• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Cohabitation?

I've done both, in multiple locations, and had two that were close, but just walking distance.

Same house, IMHO, is much, MUCH better.

(I did once, and have written of it on this forum, have a friend who was an architecture major design a special Multi-Wife Home for a grad project, based on my idea of an ideal, and her interview process. Central living area, multiple kitchens around it, and bedrooms in a star configuration. She got an 'A.')

Is a duplex a possibility? I wonder if a little more private space than a bedroom is needed. Maybe a bedroom with attached bathroom for each, plus a separate sitting room if possible (maybe even separate wings with shared space together under one roof)?
This is not a good solution IMHO. It just creates bad neighbors unless the wives are willing to have heightened respect for space, property, and time.

General question and experience sharing please.

Facts:
- Been 10 years in the same house with my fw.
- Sw sold her house and came at my home, it’s been 10 months.

- sw says she wants her own place and want me to come visit her 1 week, then go back home 1 week. (Because of frictions in the past months and recently)

Question:

Is it, in your experience or thinking, good that a wife get his own place?

I often read that (and heard from Poly families) that it’s best to live in the same house.

Indeed, firstly I think that expanses will double… secondly, having a big house and garden, being busy with animals, having to constantly drive from one place to another is cumbersome. Also, being 1 week at the house, and 1 week at the sw place, will create a deeper separation for both woman when I will be absent.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance.
You moved a wife into the home (kitchen) of another wife. It's likely a turf war with FW having an advantage. Do both have master bedrooms? If not, I think the best decision would be to move together into a different home with enough space for both wives to have master bedrooms and other spaces of their own.

This is not a good solution IMHO. It just creates bad neighbors unless the wives are willing to have heightened respect for space, property, and time.
Interesting, could you expound on this thought more please. I am not sure I totally understand what you are saying is bad.

Interesting, could you expound on this thought more please. I am not sure I totally understand what you are saying is bad.
Living in separate housing under the same roof is IMO very difficult. There is little overlapping labor to take advantage of labor reduction, it's difficult to maintain boundaries of space, schedule, and possessions, and it's difficult to resolve conflict as rules for children may vary.

Walk me through that.

I always thought a nice big double door or archway cut between the two houses seemed a good solution with respect to having a fair amount rooms for everyone, more than in suite bathroom and extra infrastructure like second kitchen and utility room for a large family

Living in separate housing under the same roof is IMO very difficult. There is little overlapping labor to take advantage of labor reduction, it's difficult to maintain boundaries of space, schedule, and possessions, and it's difficult to resolve conflict as rules for children may vary.

Ah...you already explained.

Not sure I follow on the labor portion.

Why would the home being two units make boundaries more difficult and the like more difficult?
In re the rules for kids...that sounds toxic for a family and I don't see how it ties to a duplex vs separate home vs single residence.

In my experience with keeping track of possessions, it is annoying with one home.
I am on the absent-minded side to begin with and if you are sleeping in different bedrooms you are constantly milling round the joint thinking *where the hell are my boots/wsllet/keys/coffee cup* and feeling like a dunce.
If it were multiple residential units I just see it as more challenging

Walk me through that.

I always thought a nice big double door or archway cut between the two houses seemed a good solution with respect to having a fair amount rooms for everyone, more than in suite bathroom and extra infrastructure like second kitchen and utility room for a large family
It would be useful to have some economies of scale. Double kitchen is also double maintenance. Easiest way to achieve scale is having shared rooms

It would be useful to have some economies of scale. Double kitchen is also double maintenance. Easiest way to achieve scale is having shared rooms

Hand waggle

Personally I would prefer a single large kitchen with two cook tops, two ovens and two refrigerators. For that matter I would prefer to buy/build a house with a four car garage. That said, if you cut a big arch through in the kitchen (generally they are back to back because of ease of construction) then it is only a little awkward. You don't have to go all the way round to another unit. Plus it is apt to be less expensive as well as more opportunity to buy than a say 6bd 4bth 4 car garage home. Just a couple of openings and take down some fence and you are good to go. Plus backup if one oven or one clothes dryer is on the fritz.
Easy enough to restore to separate units if you move to bigger and better then turning it in income producing rentals

I've done both, in multiple locations, and had two that were close, but just walking distance.

Same house, IMHO, is much, MUCH better.

(I did once, and have written of it on this forum, have a friend who was an architecture major design a special Multi-Wife Home for a grad project, based on my idea of an ideal, and her interview process. Central living area, multiple kitchens around it, and bedrooms in a star configuration. She got an 'A.')

Not sure if multiple kitchens are needed since if you make nice kitchens with Miele everything, nice granite if will get very expensive very quickly.

Actually this is a questions that had not occurred to me. Do the wifes generally all have separate bedrooms and the husband visits each separate, or is is more conman that they share a bedroom?

Not sure if multiple kitchens are needed since if you make nice kitchens with Miele everything, nice granite if will get very expensive very quickly.

Actually this is a questions that had not occurred to me. Do the wifes generally all have separate bedrooms and the husband visits each separate, or is is more conman that they share a bedroom?
From what I’ve read from this forum, some share the same bedroom, some have each theirs and the husband go round each bedroom.

In our current setup, each of my wives have their own room, and I switch bedrooms each week.

From what I’ve read from this forum, some share the same bedroom, some have each theirs and the husband go round each bedroom.

In our current setup, each of my wives have their own room, and I switch bedrooms each week.

I am not sure what I would prefer, I guess it depends on how one gets along with the other. It could actually be more comforting to be together with the other woman. I am not sure if I would want someone else to be present when I get mounted. That could be awkward.

Oh boy...
Have not read the replies but I wager they will cover the gamut.

I have talked to families who share bedrooms and beds, ones where wives have their own rooms, ones where there are separate houses, ones where the husband has a room and the ladies share a room and go to the husband on their night.
I am not sure if I am the odd man out or not in that my belief and how I have run plural marriage is one home with the women having their own rooms. Rooms being set aside for children and I do not have my own room but an interest in my wives rooms... and never being able to figure out where to find this item of clothing or my wallet etc etc.

Every family will think their idea is the best one.
Just one of those things to discuss while getting to know a family

What we do now...two adjoining MBs, I move around a lot...

(We would ALL like a bigger kitchen - sadly, that's just not an option...)

Back