• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Buying Polygamy Books and Mailing to Church

It was just an idea, but I agree no changes being made is better. May the Holy Spirit guide them to all truth, and lead them to submit to Lord Jesus Christ.
One wrongly translated verse won't hide polygyny truth from truth seeker. Don't worry about that. It will probably drive such people to find where else have translators made errors.

Getting someone to read anything is better than them reading nothing.
This was actually the only part of the observation that I had an issue with, Samuel.

Reference: 'Negative education.'

It's often harder (as Mark Twain noted, somewhat cynically) to disabuse someone of something that is just wrong, built on a false foundation (ie, 'sand') than it is to start them off right.

Hey, I know...why not just pass out little teeny 'Genesises...'?

At least, especially now, they might see that "male and female He created them." :cool:

One wrongly translated verse won't hide polygyny truth from truth seeker.
Au contraire! I've seen 'em latch onto a bad verse like a Biden on a bribe...

(OK, but I don't wanna argue about the definition of "truth seeker." ;) )

Still, I best most folks here could name half a dozen such verses without taking a breath.

Some of us look back at those (I'll say it - asinine) "Bibles" that are NT/Psalms/Proverbs (as if nothing else matters) with disgust. Why not just build, not upon sand, but, well, NOTHING...not even The Beginning? And forget, "line upon line, precept upon precept."

My testimony, delivered ever since I came to conclude He was REAL, He was TRUE, and He was Who He said He was, is that I didn't "get it" until I DISCARDED the crap I heard in sun-god-day skool, and started over, reading FOR MYSELF, from The Beginning, ALL of His Word.

It's not like we're talking "Fast and Furious, Part 37" where they're all pretty much the same. If you skip all the parts He thought were so important He said right there in Matthew 5 (just before the 'verse in question') that He wasn't gonna change it, "how much more so," to just pretend it doesn't merit being read at all?

Final admission: I hear some Idiot Preacher telling folks to "start at John 1:1" to read 'the Bible,' I wipe the dust off my feet and move on.

PS> And is ANYBODY on this forum still gonna try to pretend you can "understand His Word about marriage" without reading all of it, and building "on the Rock?" And who was that Jacob guy anyway?
I don't agree with starting at the Gospel of John. You first need to come to repentance. How do you come to repentance if you don't hear anything about God's Holy Law?

That's why I believe the Sermon on the Mount is still a great place for someone new to start. This doesn't mean I don't think the Old Testament is important, or I'm trying to negate it. But the person starting at Matthew finally hears the words of Jesus Christ - instead of having pre-disposed ideas from other people/media/churches. It covers a wide range of topics, and cuts straight to the heart. We're introduced to the Golden Rule - treat others as you want to be treated - as this sums up the law and the prophets. We read about the Authority of Jesus - and the evidence of this Authority given to him by the Heavenly Father. We learn no one comes to the Heavenly Father except through his Son, and being sealed by the Holy Spirit. Then you have all the parables, and the Lamb of God laying his own life down for the sins of many.

After I personally finished working my way through the New Testament - I immediately went into Genesis; and finished the entire Old Testament. You can't have the New Testament without the Old Testament. You learn a lot about the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob through the Old Testament. I wouldn't had been pro polygamy if I hadn't read the Old Testament. For the people that finish the New Testament - let the Holy Spirit guide them to all truth, and righteousness. Abraham, Issac, and Jacob did not have the Old or New Testament but are saved.

Last edited:
Hey, I know...why not just pass out little teeny 'Genesises...'?
You can put whatever selection of books you like in a wee pocket book. One selection that would have merit is the Pentateuch, Psalms and Gospels - that would not only be a reasonable introduction, but be valuable in evangelism to Muslims as it contains the exact books that the Quran tells Muslims to read, so could be much easier to get them to open than an entire Bible.

You can put whatever selection of books you like in a wee pocket book. One selection that would have merit is the Pentateuch, Psalms and Gospels - that would not only be a reasonable introduction, but be valuable in evangelism to Muslims as it contains the exact books that the Quran tells Muslims to read, so could be much easier to get them to open than an entire Bible.
I also dislike the use of the little NT/Psalms/Proverbs books. We need the full counsel of God from Genesis to Revelation. I do see your point that they are small and affordable to hand out.

I have also seen full KJV Bibles at the dollar store (super low quality paper and binding), and handout versions of ESV, and NIV elsewhere that probably cost less than $5. In fact, the church we attend keeps a stack of the handout ESV Bibles by the door and will give one to anyone who wants one.

I can see the use of single books (John, Genesis, Deuteronomy, Hebrews, Jeremiah, etc.) for portability and affordability. They would be less useful than a NT/Psalms/Proverbs, but at least you know it is just one book. People wouldn't assume it was all they needed.

I kinda like your idea of a different partial Bible, but instead of Pentateuch, Psalms, and Gospels, would suggest Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Luke, John, Ephesians, Romans, 1 John.

Throwing in some epistles makes more sense than more synoptic Gospels.

Then again, the whole concept of partial Bibles seems really dangerous and presumptuous. It is probably best to stick with the whole Bible, or individual books from the Bible.

It is probably best to stick with the whole Bible, or individual books from the Bible.
Whole printed Bibles are inexpensive and people can download entire study Bibles for free off the net. I agree, complete Bibles are best.

I kinda like your idea of a different partial Bible, but instead of...
If your goal is to encourage an understanding of "marriage as Written," how about Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (ok, the whole Torah ;) ) and then Samuel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Matthew?

(Yeah, save anything from Paul until they're ready for real 'meat'. ;) )

If your goal is to encourage an understanding of "marriage as Written," how about Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (ok, the whole Torah ;) ) and then Samuel, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Matthew?

(Yeah, save anything from Paul until they're ready for real 'meat'. ;) )
I wasn't thinking so much about marriage, more of just a basic introduction to the God of the Bible.

Genesis - background on creation, fall, and history
Exodus - God saves His people out of slavery and claims them
Deuteronomy - overview of God's moral instruction
Psalms - Worship and comfort
Luke and John - Here is the Christ
Romans, Hebrews - Explanation of what Christ has done
1 John - overview of what the Godly life looks like

Overall, I think this is a very bad idea. God gave us the whole Bible, because we need the whole Bible.

I wasn't thinking so much about marriage, more of just a basic introduction to the God of the Bible.

Genesis - background on creation, fall, and history
Exodus - God saves His people out of slavery and claims them
Deuteronomy - overview of God's moral instruction
Psalms - Worship and comfort
Luke and John - Here is the Christ
Romans, Hebrews - Explanation of what Christ has done
1 John - overview of what the Godly life looks like

Overall, I think this is a very bad idea. God gave us the whole Bible, because we need the whole Bible.
God gave us the entire Bible - but not the entire Bible is written directly to us. A lot of it has to be taken in context. For example, someone starting from the beginning may think that Sabbaths are strictly enforced; or keeping the feasts are required for salvation; or being circumcised or avoiding un-clean foods. But how long until they get to Acts 15 which directly deals with this current age and the gentile believers coming into the faith of Christ:

Acts 15:28-29

For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay no greater burden on you than these few requirements: 29 You must abstain from eating food offered to idols, from consuming blood or the meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality. If you do this, you will do well. Farewell.”

The Council dealing with the incoming Gentile believers included Israelites (born and raised under the mosaic law), such as James. They all agreed that it should not be a heavy burden placed upon the gentiles. Paul spoke the same way in his letters; even at one point writing in all caps that the Cross alone can save. The council’s decision not to place a heavy burden on the gentiles echoed this statement from Lord Jesus:

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

The Bible covers so much human history. It has to always be taken into context. The Holy Law is good. Everyone should read the entire Bible. But for a gentile believer I think it’s more important that they start at Matthew for the good news of the Gospel; than starting from Genesis and going through the entire mosaic law and believing that’s required today for salvation.

Last edited:
The Council dealing with the incoming Gentile believers included Israelites (born and raised under the mosaic law), such as James. They all agreed that it should not be a heavy burden placed upon the gentiles. Paul spoke the same way in his letters; even at one point writing in all caps that the Cross alone can save. The council’s decision not to place a heavy burden on the gentiles echoed this statement from Lord Jesus:
So the council decided whether or not new believers should follow Yah’s laws?

That was cute, how you slipped that in there.

God gave us the entire Bible - but not the entire Bible is written directly to us*. A lot of it has to be taken in context. For example, someone starting from the beginning may think that...
...He actually meant what He said when He Wrote it, and said He wasn't changing any of it."

Give it a rest!

Been there, done that, have the twisted T-shirt.

And we can read the actual lesson of Acts 15, too, since v. 21 (surprisingly, skipped above) tells us!

Let's not do this again.

------------------------------------
* PS> Take it up with Paul, since you contradict II Timothy 3:16, so popular SOMETIMES. Consider this a bit of "reproof, correction, and instruction in torah-obedience."

P-PS>
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

His burden IS His instruction!!!! As Written...

Last edited:
God gave us the entire Bible - but not the entire Bible is written directly to us. A lot of it has to be taken in context. For example, someone starting from the beginning may think that Sabbaths are strictly enforced; or keeping the feasts are required for salvation; or being circumcised or avoiding un-clean foods. But how long until they get to Acts 15 which directly deals with this current age and the gentile believers coming into the faith of Christ:

Acts 15:28-29

For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay no greater burden on you than these few requirements: 29 You must abstain from eating food offered to idols, from consuming blood or the meat of strangled animals, and from sexual immorality. If you do this, you will do well. Farewell.”

Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

The Bible covers so much human history. It has to always be taken into context. The Holy Law is good. Everyone should read the entire Bible. But for a gentile believer I think it’s more important that they start at Matthew for the good news of the Gospel; than starting from Genesis and going through the entire mosaic law and believing that’s required today for salvation.
Personally, I believe the gospel of John is a reasonable place for a person to start reading. I think starting in Matthew would also be quite acceptable. Genesis also makes sense. Eventually, we need to be reading all of it. The entire Bible it is beneficial to the believer.

I agree with you that not every instruction applies to us directly. For example, the Lord gave Adam only plants to eat, while we are now permitted to eat meat.

While I largely agree with your point, I was going to point out the Mark, Steve, and Pete won't. Lo and behold, Mark and Steve have already commented on it. 😉

Let's not do this again.
Absolutely agreed. Please guys, we don't have to debate Torah in every thread.
God gave us the entire Bible - but not the entire Bible is written directly to us. A lot of it has to be taken in context.
And we take it in context by reading the entire thing. Simple. Case closed.

So the council decided whether or not new believers should follow Yah’s laws?

That was cute, how you slipped that in there.
There was no Torah for Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. Yet it’s written they are saved.

Jeremiah 31:33

33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The Holy Spirit can renew a man’s heart, and sanctify him.

I was a pagan that never read the word of God. But even during my pagan life - I knew some things in my heart regarding what’s good and what’s bad. For example I knew in my heart if I took a woman’s virginity - I had to marry her. I only found that out years later that it’s written in God’s Holy Law.

Some people attack polygamy by saying Adam and Eve were monogamy. Once again - take it in context. They also walked with no clothes as it was not a fallen world. Who’s walking with no clothes on today? We are living in a fallen world - different age - different circumstances.

Last edited:
...He actually meant what He said when He Wrote it, and said He wasn't changing any of it."

Give it a rest!

Been there, done that, have the twisted T-shirt.

And we can read the actual lesson of Acts 15, too, since v. 21 (surprisingly, skipped above) tells us!

Let's not do this again.

------------------------------------
* PS> Take it up with Paul, since you contradict II Timothy 3:16, so popular SOMETIMES. Consider this a bit of "reproof, correction, and instruction in torah-obedience."

P-PS>

His burden IS His instruction!!!! As Written...
I agree - the entire Bible versus parts of it. All 66 books. Paul says we are to uphold the law. How can someone even understand this instruction we’re to uphold if they have an in-complete Bible?

@Earth_is- why are you trying to restart these debates with @Mark C? As he already said, "Give it a rest". These points have all been make already, and are well off topic for the thread.

I’m considering buying hundreds of books that open up to the truth of polygamy, and mailing them to different churches in my area.

I’ve only read one polygamy book, and that one is:

Jr. Clyde L. Pilkington

The Great Omission: Christendom's Abandonment of the Biblical Family​

I found the book does a good job, and uses good scripture. Is this something recommended, and something allowed to do? I’ve never mailed anything to a church before - I assume to simply look up their address online, and use that address. Thoughts?
Sounds like casting pearls. Church (religious spirit) is usually the most judgemental against it. Maybe cheaper, waterproof pamphlets with scriptures and paste them on poles at different places. Might reach a more open minded audience.

Back