE 'Nuther Point entirely. If she is guilty of "sexual sin" (including, but perhaps arguably not limited to, adultery) then she is deserving of death, not a 'certificate of divorce', allowing her to remarry.

I almost completely agree with your entire analysis, and I so appreciate your awareness of the degree to which translations have corrupted His Word.

You and I will probably have to just agree to disagree about a couple things here, though. One I won't mention, because it's the type of faith matter I believe demonstrates disrespect when brothers argue about it. The other, also, is something may only seem to me to be a disagreement (I could be wrong about this, so please correct me; writing about this is helping me organize my thoughts, though, so please bear with the fact that I'm writing what I'm writing even though I'm unsure if you disagree): that your interpretation that the primary focus of Matthew 5:31-32 and 19:9 is the woman's adultery guilt, whereas I read both of them as being primarily admonitions to men. Here's 5:31-32: "Now it was declared, Whoever should be dismissing his wife, let him be giving her a divorce. Yet I am saying to you that everyone dismissing his wife (outside of a case of [there it is again . . .] prostitution) is making her commit adultery, and whosoever should be marrying her who has been dismissed is committing adultery. [CLNT] Not only is Yeshua asserting that the husband who dismisses his wife for anything other than prostitution is causing her to become an adulterer, he is emphasizing that the man who subsequently marries her is adultering as well. Both this and 19:9 are clear indications that Yah and Yeshua both consider this woman to still be the first man's wife; the adultery occurs when a man has sexual relations with another man's wife. Something that hasn't been made clear by either passage in a definitive way is whether the admonition against marrying a woman who has been dismissed applies to every woman who has been dismissed or just to each woman who has been dismissed as in this context: without a certificate of divorce.

With your referral to 5:31-32, I also become further convinced that the literal translation of 'prostitution' or 'whoredom' is not inconsequential in His Word. You made this caveat:

UNLESS, obviously, she is ALREADY an adulteress, in which case she bears her own guilt.

Which, had the word actually been 'adulter,' would in all likelihood be the case based on other scriptures, but it should be noted that that addendum is not associated with either 5:31-32 or 19:9.

Instead, what is asserted, without any 'unless' clause, is, as, for example in the circumstances you mentioned in which a man . . .

was just a cheapskate who wanted 'next years' model' wife but couldn't otherwise afford two

. . . that the wife being dismissed can only be properly dismissed if the man expects to permanently remain unmarried. It is made clear in both 5:32 and 19:9 that any man who dismisses a wife for anything other prostitution is "committing adultery" if he "should be marrying another."

I don't, by the way, perceive that we disagree on this last part, just on where the focus lies -- unless, of course, you believe a man can marry as many times as he wants as long as he gives out certificates of divorce and doesn't marry someone with a living husband.

IOW, the 'exception clause' is not an excuse for putting her away, it's the only valid reason for putting her away without ALSO completing the Deuteronomy 24:1-3 process, and giving her the written witness to remarry.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I need to be clearer about what I am saying. I see a major difference between forbidding something, and saying it doesn't exist.

For instance, if I steal someone's chocolate bar, it's still their chocolate bar not mine, and I should give it back - at this stage, the theft is reversible. But, if I steal the chocolate bar and then eat it, it is now my chocolate bar. Practically speaking. There is no way I can give it back, even if I wanted to. The theft was still wrong, and needs to be compensated, but is no longer reversible. The theft has now changed the state of ownership in an irreversible way.

Just because it was a sin to steal the chocolate bar, does not mean that the theft did not occur.

The same applies if I steal a sack of dry cement from someone (still returnable), or then make concrete with that cement and use it to make a path (no longer returnable).

If I steal a man's horse, that is reversible. The simple act of theft does not change the horse in any way. It is not my horse, and I have to give it back. However, if I was French, and killed and ate the horse, practically speaking it is now my horse and cannot be returned. I can compensate the owner in a different way but can no longer give back the horse.

Murder is sinful, in any circumstances. The ignorance of the murderer does not change the fact that murder is a sin. However, once murder has occurred, the person is now dead. The fact that murder is sinful does not mean it does not exist, or that it is reversible. Although a sin, it actually results in a permanent and real outcome.

Likewise, I fully affirm that it is sinful for a man to steal a woman against her father's wishes. However, if he DOES take her anyway, sleeps with her, maybe gets her pregnant and has kids with her, can we say she is not his woman simply because her father disapproved? I would say no. The marriage was begun in sin - nevertheless it now actually exists. You cannot magically reverse it just by the father disapproving now.

This is because marriage involves a one-flesh union, which whether entirely physical (as I have proposed elsewhere) or spiritual, is still real. The woman and man involved are actually changed in some way to be united. That woman is no longer the virgin daughter who can be just given back to her father and all will return to normal - she is now a fundamentally different person on some level, and reality has changed in a non-reversible way (especially once she's had children, further binding her to her husband).

I am not in any way justifying forming a marriage in such a way. I am just recognising that, rightly or wrongly, the marriage does now exist. I see this as a pragmatic, realistic perspective.

Thank you for all of that clarification. If I can summarize in a statement and a question: I get that you are defining possession as being determined by who actually has the item or experience in question; are you also saying that, if something cannot be reversed, then ownership has been transferred?

In other words, "either/or" if we must give each of those situations the label of "marriage". But if we forget about trying to apply the label, it's even easier.

I know, you keep saying this, and you keep admonishing 'us' to forget about the label, but to do that would require us to imagine going back to a mythical time in which human beings didn't yet have speech, because the very most rudimentary linguistics always begins with putting labels on things and experiences.

This is probably a situation that is easiest solved by recognising that TTWCM is a social construct that doesn't directly relate to scripture.

That is easily falsifiable, unless by TTWCM we demand that the word 'marriage' be literally found in the original manuscripts. The word 'fucking' isn't found in Scripture, either, and yet we all know exactly what is meant by it, and we certainly recognize when Scripture speaks of it, even though It does so mostly with euphemisms. When it comes to whatever-it-is-one-wants-to-call-marriage, Scripture is even more descriptive and far less euphemistic about it than it is with that pulling-up-the-skirt thing human beings do that sometimes results in with-childness.

And in this entire discussion you started, I can't remember anyone asserting that licenses from churches or the state were what we were talking about or what is required to define a marriage as having started. We're talking about sex, contracts, sex or contracts, or sex and contracts.

So when you say such things, I read them as distractions and start wondering why you do that.

We all know what we're talking about when we use the word 'marriage;' the exploration is not about whether marriage exists; it's about when it is initiated. No matter what phrase we use ("what God joins together;" "she now belongs to him;" etc.), what is it that marks its onset?

If we trim it back to the central points we find:
  • A person with a covenant agreement with a woman's father to take a woman as his own, now has possession of that woman. She is his woman, he is her man, it's all on paper and everyone agrees that is the reality. She is his by virtue of covenant, even if he has not had sex with her.
Really? Does anyone really believe that that is what people (and it matters what people think in the context of the surrounding supporting culture) or YHWH (and it matters what He thinks in the context of His Intentions for Creation -- "be fruitful and multiply," blah blah blah) consider a marriage? Even if they never f***, l***, g****, s***, s****** or e******** on or in each other? Ever? No one other than some kind of social justice warrior would begin to consider that a real marriage.

I know you're in New Zealand, so this news may not have made its way over there, but the argument that some heterosexual couples sometimes never have children and the argument that some heterosexual couples sometimes never end up consummating their relationships were both part of the briefs used to battle the gay marriage case up to the U.S. Supreme Court, because they knew that painting verbal pictures about what Joe and Larry wanted to enshrine wasn't the most persuasive strategy. Similar arguments have legitimized a woman marrying a porpoise in Britain, and now people are asserting that they can marry their cars, their desk chairs and their fruit baskets even though they can't consummate those relationships (I hope) -- because they're attached to them and feel some supposed reciprocity.

Two people who never f*** simply are not married in any real sense, and even if we label them married on a technicality (because the Justice of the Peace doesn't demand a Promise to Bone), they are at best an exception to the rule that only further proves that sexual congress is an absolutely essential component of marriage or whatever else one wants to call that thing that makes the world go round -- which logically implies that the marriage hasn't begun just because it's been charted out on paper.

If, therefore, marriage requires sex, but marriage doesn't require the contract, because, as you agree, despite the associated rancor, a couple can skip past that whole thing of getting daddy's blessing (and we sure know in modern times one doesn't have to get a marriage license or even create a bonding agreement between the two parties), then aren't we approaching the end of this discussion -- other than to wallow around in the mud wrestling pit of which is the righter or wronger way to do it?

I suspect we can all generally agree that it's definitely superior to get a father's approval, to make commitments to the father about how his daughter will be treated, and to make certain commitments to the daughter before getting married, but there it is, right at the end of that nearly-run-on first section of this compound sentence: "before getting married." Marriage will be superior if there's a legitimate covenant in place, but it'll still be marriage even if it's inferior.

For my part, I believe I'll still ask for my 52-year-old-wife's father's blessing, and I also probably won't be able to stop myself from searching for that widowed betrothed woman through the Bible, but I'm back to concluding that the proper answer is (1) Sex forms a marriage.

If the father refuses but she stays with him anyway then it's not a legit union. It's rebellion, label it what you want but it is not righteous. And it's not "what God has joined together".
Know this, @Pacman, other than the ultimate conclusion of the answer to this thread, you were more persuasive to me than anyone else and greatly assisted me in this journey.

However, for the context of this discussion, I've been almost totally focused on Scripture. I won't argue with you that harlotry wasn't part of it, but you didn't provide scriptures that define a permanent relationship that ends up ensuing as permanent harlotry. That doesn't mean that the relationship didn't start in sin, but once the man takes permanent responsibility for the woman, isn't it reasonable to conclude, without scriptures contrary to that, that the harlotry nature of it tapers off somewhere in there?

What I'm really heartened by, though, is that you brought back up the "what God has joined together" thing. Does this mean you can point me to a Bible passage that tells us how we can recognize when it happens and what it means when God joins a man and a woman together? Because that's still one of those unanswered questions I have that were inspired by certain assertions by folks who may or may not still be with us.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of that clarification. If I can summarize in a statement and a question: I get that you are defining possession as being determined by who actually has the item or experience in question; are you also saying that, if something cannot be reversed, then ownership has been transferred?
Effectively, for all practical purposes - yes.

Let's say you inherited an axe. It came from your father, who got it from his father, who got it from his father, and so forth. It's always been considered a family heirloom. However, you find out one day in intensive research of old documents, that your great-great-great-great-grandfather actually stole it - let's say he bought it from the local store on credit but never paid. It would be completely impossible to track down the descendants of the store owner even if there are any - and if there are, there are probably thousands of them by now, so if you were to fairly give it back you'd have to cut it into tiny pieces.

Is it your axe?

My answer would be simply "yes". It is your axe, now. It shouldn't have become your axe. But it did, and is now your axe. Your axe just happens to have a fascinating history.
A person with a covenant agreement with a woman's father to take a woman as his own, now has possession of that woman. She is his woman, he is her man, it's all on paper and everyone agrees that is the reality. She is his by virtue of covenant, even if he has not had sex with her.
Two people who never f*** simply are not married in any real sense
In the example I gave, does the woman in question belong to the man in question?
Would she say of him "this is my man"?
Would he say of her "this is my woman"?

Note the wording I used, my questions are very specific.
Let's say they are together for 10 years and have half a dozen children. Then look at the scripture and decide they were wrong to elope without her father's blessing. And, for arguments sake, let's say he still disapproves and has not changed his mind.

What would you have them do now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yan
Back