• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical money

Hey,

AK-47 is great. There is reason it's very popular.
I was out shooting mine just the other day. 😁. I may also have an SKS and a Mosin Nagant. I'm a fan of "commie guns".

They all used to be so much cheaper than AR15s. Now that they have gotten expensive, and ARs have gotten cheaper, I've mainly shifted to ARs. The ergonomics are better on the AR and it is easier to shoot accurately.

I still like them all. 😉

Yeah, the commies gave them away by the millions. Because no one would buy them. Because they suck.
You say they "suck", but you love a .357 magnum lever action for homestead use. 🤔

The AK and SKS make pretty respectable homestead rifles out to around 200 yards (like the .357 or 30-30 lever action). The 7.62*39 works good enough for deer, hogs, coyotes, dogs, raccoons, wolves, cougars, black bear, and criminals. Palmetto State Armory is now making reasonably priced expanding ammo in 7.62*39. The recoil is minimal so the rest of the family can also handle it.

The AR15 will do all that and more, but that doesn't mean the AK sucks.

You say they "suck", but you love a .357 magnum lever action for homestead use. 🤔

The AK and SKS make pretty respectable homestead rifles out to around 200 yards (like the .357 or 30-30 lever action). The 7.62*39 works good enough for deer, hogs, coyotes, dogs, raccoons, wolves, cougars, black bear, and criminals. Palmetto State Armory is now making reasonably priced expanding ammo in 7.62*39. The recoil is minimal so the rest of the family can also handle it.

The AR15 will do all that and more, but that doesn't mean the AK sucks.
The AK is an 11 pound brick with an incredibly inefficient round that performs a lot like a .357 rifle and does not live up to one iota of its hype. It used to be cheap to buy and shoot but that is no longer the case. Plus it has legions of fan boys. It just insults me.

Just my humble opinion but the AK rifles are mostly good standoff weapons. Most effective in urban or moderate close quarters.

"Accurate" isn't really a thing with the AK unless we're talking about the Dragunov variants which can be good long range rifles if their parts all fit right and the barrel isn't burned out or pitted from the corrosive Russian ammunition. The Dragunov I had for a while rattled and the barrel was useless at long range after four or five shots. I had to let it cool down between three round groups if I wanted accuracy.

Also in my opinion is at 200+ yards/meters the safest place to be when some guy is firing an AK at you is right where he's aiming. That's the least likely place the bullet will hit.

An awful lot of dry bones in the dust from this inefficient round fired from a brick. Tell their lost generations about your insults. You've overreached your perche.

Just my humble opinion but the AK rifles are mostly good standoff weapons. Most effective in urban or moderate close quarters.

"Accurate" isn't really a thing with the AK unless we're talking about the Dragunov variants which can be good long range rifles if their parts all fit right and the barrel isn't burned out or pitted from the corrosive Russian ammunition. The Dragunov I had for a while rattled and the barrel was useless at long range after four or five shots. I had to let it cool down between three round groups if I wanted accuracy.

Also in my opinion is at 200+ yards/meters the safest place to be when some guy is firing an AK at you is right where he's aiming. That's the least likely place the bullet will hit.
Dang Megan! We already knew you were kinda awesome, but you just moved up a level! You not only know what a Dragunov is, but use to own one!

I'll also assume that you were talking about a real Russian Dragunov, not VEPR or Saiga in 7.62*54r, or a overgrown Romanian AK in 7.62*54r.

Just curious but where do you get 11lbs?
@The Revolting Man is using hyperbole.

I weighed my AK on my digital kitchen scale and it was exactly 9 pounds. This was with a side rail mount (probably 6-8 oz or so), rings (and ounce or two) a 1-4x LPVO (probably around a pound), and an empty 10 round polymer mag inserted. The rifle itself is likely about seven pounds.

Zec must be including a full thirty round magazine. The ammo is what is heavy with the 7.62*39 (relative to the 5.56).

A soft point 7.62*39 round (even cheap Wolf/Tula soft point) clearly hits harder than a 5.56. The AK will kill medium game at close range (deer and hogs) better than the AR in .223.

The inaccuracy of the AK is often exaggerated. I agree that the AR is generally more accurate, but the AK will get the job done assuming you have a decent one.

I weighed my AK on my digital kitchen scale and it was exactly 9 pounds. This was with a side rail mount (probably 6-8 oz or so), rings (and ounce or two) a 1-4x LPVO (probably around a pound), and an empty 10 round polymer mag inserted. The rifle itself is likely about seven pounds.

Zec must be including a full thirty round magazine. The ammo is what is heavy with the 7.62*39 (relative to the 5.56).

A soft point 7.62*39 round (even cheap Wolf/Tula soft point) clearly hits harder than a 5.56. The AK will kill medium game at close range (deer and hogs) better than the AR in .223.
I weighed a full 30 round mag, and it was 1 lb 8 oz. I also weighed that empty 10 round mag and it was 4 oz. Therefore, my rifle with a rail, a scope, and full 30 round mag is still 10.25 lbs. Without the scope and rail mount it would be under 9lbs fully loaded.

A loaded AK-47 weighs between 10-11 pounds. There is a lot of variation because there is a lot of variation in AKs but they’re porky beasts for having such limited performance.

And I am very sorry but 7.62x39 is most effect from 100-150 yards. Closer than 100 yards the cheap ammunition doesn’t expand well and past 150 yards the drop off is severe.

You have to remember that even Russia abandoned the 7.62x39 in 1974, in the immediate aftermath of being able to observe its performance in Vietnam, its first, and still biggest, deployment of the round. It’s just not a very good round.

And why should it be? It was the very first of a new category. It was trailblazing (or at least was when the Germans invented it as 8mm Kurtz). It would be shocking if there weren’t improvements to be made.

So I have been thinking about how to use metals and came to the conclusion of collateral and barter vs selling. What other ways can metals be used? It occurs to me you never want to actually lose possession of your metals. Collateral for a loan seems like the most secure way to retain control of your assets, but this can apply also to other assets of value beyond bare metals, such as jewelery, artwork, collector items.

Booze would likely have a great barter value in the zombie apocalypse.
It has a similar problem that you have with gold and silver in that determining units of value and treating it like a currency can potentially be difficult.
So, while it is less expensive to buy it in solid cases of 1.75L bottles, you may hamstring yourself with respect to being able to break a large bill so to speak.
So, I am an advocate of a large supply of 50ML bottles.
As I am in the industry, I am in the position to tell you that frequently there are amazing deals...surprising deals. Couple of years ago Jim beam Devil's Cut whiskey was $.15 a bottle.
Now all you have to do is make friends with a small local liquor store and make a deal with them to pay 10% or so or over cost if you can get a couple or 5 cases in a pop. Offer to pay in advance after he has called his reps and found out what is running super cheap at the moment. Most independant stores will work with you on a pre paid in and out situation.
Same goes for the other small sizes (100ml, 200ml, 375ml). The best time to do it is towards the end of the month when the reps have volume goals to meet. All the store has to do is send out a text to his reps looking for the small format deals and shoot you the results. So essentially no work for them.

A loaded AK-47 weighs between 10-11 pounds. There is a lot of variation because there is a lot of variation in AKs but they’re porky beasts for having such limited performance.

And I am very sorry but 7.62x39 is most effect from 100-150 yards. Closer than 100 yards the cheap ammunition doesn’t expand well and past 150 yards the drop off is severe.

You have to remember that even Russia abandoned the 7.62x39 in 1974, in the immediate aftermath of being able to observe its performance in Vietnam, its first, and still biggest, deployment of the round. It’s just not a very good round.

And why should it be? It was the very first of a new category. It was trailblazing (or at least was when the Germans invented it as 8mm Kurtz). It would be shocking if there weren’t improvements to be made.
We are saying different things. I think you are arguing the following.

The Stoner rifle in 5.56 is preferable to the Kalashnikov in 7.62 for general military use, and also for "Minuteman" purposes.

I agree.

Nonetheless, millions of soldiers and militias around the world have also used AKs for decades. In the hands of competent men, the AK will get the job done.

I'm also saying that the AK is a perfectly acceptable general purpose homestead, fun gun, and defensive carbine/rifle for Joe Blow. So is the Mini-14, the M1 Carbine, the M1 Garand, the Tavor, the Styer Aug, the SKS, the AR15/10, the lever action (30-30, .357, .44, .45 Colt, etc), the Enfield, the HK91, the FAL, and even PCC's like the Sub2K and Hi-Point carbine.

Like yourself, I prefer the Stoner rifle, but also realize the AK in 7.62*39 is a classic.

For a fighting carbine round, the 6.5 Grendel is ballistically preferable to both 5.56 and 7.62*39, but is far less common. I don't have one, and probably never will.

Ford/Chevy/Dodge, 1911/Glock, 9/.40/.45, Blonde/Brunette/Redhead, NKJV/NASB/ESV. We can argue about them, but they all generally work alright.

Last edited:
Booze would likely have a great barter value in the zombie apocalypse.
It has a similar problem that you have with gold and silver in that determining units of value and treating it like a currency can potentially be difficult.
So, while it is less expensive to buy it in solid cases of 1.75L bottles, you may hamstring yourself with respect to being able to break a large bill so to speak.
So, I am an advocate of a large supply of 50ML bottles.
As I am in the industry, I am in the position to tell you that frequently there are amazing deals...surprising deals. Couple of years ago Jim beam Devil's Cut whiskey was $.15 a bottle.
Now all you have to do is make friends with a small local liquor store and make a deal with them to pay 10% or so or over cost if you can get a couple or 5 cases in a pop. Offer to pay in advance after he has called his reps and found out what is running super cheap at the moment. Most independant stores will work with you on a pre paid in and out situation.
Same goes for the other small sizes (100ml, 200ml, 375ml). The best time to do it is towards the end of the month when the reps have volume goals to meet. All the store has to do is send out a text to his reps looking for the small format deals and shoot you the results. So essentially no work for them.
Disposable lighters can be bought by the hundreds pretty cheaply. Then again, fire attracts zombies doesn't it?
🤔

Back