• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Let's make some pro polygyny memes

I’m not a fan of Piper, while I cannot see his heart motives, I am highly suspicious that he knows better and is suppressing the truth in unrighteousness.
I'm extremely thankful to him for helping me understand the Gospel accurately through his sermons from the book of Romans, and helping me understand and rejoice in the sovereignty of God in salvation.

I'm also angry and deeply disappointed with him, because he is terribly wrong on a whole bunch of issues ranging from patriarchy and polygyny to gun control and pacifism. A lot of it is wacky pietism.

Like you, I'm suspicious that he knows better (especially on the patriarchy side, but probably polygyny too).

I have similar mixed feelings for many other famous pastors on the more "Reformed branch" of the church, like John MacArthur, Al Mohler, Mark Dever, Doug Wilson, and Wayne Grudem.

I chew the meat and spit out the bones, but it sometimes seems like there is less and less meat and more and more bones.

"Suppressing the truth in unrighteousness" is a serious charge, and might be true.

I'm extremely thankful to him for helping me understand the Gospel accurately through his sermons from the book of Romans, and helping me understand and rejoice in the sovereignty of God in salvation.

I'm also angry and deeply disappointed with him, because he is terribly wrong on a whole bunch of issues ranging from patriarchy and polygyny to gun control and pacifism. A lot of it is wacky pietism.

Like you, I'm suspicious that he knows better (especially on the patriarchy side, but probably polygyny too).

I have similar mixed feelings for many other famous pastors on the more "Reformed branch" of the church, like John MacArthur, Al Mohler, Mark Dever, Doug Wilson, and Wayne Grudem.

I chew the meat and spit out the bones, but it sometimes seems like there is less and less meat and more and more bones.

"Suppressing the truth in unrighteousness" is a serious charge, and might be true.
2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

It's a common theme with the reformed church. They have it right on some important things, but on some other things they can be off base. The patriarchy family unit and polygamy is definitely where many aren't rightly handling the word of truth - as we're commanded in 2nd Timothy. But I've noticed it on other issues, such as forbidding of wine or alcohol. Scripture clearly supports not only having vineyards, but also drinking wine. Especially at weddings. Of course - we shouldn't be out getting drunk. Of course - we shouldn't be addicted to it. Like all things - can you live without it? If you can't live without it - then it may be a sign you love it too much, and you have to re-calibrate. Our #1 priority should be hearing from Lord Jesus - Well done! My good and faithful servant.

It would be very interesting to track the flow of memes across the internet. I was just reading that meme yesterday on a completely unrelated website. Then I see it here today. It's come to me via two completely different routes yet arrived within a day.

I expect that "meme flow" would make a very accurate map of online connections between conservatives, and that various agencies may already track this for that purpose.

Back