• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat I kissed Joshua Harris good-bye

The tragedy of Joshua Harris and renouncing his faith is that there is not anything else to turn to. There is only Jesus. You have given up the only thing for nothing. There isn't anything else.

It advocated "courtship" over "dating". It recommended family activities to get to know each other over spending a lot of time alone one on one.

Hey thanks for answering! Was he one of those advocating no kissing or holding hands?

This cover is cringey in retrospect...

I_Kissed_Dating_Goodbye.jpg

Well I realize that Harris may have indeed fallen away, and may stay away. But I personally am praying he journeys his way back. I watched a TEDX talk he gave, and I have a gut feeling that he is really just testing and searching, questioning everything he assumed he knew. That's not a bad thing. The main point I gathered was that he was embarrassed that he thought he was wise enough to write a book at the age of 20 that would have such a profound influence on so many people. We shall see...

Now this article is interesting...

https://reformationcharlotte.org/20...ed-his-faith-is-marching-in-gay-pride-parade/

Josh Harris poses with his wife to announce a divorce. Several days later, he announces on Instagram that he has renounced his faith with a “heartfelt” apology to the LGBTQ community. Now, he’s seen marching in a gay pride parade wearing rainbow gear and eating rainbow food. Is there another announcement he will be making soon?

But not just because he's embracing the degeneracy wholeheartedly...

Harris, the former pastor of Covenant Life Church in Maryland — the founding church of Sovereign Grace Ministries

So he was at the epicenter of a church which was embroiled in an RCC like scandal for covering up child predators.

Those are the sorts of ways the devil co-opts the church, the sorts of men he uses to do it. I smell sulfur.

1 John 2:18-19 KJV
[18] Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. [19] They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out , that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Well I realize that Harris may have indeed fallen away, and may stay away. But I personally am praying he journeys his way back. I watched a TEDX talk he gave, and I have a gut feeling that he is really just testing and searching, questioning everything he assumed he knew. That's not a bad thing. The main point I gathered was that he was embarrassed that he thought he was wise enough to write a book at the age of 20 that would have such a profound influence on so many people. We shall see...

You are 100% correct. We need to keep praying for him.

What I said, is that you have the PROSPECT of a better future. With monogamy, there is none whatsoever. Having said that, that prospect of polygamy does send a message to the first wife.

Monogamist have the prospect of a better future, too. They have to learn that the secret to marriage is not to find the "perfect" wife as if there was someone like this, but rather that they have to build the relationship in the way that Christ builds up the church.

Polygamy is like the parable of the talents. You need to prove that you can manage what you have before you can be blessed with more.

When you are blessed with something before you are ready for it, we call that a curse. Think about it. Pretty much any blessing can be a curse if you are not ready for it.

If you think of your marriage as "being stuck" that is a pretty good sign that you are not ready for an additional blessing. Figure out how to get it unstuck. Figure out how you can grow to love each other. Take responsibility for it and make it right.

Any potential with any sense will ask your wife how your first marriage is going. You want to get a good review from her.

If the "polygamy message" that you are sending your wife is a threat it will backfire on you. That is not what you want. The message you want to send to your wife is that you love God and are obedient to him. When she sees this and she knows it is true then she will follow your lead.

Monogamist have the prospect of a better future, too. They have to learn that the secret to marriage is not to find the "perfect" wife as if there was someone like this, but rather that they have to build the relationship in the way that Christ builds up the church.

Polygamy is like the parable of the talents. You need to prove that you can manage what you have before you can be blessed with more.

When you are blessed with something before you are ready for it, we call that a curse. Think about it. Pretty much any blessing can be a curse if you are not ready for it.

If you think of your marriage as "being stuck" that is a pretty good sign that you are not ready for an additional blessing. Figure out how to get it unstuck. Figure out how you can grow to love each other. Take responsibility for it and make it right.

Any potential with any sense will ask your wife how your first marriage is going. You want to get a good review from her.

If the "polygamy message" that you are sending your wife is a threat it will backfire on you. That is not what you want. The message you want to send to your wife is that you love God and are obedient to him. When she sees this and she knows it is true then she will follow your lead.
You sound like you speak from your own personal experience. That is anecdotal. I have talked to enough men who are miserable in their marriages, and were contemplating divorce. The Proverbs tells us that the wise woman builds her home, while the foolish woman tears it down with her own hands. The church has been telling men that it is their responsibility to make their wives happy, and that has not been working out too well. Ultimately, it puts the wife in the position of authority over her husband. The man's responsibility is to love by protecting and providing for his wife, and to lead her, not to make her happy.

The man's responsibility is to love by protecting and providing for his wife, and to lead her, not to make her happy.
I have no issue with protecting, providing and leading. But happy? Happiness needs to take place as well. As men, we also want and need happiness. It’s part f our nature. There is an old saying, “If Momma ain’t happy....”

Although not biblically directed to make happy, why not strive to put that in the equation of a marriage? The Bible doesn’t tell me to drive a car, but I do. The Bible tells me to obey he laws. But, I can still go above and beyond the biblical directives. I don’t think God minds.

You sound like you speak from your own personal experience. That is anecdotal. I have talked to enough men who are miserable in their marriages, and were contemplating divorce. The Proverbs tells us that the wise woman builds her home, while the foolish woman tears it down with her own hands. The church has been telling men that it is their responsibility to make their wives happy, and that has not been working out too well. Ultimately, it puts the wife in the position of authority over her husband. The man's responsibility is to love by protecting and providing for his wife, and to lead her, not to make her happy.
Your evidence is anecdotal too o_O

I have no issue with protecting, providing and leading. But happy? Happiness needs to take place as well. As men, we also want and need happiness. It’s part f our nature. There is an old saying, “If Momma ain’t happy....”

Although not biblically directed to make happy, why not strive to put that in the equation of a marriage? The Bible doesn’t tell me to drive a car, but I do. The Bible tells me to obey he laws. But, I can still go above and beyond the biblical directives. I don’t think God minds.
You can’t make someone be happy. They have to decide to be happy. Trying to accomplish the impossible is likely as not to make the problem worse.

If I may be so bold; IT IS NOT A MAN’S RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE A WOMAN HAPPY. She is either happy because she chooses to be or isn’t.
I grew up in this environment of “gotta keep the wife happy” mentality. It’s degrading to a degree. It creates a power struggle. “I’m not happy, he must not love me”....
It’s about being one, leading, teaching, loving, and stewarding. Not making a person happy. There’s an ungodly fear in that dance and the tune can change on a whim.
Sure, doing things to contribute to ones happiness is a blessing to both parties.
This is from personal experience and my own opinion;
A woman that tears down those pillars is one who from the beginning had her own agenda, hasn’t been taught unity, loyalty, or selfless love. She’s been taught to destroy or threaten destruction to get what she wants (to get what will make her happy). She learned this either from her life before marriage or from her husband.

No. I did not say anything about making your wife happy. If you feel stuck it is because you are not happy, not your wife. Take responsibility for your own happiness and do not put it on the wife. She can't make you happy either. You have to do that yourself.

Godliness with contentment is great gain. - 1 Timothy 5:6

Be content with what God has blessed you with.

Your evidence is anecdotal too o_O
That's almost like a tu quoque fallacy. I am using an Anecdote to prove that in SOME cases, it is not really the husbands fault that there are marital problems, and I backed it up with Scripture., whereas Chris applied his anecdote in a more broad general, "this works for everyone" sense.

Back