• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How do Hebrew roots folks determine what birds are kosher?

This makes me very happy. I love duck.
There's still debate about Muscovy duck, and if it's really a duck. But i make duck tenders that my kids think are deer.

There's still debate about Muscovy duck, and if it's really a duck. But i make duck tenders that my kids think are deer.

It is a duck; just not of the mallard family. They'll even interbreed with other domesticated ducks (all of the mallard family); though it produces mules.

I think it has to do with the fact it can't fly ...
Also, I haven't had time to look it up but I saw a something the other day. It mentions the Mishnah. The handwriting is hard to read but I think it says Hullin 3.6 and something about the crop and gizzard and Hullin 64.8 unclean eggs are also forbidden. I am very curious what it says. This was a handout from over 20 years ago that I found.

There ability to fly is directly proportional to how much banger they are in...
Ok, you lost me on that.
Oh wait, do you mean danger?

Btw: We have to keep the feathers on one wing clipped on our chickens in order to keep them from flying over the fence.
So like I said, define fly.

Can Chickens or Turkeys fly?
Turkeys can for sure... at least the wild ones. I’m not sure about chickens.

Edit I should have read this one first...
Btw: We have to keep the feathers on one wing clipped on our chickens in order to keep them from flying over the fence.

Ok, you lost me on that.
Oh wait, do you mean danger?

We have 25 or so layers. We keep a wing clipped, too.. Inspite of that, we have two that still manage to hop the fence every morning and roam until evening... they think/act differently than all of the others...

Chickens and cows can fly to about the same height, but neither in sustained flight. Turkeys can fly, but not very well. Female muscovies and young males can do sustained flight; they are a duck, just not of the mallard species. Then there is pigeons. I think that's it for domesticated fliers. I don't think any domestic geese can fly but might be wrong (and their wild progenitors can).

Last edited:
I can vividly remember one morning deer hunting and busting a flock of about 150 Turkeys. They can fly at least 40 ft off the ground long enough to be out of danger, say at least 2-300 yards (that I could see and they were still flying)
Bet that was a wild sight!

I think it all depends on your definition of flying. One of our chickens flew about 30 feet up into a tree and roosted there for a bit. While that isn’t cross-country flying, is is certainly better than I can do while flapping my arms.

Ostriches have two gizzards that can be peeled, but do not have an “extra” toe, or crop. Also even though the majority of their diets are roots and seeds, they hunt small rodents and lizards. They are considered birds of prey even though they don't seize there food with its claws and lifts it off the ground to its mouth, hold down there prey with its claws and breaks off small pieces to eat, or pounces on its prey with its claws. They do however swallow and digest their prey alive. They are also scavengers that will eat the flesh of the dead. This Hodge podge of traits can be why Elohim made them non kosher. So we don't get confused over which traits kosher birds have.

Ostriches have two gizzards that can be peeled, but do not have an “extra” toe, or crop. Also even though the majority of their diets are roots and seeds, they hunt small rodents and lizards. They are considered birds of prey even though they don't seize there food with its claws and lifts it off the ground to its mouth, hold down there prey with its claws and breaks off small pieces to eat, or pounces on its prey with its claws. They do however swallow and digest their prey alive. They are also scavengers that will eat the flesh of the dead. this Hodge podge of traits make them non kosher.
How is an ostrich's diet different than a chicken? Chicken is a pig with feathers.

Back