• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Mennonites in upstate NY

I don't get you Americans.

Chance of heavy snowfall = I can't live.

For Europeans that is normal situation.
Some of us just like sunshine!

You wouldn't like it in NZ then. Chance of a dusting of snow = no school, can't go to work, panic buy bread and milk the day before etc. If it's snowing we just don't go anywhere. Except for our family because the farm still needs to be dealt with, more so in the snow when it's very cold.

Can’t and won’t do extreme cold. I spent most of my youth and early adulthood in Michigan. Basically Canada. Think lots of Lake effect snow. That’s why I’ve lived in either Florida or Texas the past 25 years.

The country is big enough that we can actually make choices. Many choose to live in areas where the weather is more challenging.

The country is big enough that we can actually make choices. Many choose to live in areas where the weather is more challenging.
We have a choice to suit every taste here. Balmy Florida, other southern states too, southern California,and yep, we have rainy states, very cold states, big sky prairie states, OMG mountain range states. I like the sunny dry mountain country where we are. This is from a hike we did last Saturday. Home is that direction.Screenshot_20240207_083823_Gallery.jpg
This second shot is a different direction.

Screenshot_20240207_084110_Gallery.jpg
Snow on the mountains meant it was cold enough!

When talking about upstate New York, I'm equally concerned about the toxic single party totalitarian political climate, and the extreme cold.

Fortunately the cold weather helps keep a lot of the riff raff in NYC, and away from the rest of the state.

You wouldn't like it in NZ then. Chance of a dusting of snow = no school, can't go to work, panic buy bread and milk the day before etc. If it's snowing we just don't go anywhere. Except for our family because the farm still needs to be dealt with, more so in the snow when it's very cold.
Snow is expect everywhere in Europe during winter except maybe Greece and Sicily. Off course, mountain areas do have buried under snow.

It's only Americans that absolutetly refuse to move other parts of their country only due to weather.

I lived in northern Michigan along Lake Superior. I remember when it got up to 30F degrees after a couple months of zero degree weather. 30s felt warm and I wore shorts and sandals with snow on the ground.

I couldn’t do that now. I’ve become acclimated to heat by living in Florida and south Texas the past 25 years.

I lived in northern Michigan along Lake Superior. I remember when it got up to 30F degrees after a couple months of zero degree weather. 30s felt warm and I wore shorts and sandals with snow on the ground.

I couldn’t do that now. I’ve become acclimated to heat by living in Florida and south Texas the past 25 years.
Childhood in MA here and adulthood in GA with the past 11 yrs without AC in a double wide. It takes a special kind of crazy resilience to deal with either extremes.😆

On the original topic, I just discovered that his fiancee wrote about this trip too:

She also writes about things like modesty: https://thesocialporcupine.substack.com/p/earbuds-blue-jeans-and-the-homogenized
and kinda disses 'trad' women on twitter: https://thesocialporcupine.substack.com/p/the-trad-feminist

I like learning from people who go against-the-grain, in ways differing from our unusual 'cut' across the norm.
Interesting reads. Her modesty manifesto was wonderful. I wanted to like the second but it felt a little erratic to me.. (her husband is def the better writer😏)

Back