• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Burden Unable to Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickF

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male

Acts 15 NASB1995

15 Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.”
There were men who came down from Judea and were teaching Christians they must be circumcised according to the custom/law of Moses. This is what the problem was.
2 And when Paul and Barnabas had [a]great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. 3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. 4 When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them.

5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”
This is the question at hand. Do all believers need to be circumcised and observe the Law of Moses? This is in reference to the Law of Moses, not the oral tradition of the Pharisees. It included the matter of circumcision. These men even included "direct them to observe the Law of Moses". I hear this oft repeated that those who Love God must observe the Law of Moses and that includes circumcision. When I ask, I've gotten snide remarks about how I hate the law, or how I must love some skin on the tip of my cock more than God.
6 The apostles and the elders came together to [b]look into this [c]matter. 7 After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that [d]in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; 9 and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? 11 But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”
The yoke that their fathers nor they have been able to bear is the Law of Moses. This is attested to elsewhere in the NT as well. You are all familiar with the passages.
12 All the people kept silent, and they were listening to Barnabas and Paul as they were relating what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.

James’s Judgment​

13 After they had stopped speaking, [e]James answered, saying, “Brethren, listen to me. 14 Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name. 15 With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,
16 ‘After these things I will return,
And I will rebuild the [f]tabernacle of David which has fallen,
And I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will restore it,
17 So that the rest of [g]mankind may seek the Lord,
And all the Gentiles [h]who are called by My name,’
18 Says the Lord, who [i]makes these things known from long ago.
19 Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, 20 but that we write to them that they abstain from [j]things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. 21 For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since [k]he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”
22 Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas—Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, 23 and they [l]sent this letter by them,
Here's the letter that the men ordained by God in the flesh sent to the gentiles instructing them on the matter of observing the Law of Moses and circumcision.
“The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.
24 “Since we have heard that some [m]of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls, 25 it seemed good to us, having [n]become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have [o]risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 “Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 “For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
Men were laying a burden to observe all of the Torah and to command believers to be circumcised. The Ruach saw fit to lay no greater burden than this next passage.
29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; [p]if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”
I don't see any following portion where Gentiles are commanded to go on to receive the instruction from men that were unsettling people and preaching something different than the Apostles.
30 So when they were sent away, they went down to Antioch; and having gathered the [q]congregation together, they delivered the letter. 31 When they had read it, they rejoiced because of its [r]encouragement. 32 Judas and Silas, also being prophets themselves, [s]encouraged and strengthened the brethren with a lengthy message. 33 After they had spent time there, they were sent away from the brethren in peace to those who had sent them out. 34 [[t]But it seemed good to Silas to remain there.] 35 But Paul and Barnabas stayed in Antioch, teaching and preaching with many others also, the word of the Lord.

I keep hearing that the burden that was too heavy to bear was the traditions. But I've only heard that spoken of men. Where is that in scripture? Because here we see that the scriptures are saying the burden to heavy was the Law of Moses.

I've been trying to learn because my heart is to obey God. But there are so many inconsistencies with "Hebrew roots or Torah keeping" that I'm increasingly unsettled by the teachings that seem to contradict the vast majority of the NT. I'm finding very little to no logic. So I'm here asking for answers to some questions. Hopefully some of you are able to provide answers.

God says, 'if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul. “For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.... (Deut. 30:10-11)

Paul cites this.

Therefore, any law that is a yoke to heavy to bear must not be the Law of God given through Moses.

God says, 'if you obey the LORD your God to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this book of the law, if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul. “For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach.... (Deut. 30:10-11)

11 “For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off.” Deuteronomy 30:11 | NKJV

He is saying that it can be understood, not that it will be easy to keep.

10 “For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.”
James 2:10 | NKJV

No one could keep it perfectly, except Yeshua.

Therefore, any law that is a yoke to heavy to bear must not be the Law of God given through Moses.

That is not exegesis.

I am forced to agree with @Asforme&myhouse due to simple logic. We know absolutely that nobody has been able to keep the whole law. For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. There is none righteous save Him.

Additionally we are told that the Law of Moses was too burdensome for them or their fathers to bear. The passage does not say "The leaven of the pharisees" was too burdensome, or "The oral traditions". It says what it says and it don't say no mo.

Therefore we know that the Law of Moses was too burdensome for them to bear was indeed the Law of Moses like it says plainly.
Jesus came and gave a new law, one that is light and easy to bear. It was believe on Him, and count yourself as dead to sin and the Law, and alive to grace and life in Christ.

Romans 7:1-6

1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I am speaking to those who know the law), that the law has jurisdiction over a person as long as he lives? 2 For the married woman is bound by law to her [a]husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law [b]concerning the husband. 3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which were aroused by the Law, were at work in [c]the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the [d]Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.
That letter that was old was the Torah, it plainly states this. Gramma

The law has jurisdiction over a living man. Not one that is dead. This is a great mystery but one we are to hold fast to and not abandon our hope. We are to reckon ourselves dead indeed.

Romans 6:1-7
1What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become [a]united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be [b]in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old [c]self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be [d]done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is [e]freed from sin.

Here's one of my main issues. And I know I must reiterate this and beat this (pun intended). But I don't give one flying flip about a flap of flesh. So let's avoid that whole mess... If I was commanded to cut off my pinkie toe I'd do it tonight. But I'm commanded specifically to not do so. Why? Because it profits nothing. How could it profit nothing if the profit is in the keeping of the Law and being righteous?

IF as a believer I am no longer supposed to be circumcised, and the law still applies to me 100% all 613. Then this is a contradiction as Gentiles are specifically told to not be circumcised. I use this issue because it was contentious 2000 years ago, and it is again today. And we have clear instruction on this matter that cannot be "interpreted" out of it's clear and concise meaning laid out in scripture.

What is the answer?

1. "Well, some of the law is fulfilled and you aren't subject to some of it anymore"
2. "100% of the law applies and you must obey it all."
3. "All of the law is done away with and no longer exists."
4. "Some of the law is fulfilled and we are no longer expected to adhere to that old contract."
5. "All of the law was fulfilled, we are not under that old law, instead there is a new law"
6. Something else?

But I'm told absolutely 100% that all of the law is in full force against me and I must obey all of the law or be judged without any hope. I am forced to conclude that Christ is made of none effect if I am still 100% bound to obey all the law of Moses.

Do you see the conundrum I'm put in? Do you not see the logical trap? There is no way to contravene this without standing in judgement of either the Ruach, or the Apostles. And in doing so, stand in judgement of the one who sent those Apostles. I'm not so bold as to contradict the Holy One. Either I am missing something or we must conclude that Gentiles are not under the complete 100% Law of Moses.

What am I missing? There are a cloud of witnesses here who attest to hold the truth.

always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;

A few thoughts I have; one is that I absolutely believe God could lay it on a believing person’s heart to keep the Law of Moses as much as they can, if this is you, I highly recommend you listen!!! I can also see where someone could be going all out to walk in a way that pleases the Father, and see the Law of Moses as a perfect step by step blue print for doing that. I can definitely see both these people experiencing a lot of blessings in the process as it is God’s instructions on how a nation and its people should live.
I also believe it is 100% still in effect, just like Jesus said, and if anyone kept it completely, they would be saved. But we know that’s not actually possible, because scripture says so. Because the Law of Moses was never intended to save us, but rather was to point us toward Christ, who is the fulfillment of the Law. The letter of the Law has never been as important as the Spirit. Did not even Jesus say:

16So Jesus said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17Do you not yet understand that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and is eliminated?18But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. 19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. 20These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”

The verses that have been posted previously are too many and too directed at this topic for me to conclude that I have to keep the Law of Moses(and be circumcised like it says) in order to please Christ. However as I said before, I have no issue with someone who feels like their conscience leads them to keeping it as they can, but be careful judging those of us who are walking in the faith and freedom Christ bought for us, as before our own Master we will stand or fall on the Last Day.

Shalom

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good[a] Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, [b]“Why do you call Me good? [c]No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept [d]from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect,go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

But I'm told absolutely 100% that all of the law is in full force against me and I must obey all of the law or be judged without any hope.
THAT is not what Scripture says (and it's not what I, or any of those who quote Matthew 5:17-19 say either.)

It says obey Him if you want the blessings. And He says, "if you love Me, keep My commands."

And Deuteronomy 30 says - even with a bit of Divine Sarcasm - it's NOT too hard for you.

So don't sweat it. You can't make offerings in any temple, aren't a king, or a cohen, and the only question is do you want His blessings here, now, and do you want to be "grafted in"?

BTW - there IS a way to avoid the "logical trap." But I'm not gonna rehash that.

I'm not so bold as to contradict the Holy One. Either I am missing something or we must conclude that Gentiles are not under the complete 100% Law of Moses.
The etymology of the word 'gentile' makes it equivalent to 'pagan.' Pagans don't obey YHVH anyway. The Hebrew word is almost universally "goyim," (plural of goy) - which means things like outsider, "others", or 'nations.' And, again - of course it's not "100%" - because most of it you can't do anyway. But there is a blessing for "remembering" His moedim (including being more likely to understand when He is coming back) and recognizing that almost everything you CAN do results in better health, and "life".

The etymology of the word 'gentile' makes it equivalent to 'pagan.' Pagans don't obey YHVH anyway. The Hebrew word is almost universally "goyim," (plural of goy) - which means things like outsider, "others", or 'nations.'
Actually.... gentile is from the Latin gentilus and means of the same genes clan or tribe.Screenshot_20230517_215424_Chrome.jpg

The Greek Ethnos would have been less confusing if it had been uniformly translated "nations."

It is comparable to the Hebrew word Goy, and neither word means exclusively heathen, OR NON ISRAELITE.

For concrete proof pick up a concordance and look at how many times the word nation and nations were translated from Goy. It was used of the nation of Israel in the most positive sense possible.

That letter that was old was the Torah, it plainly states this. Gramma
A perfect example of The Conundrum in this list! It’s all so old and burdensome, doom and gloom, killing and death, then suddenly this Gramma can also “make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in ChristJesus.” Doh!

Last edited:
The Greek Ethnos would have been less confusing if it had been uniformly translated "nations."

It is comparable to the Hebrew word Goy, and neither word means exclusively heathen, OR NON ISRAELITE.
Very much correct.

Better stated, the CONNOTATION (in English) is 'pagan'. I find that MOST of the time, "nations" is a MUCH better rendering. But, when those 'nations' are incredibly pagan, the other word fits.

Still, you're right. It is inconsistent.

And Deuteronomy 30 says - even with a bit of Divine Sarcasm - it's NOT too hard for you.
Deuteronomy "might" say "too hard" but that isn't normative of most of the usage of the word "paw-law". And of the 71 times used in scripture almost all of those (50) are Wondrous/marvelous/work. 10 times used as "performing" or misc. And only 5 times translated as "hard". Due to the context of the passage being about the law or understanding of the law being far away and unable to be understood or heard because it is hidden and far off. It's hard for me to accept a minority interpretation when numerous other times in scripture we're told explicitly that following all of the law is impossible and a burden too heavy to bear. It just doesn't stand to reason that this one instance the rational explanation is that "It's easy to do" when clearly keeping all of the law is impossible.

Deu 30:11
For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
Deu 30:12
It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deu 30:13
Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Deu 30:14
But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

So the Deut 30 contortion to mean it's easy doesn't hold water to me. Is there anywhere we are told plainly that the law is easy to keep? Because there are numerous places we are told the opposite. This being a "possible" contradiction of numerous other witnesses tells me interpreting this as the law being easy is reading into the text what you want it to say.

do you want to be "grafted in"?
I am grafted in to Christ. And Israel is not yet. Romans 11 is abundantly clear on that point. I cannot be grafted in to Israel, as they are a branch cast down on the ground for unbelief. Why seek to be grafted into an inferior branch when I'm grafted into the Holy root already?

*edited for clarity*

Last edited:
It's hard for me to accept a minority interpretation when numerous other times in scripture we're told explicitly that following all of the law is impossible and a burden too heavy to bear.
I'm not going to rehash the obvious again. "No He didn't. Yes He did"...ad nauseum."

But it IS one of the Biggest Lies in xtianity, that is NOT in Scripture.

And, again - "which 'law'?"

Is there anywhere we are told plainly that the law is easy to keep?
The word is "torah", and - again! - "law" is a poor rendering, because it is His "teaching and INSTRUCTION," which happens to INCLUDE, but is not limited TO, "statutes, judgments, and commandments."

And it's immaterial as to whether it's "easy" (hey, ever heard, "Life is hard." Well, His Torah is, literally, life. Deuteronomy 30:19) It is for blessing. Easy is for moochers.

As for "burdens," Yahushua was talking about the "Hypocrites!" (as He did, OFTEN.) It was, without argument, their "nomos" which was a burden.

Just read Matthew chapter 23, and Mark chapter 7 (sans the BS additions ca. 300 AD or later...)

Those with "eyes to see" will get it. Others can "reject knowledge" and twist away. But, yeah, Isaiah was right, as He said.

If Jesus was the only one who did it, what do you do about Luke 1:5-6, 5. There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 6. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
If they were "blameless" then they were walking out the Torah completely. Then what about the last book and last chapter of the bible,
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
We see that those who have access to the Tree of Life have done His Commandments. I say this but I also admit that we are saved by faith in Yeshuah but also understand its a heart condition and desire to show our love for the Father by our obedience to His Word.
Deu 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
Jhn 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Just my 2 cents worth.

And, again - "which 'law'?"

And in the last thread this line of argument was put down hard. It's complete b.s. Not that any refutation from scripture of your false beliefs will matter because...

Just read Matthew chapter 23, and Mark chapter 7 (sans the BS additions ca. 300 AD or later...)

You pick and choose your scripture like you pick and choose your theology. You use scripture as a tool to confirm your beliefs, refusing to consider those scriptures, or tossing them out entirely, which do not conform to your preconceived understanding. If the scriptures have not integrity then your faith is without foundation.

You pick and choose your scripture like you pick and choose your theology. You use scripture as a tool to confirm your beliefs, refusing to consider those scriptures, or tossing them out entirely, which do not conform to your preconceived understanding. If the scriptures have not integrity then your faith is without foundation.
Oh, the irony.

There were men who came down from Judea and were teaching Christians they must be circumcised according to the custom/law of Moses. This is what the problem was.

This is the question at hand. Do all believers need to be circumcised and observe the Law of Moses? This is in reference to the Law of Moses, not the oral tradition of the Pharisees. It included the matter of circumcision. These men even included "direct them to observe the Law of Moses". I hear this oft repeated that those who Love God must observe the Law of Moses and that includes circumcision. When I ask, I've gotten snide remarks about how I hate the law, or how I must love some skin on the tip of my cock more than God.

The yoke that their fathers nor they have been able to bear is the Law of Moses. This is attested to elsewhere in the NT as well. You are all familiar with the passages.

Here's the letter that the men ordained by God in the flesh sent to the gentiles instructing them on the matter of observing the Law of Moses and circumcision.

Men were laying a burden to observe all of the Torah and to command believers to be circumcised. The Ruach saw fit to lay no greater burden than this next passage.

I don't see any following portion where Gentiles are commanded to go on to receive the instruction from men that were unsettling people and preaching something different than the Apostles.

I keep hearing that the burden that was too heavy to bear was the traditions. But I've only heard that spoken of men. Where is that in scripture? Because here we see that the scriptures are saying the burden to heavy was the Law of Moses.

I've been trying to learn because my heart is to obey God. But there are so many inconsistencies with "Hebrew roots or Torah keeping" that I'm increasingly unsettled by the teachings that seem to contradict the vast majority of the NT. I'm finding very little to no logic. So I'm here asking for answers to some questions. Hopefully some of you are able to provide answers.
The new circumcision is of the heart - through the Holy Spirit. The Old Testament said there’s going to be a circumcision of the heart. Paul says what makes a Jew isn’t the physical circumcision:

Romans 2:29

No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.

- In regards to obeying the law to the letter. First of all the law is holy and good. But it showed that we were not able to keep it. YHWH giving Israel their own kings also showed no human king will be perfect. That’s why Jesus is our King and high priest. It’s solely through faith in Lord Jesus. And if you have repented and accepted Lord Jesus as your Lord and Savior - God willing - you should receive the Holy Spirit and bear fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians chapter 5 goes into detail the fruit). But it involves many good works. As Christ said - if I am in you then you will bear much good fruit. But these good works should never be for our own glory or for us to exalt ourselves. Absolutely not - we boast in only Lord Jesus. It’s through faith in Lord Jesus. Our good fruit isn’t for salvation - but it’s out of love for Jesus. “If you love me keep my commandments.” He washed us clean with his precious blood and through him we become sanctified through the Holy Spirit regenerating our heart (Titus 3:5). We are not under the mosaic law. Absolutely not. But a lot of the mosaic law shows what is righteous according to our Creator. So we should meditate on it out of love for our creator:

Psalm 1:2-3
But they delight in the law of the LORD,

meditating on it day and night.

3They are like trees planted along the riverbank,

bearing fruit each season.

Their leaves never wither,

and they prosper in all they do.

The new circumcision is of the heart - through the Holy Spirit. The Old Testament said there’s going to be a circumcision of the heart. Paul says what makes a Jew isn’t the physical circumcision:

Romans 2:29

No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.

- In regards to obeying the law to the letter. First of all the law is holy and good. But it showed that we were not able to keep it. YHWH giving Israel their own kings also showed no human king will be perfect. That’s why Jesus is our King and high priest. It’s solely through faith in Lord Jesus. And if you have repented and accepted Lord Jesus as your Lord and Savior - God willing - you should receive the Holy Spirit and bear fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians chapter 5 goes into detail the fruit). But it involves many good works. As Christ said - if I am in you then you will bear much good fruit. But these good works should never be for our own glory or for us to exalt ourselves. Absolutely not - we boast in only Lord Jesus. It’s through faith in Lord Jesus. Our good fruit isn’t for salvation - but it’s out of love for Jesus. “If you love me keep my commandments.” He washed us clean with his precious blood and through him we become sanctified through the Holy Spirit regenerating our heart (Titus 3:5). We are not under the mosaic law. Absolutely not. But a lot of the mosaic law shows what is righteous according to our Creator. So we should meditate on it out of love for our creator:

Psalm 1:2-3
But they delight in the law of the LORD,

meditating on it day and night.

3They are like trees planted along the riverbank,

bearing fruit each season.

Their leaves never wither,

and they prosper in all they do.
Romans 8:9

But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)

Fruit of the Holy Spirit:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Fruit of the flesh:

9 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Polygamy can not be sexual immortality because many men that did good in the eyes of the LORD had multiple wives. My heart being opened to this truth is the fruit of me meditating on the law of the LORD and seeking him out of love.

Heb. 8:6-8 and 13 "6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first [covenant] had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says, "BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH; ... 13 When He said, "A new [covenant,]" He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear."

Jesus enacted a new covenant and the first one is obsolete. Between Acts, Romans, and Hebrews I don't know how God could be clearer that the Old Covenant is no longer binding. That said, if following the Law is the only way to not violate your conscience, the by all means do so. I just don't think it can be bound on others like the Judean men were trying to do in Acts 15 above.

That said, if following the Law is the only way to not violate your conscience, the by all means do so. I just don't think it can be bound on others like the Judean men were trying to do in Acts 15 above.
Amen. There are numerous benefits to following the Law, and a man would be wise to follow those parts he understands, but we are no longer bound to it. That is the crux of the matter. He is the stumbling block of the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles

Amen. There are numerous benefits to following the Law, and a man would be wise to follow those parts he understands, but we are no longer bound to it. That is the crux of the matter. He is the stumbling block of the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles
Nobody here says you "have to keep" it.

Just that there are blessings for trying, and curses for rebellion. Choose.

Nobody here says you "have to keep" it.

Just that there are blessings for trying, and curses for rebellion. Choose.

I don’t recall the list of blessings for those who TRY to keep it.

James 2:10 KJV
[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

When it comes to keeping the law and blessings, do or do not, there is no try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back