• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hashing out the two first wives.

OK I feel like a goof ball right now. A lot has happened since the retreat. My wife is sitting here next to me and when I clicked on the link and she said we have that book, I think. Then it hits me like a ton of bricks, ohhh yeah we got that at the retreat. Then she gets it off the bookshelf. Sorry @PeteR we have a lot on our plate. But the book is in my hot little hands now.
Ol Pete is certainly a sly dog, sneaking it onto your bookshelf like that ;)

OK I feel like a goof ball right now. A lot has happened since the retreat. My wife is sitting here next to me and when I clicked on the link and she said we have that book, I think. Then it hits me like a ton of bricks, ohhh yeah we got that at the retreat. Then she gets it off the bookshelf. Sorry @PeteR we have a lot on our plate. But the book is in my hot little hands now.

See, God works in mysterious ways. He provides even when we don't even know it.

Yep he has a great marketing campaign going for sure.
....and the brilliance of using you to place it there.
For such a time as this.

Do you think Paul was trying to establish his credentials so others would be convinced to a Jewish way of thinking or was he trying to say that he was all that and he still believed in the Messiah had come? That who he use to be didn't matter now that Christ opened his eyes?
Paul addresses that in v7-8; But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ.

"Your father made our yoke heavy. Now therefore lighten the hard service of your father and his heavy yoke upon us, and we will serve you." (1 Kings 12:4 RSV).

"When Rehoboam came to Jerusalem, he assembled all the house of Judah, and the tribe of Benjamin, a hundred and eighty thousand chosen warriors, to fight against the house of Israel, to restore the kingdom to Rehoboam the son of Solomon." (1 Kings 12:21 RSV)

Isaiah 11:13 says, "Then the jealousy of Ephraim will depart, and those who harass Judah will be cut off. Ephraim will not be jealous of Judah and Judah will not harass Ephraim."

Gal 4:28Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”

So the initial conflict between Judah and Israel had to do with work load and taxation, but it appears to have turned into something more. Which most commentaries today relate to the subject of Law and Grace. What would you say is the conflict at the present time between Judah and Israel?

Gal 4:28Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”
I still think you misinterpret this passage thinking Judah is of Hagar and Joseph is of Sarah...

Paul uses Sarah and Hagar as an illustration of salvation by works v. salvation by faith. . Abraham was clearly saved by faith (Gen. 15:6) but he did the works of righteousness proving his salvation (Gen. 26:5).

Galatians is not about doing away with the Torah, it is about salvation by faith. Obedience to God's Law ( not Talmud/rabbinic additions) is evidence of salvation.

Paul uses Sarah and Hagar as an illustration of salvation by works v. salvation by faith. .

I agree with this. And by the way, I was not at all trying to secretly imply anything, I was sincerely trying to figure out what exactly is the conflict between Judah and Israel that God seems to be trying to repair.

Abraham was clearly saved by faith (Gen. 15:6) but he did the works of righteousness proving his salvation (Gen. 26:5).

Gen 26:5 is only assuming that God is speaking about the Law (Torah) that was given after Abraham. Again, what are these Laws?

Galatians is not about doing away with the Torah, it is about salvation by faith. Obedience to God's Law ( not Talmud/rabbinic additions) is evidence of salvation.

I agree with the first part of your statement, the second part is a bias towards your own belief, BUT the evidence of salvation is a continued surrender to the salvation work of Christ and the recognition of one's transfer from slavery of sin to the ownership of God the Savior. And with that ownership comes the obedience to God's Laws interpreted by the Holy Spirit. It's just a natural manifestation. Any thing forced is not natural and is work.

However I do agree with this part, "Obedience to God's Law ( not Talmud/rabbinic additions)".

Genuine question, what is the position of Torah followers in regard to the Law of Circumcision?

Genuine question, what is the position of Torah followers in regard to the Law of Circumcision?
Divided. Key is circumcision of the heart... I believe each needs to wrestle this before the Father. Personally, I do not feel convicted for additional 'sacrifice' as the Dr. did a pretty good job when I was a baby... :eek:

Divided. Key is circumcision of the heart... I believe each needs to wrestle this before the Father. Personally, I do not feel convicted for additional 'sacrifice' as the Dr. did a pretty good job when I was a baby... :eek:

This is exactly what I have been trying to say this whole time. The Law is very important, foundational. However, conviction is a key component and with the help of the Holy Spirit we will each come to accept God's interpretion of the Law as we follow Him. And I agree each person most wrestle with God to come to His understanding and give way to our own. What we can do for each other is accept this about our brothers and sisters, encourage them, but leave them in God's hands.

@Nikud re: the forbidden chapter Isaiah 53, not much but a little bit of info here. Cool vid too.

Notice what he says about Daniel 9 as proof the Messiah would be cut off before the Second Temple destruction (70 AD) This directly disproves the Simon bar Kochba Messiah (90 AD -135 AD) appointed by Rabbi Akiva in connection with the Council of Jamnia and narrows the window down to the 90 year period of its reconstruction (20 BC - 70 AD)

@Nikud re: the forbidden chapter Isaiah 53, not much but a little bit of info here. Cool vid too.

Notice what he says about Daniel 9 as proof the Messiah would be cut off before the Second Temple destruction (70 AD) This directly disproves the Simon bar Kochba Messiah (90 AD -135 AD) appointed by Rabbi Akiva in connection with the Council of Jamnia and narrows the window down to the 90 year period of its reconstruction (20 BC - 70 AD)
Simon bar Kochba Messiah is one of six failed Messiahs that fringe groups beleived in, I have a thread here about them and the poor souls decived by them. Isaiah 53 is not forbidden it is taught just not that it's about the Messiah. They say the servant being mentioned in it is Israel, theyr'e wrong, but it's not a forbiden from being read.

https://godtv.com/forbidden-chapter-in-the-hebrew-bible-jews-acknowledge-jesus-as-the-messiah/

An article written by the ones that made the video. In it they say that most Jews beleive it is forbidden. Good editing when the asked if they heard about this, inference to chapter 53 being forbidden to make it appear as if they were saying they never read Isaiah 53.

In reality less than 5% of the Prophets are read during the HaftTorah, but it is regularly read and discussed in bible study groups at synagogues and many of Rabbi have made their "careers" on it publishing multiple books of commentary. The Chumas I showed you, the blue book, has 20 different commentaries about it.

Difference in beleif, even a wrong beleif, isn't that same as it being forbidden.

So why don't most Jews recognize that Isaiah 53 is about Yeshua, it's because they've never read the 2nd testament. Why haven't they read it on their own if it's not read as part of the hafttorah? The same reasons why many "Christians" haven't read it. I appreciate the work that Jewish Voice, One for Israel, Jews for Jesus do when they are actually spreading the Message of Yeshua, the rhetoric they use to appeal to potential Christian donors hurts their cause more that the money they get helps. Plus is spreads disinformation that can bring out the worst in people.

This is what is taught about Isaiah 53 in the synagogues. It also has rebuttals against Christian beleifs which is good to know for those of us who actually share the Messiah with the House of Judah.

https://outreachjudaism.org/are-the-jews-hiding-something/

https://www.aish.com/sp/ph/Isaiah_53_The_Suffering_Servant.html?mobile=yes

I'd like to state just because it's not read as the HattTorah doesn't mean it's not read and discussed in bible studies.

I'd like to state just because it's not read as the HattTorah doesn't mean it's not read and discussed in bible studies.

There are a lot of parts of the Christian scriptures which are likewise not read in church as part of the regular rotation and likewise are not prohibited from being discusses and read elsewhere. But in practice they never are and may even be discouraged from being studied. One could fairly claim they are forbidden rhetorically, even though no Christians literally forbids them. It's the same end.

Confirmation bias... people, theologians included, tend to only read what confirms their position and bypass or explain away the rest.

Hey! Practical application!

Ezekiel 37:15-22... the prophet Ezekiel is told to take two sticks (representing the two brides) and 'bring them near (each other)'.. most English translations say 'join' in v. 17, but the Hebrew 'qarab', קרב, means to bring near. Then it is God who makes the two echad, אחד, united in HIS hand.

The practical: we as men can bring our ladies together, but we can't make them אחד, united. That is a matter of the heart only God can do... therefore, more time in prayer. More tome fasting. More time seeking our head and His hand of favor...

But I'm still trying to figure out what is the problem between the two wives. Does scripture ever say besides the issue with workload and taxation that brought the division in the first place?

But I'm still trying to figure out what is the problem between the two wives. Does scripture ever say besides the issue with workload and taxation that brought the division in the first place?
Isaiah 11:13 says envy and jealousy. Both, I think, can be traced to each desiring what the other has, and each wanting the other gone. Jacob gave the scepter to Judah and the name/fruitfulness to Joseph aka Ephraim. They each retain those places of honor until this day. (Yes, Yeshua is the Messiah, but that does not negate the special place and role of Judah.) Genesis 49, in the Hebrew, is written to the latter day sons....

This morning I was cited in an article that connects with this topic:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/...-theology-popping-up-sign-redemption-nearing/

The point is, if Ephraim and Judah are two wives, as we believe Scripture portrays them, then we should see at the macro level what a plural household experiences at the micro level.... witness in that article two different perspectives: Replacement Theology and division v. Love and looking to the Husband... hmmmm....

Back