• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Does a husbands authority wax and wane?

I don’t know if Paul is one of the twelve or not. I know that in the New Jerusalem are written the names of The Twelve Apostles of The Lamb. Whether the twelfth is Matthias or Paul we probably won’t know till we get there. The distinction is who commissioned them. Paul was sent by Christ personally. Missionaries today are sent by the church which is the body of Christ but it isn’t the same situation as with the Apostles that Christ appeared to and sent personally. Those Apostles received the doctrine that they taught directly from Jesus Christ. Missionaries today do not have the authority to teach new doctrine. They are to remain steadfast in the Apostle’s doctrine.

What is faith without the object of that faith? What is it that faith can do? Christ can open blind eyes, heal the sick, and raise the dead whenever he wants, he is sovereign and we must submit to his place and timing. But let us not fall prey to false teachers, false prophets, and false apostles. Test the spirits, check their teaching against the doctrine of the Apostles that we know for sure are Apostles.

Is there any scriptural precedent for Apostleship over a local church by one who did not found it?

ROMANS 1:1
1Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2(Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: 5By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

7To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you. 11For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; 12That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. 13Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,)

Paul wrote as an Apostolic authority and apparently had not even been to Rome yet. It seems the church at Rome was founded by the 'strangers from Rome' who were present at Pentecost.

Acts 2:7
7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Who was the second witness to Paul seeing Christ, besides Paul?

Your 2 Cor 11 verses all say little 'a' apostle. I don't dispute that.

And I would agree with your note.

Paul himself said that he was not a lessor apostle (except in the sense that he persecuted the church). So he was either a full apostle ("capital A in your language"?), or he was a false apostle.

So are you contending that he was a false apostle, or what?

Last edited:
You seem to be saying that, in reference to other posts made, that Paul was one of the original 12 apostles and that his office is unique to that position. I am saying that Paul was not one of the 12. (What was Mathias?) Paul was just an apostle "sent one" that received revelation of Christ AFTER His resurrection and ascension, no different than any man after the fact that claims revelation from Christ, even to this day. The difference in them would be the fruit they produce. Paul appears to produce pretty good fruit so it has become obvious that he did receive something, but he was not one of the 12 Apostles. That's a catholic thing.

Catholics believe that Paul was one of the 12? I was unaware that anyone in Christendom believed that.

Not being one of the 12 does not make him in any sense inferior as an apostle or have any lessor authority. That is the theme of the book of Galatians.

Indeed Paul is one of the great pillars of Christendom being the apostle to the Gentiles (Romans 11:13) !

There no reason to reject Matthias as the replacement for Judas. My genealogy study shows that some of the disciples were also from the tribe of Judah. The scepter was not to depart from Judah specifically speaking of Christ and if some of the disciples were of Judah then it seems to me that since they were promised thrones ruling the twelve tribes that Matthias and all of the TWELVE were probably from Judah as well. We know that Paul was from Benjamin.

Reactions: Cap
Matthew is generally understood to have been a Levite. He is often considered to be the same person as Levi the tax collector, as the accounts of both are parallel in different gospels.

Background, from my understanding: The Levites, having no inheritance among the tribes, but being trained for temple service, ended up being scribes and generally elping with official business. The Roman empire tended to abdorb such peopleinto their own bureaucracy, so many tax collecters etc would have been levites simply because they had the training for such mathematical and recording work.

So they were not all from Judah.

Judas' name however is Judah in Hebrew. He may have been from Judah. There may have been one from each tribe, and the death of Judas might have required the appointment of another Judahite - but that is very speculative.

I do not think he is one of the twelve, but I am having trouble understanding the importance of the question. Why does it matter?

What matters is the idea that Christ can send messengers, sent ones, apostates, disciples, anointed teachers, or whatever to the world TODAY. If Paul is one of the 12 then his message is canonized and in line with the Gospels and other works of the Apostles that we read about and that is it, we have to read it. Which by the way since the Catholic church did the canonization, they are the ones that brought him to that status. When you hear anyone in Christendom talk about Paul it is always Paul the Apostle.

Now, if Paul shared the gospel and he wasn't' an 'A'postle then he was no different than the 70 or any other believer who shared the Good News to unbelievers. He does not deliver any knew revelations that is different than what Christ shared with the original 'A'postles. He was an anointed teacher that happened to be elevated by the church to the status of Saint. To the point that Paul has become on the same level, in a sense, like Moses of the Old Testament.

There are many odd things about Paul and I have always wonder why people don't pick apart the Epistles of Paul like they do the Old Testament? Pretty much what Paul said is what Paul said and that's it. And actually, Paul is always a witness for Paul. Which is really odd to me.

Paul himself said that he was not a lessor apostle (except in the sense that he persecuted the church). So he was either a full apostle ("capital A in your language"?), or he was a false apostle.

So are you contending that he was a false apostle, or what?

Again, Paul is a witness for himself. Paul first states he heard Christ then he later said he saw Him. He starts out a part of the group but later on becomes alone, preaching 'Paul's' Gospel. John Mark, Barnabas, and Titus had to part ways with Paul. Paul had disagreements with the Apostles. Odd. I am not at all saying he is a false prophet (I don't have enough information) but I am saying that I believe Paul has a message to declare that came from Christ, no different than can be done TODAY for someone that God chooses to use to share His message TODAY. But if Paul is elevated to 'A'psotle then that leaves little room to accept an understanding that God can use a man today to send a message.

Indeed Paul is one of the great pillars of Christendom being the apostle to the Gentiles (Romans 11:13) !

I agree.

I don’t know if Paul is one of the twelve or not. I know that in the New Jerusalem are written the names of The Twelve Apostles of The Lamb. Whether the twelfth is Matthias or Paul we probably won’t know till we get there. The distinction is who commissioned them. .

This I can accept.

Paul was sent by Christ personally. Missionaries today are sent by the church which is the body of Christ but it isn’t the same situation as with the Apostles that Christ appeared to and sent personally. Those Apostles received the doctrine that they taught directly from Jesus Christ. Missionaries today do not have the authority to teach new doctrine. They are to remain steadfast in the Apostle’s doctrine. .

Before you said you were not sure whether Paul was one of the twelve. Here you seem to be saying he is.

If Paul is not one of the twelve then he is a missionary sent by the church. (That's what I say.) Paul never taught 'new doctrine'. What's interesting to me is that somehow there is a distinction between the apostles to the Israelite's (the twelve) and Paul the apostle to the Gentiles. It would seem to me that there are three Testaments, the Old, and New(a) and New(b). And then as it turns out there is neither Jew nor Gentile, just believers. (sorry that's just me rambling. I don't really believe this)

What is faith without the object of that faith? What is it that faith can do? Christ can open blind eyes, heal the sick, and raise the dead whenever he wants, he is sovereign and we must submit to his place and timing. But let us not fall prey to false teachers, false prophets, and false apostles. Test the spirits, check their teaching against the doctrine of the Apostles that we know for sure are Apostles.

Amen.

You are taking the two or three witnesses thing out of context. Do you question whether or not Moses saw the burning bush in the desert? I’m not aware of any other witnesses to that except maybe some sheep. Do you question whether or not God inscribed the tablets of stone on mount Sinai? Or how about Jonah being in the belly of the great fish? No “witnesses” there as far as i know. Or how about John on the isle of Patmos? We have no witnesses to verify what he was seeing in his vision.

These are stories being told by Moses, who wrote God's Law. God is Mose's second witness. Jonah and Revelations is information in a story being passed. Paul justifies himself by his vision, or hearing, or experience. These are all different.

You seem to think that I don’t believe that God can or does miracles today. This is not true. I do believe he can and that he does so where and when he chooses. Miracles are quite rare today, and they have been rare throughout history. The tremendous signs that God preformed through Moses where done to be a sign to the children of Israel and the world to pay attention, God is using this man to bring the Word of God and write it down.

It was the same with the Apostles, God preformed miraculous signs, “the signs of an Apostle”, through them to tell, first Israel and then the gentiles to pay attention, God is laying down the written Word through them.

First, I did think that you didn't believe in miracles but now I see I was wrong. I agree with your statements in regard to Moses. However, I disagree with your statements about the Apostles. There purpose was to spread the Good News, God did not lay down written word through them. The Law was already written, it just need to be spread.

These people going around claiming to be in the office of Apostle are charlatans. Anyone who claims to be a living Apostle is either deceived or deceiving. The signs of an Apostle are signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. If you find somebody doing those things you let me know.

Revelation 2:2 KJV
[2] I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

We are not supposed to just take someone’s word that they are an Apostle.

I agree with you 100%. However, I do believe that God can use a man today to send a message to anyone He chooses.

I am wondering what the Messianic Jews / Hebrew Roots Gentiles folks think about Paul?

I am wondering what the Messianic Jews / Hebrew Roots Gentiles folks think about Paul?
There are a wide range of views, from full acceptance but just interpreting his words differently, to rejection as an imposter, and everywhere in between.

There no reason to reject Matthias as the replacement for Judas. My genealogy study shows that some of the disciples were also from the tribe of Judah. The scepter was not to depart from Judah specifically speaking of Christ and if some of the disciples were of Judah then it seems to me that since they were promised thrones ruling the twelve tribes that Matthias and all of the TWELVE were probably from Judah as well. We know that Paul was from Benjamin.
That seems like a giant leap of logic. Besides, we never hear from Matthias again and Acts simply recounts the way he was chosen while not really giving him any solid ordination from God Himself. Paul on the other hand goes on to be the most significant man in the New Testament, a corollary to Moses. How when the two are compared Matthias would come out as the more "legitimate" apostle I'll never know.

Minimizing the Pauline books or denigrating Paul's ministry is my redline. I will not listen to teachers who go there. We lose so much that is beautiful in our faith if we lose Paul. And how does someone not be a Torah keeper if they don't accept Paul's writings as scripture. All of the verses that people misinterpret to get out of Torah are in Paul.

That seems like a giant leap of logic. Besides, we never hear from Matthias again and Acts simply recounts the way he was chosen while not really giving him any solid ordination from God Himself. Paul on the other hand goes on to be the most significant man in the New Testament, a corollary to Moses. How when the two are compared Matthias would come out as the more "legitimate" apostle I'll never know.

There are other apostles that aren't talked about as much either. The one thing that does raise a question about him is that he was chosen by lots, by men, after interpreting scripture. So who knows.

Minimizing the Pauline books or denigrating Paul's ministry is my redline. I will not listen to teachers who go there. We lose so much that is beautiful in our faith if we lose Paul. And how does someone not be a Torah keeper if they don't accept Paul's writings as scripture. All of the verses that people misinterpret to get out of Torah are in Paul.

I agree and will not come to the place of saying Paul is a false prophet, but I do think his status has been elevated to much.

Back