• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Housing

Christian Cowboy

Male
Y’all, I’ve wondered about this subject and wanted to get feedback from the married folks here. For instance, Kody Brown and his wives have separate houses, but before that they shared a house, granted it was very small for that many people.

What are your thoughts or views on residing in the same house or separate housing?

Personally, I feel like one house will fit me. Considering I want to have a big house anyways with a minimum of 5 bedrooms.

This is one of those things that is really different for different people. While I don't have a sister wife yet, my opinion is that we should all live in the same house. I want to be a family, a team. I don't see the point of having two houses to clean, of having hubby away at someone else's house half the time while I get the kids to bed etc.
However, there are families that do have separate homes, and it has worked well for them. And who knows, maybe when Samuel takes another wife she won't like the idea of living with me and will want her own place. Maybe she'll already have her own place and not want to give it up, who knows?

One house is a Biblical mandate.
Joshua 24:15 (KJV)
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that [were] on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

House, not houses, so if you are going to serve the Lord, it has to be singular.

JUST KIDDING!!!!
That verse popped into my mind and I just had to play it.
For us, one house makes it more of a team. But we have a smaller house than most plural families. Our dream house......is only a dream.
‘Tis Yah Himself who knows what the future will bring.

One house is a Biblical mandate.
Joshua 24:15 (KJV)
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that [were] on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

House, not houses, so if you are going to serve the Lord, it has to be singular.

JUST KIDDING!!!!
That verse popped into my mind and I just had to play it.
For us, one house makes it more of a team. But we have a smaller house than most plural families. Our dream house......is only a dream.
‘Tis Yah Himself who knows what the future will bring.
You were getting me right riled up there for a moment lol. I had verses and everything!

Definitely to each their own on this one, in my opinion. While I’ll don’t understand it, and would do all I could to avoid it, there’s nothing wrong with separate homes.

But for me personally, my family has always been in one home and it will be a top priority for me to keep it that way. It is my ideal as it facilitates teamwork, helping each other, a sense of family, and all contributing towards the same end. That can certainly be difficult as families grow in size, but from my experience I’ve learned two things:

1) God always provides for what He’s doing. As He adds to a family, He’ll provide for it. Personally, our housing situation has always coincided with periods of growth and God has used these situations to grow me and require I act in faith towards Him and not present circumstances. Accepting and moving forward with that growth when circumstances didn’t always look like it was possible. At this moment we’re currently in a period of growth and not long after it began, it seems God is already providing a new dwelling to accommodate the increase.

2) There’s usually a big difference between our needs and our wants. While we may want a huge home with a room for everyone, is certainly not a need. During this growth period, all four kiddos where moved to one room. While it’s big enough for all of them, it’s cramped and not our ideal. And that’s okay. It was a lesson to them about how we give and sacrifice for the good of one another. We make do with what we’re giving and are content in how He provides. On top of that, I’ve heard testimonies from men that have all experienced growth in their relationships and families that coincided with a decrease in square footage. Funny how that works. :)

That isn’t accurate, though it’s pretty universal for the husbands.
True. During times of emotional turmoil my first asked for separate homes on many occasions. Somehow thinking it’s be the answer to all her problems. The answer was always “no” and eventually I told her to never ask me for that again. But then again, it was never actually about houses. :)

Everybody wants to have one big house.

But some end up in two houses, for a whole range of reasons unique to their own circumstances.

True. Everyone is different.

There's a tiny house trailer park by where I live..you could always start your own too!

There's a tiny house trailer park by where I live..you could always start your own too!
Tiny houses are definitely an option that has merit.
With a great room and kitchen in common.

Kind of a cabins/summer camp atmosphere.

This is one of those things that is really different for different people. While I don't have a sister wife yet, my opinion is that we should all live in the same house. I want to be a family, a team. I don't see the point of having two houses to clean, of having hubby away at someone else's house half the time while I get the kids to bed etc.
However, there are families that do have separate homes, and it has worked well for them. And who knows, maybe when Samuel takes another wife she won't like the idea of living with me and will want her own place. Maybe she'll already have her own place and not want to give it up, who knows?
That is true. I feel like having the same house makes it easier for my to provide a constant presence around children and wives. I can still be full time dad to the kids, also help out around the house and not be so spread thin between houses. Wives obviously will have their own rooms. And I’d just change bedrooms each night.

I’ve noticed the kitchen is a room in the house women prefer not to share with sister wives, but I got that handled since I love to cook and the kitchen is my domain. I’m the Head Chef in the kitchen.

I’ve noticed the kitchen is a room in the house women prefer not to share with sister wives, but I got that handled since I love to cook and the kitchen is my domain. I’m the Head Chef in the kitchen.
Yeah, I don't really get this. I'd LOVE help in the kitchen! I'd love to work with someone else in there (though it's a tiny kitchen so not much room, but still....). As long as she cleans up after herself, and I'm not having to constantly tidy her mess (compromise, we work together, sometimes she cleans up my mess, sometimes I do hers etc), then I'd be fine with it.
But it's great that you like to cook! Are you a cook or a baker?

Wives obviously will have their own rooms. And I’d just change bedrooms each night.
That’s what we do and it works. I do always tell them, jokingly, that someday we may just have a master’s suite and then a bunk room for the women. You should see the looks on their faces and their reactions. :D But in all honesty, it may be what’s best someday. It isn’t now, but all options are on the table.

Back