• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dedicated Altar

And since your research hasn't produced any extra-biblical evidence that the early church observed the Sabbath you find a theological underpinning for the idea that the Sabbath, a covenant for all time, was done away with?

Not to mention that the historical record (that I’ve found to date) doesnt bear out the claim that early christianity observed a 7th day sabbath at all, or that Constantine is responsible for its change. Constantine was only responsible for legally recognizing it as the day “Christians” observed it.
I found this.

Catholic Church claims responsibility for the change from seventh-day to first-day Sabbath. Here is an explanation from The Catechism of the Catholic Church Section 2 Article 3 (1994):

Sunday – fulfillment of the Sabbath. Sunday is expressly distinguished from the Sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the Sabbath...

The Sabbath, which represented the completion of the first creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation inaugurated by the Resurrection of Christ...

In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays.

And here are various Catholic sources claiming the change was the doing of the Roman Catholic Church:

Cardinal James Gibbons, The Faith of Our Fathers (Ayers Publishing, 1978): 108:

But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify.

The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine (1957): 50:

Q. Which is the Sabbath day?
A. Saturday is the Sabbath day.
Q. Why Do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

Chancellor Albert Smith for Cardinal of Baltimore Archdiocese, letter dated February 10, 1920:
If Protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath day by God is Saturday. In keeping the Sunday, they are following a law of the Catholic Church.

Stephen Keenan, Catholic—Doctrinal Catechism 3rd Edition: 174:
Question: Have you any other way of proving the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.i

The Faith of Millions: 472-473: "The third commandment is: 'Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath Day'...the early church thought that the most effective way to drive home to them the arrival of the New Law of Christ was to transfer the traditions day of public worship to the Sunday."" data-location="" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(51, 122, 183);">
John A. O'Brien, The Faith of Millions: 472-473: "The third commandment is: 'Remember thou keep ...

Our Sunday Visitor (February 5, 1950):
Practically everything Protestants regard as essential or important they have received from the Catholic Church... The Protestant mind does not seem to realize that in accepting the Bible and observing the Sunday, in keeping Christmas and Easter, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church, the Pope.

Louis Gaston Segur, Plain Talk about the Protestantism of To-Day (London: Thomas Richardson and Son, 1874): 213:
Thus the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is a homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the (Catholic) Church.

John 2o:19 & 26 (they weren’t meeting after eight days but on the eighth day) There’s others but these two instances will do.
I think you are reading bias into this. As I previously stated, nine times the seventh day Sabbath is commanded, with penalty, yet not once is any other day as the normative weekly worship even hinted at....

I really don't want to turn this thread into a monster HR debate.... all these side points are legitimately raised as part of a larger discussion on the relevance of the Torah and therefore the place of sacrifice. The major issue is how we view Scripture. Does it mean what it says and if so, we should expect a false altar and a true/restored altar... likely, false first, then true with the coming Prince, ala Ez. 40-48.

BTW, I do want to go back and address the video on the hidden synagogue. I believe I have seen it. need to go back and review some footage from my last trip...

I found this.

Catholic Church claims responsibility for the change from seventh-day to first-day Sabbath. Here is an explanation from The Catechism of the Catholic Church Section 2 Article 3 (1994):

Sunday – fulfillment of the Sabbath. Sunday is expressly distinguished from the Sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the Sabbath...

The Sabbath, which represented the completion of the first creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation, has been replaced by Sunday which recalls the new creation inaugurated by the Resurrection of Christ...

In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays.

And here are various Catholic sources claiming the change was the doing of the Roman Catholic Church:

But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify.

A. We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.

Chancellor Albert Smith for Cardinal of Baltimore Archdiocese, letter dated February 10, 1920:
If Protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath day by God is Saturday. In keeping the Sunday, they are following a law of the Catholic Church.

Question: Have you any other way of proving the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.i

The Faith of Millions: 472-473: "The third commandment is: 'Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath Day'...the early church thought that the most effective way to drive home to them the arrival of the New Law of Christ was to transfer the traditions day of public worship to the Sunday."" data-location="" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(51, 122, 183);">
John A. O'Brien, The Faith of Millions: 472-473: "The third commandment is: 'Remember thou keep ...

Practically everything Protestants regard as essential or important they have received from the Catholic Church... The Protestant mind does not seem to realize that in accepting the Bible and observing the Sunday, in keeping Christmas and Easter, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church, the Pope.

Louis Gaston Segur, Plain Talk about the Protestantism of To-Day (London: Thomas Richardson and Son, 1874): 213:
Thus the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is a homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the (Catholic) Church.

Don't forget, there is a whole bunch stuff about lunar sabbath. But since this is not about the sabbath I'll leave it alone.

I found this.

I have seen these before. The problem is that there are many documents that date to the end of the 1st century and first part of the second century that confirm my statements of a Sunday worship.

I do not doubt that the Roman Catholic Church claims this change, I’m saying that they were about 300 plus years too late for that to be an accurate claim.

I think you are reading bias into this. As I previously stated, nine times the seventh day Sabbath is commanded, with penalty, yet not once is any other day as the normative weekly worship even hinted at....

As to an explanation of my bias, I will include one (of many) references that I’ve found that summarizes it well.

Tatian Harmony of the Gospel

59 And they rose in that hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered, and those that were with them, saying, Truly our Lord is risen, and hath appeared to Simon. And they related what happened in the way, and how they knew him when he brake the bread. Neither believed they that also.

SECTION LIV.

54 1 And while they talked together, the evening of that day arrived which was the First-day;and the doors were shut where the disciples were, because of the fear of the 2 Jews; and Jesus came and stood among them, and said unto them, Peace be with you: I am he; fear not. But they were agitated, and became afraid, and supposed that they 3 saw a spirit. Jesus said unto them, Why are ye agitated? and why do thoughts rise 4 Arabic, in your hearts? See my hands and my feet, that I am he: feel me, and know that a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me having that. 5 And when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his feet and his side. 6 And they were until this time unbelieving, from their joy and their wonder. He 7 said unto them, Have ye anything here to eat? And they gave him a portion of broiled fish and of honey. And he took it, and ate before them. 8 And he said unto them, These are the sayings which I spake unto you, while I was with you, that everything must be fulfilled, which is written in the law of 9 Moses, and the prophets, and the psalms, concerning me.Then opened he their heart, that they might understand the scriptures; and he said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it is necessary that the Messiah suffer, and rise from among the dead on the third day; and that repentance unto the forgiveness of sins be preached in his name among all the peoples; and the beginning shall be from Jerusalem. And ye shall be witnesses of that. And I send unto you the promise of my Father. And when the disciples heard that, they were glad. And Jesus said unto them again, Peace be with you: as my Father hath sent me, I also send you. And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said unto them, Receive ye the Holy Spirit: 16 and if ye forgive sins to any man, they shall be forgiven him; and if ye retain them against any man, they shall be retained.

17 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Thama, was not there with the disciples when Jesus came. The disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen our Lord. But he said unto them, If I do not see in his hands the places of the nails, and put on them my fingers, and pass my hand over his side, I will not believe.

19 And after eight days, on the next First-day, the disciples were assembled again within,and Thomas with them. And Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood Arabic, in the midst, and said unto them, Peace be with you. And he said to Thomas, Bring hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and bring hither thy hand, and spread it on my side: and be not unbelieving, but believing. Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus said unto him, Now since thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen me, and have believed.

@Verifyveritas76 okay, so the first day was a convenient time to gather to catch up on the previous week.... so? Nothing in that passage indicates a change of day.

Here is a question for you: can God UNsanctify something?

He unsanctified his house and destroyed it twice. Or something like that.

I’d say re the Sabbath, that he simply did what He had modeled for millennia with the Jubilee. The eighth Sabbath reset and started a new Sabbath count.

Who benefits from the current weekly Sabbath, whatever day it is? Babylon.

Why are the seven year land Sabbath's not honored? Babylon.

Why the greatest Sabbath of all is not honored, the jubilee? Babylon.

Why is the new moon day David honored not observed?

If there was a lunar Sabbath who truly would be glorified? God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can He or would He? Two very different questions.
The question is 'can He?' Personally, I don't think He can, therefore He wouldn't.

The point: in the Garden, before the fall, He sanctified the seventh day and set it apart. Can He UNsanctify that day in favor of any other? If so, where, when and how?

I do believe the priesthood was intended to be in the home and through the firstborn... Adam... but, we do have a substitute system until the end of the age.

I agree. I see that the Levitical age has ended however and that’s probably where we differ.

1 Peter 2:5,8-10 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto† also they were appointed.
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar† people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Revelations 1:5,6 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

@Verifyveritas76 okay, so the first day was a convenient time to gather to catch up on the previous week.... so? Nothing in that passage indicates a change of day

I think it’s more than just a convenient time to gather. Keep in mind that this is Christ assembling with his church on a specific day twice with no mention in 40ish days of an assembly on the Sabbath while he was still present on earth.

I would be interested in a list of the nine commanded occasions so that I could look into them a bit more.

The question is 'can He?' Personally, I don't think He can, therefore He wouldn't.

Jeremiah 7:12. But go ye now unto my place which was in Shiloh, where I set my name at the first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of my people Israel.

Psalms 78:59 & 60 When God heard this, he was wroth, and greatly abhorred Israel:
So that he forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh, the tent which he placed among men;

2 Chronicles 7:16. For now have I chosen and sanctified this house, that my name may be there forever: and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.

Jeremiah 26:6 Then will I make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth.

2 Chronicles 7:20. Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among all nations.

I’m seeing that He not only can unsanctify something, but that He has done so repeatedly throughout Biblical history. In this case, specifically a city, and a tabernacle, and a temple that He placed His name in and sanctified.

Additionally, Numbers 8:17 For all the firstborn of the children of Israel are mine, both man and beast: on the day that I smote every firstborn in the land of Egypt I sanctified them for myself.
Numbers 3:12. And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;

Here is another example of something that God sanctified and then substituted another in place of.

I agree. I see that the Levitical age has ended however and that’s probably where we differ.
Christianity thinks that because the Temple was destroyed, the Temple system and Levitical Priesthood are abolished. Prophesy declares that there will be another Temple and Levites will serve in it. Ezekiel 43 & 44. The better position that I took a couple years ago is to understand that the Temple system was suspended. This is a major difference.

I think it’s more than just a convenient time to gather. Keep in mind that this is Christ assembling with his church on a specific day twice with no mention in 40ish days of an assembly on the Sabbath while he was still present on earth.

I would be interested in a list of the nine commanded occasions so that I could look into them a bit more.
There is no commandment associated with any day other than the seventh. Your statement above is purely eisegetical. Even Isaiah declares, concerning future prophecy, '"And it shall be from new moon to new moon and from Sabbath to sabbath, all mankind will come to bow before Me," says the Lord. '

So, here are the nine.... Show me even a single countermand:

Genesis 1:31-2:3
Exodus 16:26-29
Exodus 20:8-11
Exodus 23:12
Exodus 31:12-17
Exodus 34:21
Exodus 35:2-3
Leviticus 23:3
Deuteronomy 5:12-14
And, here is an article I wrote about this several years ago.

Jeremiah 7:12. But go ye now unto my place which was in Shiloh, where I set my name at the first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of my people Israel.

Psalms 78:59 & 60 When God heard this, he was wroth, and greatly abhorred Israel:
So that he forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh, the tent which he placed among men;

2 Chronicles 7:16. For now have I chosen and sanctified this house, that my name may be there forever: and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.

Jeremiah 26:6 Then will I make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth.

2 Chronicles 7:20. Then will I pluck them up by the roots out of my land which I have given them; and this house, which I have sanctified for my name, will I cast out of my sight, and will make it to be a proverb and a byword among all nations.

I’m seeing that He not only can unsanctify something, but that He has done so repeatedly throughout Biblical history. In this case, specifically a city, and a tabernacle, and a temple that He placed His name in and sanctified.

Additionally, Numbers 8:17 For all the firstborn of the children of Israel are mine, both man and beast: on the day that I smote every firstborn in the land of Egypt I sanctified them for myself.
Numbers 3:12. And I, behold, I have taken the Levites from among the children of Israel instead of all the firstborn that openeth the matrix among the children of Israel: therefore the Levites shall be mine;

Here is another example of something that God sanctified and then substituted another in place of.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

In the wilderness they were told that the Tabernacle was temporary until God revealed where He would cause His name to dwell. David's responsibility was to prepare for the Temple and Solomon's to build it. While the Tabernacle was sanctified, it was done so with the understanding that it was not forever.

Similarly, His eyes are still on Jerusalem and His name is still on that place. Prophecy demands that a future Temple stand there and eventually the New Jerusalem.

Again, I think we all agree in many points on where this is heading. Christendom, due to antisemitic roots from the second century on, tries to interpret everything as if the Jews no longer matter or as if all Old Testament prophecy is now irrelevant when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. We are not as far along the grand timeline as the eschatologists would have us believe. We still have a 1000 year millennial reign with Yeshua as King from Jerusalem administering Torah. Or, He has not fulfilled the prophets.

Even Isaiah declares, concerning future prophecy, '"And it shall be from new moon to new moon and from Sabbath to sabbath, all mankind will come to bow before Me," says the Lord. '

At what point did the new moon and the sabbath connection get transferred to the Gregorian weekly calendar schedule. And I still don't believe that the days lost from the switch from the Julian calendar was accurately done.

In the wilderness they were told that the Tabernacle was temporary until God revealed where He would cause His name to dwell. David's responsibility was to prepare for the Temple and Solomon's to build it. While the Tabernacle was sanctified, it was done so with the understanding that it was not forever.

Similarly, His eyes are still on Jerusalem and His name is still on that place. Prophecy demands that a future Temple stand there and eventually the New Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 19 says otherwise.

Again, I think we all agree in many points on where this is heading. Christendom, due to antisemitic roots from the second century on, tries to interpret everything as if the Jews no longer matter or as if all Old Testament prophecy is now irrelevant when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. We are not as far along the grand timeline as the eschatologists would have us believe. We still have a 1000 year millennial reign with Yeshua as King from Jerusalem administering Torah. Or, He has not fulfilled the prophets.

I think trying to label any thought different than what the 'Jews' believe as antisemitic is an excuse. I think it is just trying to find the truth. The tribe of Judah absolutely matters, the question is who are they, according to God? But I think more important than all that is to try and find out the place in the Temple that is currently being built where each belong, The Most Holy Place, the Inner Court, or the Outer Court. In like manner, where in the wedding we each fit, the Bride, the Groomsmen/Bridesmaids, or guests?

Back