• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Dallas Retreat!, Jan 24-26th, 2014

Drum circles: LIKE!

Have clavs, will travel! :lol:

(Lost most everything else a year ago.)

Oh! And egg shakers!

Well, this looks promising! We already have a djembe, tambourine, claves, and shakers (and I know from Dallas we have several more guitar players), before you get to whatever toys we might bring, and we're not even trying! Looks like TN could be noisy! :lol:

Way Cool... :cool: Very Exciting! :p I can hardly wait...Anybody have a time machine???? :lol:

Ummm ... Also trumpet & Flugel horn.

Hands don't work very well for keyboard and guitar anymore after too many years of poorly controlled diabetes. Good memories, though. *wry grin*

Joyful noise, baby! That's what I am talkin' about! If you need any extra vocals, guitar or keyboards, give a yell.

Our family can volunteer vocals, flute, banjo, drums (set and solo styles), dulcimer, xylophone... we can play at a bit more but make music on these.

CecilW said:
Ummm ... Also trumpet & Flugel horn.
Cecil, do you have horns? I have to ask because so many people give it up after high school or college and end up selling their horns....

This might be getting just a little bit awesome. ;) We've had vision for a long time for "tabernacle worship" (that's what I think of it as, anyway...), very participatory and inclusive, and while we've pulled off large acoustic groups before (guitars, flutes, percussion, etc.), it'd also be fun to put together a large ensemble made up of anyone who's willing to learn a few charts and bring an instrument. Could be very powerful.

One of the crazier things I've been involved in was a worship conference about 15 years ago in Mobile, AL, called "Thunder in the Bay". About 1200 people, of whom about 20-25 of us brought full drum sets (including myself and one of my sons), and most everybody else had hand drums, tambourines, ankle bells, shofars, and whatever. Talk about loud and crazy! It was crazy cool, though, and on a personal note it was the last significant prophetic event for my family before we took the plural plunge after eight months of study and prayer.

Anyway, it seems we have a regular orchestra coming out of the woodwork, here, and I can't wait to see what God puts together for worship. Sometime about halfway between now and the TN retreat (so say April, then...), I'll open a thread to start discussing who's bringing what to the TN event, and once we get that more or less situated we can figure out song selection and lead sheets so we can all show up ready to worship. Can't wait!

Evening,
The retreat was a much needed refilling of the things my soul was short on! It gave me hope and filled me with the Spirit of the Lord. The music was a very big PLUS!! It was like the ice cream on an iced cake. I appreciate all who shared and the people working behind the scenes to make the retreat as awesome as it was. I was really

excited to meet a lot of new women that I hope to see at a Ladies Retreat that we have in October.. Looking forward to seeing some of yall at the retreat in Tennessee!
I am Blessed!
Annette

andrew said:
Cecil, do you have horns? I have to ask because so many people give it up after high school or college and end up selling their horns....

And a tail and cloven hooves, according to some ... :lol:

Got an antique pocket trumpet and a rather nice silver Flugel horn. A little egyptian silver drum (well, prolly aluminum), a Melodica, and several hand instruments. Oh, a Shofar and a set of concert bells with a custom stand so that they can be conveniently played while standing in a worship team.

Everything else, including other horns, drums (A 16 or 18" Djembe, Congas, Bongoes, and a decent kit), a whole bunch of smaller rhythm items (whole set of bamboo "hand bells, tuned wood blocks, Afuche, ... you name it), amp, a variety of guitars, basses, ukuleles, banjo, mandolin, violins, keyboards (synths, pianos, accordians), and other band instruments (including a sousaphone) have involuntarily gone by the wayside over the last few years.

Life has taken some odd turns since the early 2000s ... One might say, "since I chose to follow God wherever He led, regardless of human approval or disapproval" in the late 90s ... Some outcomes are sad at present, but I'm more than happy with the choice! :)

However, I still have a big voice, and some say it doesn't sound too scratchy. ;)

CecilW said:
andrew said:
And a tail and cloven hooves, according to some ... :lol:
Good one! :lol:

CecilW said:
Got an antique pocket trumpet and a rather nice silver Flugel horn. A little egyptian silver drum (well, prolly aluminum), a Melodica, and several hand instruments. Oh, a Shofar and a set of concert bells with a custom stand so that they can be conveniently played while standing in a worship team.
That sounds fun!

CecilW said:
Everything else, including other horns, drums (A 16 or 18" Djembe, Congas, Bongoes, and a decent kit), a whole bunch of smaller rhythm items (whole set of bamboo "hand bells, tuned wood blocks, Afuche, ... you name it), amp, a variety of guitars, basses, ukuleles, banjo, mandolin, violins, keyboards (synths, pianos, accordians), and other band instruments (including a sousaphone) have involuntarily gone by the wayside over the last few years.

Life has taken some odd turns since the early 2000s ... One might say, "since I chose to follow God wherever He led, regardless of human approval or disapproval" in the late 90s ... Some outcomes are sad at present, but I'm more than happy with the choice! :)

However, I still have a big voice, and some say it doesn't sound too scratchy. ;)
Funny the things we leave behind....

Will you be at the TN retreat?

andrew said:
Will you be at the TN retreat?
Dunno. We'll see. Intended to be at Dallas, but the best laid plans ...

Yeah, know how that goes. Guess we'll see as it gets closer.

It is wonderful to hear how well this retreat went, particularly for the new folk. Hopefully this thread helps to encourage even more to come to Tennessee. I plan to be there, I only wish it wasn't so far away and I could bring the family too.

I have bagpipes, but they're a pain to bring on a plane sadly. I'll just have to make do with my voice, but that's loud enough on it's own! Looking forward to it.

In the vein of 'Rise and Shine,' I will say that until recently I was unable to articulate what I expected from this 220 retreat and what I experienced. For me, I expected good folks with some median level of awareness, the type of awareness you would see maybe in a typical social event or church group. What I experienced was engaged souls who were open to ideas and thirsty for life and shining! In essence everyone that I meet or with which I spoke or with whom I observed left me with an impression of operating at a higher awareness and a higher spiritual level.
Thank you all for sharing your portion of light with me.

--bill (aka qwnsknight)

Calling all Texas Biblical Families:

In the afterglow of the D/FW retreat, our family is considering hosting a monthly meetup in Central Texas. For more information, please PM me on this site.

Hi all. First time posting.

At the Dallas retreat there was a man named David who was black and had a white wife. I wanted to find out more about his experiences as a biracial couple in regards to polygyny. Does anyone know if he is on this forum?

Back