• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What happens to additional wives if she and her husband divorce?

If a wife decides to leave, she should leave with nothing that came from the marriage. It’s her choice to abandon the marriage/ husband, why should she get any of the fruits of the marriage. Especially the children.
I think if women actually had to weigh the costs of leaving everything (including children) they would be more apt to work it out and stay.

I have an issue with setting up a contingency plan for “when the marriage fails”- it sets it up for failure before it begins. If you have an out, the first hard thing you face, you are more likely to use it instead of digging deeper into the relationship to heal the problems.

I don’t have an issue with discussions, such as, or something happens to husband and he dies, how will things be set up to help provide for the wife/wives left in that unfortunate situation.

It comes down to mindset, I suppose.
I love this attitude! I married mine for life. She doesn’t get the option to divorce me. I will never accept it or bow to it. I will never forsake or leave her. She’s stuck with me until I kick the bucket.

I have an issue with setting up a contingency plan for “when the marriage fails”- it sets it up for failure before it begins. If you have an out, the first hard thing you face, you are more likely to use it instead of digging deeper into the relationship to heal the problems.

I definitely agree. Divorce is not an option in our family. I was just wondering how people on here would deal with that scenario who might be ok with it being an option.

Scripturally speaking yes. They belong to him. So from a biblical perspective she should go out with nothing, return to her father’s house and remain celibate until she dies or reconciles to her husband.

But we all know that’s not what ever happens in this Godless land.
Nick is correct on both accounts. Biblically, the children should normally stay with their father.

The crooked laws of man, and the actions of unjust judges will do otherwise.

If a woman leaves her husband for unjust reasons (and the vast majority of times it is unjust), I assume that she is also essentially rejecting the God of the Bible, and cleaving to the false god of the State.

I did throw in some conditions there. I have a female Christian friend who recently got divorced, and I think the blame largely falls on her husband, who also seems to have rejected the Faith.

He abandoned her for another woman. While married (5 years), he pretty much didn't work, and relied almost entirely on her income for provision. He also cleaned her out in the divorce settlement since she had a good income and he had almost none. Also,. there were no kids involved.

Since he left her the situation is different than that where the wife choses to leave.

I think it is lawful for her to remarry.
I absolutely would not consider marrying her myself, but believe she has that option.

My question is if the wife is the one who decides to leave.. Does she get to take the children she bore to her husband with her? We can see that having a man being a covering over his children is very important. I know it's very common in America for the mom to take the children in a split but what's the better option in that scenario? How would the families on here deal with this? Aren't children also the man's possessions just like his wives are?
I can't seem to find it right now but I also recall studying that children belong to their father. I assume this means in the case of "divorce" the father takes them- Biblically speaking at least.

However these days with as much as men and women have to work outside of the household, I doubt that's always possible. If a man doesn't have another wife then who will watch his children while he works and vice-versa. Considering that- my personal opinion would be to do whatever is best and stable for the children because everyone's situation is different.

I guess this is more reason to stay with your husband forever lol. Sadly things do happen.

I like your question though. Curious to see the responses.

Scripturally speaking yes. They belong to him. So from a biblical perspective she should go out with nothing, return to her father’s house and remain celibate until she dies or reconciles to her husband.

But we all know that’s not what ever happens in this Godless land.
Can you show me where it says this? I remember seeing it as well but can't find it.

Can you show me where it says this? I remember seeing it as well but can't find it.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11- Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

In this situation I believe the wife "separated" from her husband not divorced him. From what I understand in the scripture a wife doesn't actually have the right to divorce, only the husband does.

There may be better arguments, but off the top of my head, I would go to the creation account from Genesis.

The man was given stewardship over the earth, to name the animals and even woman, to fill the earth and subdue it. Patriarchy

Everything belongs to God, and God assigned the man to take care of it.

The woman was made to be his helpmeet in fulfilling this creation mandate. The role of "helper" means that she has less responsibility and less authority.

Lets consider an analogy.

Suppose there is a rich landowner, and he hires a farm manager to run his farm. The farm is large enough that the farm manager needed to hire a "helper" or farm worker to help him run the farm.

Sometime later, the farm worker quarrels with the farm manager and decides to leave. Can he dig up the fruit trees and remove them from the farm (after all, he planted them)?

Of course he cannot take the farm tools, livestock, or fruit trees from the farm. They all belong to the landowner, and the landowner has entrusted them to the farm manager.

The landowner has the authority to fire the manager, but the farm worker does not.

I love this attitude! I married mine for life. She doesn’t get the option to divorce me. I will never accept it or bow to it. I will never forsake or leave her. She’s stuck with me until I kick the bucket.

Be careful with saying that too loudly. You kicking the bucket can always be arranged! :p

I definitely agree. Divorce is not an option in our family. I was just wondering how people on here would deal with that scenario who might be ok with it being an option.
Obviously, differently people would deal with it different ways, and the mainstream culture is generally tied to the nonsensical idea that, in the case of divorce, children are better off with their mother. Unfortunately, besides that going against nature other than it being natural for most people to worship at the trough of societal approval, actual empirical social science has been entirely clear about this. The only children who are slightly better off with a single mother than with a single father are prepubescent females. Prepubescent males are somewhat better off with their fathers, pubescent males are even better off with their fathers, and the originally-most-shocking revelation of doing meta-analyses on these situations was learning that the most important childhood relationship is that between a pubescent or adolescent female and her father. The life scripts of teenage girls who live without their fathers is the most depressing set of statistics one could put together: every indicator includes a statistical predictor of life failure: increased levels of drug abuse, unwed pregnancy, theft, murder, unemployment and suicide -- and decreased success in school, jobs and marriage. The book to read on this is Charles Murray's Losing Ground. And the thing to keep in mind is that these are the research results coming from an academic field that is more liberal than average, so they weren't the results they would have wanted to predict.

That is awesome!

I am gonna just answer you question with a question? What does one wife leaving have to do with the other wives? I am not trying to be sarcastic. I have 2 sw's and if they both leave then they leave. I am still required by Yah to be his wife. What they do or don't do is ultimately up to them. Me. I will follow Yah. I know I say it alot but Obedience to Yah means submission to my husband.

I am gonna just answer you question with a question? What does one wife leaving have to do with the other wives? I am not trying to be sarcastic. I have 2 sw's and if they both leave then they leave. I am still required by Yah to be his wife. What they do or don't do is ultimately up to them. Me. I will follow Yah. I know I say it alot but Obedience to Yah means submission to my husband.
My question was more of a legal issue than a moral one. For example if the first wife divorces the husband, she is then entitled to half of the family assets that the additional wives helped contribute to (depending on the family of course).

The additional/non-legal wives do not have the same legal protection.

Also if the husband dies then the first wife also inherits the family assets, therefore forcing the other wives to put their assets into the hands of the first wife.

To answer your question though, it doesn't change much of anything morally but it could change a lot financially.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic either when I say this but I don't necessarily think planning for the "what ifs" has to do with submitting to your husband or not. Honestly if submission is up for debate then I would be concerned about submitting to a man who didn't plan for all of his wives and/or children in the event that something bad did happen to the leader of the household.

Last edited:
I guess that is w
My question was more of a legal issue than a moral one. For example if the first wife divorces the husband, she is then entitled to half of the family assets that the additional wives helped contribute to (depending on the family of course).

The additional/non-legal wives do not have the same legal protection.

Also if the husband dies then the first wife also inherits the family assets, therefore forcing the other wives to put their assets into the hands of the first wife.

To answer your question though, it doesn't change much of anything morally but it could change a lot financially.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic either when I say this but I don't necessarily think planning for the "what ifs" has to do with submitting to your husband or not. Honestly if submission is up for debate then I would be concerned about submitting to a man who didn't plan for all of his wives and/or children in the event that something bad did happen to the leader of the household.
Here is where your choices come into play. If you choose a husband who doesn't take care of those things then that would be a mistake. My suggestion is choose wisely. Most of the men I know make sure their other wives are taken care of in that event. That is something you should probably talk about before you marry. Unless you are like me and independently wealthy. 😂😂🤣🤣

I guess that is w

Here is where your choices come into play. If you choose a husband who doesn't take care of those things then that would be a mistake. My suggestion is choose wisely. Most of the men I know make sure their other wives are taken care of in that event. That is something you should probably talk about before you marry. Unless you are like me and independently wealthy. 😂😂🤣🤣
Lol no ma'am i'm not that blessed but if you are then i'm happy for you ❤️

Yes I definitely understand that it's a concern I should discuss with my future husband. At the time of my question I wasn't really sure how couples handled it, thought maybe there was something I was missing. I always assumed i'd be contributing financially to the household since I can't have children and there is no reason for me to stay at home really lol.

It was also interesting to see how some handled the finances, such as Megan's family and the LLC.

Back