• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

0: When does marriage begin? - Structured discussion

Hi, @Pacman.

You are correct about the example being ridiculous. It was meant to be ridiculous, but it was not intended to ridicule you.

My questions are entirely sincere. As I wrote somewhere, it's unlikely that I'm going to be become a Torah Keeper or that I will alter my entire life to correct for all past decisions to line up with everything I learn here, but I can promise this: what I ultimately learn will significantly affect my life in a fruit-of-the-spirit way. That's how serious I am.

At the same time, I'm going to bring my personality into the discussion, so that I crack wise and/or behave irreverently shouldn't be a surprise.

Ah, there's that cowardly-lion moderate non-choice option popping up again. I'm just imagining how this would have worked in 4th-Century B.C. Palestine . . . "Hey, sir, wow, I really do love that new robe you're sporting today. I come bearing a wheel-barrow full of shekels in hopes that you will create a betrothal covenant with me so I can marry your daughter, Zechanirita. What do you think about that?"

To which daddy Ishchattelstein just sits there. Beads of sweat appear on his forehead. Off in the far distance can be heard the bray-honk-snort of a camel in a nearby village. Paint dries on the wall. Young Eli isn't sure what to do, but eventually he quietly gets up and rides his scooterschettel back to his own municipality, hoping to get a reading from a rabbi about how to proceed.

And I guess the advice will be, hey, he didn't refuse, so you're in, man!

This ridiculous example is completely out of context from what I said.

Again, it's a ridiculous example, but it's not out of context, because I very purposefully narrowed down what I was responding to to the issue I'd already been writing about regarding the cowardice of failing to either approve or refuse. Now, if I misrepresented you there by making my focus too narrow, please tell me how I've done that, and I will read carefully what you write and am prepared to acknowledge that I'm wrong in this (or any other) instance. I'm so verbose I'm almost guaranteed to be wrong about things on a fairly regular basis.

But the ridiculous example was only intended to ridicule the stance that refusing to take a stance isn't cowardice. I didn't even get the impression that supporting that kind of cowardice was your primary point in what you were writing; that's why I divorced that part of your statement from everything else, because I took it more to be an example that you had probably just unconsciously passed along that sentiment. I probably should have written that in my response. My only excuse is that I am constantly squeezing my verbosity here into every spare sliver of time I find on my hands during my almost-always-busy days.

So are you saying that you're not suggesting that the man who entered into the union under a condition of father-refusal has to set aside his woman and children but that the union will still never be legitimate? If you're not saying they should split up, and you're asserting that the relationship will never be legitimate, what effect should that have on the union in the long run? On the children of such a union?

What I'm getting at is, is there any tangible consequence for eloping against a father's will other than having a Scarlet I (for illegitimate) painted on one's front door?

Or are you going the other way? Do you think this is death-penalty territory?

This is different from what you said before.

Well, of course it is, because I've been saying a lot of things in the course of this deep discussion. I have a rather large number of questions related to how we determine when marriage or one-fleshedness or, as you put it, ttwcm ensues, and I'm asking all of them I can think of. Don't infer that every one of my questions implies that I have my own definitive answers for each of those questions, because that's not the case -- and I would assert that this is one of those discussions within which one can't possible escape contradictions.

It is also the case that my viewpoint about much of this has been evolving as the discussion proceeds, and in one significant realm it very much evolved toward your point of view and then, not because of anything you wrote but because of other factors, it evolved back away from your point of view, although certainly not all the way back. If you can point out exactly what it was I said before that was different, it's probably pretty likely that I'll completely agree with you that it's different.

What if the father doesn't refuse but you don't pay the bride price? Is it still not a legitimate union?

That's a good question. It is my opinion that the father is the one who sets the price... (I'm willing to be shown if I'm incorrect) so I guess the smart move for the father would be to say "you can have her once this price is paid.. " if he gives her away without requiring a price I guess that's his fault...

Thanks, and bingo. And, to @steve's point, if he does so he's at fault via cowardice in regard to protecting his daughter. Certainly it's a failure to protect his daughter if the man literally stole his daughter and robbed her of her virginity, but even in many cases it's a failure to protect his daughter if the daughter and the man jointly colluded in eloping. Many, but I'd still say not most cases, whether in today's culture or in 6th century BC culture.

As far as the bride price goes, I think Exodus 22:17 addresses this by referring to "according to the bride-price for virgins" [CVOT, italics added], which reads like something that would commonly be considered the bride-price rather than something set by the father. Other passages, though, do refer to fathers setting bride-prices, and somewhere, sometime, I read a rabbinical commentary about men purposefully refusing to pay the asking price for a willing daughter, because the father's set amount was excessive and the issue would then be taken to the religious leaders, who would expect the husband to pay a more common fee. No doubt a certain amount of supply-and-demand capitalism went on with fathers asking more for more desirable daughters, but it would seem that measures were in place to prevent price gouging, which would not have protected the daughters, given that an opportunistic father could force his daughter to only be able to marry some rich ogre of a man by setting the price higher than any of the other suitors could rustle up.

...I read a rabbinical commentary about men purposefully refusing to pay the asking price for a willing daughter, because the father's set amount was excessive and the issue would then be taken to the religious leaders, who would expect the husband to pay a more common fee. No doubt a certain amount of supply-and-demand capitalism went on with fathers asking more for more desirable daughters...

I recall an article some years back that argued that Shlomo/Solomon was in large part responsible for a "cyclical downturn" in plural marriage during the late period of unified Israel, not only because he was personally consuming much of the available supply (modern analogy: how Washington prices ammo out of the reach of the citizenry) but because of the 'bride price' issue.

Fewer and fewer men were able to afford available women, when so many ended up being daughters of the monarch, or competing with his many sons...

What we haven’t really discussed here is protection for the daughter.
The point at which the marriage actually begins would end any protection that the father could provide, giving the right and responsibility over to her new husband. So the point of this thread is a really big deal.

I’m not talking about how this would work out in our present lawless culture, just how it should play out in a righteous culture.
If someone elopes with your daughter, the father appears to have the right to deny the union when he hears of it. If the elopees refuse to bow to his wishes, I don’t see why he doesn’t have the right to mount a posse and flat out retrieve her. As I said earlier, stealing a man’s daughter is an act of war. Something that a righteous community would not allow to stand unchallenged.

The thing is, if the absconder was a reasonably good man, maybe an apology and working off the bride price would suffice.
But a reasonably good man wouldn’t have stolen her in the first place. So an act of cowardice on the part of her father would condemn her to a life that she didn’t realize would come: That of raising children with a scoundrel.
Better for her future that the father take her back and give her as a second or third wife of a good man.
The future is too long for; “You made your bed, now you have to sleep in it.”
But ostensibly she rebelled. That’s a sin akin to witchcraft. She made a choice, a bad one. Why would she get out of jail free for that?

But ostensibly she rebelled. That’s a sin akin to witchcraft. She made a choice, a bad one. Why would she get out of jail free for that?
Well, while waiting for Steve's response, I have two replies:
  1. What I wrote above:
    Thanks, and bingo. And, to @steve's point, if he does so he's at fault via cowardice in regard to protecting his daughter. Certainly it's a failure to protect his daughter if the man literally stole his daughter and robbed her of her virginity, but even in many cases it's a failure to protect his daughter if the daughter and the man jointly colluded in eloping. Many, but I'd still say not most cases, whether in today's culture or in 6th century BC culture.
    ; and

2. Perhaps the same answer to just about any bad decision we make that deserves nothing more than the wrath of YHWH: being washed in the blood of Yeshua. Of course, this would require acknowledgement of the sin, repentance, atonement and commitment to moving forward with a renewed orientation, which isn't exactly a get-out-of-jail-free card, but I rarely meet a human being I even suspect might possibly possess an absence of needing this redemption, so I'm going to assert its relevance.
:cool:

In addition to Keith’s points, for what reason are fathers and husbands given the right and the responsibility to countermand decisions made by the weaker vessels? Simply to protect them because they are the weaker vessels.
If you choose to not protect your daughter, you are also choosing to not protect your innocent grandchildren.

In addition to Keith’s points, for what reason are fathers and husbands given the right and the responsibility to countermand decisions made by the weaker vessels? Simply to protect them because they are the weaker vessels.
If you choose to not protect your daughter, you are also choosing to not protect your innocent grandchildren.
Wow; that rang a bell a bell on the nerve that hit.

The failure of protection happened when he got access to her. We’re already dealing with a series of failures by flawed men; the father and the seducer.

Let me use some absurdity for a moment to try and illustrate a point.

The ones flesh relationship is a metaphor for the relationship between God and His bride(s). We all agree with that I won’t belabor the point. When God is approached by a bride (convert) does He check with her father or her former God before He takes that bride (convert)? The answer is of course no. If these two things are a metaphor how does that fit in?

I’m having trouble with the reply function out here in the boondocks.

“ If these two things are a metaphor how does that fit in?”

It fits absolutely perfectly if we are virgins. Then Yeshua would have received us from his/our Father.
Before we were born, He espoused us to His son, but most of us took the scenic route.

Most of us have proven ourselves to be sluts. Runaways from the Father.

The ones flesh relationship is a metaphor for the relationship between God and His bride(s). We all agree with that I won’t belabor the point. When God is approached by a bride (convert) does He check with her father or her former God before He takes that bride (convert)? The answer is of course no. If these two things are a metaphor how does that fit in?

The woman is declaring her old "Head" to be a false idol - not represented by Christ - if she seeks to move out of that household, and likewise, her new man a savior-figure whose head is Christ. Super complicated outcomes if she is wrong about either. Even if she is right, and she claims belief, we go to to 1 Corinthians 7:12-16 and see that it would, even in the case he was an unbeliever, be prudent to stay together. So doesn't it break down in "One Body of Christ" - that is if all three were believers? There is no false idol to be rescued from, only rebellion. I suppose ignorance may be a part of the issue too, but who can measure such a thing as a lack of knowledge?

I’m having trouble with the reply function out here in the boondocks.

“ If these two things are a metaphor how does that fit in?”

It fits absolutely perfectly if we are virgins. Then Yeshua would have received us from his/our Father.
Before we were born, He espoused us to His son, but most of us took the scenic route.

Most of us have proven ourselves to be sluts. Runaways from the Father.
We’re born sluts. We’re never virgins from a spiritual stand point.

Not everyone... What about a man who is born in the faith circumcised on the 8th day. Raised in the Torah and never departs from it? If someone never worships a false god...

Not everyone... What about a man who is born in the faith circumcised on the 8th day. Raised in the Torah and never departs from it? If someone never worships a false god...
Aside from Yeshua, can you point to anyone else having accomplished this?

Pay close attention to newborns prior to the 8th day; they are known to begin manipulating even beyond meeting needs prior to a week old.

I believe myriad examples exist in Scripture to indicate that part of the purpose of The Law is to bring consciousness to the fact of a sinful nature. It's not just a system of rules one can follow to successfully avoid being sinful.

We are told in Psalm 58:3, The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.
People are sinners from conception therefore they sin in practice. Their sin will be in all aspects of life so I wouldn't expect it to exclude false gods to some degree.

Pay close attention to newborns prior to the 8th day; they are known to begin manipulating even beyond meeting needs prior to a week old.

I believe myriad examples exist in Scripture to indicate that part of the purpose of The Law is to bring consciousness to the fact of a sinful nature. It's not just a system of rules one can follow to successfully avoid being sinful.
This can’t be said enough.

Luke 1:5-6

We are told in Psalm 58:3, The wicked are estranged from the womb; They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.
People are sinners from conception therefore they sin in practice. Their sin will be in all aspects of life so I wouldn't expect it to exclude false gods to some degree.

Not claiming anyone is without sin... Just saying that the idea we ALL worship a false god before worshipping YHWH is not true.

Not claiming anyone is without sin... Just saying that the idea we ALL worship a false god before worshipping YHWH is not true.
I'm guessing but is your reference above to Luke 1:5-6 your proof text? If so, the construction indicates the current situation for Zacharias and Elizabeth, not what they may or may not have done at some point in the past.

Before we try to delve too deep here, perhaps you could clarify what you mean by worshipping a false god? I suspect a difference in our understandings. Shalom

Before we try to delve too deep here, perhaps you could clarify what you mean by worshipping a false god? I suspect a difference in our understandings. Shalom

It's in response to this:

Context of this is spiritual adultery. That's specifically worshipping foreign gods it's not just any sin but a very specific sin...

Back