• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Hello from the Nystrom

cnystrom

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I joined BF over 10 years ago. I am not sure if I have an Introduction on here or not.

Anyway, my Polygamy Central Texas group just passed 500 members, and to celebrate that fact I wrote an bio over there. I will re-post it here for your amusement. There is a lot more that could be said, but it is already too long.

--
When I first started this group most of the people knew my wife and I. Since then a lot of people have joined that I do not know. I thought I would use this occasion of 500 members to do a re-introduction.

I am a 58 year old Christian. I have a good job in the tech industry. I have been married to my dear wife Ruth Ann for over 37 years. We have 5 children, 2 still living at home. I have one granddaughter so far.

I supposed I have never really been a one woman kind of man. Whenever I was in a relationship with a woman, it never really stopped me from being attracted to another one and wanting to get to know her. However, when I got married I accepted the narrative of one woman per man without really questioning it or looking into it. I was aware of polygamy in the Bible, but considered it a strange anachronism.

In fact I remember once defending marriage as being for one man and one woman on usenet back in the 90s when this atheist was saying that he was for "Biblical Marriage", but did not think his girlfriend would go for it.

Things changed for us when my wife and I started watching "Big Love", the HBO show that came out in 2006. We loved it right from the start and I remember my wife remarking that she wished it was more socially acceptable. From that I started poking around on the internet and found Christians who supported polygamy and I started studying their positions and watching online debates about the topic. It did not take me long to realize that the polygamists seemed to have better arguments and before long I began to take the same position.

I have been active on and off for over 10 years with Biblical Families: (https://www.biblicalfamilies.org/)

I have met many plural families and they are all very nice. It takes a lot of character to make a plural family work, so those that are successful are usually high character people and fun to be around. There are more around than you might think (including a number of them in this group), but they lay low for obvious reasons.

I have flirted with adding a second wife on three occasions. The first was a single mother who was on Biblical Families for a while and she got to chatting with me and we chatted online for almost a year. I used to work the weekend night shift and it was very slow and we used to chat a lot. Anyway sort of out of the blue she announced that she thought that God wanted her to marry me. I think she felt like she knew me better than I felt I knew her. She was very secretive on Facebook and I was very open. I didn't even know what she looked like. However she was a good conversationalist and I was interested. She lived up in Dallas so I suggested that my wife and I go up and meet her for coffee. She balked at that. She wanted to meet me alone. I balked at that because I felt like I did not really know her that well. You know when women say "friends, first" don't you believe it. They often want romance first. Anyway it sort of went downhill from there and she ended up unfriending me. I have often thought that if you can't have a serious discussion and stay friends you were never really friends anyway. Not sure what happened to her, but I wish her well.

The second was a single mother that I met on the Sister Wives dating site (the only real prospect I found on there). We compared notes and found out that we had a lot in common. I agreed to bring my family to her church and then go out for dinner afterwards. She wanted to keep it on the down low, because she was being supported by her church and she was afraid that she would lose her support. The first date was a lot of fun. She was really cute, because she was really nervous. She came in and gave my wife a big hug when they first met (good move!). We had a great dinner. She almost seemed too good to be true. We want out a couple more times after that. It was not long before I noticed that she was sort of autistic. Anyway she decided that I was not her type, and we called it off. She is still a good family friend and I am still fond of her.

Lastly, I was good friends with a single mom and a family of kids. We had known her for about 8 years. I really enjoyed her company and that of her kids, but she kind of rubbed my wife the wrong way. Also she has had a child with another man and they were often in contention about raising him. While polygamy is not often prosecuted it can be used against in certain cases, like custody hearings. For these reasons I thought she was not a good candidate, so I tried to keep my distance from her, but on the other hand I was super attracted to her. The chemistry was undeniable and seemed to grow even when I did not see her. For example if I had not seen her in 6 months it seemed like we had seen each other the whole time. One thing led to another and one night I took her to dinner and asked her to marry me. She did not have a polygamy background so I gave her time to think about it. My wife was not happy at first, but she agreed to welcome her into the family. At this point I thought I was going to be a polygamist. But then it seemed like my potential was not sure. So I kept trying to get a yes answer from her, but she was unable to make a decision. One night she asked me to come over and promised me an answer, but still she did not answer. It got complicated and went downhill from there. We went back and forth and then eventually stopped talking. That was a little over 2 years ago. I heard from her during the pandemic last month or so. But the conversation went downhill again and we have stopped talking again.

Also, I once officiated a polygamist wedding when a good friend decided to take a second wife. That relationship did not last, so if I ever agree to do it again I think I will demand to do pre-marital counseling!

Where are we at now? I am still open to it, but not really working to make it happen. I am content with my life as it is now and content to leave it to God's will. I often say in polygamy groups that "I have room in my house, I have room in my family, and I have room in my heart.". I still feel this way, but God only knows if someone will ever fill that space. In the meantime we got a cute puppy.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Great stuff brother!
You’re a stud and a legend in my book bruh... Blessings on your family!
Shalom!

If only the ladies thought so, too! ;)
Oh, don't start convincing yourself of that canard, my dear brother. An inverse relationship may even exist between those women who would see you as a hot property and those women who are willing to share a hot property. I'm speaking of a pattern I noticed back when I was wasting my time and energy on the dating sites: the vast majority of the women who pursued contact with me for the purpose of something permanent fell into one of two mutually-exclusive categories:
  • Women who thought I was the cat's meow but were only interested in pursuing something serious if I were to get rid of my current wife; and
  • Women who were willing to seriously consider sharing me but never gave me any cues indicating that they had any significant attraction to me as an individual man.
That my date for Palatka (only a handful of you will know what I'm referring to) was an exception and qualified on both counts is the only reason she made it to that adventure.

The millennia of anti-polygamy propaganda and stigma have produced our current circumstances, in which the category of single women most likely to be open to being a sister wife are those who are desperate.

Hear me clearly: I'm just saying this is the category most likely to be open to it, and that characterization does not apply to the majority of women we know in Biblical Families. First of all, my assertion in the previous paragraph is made in reference to single women . . . to potential mates who are currently mate-free (the assertion is irrelevant to the courageous wives we have who have opened up their hearts). I'm also not saying that this is just a matter of everyone else assuming these women must be desperate -- the women themselves see themselves as desperate, and, as such, if they aren't also low sensation seekers by disposition, they have given up on being able to land a man who gets their fire burning.

I know you're mostly just kidding around, @cnystrom, my beloved friend, but if you are (or anyone else is) at all serious about thinking that you've lost enough sex appeal to spark that kindling, just imagine this thought experiment (or get permission from your wife to go out there some night at SXSW): take off that wedding ring and present yourself to the world as a single man. I thoroughly believe you'd be surprised at the amount of women you'd have to fight off with a stick.

If only the ladies thought so, too! ;)
You had three of them! May I humbly suggest some mole removal and some ab exrecises? Oh wait! Look who's talking! I might have a spare tire to lose myself!

Oh, don't start convincing yourself of that canard, my dear brother. An inverse relationship may even exist between those women who would see you as a hot property and those women who are willing to share a hot property. I'm speaking of a pattern I noticed back when I was wasting my time and energy on the dating sites: the vast majority of the women who pursued contact with me for the purpose of something permanent fell into one of two mutually-exclusive categories:
  • Women who thought I was the cat's meow but were only interested in pursuing something serious if I were to get rid of my current wife; and
  • Women who were willing to seriously consider sharing me but never gave me any cues indicating that they had any significant attraction to me as an individual man.
That my date for Palatka (only a handful of you will know what I'm referring to) was an exception and qualified on both counts is the only reason she made it to that adventure.

The millennia of anti-polygamy propaganda and stigma have produced our current circumstances, in which the category of single women most likely to be open to being a sister wife are those who are desperate.

Hear me clearly: I'm just saying this is the category most likely to be open to it, and that characterization does not apply to the majority of women we know in Biblical Families. First of all, my assertion in the previous paragraph is made in reference to single women . . . to potential mates who are currently mate-free (the assertion is irrelevant to the courageous wives we have who have opened up their hearts). I'm also not saying that this is just a matter of everyone else assuming these women must be desperate -- the women themselves see themselves as desperate, and, as such, if they aren't also low sensation seekers by disposition, they have given up on being able to land a man who gets their fire burning.

I know you're mostly just kidding around, @cnystrom, my beloved friend, but if you are (or anyone else is) at all serious about thinking that you've lost enough sex appeal to spark that kindling, just imagine this thought experiment (or get permission from your wife to go out there some night at SXSW): take off that wedding ring and present yourself to the world as a single man. I thoroughly believe you'd be surprised at the amount of women you'd have to fight off with a stick.
Possible solutions to that dillemma:

1) Ad campaign (can anyone hear a faint echo of the phrase "Married men are better"?)
2) Pro-polygamy meetup groups (Chris is on top of that, and we do have retreats)
3) A church that preaches the truth about Biblical marriage (still working on that)
4) Recruiting and equipping single ladies that come to Biblical Families, to where they are able to pursuade some of their single lady friends (Benefits of polygamy for women)

You had three of them!

Actually, I never had any of the three. The defining characteristic of having a woman is if she will follow you. The first women would not follow my suggestion to get together for coffee. The second one just decided that she was not interested at all after a few dates (although it may have just been cold feet), and the third and last one would not follow my suggestion to get married. As long as they are independent steaming and not following then they are not yours. :)

P.S. For extra credit look up "compliance testing". It is a "game" term. If she follows your compliance testing she is yours. If you follow her compliance test (called by another name when a woman is doing it) you fail the test. :)

Actually, I never had any of the three. The defining characteristic of having a woman is if she will follow you. The first women would not follow my suggestion to get together for coffee. The second one just decided that she was not interested at all after a few dates (although it may have just been cold feet), and the third and last one would not follow my suggestion to get married. As long as they are independent steaming and not following then they are not yours. :)

P.S. For extra credit look up "compliance testing". It is a "game" term. If she follows your compliance testing she is yours. If you follow her compliance test (called by another name when a woman is doing it) you fail the test. :)
I looked up "compliance testing", and all indications are that it is a software term (I should know that). All I know, is that you have to follow wherever the Lord leads you. I know that He would never lead you to an unbeliever or a Mormon, or some Mormon offshoot, as clearly that would not be in accordance with His will.

I intentionally left off my suggestion list, 5) starting a cult that teaches that the way to get to the third level of heaven, and acheive godhood or goddesshood, is to have three wives. As effective as that may be, it most certainly does not align with the truth, and there is an inherent danger for a woman who might be interested in joining one of those families, in that the man may not be a good husband, but his wives are not likely to warn any potential future wife, of the issues this man (who is supposedly preparing for godhood) may have, when it comes to actually loving his wives, as that would jeopardize, at least in their minds, their chances of becoming a goddess.

All I know, is that you have to follow wherever the Lord leads you. I know that He would never lead you to an unbeliever or a Mormon, or some Mormon offshoot, as clearly that would not be in accordance with His will.
Well, my hubby went against his dad's advice, and I guess against the will of God too when he married me. I was raised mormon and it took me a while to actually separate what I knew was true about God from the church stuff it got mixed up with in my raising.

I'd suggest rethinking how big our God is rather then boxing His will up in an absolute idea from a mortal understanding. :)

Well, my hubby went against his dad's advice, and I guess against the will of God too when he married me. I was raised mormon and it took me a while to actually separate what I knew was true about God from the church stuff it got mixed up with in my raising.

I'd suggest rethinking how big our God is rather then boxing His will up in an absolute idea from a mortal understanding. :)
I am not believing that he went against Yah’s will.:)

Last edited:

Unfortunately, too often, it goes the other way around, where the husband is the Mormon, and the wife or wives are not, and it doesn't usually work out so well. There is a reason why Scripture says that we are not to marry into heathen families or give our daughters in marriage to them. Missionary dating does work sometimes, but I have seen where it can set a godly man up for heartbreak.

Reactions: Yan
Missionary dating does work sometimes, but I have seen where it can set a godly man up for heartbreak.

**Derail** ;)
Since there seem to be many more women associated with churches, the usual situation is a Christian woman marrying a non-Christian man (even though he's a nice guy!) and ending up in a spirituality unhealthy predicament. And this site has more than a few testimonials to the heartache that results.

And we now return to @cnystrom and the introduction.

Sorry about the derailing of your thread. I did thoroughly enjoy your short bio of your journey. I appreciate your outlook and humor too!

May your family, grandbabies and puppy be well! :)

...and ending up in a spirituality unhealthy predicament.
Especially when you consider the authority of the home. When it comes to Mormonism, I can only think of one other organization that inserts itself as an authority in the home more intrusively than Mormonism and its offshoots, and that would be the JW organization. I don't think NAR is a healthy offshoot of Christianity, yet Mormonism is far more intrusive than NAR. However, I suppose that if @cnystrom or any of the other BF men were to find a nice AUB or FLDS lady, who is able to understand the gospel message, man it can be awfully tempting to jump the gun on that, and that may work out well, or it may not, since God will never force someone to repent and receive the forgiveness offered from the cross, but I would be glad to help in any way I can, for my brother here, in explaining the gospel message to any potential future second wife that he may be interested in.

it can be awfully tempting to jump the gun on that,
Which I'm sure my dear brother you know, is precisely why we must have clearly defined parameters within which to look for wives and stay within those parameters, or we likely yield to temptation and become another of those tragic statistics.

Doing wrong is something to actively avoid, not to put one's self on the path to. Proverbs 4:14, 15; Do not enter the path of the wicked, And do not walk in the way of evil. Avoid it, do not travel on it; Turn away from it and pass on.
Shalom

Sorry about the derailing of your thread. I did thoroughly enjoy your short bio of your journey. I appreciate your outlook and humor too!

May your family, grandbabies and puppy be well! :)

Thank you. You are very kind.

I know some about you and your family, but would love to read the full bio about how you came to an understanding of polygamy and what your experiences have been.

Sorry Chris, but I see some meat in the derail and am just going to put this out there.

There is a huge difference between a man marrying a spiritually sketchy woman and vice versa.
A man can take the chance that a woman can grow spiritually within his household and and that he could possibly bring her around. He’s not going to lose his salvation over a failure-to-thrive. He may invest much of himself and his family, but what is a soul worth? He just needs to understand that it may turn out to be for naught. Of course, a pregnancy MUST be avoided until stability is solidly realized.
Whereas a woman can destroy her physical and eternal future with the wrong man.

I looked up "compliance testing", and all indications are that it is a software term (I should know that).

That would be more akin to "conformance testing". I am talking about this:

https://puamore.com/wiki/compliance-test/

It also works on a macro level. Like if you ask her to marry you, and she says "yes" she is being compliant. If she says no or fails to answer she is not being compliant.

It is a simple concept. Lead and see if she follows. If she does she is into you. If she does not she is probably not, or at least not yet.

Back