• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello! -- an introduction and a Bible Question while I'm at it

Luke S

Real Person
Male
Hello, my name is Luke,

I decided to join this community for a few different reasons, one of which being that I enjoy getting to see what some of y'all's perspectives are in regards to a lot of topics most Christians in my circles like to steer clear of. Thus far, I've really appreciated the resources herein and this seems like an excellent community to be a part of.

For that cause, I would like to introduce myself and explain a little bit of my journey here. I was actually raised Catholic in a Catholic family, that's pretty much all I knew for most of my childhood. During that time, I didn't really have a solid grasp on the gospel or of the faith or of anything, really. Around middle school, my dad got real mad at the preist or something and we became church gypsies for a while, eventually landing at a non-denominational mega-church in Texas. I believe that it was there that I got saved, but if nothing else that was at least where I began to desire to follow God, and really began to walk with Him. That was probably nine years ago, and God has grown me immensely since then. A few years after, we had moved across the country and I had lost everything I had built myself up in. This allowed me to be built back up in my relationship with God, since I had lost everything else. Years go by, and I'm growing more and more in my faith. Come high school graduation, and I left for Bible college, where I was really able to learn a lot and grow exceedingly as well. This was due to a lot of factors, not the least of which being that I was exposed to real scriptural study, and most things I was learning I had never really been properly exposed to before, having gone primarily to surface-level milky studies in the past.

A couple years ago, I moved to Montana with my wife, where I was able to grow and learn even more. I was able to apply much of what I had learned previously. One of these things I had learned at Bible college -- a real, applicable appreciation and valuing of my family in Christ. I can't thank God enough for this lesson. I was also able to question a lot of things I had been taught prior. Good friends I have made here have been able to challenge me on my beliefs in a lot of ways, and, over the past couple years, I have been able to change a lot of things I had previously held to, albeit improperly.

This brings me to why I'm here, lol. As you can probably imagine, one of these many things was the doctrine of polygyny. I had started really studying it a year ago (in all honesty, my intentions were to try to establish a biblical case against it), and have, over the course of a year, completely flipped in my view of the matter. I had realized I had persecuted a belief that characterizes the very God I serve. Now, of all the doctrines of mine that I have changed over the past four years, this one has come with the greatest price. After my good friends here became polygynists, I supported them in the matter. My wife asked me to completely cut off all ties to these good brethren of ours, and I refused. I had already given them my word that I wouldn't do such a thing, what she was asking me to do seemed entirely hateful and unloving, and I honestly believe that it would be wrong to cut off, cast our, and/or deny brotherhood to a brother or sister in Christ who is not in sin. For this, she left me. For this, I stand at odds with me parents and extended biological family. For this, I stand at odds with nearly all my friends and nearly my entire church community. But I will not compromise on God's truth.

My friends pointed out this site to me, I have found your resources to be quite intriguing and your sense of community quite admirable. So, here I stand, a recently-made-single/separated man with a heart for God and a desire to serve. I'm happy to be a part of this community, and I'm eager to see what God has in store.

In His blessings, in His name, Amen!

Oh, and that Bible question I mentioned earlier in the title -- I figured I'd start us off with a fun query. I haven't yet developed a side, but I'm quite curious to see what y'all's thoughts are on the matter!

So, the question involves how we as the church are to handle our widows, particularly those under the age of sixty who have not been married more than once.

What brought about this question was 1 Corinthians 7:39. Wherein this is the widow permitted to be married to whom she will, only in the Lord. Now, we know from 1 Timothy chapter 5 that it is better for the younger widows to remarry. Now, using Levirate marriage as a precedent and principle, with both ideas in application, should the widow be permitted to approach any eligible brother in the church with the expectation to be taken as wife? Now, 1 Corinthians 7:39 in conjunction with Paul's comment on Titus about not being concerned with genealogies, with possible support from Romans 7, I would say that she is not expected to marry a bilogical brother of the deceased (hence the "whom she will in the Lord, which makes sense anyway since that's a higher calling in Christ than our biological relatives). As well, as a concession she cannot force the chosen man to marry her, and, just like in Levirate marriage, the man has the ability to refuse. However, if we apply this this was, this could be to the man's shame, leaving a biblical expectation put upon the approached man to take the widow whom is his sister in Christ as a wife, thus fulfilling James 1:17, as well as Paul's wish in 1 Timothy 5:14.

Now, I have not fully developed this idea, but I encourage feedback! Do we as the church tell the widow to simply select a husband from the men available (obvious exceptions, those not available, would be those such as direct relatives, Leviticus 18)? Do we not implement such practice for the widows with sons who are able to provide for them? Is it preferred practice? Is this entire idea complete hogwash? Let's look into the Scriptures together!

Welcome! That must’ve been difficult to stand your ground against your wife who chose to leave on the decision. I pray her eyes and heart in time will open and peace in your heart remains regardless.
I second this and pray that her heart will become unhardened.

My only immediate response about widows is that I believe each widow of any age would be blessed to be comprehensively covered. I guess, though, when you use the word 'approach,' I would just caution that a widow not do so in a demanding way, but I believe I'm not out of line in saying that most in this organization consider widows being taken care of to be a huge part of the ministry of polygyny.

So, the question involves how we as the church are to handle our widows, particularly those under the age of sixty who have not been married more than once.
Awesome introduction, thank you. Glad you found us and hope we can be an encouragement in light of your wife's rejection of the truth. Some of us here have fought those battles, and also with church assemblies and family.

You and I may have a different understanding of 1 Timothy 5:9; if that's the passage you are basing your question on regarding married only once, but yes; any believing widow should be free to marry any appropriate man, and I might direct her to e.g. the example of Ruth.

Excellent introduction with a bounce straight into a relevant discussion!
You address what I refer to as the capitalism of polygyny. Where a woman has options. As opposed to a more controlled system of one to one and no more.
Like @frederick I have a bit of a different understanding on 1Timothy 5:9 and also I see the age thing as a bit more extended than just 60. I think that people are living longer nowadays.
In addition to the example of Ruth, I would offer Isaiah 4:1. I believe that they made their choice based upon his example of leading his existing family, that is why they offer to support themselves.

Welcome Luke! The LORD knows those who fear Him, those who tremble at His word. I pray that He will richly bless you for holding fast to His written word in the face of opposition and great loss.

Your account reminded me of Luke 18:29-30 where our Master Jesus Christ told His disciples that fidelity to Him will be rewarded.

"And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Luke 6:22-23
"Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets."

Luke 14:26
“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple."

These passages all apply to following Jesus Christ in general (not polygyny). Still, I think they also apply to the one who suffers opposition and loss for standing firm on Biblical truth out of love and faithfulness to Jesus Christ.

I will pray that the Lord will convince your wife, parents, family, and friends of Biblical truth, and that they will be reconciled to you.

I also pray that the Lord will guide, instruct, bless, and protect you.

Wow! I just noticed that the passages I referenced all came from the book of Luke, and your name is Luke. ☺️

What brought about this question was 1 Corinthians 7:39. Wherein this is the widow permitted to be married to whom she will, only in the Lord. Now, we know from 1 Timothy chapter 5 that it is better for the younger widows to remarry. Now, using Levirate marriage as a precedent and principle, with both ideas in application, should the widow be permitted to approach any eligible brother in the church with the expectation to be taken as wife? Now, 1 Corinthians 7:39 in conjunction with Paul's comment on Titus about not being concerned with genealogies, with possible support from Romans 7, I would say that she is not expected to marry a bilogical brother of the deceased (hence the "whom she will in the Lord, which makes sense anyway since that's a higher calling in Christ than our biological relatives). As well, as a concession she cannot force the chosen man to marry her, and, just like in Levirate marriage, the man has the ability to refuse. However, if we apply this this was, this could be to the man's shame, leaving a biblical expectation put upon the approached man to take the widow whom is his sister in Christ as a wife, thus fulfilling James 1:17, as well as Paul's wish in 1 Timothy 5:14.

Now, I have not fully developed this idea, but I encourage feedback! Do we as the church tell the widow to simply select a husband from the men available (obvious exceptions, those not available, would be those such as direct relatives, Leviticus 18)? Do we not implement such practice for the widows with sons who are able to provide for them? Is it preferred practice? Is this entire idea complete hogwash? Let's look into the Scriptures together!

Welcome! And welcome to @James Pease as well!

First, I would argue that the exclusion of widows "married more than once" is a misrendering. Paul rather commanding that she had been a faithful wife, regardless of the number of husbands. I think that this is both grammatically sound as well as contextually supported--for example, what would we say of the Christian woman who was once a "younger" widow who now finds herself widowed-again but now 'beyond the age of marriage' (a state not at all unheard of). Well, she was to 'be enrolled.' As a related aside, this was the genesis of what-today we call deaconesses--older widows who were taken care of (headship under overseers and deacons, food, clothing, shelter) by the church and thus devoted themselves to service "mercy works" such as making clothing, caring for the sick and young orphans, etc. Of course, as with so many things, this would eventually come to be corrupted by asceticism and eventually be joined to the concept of monasticism.

Anyway, to your question, your idea is not hogwash. In fact, quite the opposite. What Paul had in mind with older widows was a kind of welfare. They were provided for and so turned their hands to a rather unique and beautiful service to their congregations and communities (remember that orphanages, hospitals, soup kitchens, etc. did not exist at this time).

Now, as far as nuts and bolts here, polygyny is neither commanded nor forbidden (it's an "adiaphora"); while marriage can be argued to be a commanded estate (1 Cor 7:2), but I'm not entirely convinced of either side of that argument at this time. Nevertheless, because we're in the realm of adiaphora here, I think you're hitting the nail rather squarely in its head.

IF we are to care for the widow and the orphan (which would include covenantal widows and orphans), and there IS a commanded mechanism to do so for the 60+ year old widows, then it falls upon the people to directly provide this care. Hence, while I would argue that polygyny and/or adoption BEST meets this care, I don't think we can charge folks with being sinful by exercising other means (that is, to not marry/adopt them but still otherwise provide).

To be more specific, in my opinion, the best advice to them is 'get married.'

Ah, but that's the real rub, isn't it? Convincing them (and our men) is proving...an interesting endeavor--at least for me. 😂

Btw: 4.5 years ago I added a 65 year old woman to my family, so this is not at all theoretical.
I am older than dirt, though. I wouldn’t expect anyone who is 20 years my junior to do the same.

That's still a glorious and CHRISTIAN act, brother. May God richly bless you!
Thank you, I do believe that He has.
My household has been able to minister in ways that wouldn’t be possible without her.

Welcome Luke! May you find some good things here.

Shalom and welcome, Luke.

You may be interested in a paper I wrote a couple years ago:

Welcome! That must’ve been difficult to stand your ground against your wife who chose to leave on the decision. I pray her eyes and heart in time will open and peace in your heart remains regardless.
Thank you, really, I greatly appreciate it, and it has been difficult, in all honesty I believe God spared me a good deal of the heartache for the beginning, but now and more recently I do feel like I am feeling the heaviness of it moreso.

I second this and pray that her heart will become unhardened.

My only immediate response about widows is that I believe each widow of any age would be blessed to be comprehensively covered. I guess, though, when you use the word 'approach,' I would just caution that a widow not do so in a demanding way, but I believe I'm not out of line in saying that most in this organization consider widows being taken care of to be a huge part of the ministry of polygyny.
Thank you as well, brother!

Oh, and I didn't mean to exclude older widows by any means, I was more trying to start the conversation with the scope of widows whom do not qualify for church widow status, as the older widows who do qualify have that in place should they choose not to marry, though certainly would have the option to do so. And I agree as well that no widow should approach for marriage in a way that is demanding not entitled, I was more asking from the perspective of how the responsibility of covering the widow should be metted out.

Back