• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Husband’s Call to Love Is A Call to Rule

Now we’re getting somewhere!

Remember a bunch of posts ago when I said I thought we might converge yet? I haven’t given up hope....

Unfortunately my time is spoken for tonight, but if I can’t give you a fair response tonight I’ll definitely get back to you tomorrow morning.

Not saying I’m going to agree with everything you said, ;) but I see light at the end of the tunnel. I’ll be back as soon as I can.

OK so I am going to try to state my take on the issue as clearly as I can. The points I am about to lay out are a major part of what saved my marriage. I do actually apply these things in my home. And yes I want feedback please whether you agree or disagree. Point out where you think I'm wrong. I want to learn. I want to become a better husband.
Lovelovelovelovelove this. I'll do my best to give it a fair response.

1. The title of the article is misleading and would be better titled "A husbands call to love includes a call to rule"
I think you're being charitable to the author (in a good way), but certainly the way you've framed it is at least arguable, while the author's stated equivalence is a blatant lie. Whether the 'call to love' includes a 'call to rule' is a more nuanced discussion (that we're about to have).

2. The amended title is pretty much what my opinion is while the exact reasons for it may be a little different from the article.
I'm glad to hear your reasoning is different, and I look forward to engaging more with your reasoning and less with the article's author. At this point we can forget the author and the article (yea!) and just be Pacman and andrew (sounds like a '70s TV show...).

3. I do believe that Ephesians 5 teaches that a husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the Church which includes but is not limited to the following:
  • Give yourself for her. Even to the point of death if needed
  • Sanctify her (make her holy, purify her) with the washing of the word of God (teaching her the scripture) for the purpose of presenting her to both himself and God without spot or wrinkle
  • Love her as if she were your own body
  • Nourish her (bring to maturity, nurture, bring up)
  • Cherish her (tender love, foster)
Since that's essentially a recap of what Eph 5 actually says, I would simply say "which includes the following:", since that's how Paul explains himself (in other words, I would leave out "but is not limited to"). If you want to bring in other verses to try to help Paul explain what he meant, we can look at those in turn, but I'm certainly in 95% agreement that that's what Eph 5 teaches.

The quibble (and now we're in "the Samuel zone", agreeing on the main points, differing around the edges) is over exactly what is being said in the "so that" passages. I've mentioned this before, but will go over it again here as part of the "reset" of this conversation.

What Paul said: "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."

The words I highlighted are a Greek conjunction that is adequately translated "that" in the 1600s, but could more clearly be translated "so that", or even "in order that". As Strong's puts it, that conjunction denotes "the purpose or the result". (I know, @IshChayil, go ahead and laugh, but Strong's is just such a common point of reference....) "A that B" means "B is the purpose or result of A".

So in the AV, at least, we have this wording: "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it" semi-colon "that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word" comma "that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing" semi-colon "but that it should be holy and without blemish" period, or let's look at it visually:

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing;
but that it should be holy and without blemish."

It's not clear whether all those thats stack in series or in parallel. Are they all the "purpose or result" of Christ's loving and giving of Himself? Or is "holy and without blemish" the result of "presenting a glorious church" which is the result of "sanctifying and cleansing", which is the sole proximate result of "loved and gave"? I don't think that matters for our purposes, more of a speculation, but the one clear thing is that they're all (somehow) the "purpose or result" of Christ's loving and giving.

My comment earlier in this thread was that all the clauses prefaced by "that" are grammatically and linguistically not equivalent with "loving and giving", but the "purpose or result" of "loving and giving". In other words, they don't properly define the "call to love", they give us our motivation, and they give us a goal. Or at least they certainly give us Christ's motivation and goal.

My point here is something else. Have you ever given someone a bath? Even the metaphor of washing is a delicate, nurturing, caring act. The image of Jesus's washing the feet of the disciples comes to mind. He gave us a very specific example and called us to follow Him in it. (Side thought: If you've ever cleaned someone's wounds, you know it's a very nurturing and caring and delicate act. Something to keep in mind as we're washing our wives....)

I can't tell you how many times I've heard or seen someone turning this specific admonition to "wash" into an excuse to boss wives around based on the idea that through teaching we have to straighten out our women, but to me that suggests a reading comprehension problem.

We know that the reason Christ gave Himself for the church was "so that" He could ^^^ (see above). We want to be good disciples and "love as He loved", so we try to figure out what that means for us—what's our "so that"? I have some qualms around morphing the word rhema into "teach her the bible", but that's nothing compared to the qualms I have around morphing "washing her with water and the word" into "being her teacher and that means being her ruler PERIOD". (Okay, sorry/notsorry about that slap at that author. Please indulge me.)

Can we agree that everything on your list above, including the washing, is essentially a nurturing and caring activity? You and I may have some slight differences re how we work out the "so thats" in our homes—that is, in what we actually do that falls under the category of "washing our wives so that we can present them to Christ"—but overall, I'd agree with your exposition of Eph 5 there in its entirety. Every bit of it describes a loving, caring, thoughtful, attentive husband, and stands as basically an amplified version of what Paul said in the first place.

4. I believe all of those things listed above are involved in ruling her as well. (yes ruling has a much more harsh tone to it and includes dominion such as is typical of a king) The fact that she is commanded in verse 33 to reverence him is at least an indication of this. That word reverence is an interesting word study on its own...
And we were having so much fun.... ;)

JK. We're still tracking together.

The word "reverence" is an interesting word study on its own, but it's an instruction to the wives, not the husbands; let's focus for now on what husbands are told to do. And for now let's table whether that Eph 5 stuff is ruler stuff, because you're going to throw away that point in the next paragraph. Let's talk about ruling and leadership and headship (per your questions below) in the next section.

I am aware that Ephesians 5 does not specifically state that a husband is to rule his wife. That I think is the central debate here. Is a husband called to rule his wife? If not what level of leadership and headship does he have? How should we be practically applying that to our marriages?
THANK YOU for the concession that Eph 5 does not specifically state that a husband is to rule his wife. Now we can turn our attention to your excellent questions:

1. Is a husband called to rule his wife?

You tell me. :cool: Where in the bible does it say "husbands, rule your wives?". No inferences, no metaphors, just where is the bald statement. Because if we're going to make it commandment, we should probably see it as a commandment somewhere in scripture, right? Where is the verse that makes this assertion, straight up, in plain imperative language?

[This is not to prejudice the outcome of this exercise (I am asking sincere questions, not rhetorical ones), but I have to tell you that this sounds eerily similar to the "where in the bible does it say I can't have more than one wife?" conversation. Plenty of inferences, and "this must mean that" reasoning, but no direct instruction. Let's see where the "husbands, rule your wives" convo ends up....]

I did a quick mental check of the ol' memory banks, and an even quicker cursory word search of the bible and came up blank. I don't think there's any verse that specifically says, "husbands, rule your wives" or anything similar (a direct instruction, or "call", to husbands to "rule" their wives). It's not my case to make, though, so I'm open to your proving me wrong. Is there any such verse?

I think a fair answer to your fair question is, "No, a husband is not 'called to rule' his wife—not in Eph 5, and not anywhere else. Some people infer from various passages that there is some kind of duty of a husband to rule over his wife, but there is no explicit 'call to rule' (for husbands to rule wives) anywhere in the bible."

2. If not what level of leadership and headship does he have?

This is where the real conversation should be happening, as soon as we can get past question one. [Note to other mods: I think the direction here will be to take up questions 2 and 3 in a way that might lead to another thread or even two other threads, but let's leave all of this here for right now, until Pacman and I are agreed on the issues.] The best way to approach the bible for information would be to simply ask "what does it actually say about the topic I'm actually interested in?" When we're collecting verses that actually treat of a husband's headship or leadership, I'll betcha Eph 5:25-33a doesn't even make the list, but again, let's wait and see, once we get past question one.

3. How should we be practically applying that to our marriages?

Yahtzee!! This is the question we need to be able to answer, but we have to go through question two to get here, so for now I'd consider this question on hold until we can get through two.

Pacman, I just want to say that though you and I have gotten crosswise before (and probably will again...;)), I consider you an honest guy with good questions, and see our dustups more as just the hazard of online discussion forums and written communication. In person I'd like to think we could get to this part of the conversation quicker, and I hope at some point we cross paths at a retreat.

Very interesting thread, ya'll. Evidence that being at odds isn't always unproductive.

I'm just going to add in my boring trope about how, in Ephesians, Paul is not suggesting that women should blindly submit to just any old man. He goes on to describe the man's responsibility in this dance. Women are encouraged to submit, but men are encouraged to become loving leaders, which are the kind of men women would want to submit to.

I am currently on a personal quest to reverse the fact that I have not been the strong male leader in my family that I should have been all along. It's very clear to me that I'm 100% responsible for the degree to which my wife isn't submissive and 100% responsible for the degree to which my family is a family of interpersonal chaos. I would be very hesitant to describe what I know is necessary on my part from here on out as "ruling." One can only "rule" when one has political power over one's subjects. Leadership/headship requires demonstration that one's example and suggestions are worthy of being replicated or actualized.

My intention is not to disrupt the flow between @Pacman and @andrew, or between anyone else in this discussion but to just add a thought.

“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Mark 12:31

John 21:17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

We are not called to rule over our brothers but love them, as ourselves. The idea of husbands loving their wives is just a small step above this thought that is throughout the word of God. Feeding God's sheep, nurturing, caring for others can be difficult at times but it is still a requirement to please God. It was never meant to rule over them, but love them in a manner that brings hope to all.

The verses about the Son of God ENCOURAGING Peter in this matter is an example of how Christ loved the church in a manner based more on love than rule.

But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Sorry I haven't responded yet. I ended up working extremely late yesterday and I am back at work now. I plan to get back to it this evening.

Pacman, I just want to say that though you and I have gotten crosswise before (and probably will again...;)), I consider you an honest guy with good questions, and see our dustups more as just the hazard of online discussion forums and written communication. In person I'd like to think we could get to this part of the conversation quicker, and I hope at some point we cross paths at a retreat.

I agree and I appreciate the responses. Iron sharpens iron and all that... It is difficult to convey "tone of voice" and such in a forum such as this. So it's good if we all give each other the benefit of the doubt and not jump to being offended by a comment...

(in other words, I would leave out "but is not limited to"). If you want to bring in other verses to try to help Paul explain what he meant, we can look at those in turn
1. Is a husband called to rule his wife?

You tell me. :cool: Where in the bible does it Say "husbands, rule your wives?". No inferences, no metaphors, just where is the bald statement.

1 Timothy 3:4-5 comes to mind (I believe wife is part of his household) as well as Genesis 3:16.
But to answer the question directly no I cannot think of any clear and specific statement that says "husband rule your wife" I have not done an exhaustive search for it.

Because if we're going to make it commandment, we should probably see it as a commandment somewhere in scripture, right? Where is the verse that makes this assertion, straight up, in plain imperative language?

This is the part I want to explore. I'm not completely convinced that we need a clear and specific statement. I don't say this lightly because one of my biggest peaves is the fact that so many churches have created man made standards and then preached them as if they were scriptural commands instead of preferences. "monogamy only" comes to mind... There are tons of others... So if I am doing that please call me on it because I do not want to be guilty of it...

OK so this brings me back to something I started to point out earlier in the thread.(before we jumped back into arguing over the authors intentions and apparent lazyness or lies or whatever other adjectives you would insert....)

I think the fact that Adam's sin is what plunged the human race into a sin nature (1 Corinthians 15:22) is clear evidence that patriarchy existed before the curse. Remember that Eve sinned first not Adam. If Adam had not been the one "in charge" then Eve's sin would have brought the curse not Adam's. So while Genesis 3:16 clearly indicates something changed with regard to a husbands ruling (my hypothesis is this change is because of the fact that he now has to deal with her sin nature) I don't believe that is where it started...
Nor do I believe that ruling her is "being the curse of God in her life." (yes a new thread might be good)

My statement was not an exhaustive study on pre and post curse patriarchy. I am not attempting to finagle anything. I believe there are several key statements throughout the Genesis account of creation, as well as within the curse to both Adam and Eve to indicate that Adam was in charge. I stand by my statement that something changed. And yes the verse seems to indicate that ruling began with the curse. Again remember that before the curse sin was not an issue, so what exactly did Adam's headship look like before the curse? Was it simply leadership without authority? If sin nature wasn't present then leadership would not need authority. Because the sin nature would not be tempting her to reject his leadership. And are we really being a curse to our women when we rule them? Or are we actually fulfilling our role in their lives and providing structure that she needs? Exactly what changed and to what degree is what I am hoping we can all discuss...

Genesis 1:26-27
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Part of why I think we should study patriarchy before the curse is because I believe it is part of how we should be imaging God.

My opinion is that God established marriage with one of the purposes being man imaging God. (Man represents God and woman represents God’s people) we see this example later on in the book of Ezekiel.

We also see the word married found in several places throughout the old testament actually means:
Brown-Driver-Briggs' Definition
to marry, rule over, possess, own
(Qal)
to marry, be lord (husband) over
to rule over
(Niphal) to be married

I don't think anyone here would argue that God's love for his people doesn't include ruling his people.

I am sure there are many other examples we could find. But the point I am trying to make is that I believe for us as husbands to more fully be imaging God we must rule our wives.

As @rockfox pointed out earlier in the thread that doesn't exclude all the other wonderful parts of love. And the two are virtually inseparable when it is done right.

One can only "rule" when one has political power over one's subjects.

I don't really agree here. I think part of the difference between rule and lead is that leadership does not necessarily imply that one has authority over the follower. For example many celebrities would fall into this category. Taylor Swift recently lead her fans to register to vote Democrat. But she has no authority to compel them to do so.

Ruling is not possible without the authority to compel obedience (if necessary) from the follower. I think this is what changed with the curse and is part of what's described in Gen. 3:16 as I mentioned earlier.

We are not called to rule over our brothers but love them, as ourselves. The idea of husbands loving their wives is just a small step above this thought that is throughout the word of God.

I disagree here I think husbands loving wives is a gigantic leap above loving our brothers. We are never told to give ourselves up to the point of death for our brothers...

I have said enough for now. Until we hash these thoughts out I do not think we can really move forward with the other questions.

Last edited:
My comment earlier in this thread was that all the clauses prefaced by "that" are grammatically and linguistically not equivalent with "loving and giving", but the "purpose or result" of "loving and giving". In other words, they don't properly define the "call to love", they give us our motivation, and they give us a goal. Or at least they certainly give us Christ's motivation and goal.

What is the point of this hair splitting? A husband is called to wash her in the word either way.

"No, a husband is not 'called to rule' his wife—not in Eph 5, and not anywhere else.

The husband is the head of the wife. Rule and authority is implicit in that position. All the more so in that he is the figure of Christ. To say a husband has no authority to rule is as absurd as saying a general has no command, a king no sovereignty, or God no power. In other words: it is self evident. The creation story backs this up as well. Furthermore you can look at 1 Tim 3:4 for evidence that the Bible recognizes not just the right of a husband to rule, but the importance of it. So the Bible isn't silent. Why it doesn't come out and make an "assertion, straight up, in plain imperative language" I will leave to you to figure out; it doesn't make it any less true.

Now this idea that floats around in church circles, that the commands for wives to submit and husbands to love mean the husband has no authority to rule, is nothing more sophistry. The ancients would find the idea absurd; only under feminism is such an idea acceptable. There are many motivations behind it but the end result is to make husbands passive in the face of rebellious wives.

Now there is good discussion to be had on the nature of his headship and how he ought to rule in light of agape love; but make no mistake, the husband who does not rule is not acting as a husband.

We also see the word married found in several places throughout the old testament actually means:
Brown-Driver-Briggs' Definition
to marry, rule over, possess, own
(Qal)
to marry, be lord (husband) over
to rule over
(Niphal) to be married

And this pretty much ends it for me. Being a "husband" doesn't exist in scripture. Mastering or being the lord over a woman does. We're to master knowledgeably and we're to be loving lords but the very title of the position is lord and master. So the question is how do we be good lords and masters because we've got the title.

The origin of husband as given in the dictionary app in macOS:

late Old English (in the senses ‘male head of a household’ and ‘manager, steward’), from Old Norse húsbóndi ‘master of a house’, from hús ‘house’ + bóndi ‘occupier and tiller of the soil’. The original sense of the verb was ‘till, cultivate’.​

A related term: animal husbandry. From Encycylopædia Britannica:

Controlled cultivation, management, and production of domestic animals, including improvement of the qualities considered desirable by humans by means of breeding. Animals are bred and raised for utility (e.g., food, fur), sport, pleasure, and research. See also beekeeping, dairy farming.​

Lord and master seem very evident in those meanings of husband. The meaning seems to be lost on us, however, if we take the word to signify merely "a married man considered in relation to his spouse" (again from the macOS dictionary app).

Last edited:
The origin of husband as given in the dictionary app in macOS:

late Old English (in the senses ‘male head of a household’ and ‘manager, steward’), from Old Norse húsbóndi ‘master of a house’, from hús ‘house’ + bóndi ‘occupier and tiller of the soil’. The original sense of the verb was ‘till, cultivate’.​

A related term: animal husbandry. From Encycylopædia Brittanica:

Controlled cultivation, management, and production of domestic animals, including improvement of the qualities considered desirable by humans by means of breeding. Animals are bred and raised for utility (e.g., food, fur), sport, pleasure, and research. See also beekeeping, dairy farming.​

Lord and master seem very evident in those meanings of husband. The meaning seems to be lost on us, however, if we take the word to signify merely "a married man considered in relation to his spouse" (again from the macOS dictionary app).

As a traditional keeper of livestock, 'husband' has deep meaning to me. It conveys the self sacrifice, the authority, and the rule which the role entails. But for most people it doesn't. To modern ears, 'lord and master' conveys the sense of the role better.

And this pretty much ends it for me. Being a "husband" doesn't exist in scripture. Mastering or being the lord over a woman does. We're to master knowledgeably and we're to be loving lords but the very title of the position is lord and master. So the question is how do we be good lords and masters because we've got the title.

Just a thought. (my opinion and just thinking out loud) Perhaps we don't find it specifically stated in scripture because it is so self evident...Genesis 3:16 makes a simple statement that it will be happening. Perhaps Paul didn't include it in Ephesians 5 for the same reason. Perhaps he knew it was natural for a man to rule her and wanted to major on the love part because that is not as natural for us. We would be out of balance towards the ruling without those instructions...

I'm not sure if this will add or take away from the conversation.

Ezer Kenegdo also means mirrored strength. What is man's strength we were created in G-ds image, sinless. We have fallen but G-d is Still the worlds Ezer Kenegdo, sinless and through Yeshuas reflection strengthens the faithful. Are we not told to Emulate Him? Our wives our our mirrored strength. It's the strength of G-d in us that reflects back at us. If we are lacking in G-ds strength then as our mirrored strength she will as well and there will be little to none of G-ds strength reflected when we need it. I beleive this speaks directly to leadership. I will also like to point out Yeshua never forced anyone to follow Him despite His right as creator to do so. He taught, and those with a heart for G-d followed. He called to disciples and they chose to follow because they could not deny Him. Not in the sense of He denied them their free will to be able to choose. In the sense that they knew He was righteous and they wanted that for themselves.

My grandfather raised cattle. I tended them. He had 111 acres divided into 4 pastuers. The cattle could be on the other side of a pastuer but when I called out they would make their way to me. This isn't because I took a rod to them. Is not because I screamed at them. It's because they knew I was the one who cared for them. When I walked amongst them they didn't scatter or stomp at me they knew me. When a field was eaten down, I would open the gates to move them from one Pasteur to another they followed me be caused they trusted me and knew I was leading them to a better place. On my land I raised goats they acted the same. There were times I would go to help the neighbors, in particular the ones who lived in Houston and were only there a few times a year. The cattle roamed 300 acres doing as they pleased. They had diffrent people come in at different times to tend their cattle. Most were ignorant fools who thought they knew what they were doing. When the neighbors showed up the cattle didn't know who they were. As always, They roamed as they pleased. The only way the neighbors could get them to come close to them was to throw out pelets. The cattle would shove and snort and hook eachother to get to the pelets. A couple of times the neighbors tried to get out their truck and walk amongst the cattle the cattle stomped and either rushed away or tried to bump or hook them. This was because there was no relation ship, no leadership. The funny part is these neighbors thought they were better ranchers than the rest of the neighbors, including my grandfather, because they owned more land and cattle yet their cattle didn't know them.

Last edited:
I disagree here I think husbands loving wives is a gigantic leap above loving our brothers. We are never told to give ourselves up to the point of death for our brothers...

Just a quick thought in regards to this reference, I am sure glad that the Son of God chose to consider me to be a brother. And from what I have been taught, He does everything as an example for me.

But that's just me.

Hebrews 2:11 Both the one who makes people holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters.

I do realize this thought might be a little broader than the wife rule discussion here so please feel free to disregard this part.

However, I would like to say that the comment about Taylor Swift and the influence she has over her fans is of pure choice. Her fans choose to let her lead them. No different than a wife choosing to let the husband lead them. If there is a free will, it is in that choice.

The submission part of a wife to her husband is free will. If a wife wanted to leave could you rule her to stay?

Even God allows us to choose Hell if we so desire.

However, I would like to say that the comment about Taylor Swift and the influence she has over her fans is of pure choice. Her fans choose to let her lead them. No different than a wife choosing to let the husband lead them. If there is a free will, it is in that choice.

The submission part of a wife to her husband is free will. If a wife wanted to leave could you rule her to stay?

Even God allows us to choose Hell if we so desire.

I completely agree. We all have free will in every situation. But the results of the choices we make are very different depending on the situation. The point about Taylor Swift is exactly what you said. She has leadership because her fans choose to follow. However a husband has the rule over his wife because that was delegated by God himself. If Taylor Swifts fans choose to ignore her leadership there are zero negatives for the fans. If a wife chooses to ignore her husband she is in direct violation of the clear commands of scripture and is living in sin...
The consequences for us exercising our free will and rejecting salvation is hell. God is attempting to compel us through the loving sacrifice of Jesus as well as the imenent consequences of eternal damnation to come to Jesus in repentance and faith. This is a great example of both loving and ruling. To the degree that we can separate the two. Again I believe the ruling is part of the loving.

Last edited:
If a wife chooses to ignore her husband she is in direct violation of the clear commands of scripture and is living in sin...

So the question is, what recourse does a husband have if a wife excersises her free will and is in direct violation of scripture?

I submit the only recourse is love not rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure this statement is completely acurate.
We are never told to give ourselves up to the point of death for our brothers...

John 15:9-15

9 “Just as the Father has loved Me, I also have loved you. Abide in My love!

10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and your joy may be full.

12 “This is My commandment, that you love one another just as I have loved you.

13 No one has greater love than this: that he lay down his life for his friends.

14 You are My friends if you do what I command you.

15 “I am no longer calling you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing. Now I have called you friends, because everything I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

This last part I find interesting since @ZecAustin brought up the whole there's no husband only Lords and Masters subject. If we are to have a relationship based on love with our wives, we are to teach them and guide them with everything we learned from G-d, and we are told to lay down our lives for them. We are being told to have a friendship with them. If that is the case they are servants no more. This is not a excuses for women to ignore what scripture is clear about, but it does seperate out the right to rule.

Im not sure this statement is completely acurate.
Your right. I used a bad example. But I do still believe that our love for our wives is to be surpassed only by our love for God and is supposed to be far above the love we have for our brothers...

@Pacman, I think that's from the world of monogamy. The supposition that one is to find everything in that one special person.

Love her, provide for her, and so on, yes. Love her more than others or you're doing it wrong — that's a big, fat no.

Back