• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

I had "the conversation" with a pastor yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they're only wrong about SOME of the vitally-important fundamental things SOME of the time, or because they don't think they're important, but won't punish you for knowing more than the 'pastor'?

:confused:
I won't get into what is considered "vitally-important fundamental things". The fundamental truths of the gospel are not negotiable.

I don't know what would have happened if I had engaged him in conversation alone, but since my wife was with me and on "my side" during the conversation I think it helped to disarm a possibly more strong reaction. He is not a pastor at the church I am a member of, and he doesn't know what church I attend, he is a distant friend who pastors a church in another state. The conversation wasn't all bad. He listened intently, he asked some good questions, admitted he hadn't given the subject a through examination, and then he came to the conclusion that though he thinks it's sinful, he would not view it as a sin that merits church discipline (take that for what you will). I often think of trying to start the conversation up with him again, and maybe sometime I will attempt it, but now isn't the time.
Wait, did we find decent pastor in polgynygy area? It that a miracle?

Usual reputation is opposite.

I don't know what would have happened if I had engaged him in conversation alone, but since my wife was with me and on "my side" during the conversation I think it helped to disarm a possibly more strong reaction. He is not a pastor at the church I am a member of, and he doesn't know what church I attend, he is a distant friend who pastors a church in another state. The conversation wasn't all bad. He listened intently, he asked some good questions, admitted he hadn't given the subject a through examination, and then he came to the conclusion that though he thinks it's sinful, he would not view it as a sin that merits church discipline (take that for what you will). I often think of trying to start the conversation up with him again, and maybe sometime I will attempt it, but now isn't the time.
I sometimes wonder, if we had an email address of different pastors who have been challenged on this issue, we could all engage in a sort of blitz campaign, so it would not be just one individual trying to persuade him. The only concern I would have though, is the fact that sometimes this can erupt, and I am sure that if someone were to blurt out some strong language in their emails, it would only make our position look very bad.

It will have to be a bottom up change, one that will ultimately do away with pastors anyway.
I take the approach that bottom up will embolden the honest pastors. As long as there are sheep, there will be pastors. There is a reason that we reach out to pastors in the first place.

I don’t reach out to pastors. I have never once heard of that working. As we defined the term in America it is not a Biblical office.
Well, technically speaking, "pastor" is another word for shepherd, and the shepherd's job is to protect the sheep from the wolves and other dangers. We do need to rethink the way our leadership in churches in managed, but some of us here are not so convinced that we need to do away with churches altogether.

The sheep/shepherd analogy only goes so far, then it fails to provide a model.
Sheep are the babies that can only handle milk. Where does meat-eater status kick in?

Reality is that we are to grow from milk drinkers to meat eaters.
From sheep to helping sheep find sustenance, which is what shepherds do.

The present system of how churches are organized is a vestige of the catholic system that keeps all sheep in the milk drinking stage.

...but some of us here are not so convinced that we need to do away with churches altogether.
Some of us might also note that we're not inclined to "do away with," any of 'em, just come out of, and be separate from the Whore, and other idolatrous "wolves in sheep's clothing.'

The present system of how churches are organized is a vestige of the catholic system that keeps all sheep in the milk drinking stage.
Correct, Steve, but perhaps even too kind for much of the modern Whore Church. They don't even feed 'milk' at this point; closer to the stuff Scripture tells us to avoid, and not even 'the water of the Word,' in too many cases.

and not even 'the water of the Word,' in too many cases.
Yeah, it’s more like soda pop, sweet going down, provides a little boost, but the end thereof is death.

This is only true for churches that do not properly equip. Having been a part of churches like this, I get the frustration, but I have also been a part of churches that do equip. Our #1 focus must always be to be witnesses for Christ and go into all the world and preach the gospel and make disciples. The churches that do equip, can be excellent vehicles for this purpose. Having that in mind, we also must guard against errors that creep in or have crept in, and that is where we find ourselves. That is the whole reason why so many of us have not given up on the idea of reaching pastors/church leaders.

That is the whole reason why so many of us have not given up on the idea of reaching pastors/church leaders.
Fine. That goes for other 'sinners' and oath-breaking liars as well, presumably.

But, as Yahushua Himself pointed out in Matthew 10:11-14, there comes a time to "shake off the dust of your feet," as a witness against them, and move on.

PS> And note that He was talking not only about a 'house,' but a whole city.

Fine. That goes for other 'sinners' and oath-breaking liars as well, presumably.

But, as Yahushua Himself pointed out in Matthew 10:11-14, there comes a time to "shake off the dust of your feet," as a witness against them, and move on.

PS> And note that He was talking not only about a 'house,' but a whole city.
He did, but it was implied that they would go to another town.

Our #1 focus must always be to be witnesses for Christ and go into all the world and preach the gospel and make disciples.
Really? So the average congregant is graduating to planting churches?
That’s awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back