• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Great/inspirational quotes

"Wasn't there an early Mormon deceiver named Bringem Young? - or something like that?" Frank S
While Brigham got some things wrong, he also got some things right... kinda like the church....

"Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me"
Psalm 119:98

"For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist"
Luke 21:15

A wise Enemy is better then a foolish friend.

"A wise enemy is who brings the best out of you.
He who brings challenges to your life and increases your level of thinking to outclass your enemy.
Despite being an enemy he is beneficial to us and raises our standards.

whereas

A foolish friend decreases our capabilities and degrades us with his unwanted company which therefore decreases our state of mind"
Unknown

Last edited:
If I'm correct I think this is from Leonard Ravenhill. If you're not suffering persecution you are living below Kingdom standards.

If I'm correct I think this is from Leonard Ravenhill. If you're not suffering persecution you are living below Kingdom standards.
I like some Ravenhill. We need some Tozer and Spurgeon on here too. Can't have a quote thread without the Prince of Preachers making the list.

It is not necessary for a man to be actively bad in order to make a failure in life; simple inaction will accomplish it. Nature has everywhere written her protest against idleness; everything which ceases to struggle toward an ideal, the constant effort to get higher and further, which develops manhood and character.
James Terry White

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

A single conversation across the table with a wise man is better than ten years mere study of books.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

True prayer is neither a mere mental exercise nor a vocal performance. It is far deeper than that - it is spiritual transaction with the Creator of Heaven and Earth.

Charles Spurgeon

I believe the holier a man becomes, the more he mourns over the unholiness which remains in him.
Charles Spurgeon

Praise is the rehearsal of our eternal song. By grace we learn to sing, and in glory we continue to sing.
Charles Spurgeon

You are no saint,' says the devil. Well, if I am not, I am a sinner, and Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. Sink or swim, I go to Him; other hope, I have none.

Charles Spurgeon

“I can safely say, on the authority of all that is revealed in the Word of God, that any man or woman on this earth who is bored and turned off by worship is not ready for heaven.”
― A.W. Tozer

“Sometimes I go to God and say, "God, if Thou dost never answer another prayer while I live on this earth, I will still worship Thee as long as I live and in the ages to come for what Thou hast done already. God’s already put me so far in debt that if I were to live one million millenniums I couldn’t pay Him for what He’s done for me.”
― A.W. Tozer

I will end with that as 3 a.m. comes early. Goodnight brothers and sisters

Does a tree make a noise when it falls in the forest if there is no one to hear it?

Better question, is there a forest if there is no one to see it?

"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Robert Jastrow
That's a favorite of mine too!

A wise Enemy is better then a foolish friend.

That makes me think of a similar one from the Narnia series:
"Has not one of the poets said that a noble friend is the best gift and a noble enemy the next best?"

"You take a mortal man/you put him in control/watch him become a god/watch people's heads a'roll"
-Dave Mustaine on power and human nature

Hard men make for good times. Good times make for soft men. Soft men make for hard times.
I love this one.

‘There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know’.
John Heywood

Back