• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

I had "the conversation" with a pastor yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli Deo Gloria

Male
Hey everyone, last night my wife @Mbhs and I spent an hour explaining to a pastor friend of ours the position we've come to in affirming Polygyny. We had been looking for a trustworthy person who was distant enough from our circles as to not jeopardize our standing within our community by outing ourselves. I asked him if he would be willing to discuss a controversial topic that was very taboo in the church, taking the necessary time to cover all of the scriptural ground and arguments, and he gladly agreed. Before we began the conversation I typed up a short introduction to the topic, intending to set us up for agreement up until the point of revealing our affirmative stance on the issue. Here it is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

God has, progressively through His Word, at different times and places, been pleased to reveal to us Himself and His will throughout the course of History. We hold to God's Word alone, defined by the Reformers as Sola scriptura, as the sole rule of faith and practice for the Christian life. We also hold to the concept of Semper Reformanda, or always reforming, where we see God's word convict and confront our misconceptions of Him and our misdeeds against Him.

God, in His creative will and purpose, made men and women differently, giving them distinct purposes and roles in this life to fulfil His design for them. Both are called to being fruitful and multiplying, the work of subduing the Earth, and making disciples. In a marriage covenant, men are to lead, care for, protect, and provide, and women to are to come alongside their husbands and help fulfil his calling, including the vital and God given role of childbearing and raising children in the home. God blessed men and women in their tasks and gave them the creative mandate of filling and subduing the Earth through work and procreation. Thus He established and blessed the first marriage, consectracted as perfect and holy before God.

Sin and death have broken the world and affected these creative purposes, even to the foundations, and thus the breakdown of the marriage relationship has occurred. God in His mercy, throughout History has affirmed His love, care for, and purpose for men and women as exampled in His Law and through His Son Jesus, despite the effects of sin as exampled in the breakdown of the marriage relationship.

We all approach Scripture through our own presuppositions and biases, leaning into our cultures, traditions, and history as lenses which we use to judge our beliefs of what God's Word teaches. In times of uncertainty we tend to look to our leaders and teachers to confirm what we believe before opening ourselves up to being challenged in those beliefs. It is this bias that we believe to be long held in the Christian church, establishing a law that neither God nor Christ commanded, and in so doing we have set up commandments and doctrines of men that have become enforced dogmas and legalisms leading to, as RC Sproul calls it, the tyranny of the weaker brother. Simply put, where God does not make law, neither are Christians allowed to do so.

In an ever increasingly secular and progressive culture, the church is finding itself to be more and more under scrutiny from those who seek to coopt and corrupt it. We the church have begun to face the onslaught of godlessness which has one purpose - to neutralize the church's witness by rendering it unable to give good answers to hard questions that it is faced with. We as the church have had to weather the storm of homosexuality now for at least two decades, and many churches have capitulated on the biblical view in order to appease the predominant culture. This fact plays heavily into the subject at hand tonight, as we believe that very issue puts the church into a hypocritical double standard by having died on a hill it should not have. We as the church cannot afford to get this issue wrong.

We see from God's Word, from Genesis to Revelation, the constant display of God's Holiness. We can hardly read a page of Scripture without being confronted by just how Holy God is, and we never see God's holiness compromised by any of His words or actions. Indeed, God is greatly concerned about His holiness being displayed by Himself and His people, both in the nation of Israel in the Old Testament, and His church in the New. When God's people failed at representing His Holiness, they were called out and condemned in the scrictest of terms, without exception and sparing no explicitness in the acts of unrighteousness committed. God is Holy, and He expects nothing less from His people, though He is gracious and longsuffering with us when we constantly fail to meet it.

In our research on this issue we have taken in every argument for and against this subject by men who we in every other area have great respect for and view as a theological authority. What we have found in their arguments, in light of an honest and as minimally biased an assement of Scripture as we could make, is a woefully inconsistent, illogical, indefensible, and even inchoerent denouncement of thier position. Again, we must be willing to change our minds where God's Word confronts our beliefs, no matter how deeply held they are.

We therefore affirm as acceptable and normative for Christians to practice, according to Christian liberty and within the bounds of the conviction of the Holy Spirit, a woman's right to engage in a marriage covenant with a man already married to another woman in a separate and distinct marriage covenant, if it is found to be acceptable to all parties involved. We do not hold to this as being the ideal state of marriage, but rather as an acceptable practice to provide women a Godly means of fulfilling their creative mandate in a world where sin has limited their access to Godly husbands, as evidenced by the discrepancy in the ratio of men and women in society, and more imporantly, within the church, throughout history, as precedenced in the Mosaic Law and not changed in the teachings of Christ.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

He listened and nodded through most of it. After I finished he smiled and asked me to keep talking, which I did for most of the hour we talked. After I finished, he said that he had never really looked into the subject, and though he instinctually disagreed with my conclusions, he was going to spend some time talking to the elders of his church to understand his and my position better, according to scripture. We will be continuing soon, and I expect he will hear me out until we reach an impasse or one of us is forced to change their position. Though I cannot imagine at this point being convinced that I've come to the wrong conclusion, I am still willing to be challenged given the nature of the subject, the implications, and the fact that it will continue to hone my arguments.

I'll let you all know how things progress, but I figured this might be helpful or encouraging to some of you.

After I finished, he said that he had never really looked into the subject, and though he instinctually disagreed with my conclusions, he was going to spend some time talking to the elders of his church to understand his and my position better, according to scripture.
Be prepared for him to come back with a rather negative perspective, as by design those discussions will be very self-reinforcing. They all "know" what is true, they just have to find the justification for it in the Bible. Pray for those discussions to be positive, but be prepared for them to be negative.

We have a couple of articles here you could send on to him (as links, or copied) to possibly inform these discussions and try and help them to be more neutral.

An open letter to pastors.
This letter empathises with the difficult situation they find themselves in, and discusses briefly how to approach such issues from a Biblical perspective.

Marriage from the Bible Alone.
This is a short but reasonably comprehensive overview of marriage and sexuality as a whole, including where polygamy fits into this picture. It helps to show this isn't about pushing one issue, but rather about understanding marriage as a whole concept how God would wish us to see it. Key proof-text verses used to promote monogamy are deliberately used as part of that article to explain nuances of marriage, in order to defuse objections using those verses before they are even attempted. For instance, 1 Cor 7:2 is chosen to demonstrate acceptance of polygamy in the New Testament - because this very verse is one of the key proof-texts used incorrectly to prohibit polygamy. This is to help "level the playing field" and open up the scope for discussion, by showing that such passages are not unassailable pro-monogamy proof-texts but are actually worth discussing in more detail. Preparing the ground for a calm, rational discussion of scripture rather than a preaching of one position.

We see from God's Word, from Genesis to Revelation, the constant display of God's Holiness. We can hardly read a page of Scripture without being confronted by just how Holy God is, and we never see God's holiness compromised by any of His words or actions. Indeed, God is greatly concerned about His holiness being displayed by Himself and His people, both in the nation of Israel in the Old Testament, and His church in the New. When God's people failed at representing His Holiness, they were called out and condemned in the scrictest of terms, without exception and sparing no explicitness in the acts of unrighteousness committed. God is Holy, and He expects nothing less from His people, though He is gracious and longsuffering with us when we constantly fail to meet it.

If the pastor agrees with this paragraph, and he should, then he has to explain why God would describe Himself as a polygynist if polygyny is indeed wrong...

Love that set up.

If the pastor agrees with this paragraph, and he should, then he has to explain why God would describe Himself as a polygynist if polygyny is indeed wrong...

Love that set up.

Yes, when the conversation continues I would encourage you to be steadfast keeping the person of God at the center of the debate. My experience with this has been that people really don't have any answers for why God would describe himself as a polygamist if it is wrong. From that point people will change the subject repeatedly but if you peacefully bring it back to God you will at least bear more fruit for the kingdom than a debate that flails from subject to subject without any real sowing of solid truth.

My last two conversations with pastors/church leaders went this way and the other parties just stopped talking to me without being upset. I checked to make sure they weren't upset. They just didn't want to deal with it. I figure that they are still wrestling with God's polygamy today and I don't have to continue the conversation for that to happen. Also these people did not feel free to go into the community and trash our reputation. I also consider that a big win.

I will pray for this pastor, that God will grant him understanding, courage, integrity, and faithfulness.

I think your presentation was pretty solid.

The Holiness of God and the integrity of the Bible is at stake with this issue. When people suggest that God let polygamy slide in the Old Testament (though they think it basically adultery), they slander the Holiness of God. He is too pure to look upon evil.

Oh, now I'm worried about him as well as @Daniel DeLuca; we haven't heard from @Poly Deo Gloria since May 9 of last year, less than 2 weeks after his last post in this thread . . .

Pastors may be more deadly than a white cop in a black neighborhood . . .

I'm still around! There isn't much follow up to the story, we briefly talked once more over voice messages, and he never had much to say. It was somewhat anticlimactic and a bit frustrating as my wife and I had geared up expecting a lot of back and forth, but for whatever reason, he just decided to stop conversing, even though he had said he was up for a drawn out conversation over days/weeks to really flesh the topic out. The last thing I sent him we're the Dr. Luck YT videos, but to my knowledge he never watched them.

I've still not brought the subject up to the elders at the church we're members at, and given @Bartato's explanation of his talks with his, I suspect my conversation with them would go about the same way. We'll see, but I'm in no rush at this point.

he never had much to say. It was somewhat anticlimactic and a bit frustrating as my wife and I had geared up expecting a lot of back and forth, but for whatever reason, he just decided to stop conversing, even though he had said he was up for a drawn out conversation over days/weeks to really flesh the topic out.

He looked at it and realized he couldn't win the debate and chose to ignore the issue rather than pursue truth.

He looked at it and realized he couldn't win the debate and chose to ignore the issue rather than pursue truth.

I think you are right. He probably realized he couldn't refute the Biblical evidence. He also probably knew that accepting the truth would most likely end his career in the ministry, and invite severe social shame. Therefore, he decided to ignore the issue and hope it goes away. Unfortunately, that approach does not honor God, and making that decision badly compromised his ability to serve Christ and His Church.

Very sad, yet also a common response.

Our Father in Heaven, we pray that You would fill servants of Christ with such a profound fear and reverence, and an abiding hope in Christ, His saving Work, His glorious Kingdom, and His immenent return, that they would lose all fear, and hope in earthly things. Father, please compel them to preach Your Word faithfully and fearlessly, that Jesus would be honored above all, and that the people of Jesus would be built up. I ask this for all of us, in the Name of Your Son, our Lord and King.

But to his credit at least he didn't immediately give you the left boot of fellowship and try to break up your marriage.

But to his credit at least he didn't immediately give you the left boot of fellowship and try to break up your marriage.

I don't know what would have happened if I had engaged him in conversation alone, but since my wife was with me and on "my side" during the conversation I think it helped to disarm a possibly more strong reaction. He is not a pastor at the church I am a member of, and he doesn't know what church I attend, he is a distant friend who pastors a church in another state. The conversation wasn't all bad. He listened intently, he asked some good questions, admitted he hadn't given the subject a through examination, and then he came to the conclusion that though he thinks it's sinful, he would not view it as a sin that merits church discipline (take that for what you will). I often think of trying to start the conversation up with him again, and maybe sometime I will attempt it, but now isn't the time.

Amen

I don't know what would have happened if I had engaged him in conversation alone, but since my wife was with me and on "my side" during the conversation I think it helped to disarm a possibly more strong reaction. He is not a pastor at the church I am a member of, and he doesn't know what church I attend, he is a distant friend who pastors a church in another state. The conversation wasn't all bad. He listened intently, he asked some good questions, admitted he hadn't given the subject a through examination, and then he came to the conclusion that though he thinks it's sinful, he would not view it as a sin that merits church discipline (take that for what you will). I often think of trying to start the conversation up with him again, and maybe sometime I will attempt it, but now isn't the time.
Now THAT is a church I could belong to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back