• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Mennonites in upstate NY

Now you know one reason we left Europe...
I thought it was because we wanted
1. Religious liberty
2. To own property
3. Economic opportunity
4. To own guns
5. To have no king, but Christ the King
6. Because we couldn't get along with others

The order of these priorities would vary from person to person ☺️

Went house-hunting in rural New York recently, it's beautiful and cheap! I spoke with some of the neighbors and they said they get over 8 months of heavy winter at times, that is a little much but I'll take it over this southern heat anyday 😔

Last edited:
Snow is expect everywhere in Europe during winter except maybe Greece and Sicily. Off course, mountain areas do have buried under snow.

It's only Americans that absolutetly refuse to move other parts of their country only due to weather.
No, it’s only Americans who CAN move to other parts of our country due to the weather. Because our country is so big. And rich. And no other countries are. The rest of the world is so boring and limited. It must really suck to not be an American. I understand why you all are so enraged by us. But jealousy will rot your soul. You have to let go of that covetousness. There’s good things about your countries too. I’m sure. We just have to put our heads together and think real hard and we’re bound to come up with something! I bet you guys probably make a very adequate goat cheese or something right?

Went house-hunting in rural New York recently, it's beautiful and cheap! I spoke with some of the neighbors and they said they get over 8 months of heavy winter at times, that is a little much but I'll take it over this southern heat anyday 😔
I hear that the property tax (and heating cost) in NY is incredibly high.

This is probably less of an issue for the Mennonite farmers as agricultural land is taxed at a much lower rate than residential property.

I don't get you Americans.

Chance of heavy snowfall = I can't live.

For Europeans that is normal situation.
Going to pile on. We have the choice where to live. I’ve lived places in the US that have extreme winters (Michigan and Montana) and others with tropical climates (Miami, Florida)…all in the same country. Why not choose where you want to live.

No, it’s only Americans who CAN move to other parts of our country due to the weather. Because our country is so big. And rich. And no other countries are. The rest of the world is so boring and limited. It must really suck to not be an American. I understand why you all are so enraged by us. But jealousy will rot your soul. You have to let go of that covetousness. There’s good things about your countries too. I’m sure. We just have to put our heads together and think real hard and we’re bound to come up with something! I bet you guys probably make a very adequate goat cheese or something right?
Russia has also all ecological zones except jungles (which also US lacks). Yet, I never heard them so complaining about weather relating moving as America.

Nope, I don't suffer from any evil here. I just find whole situation funny.

Going to pile on. We have the choice where to live. I’ve lived places in the US that have extreme winters (Michigan and Montana) and others with tropical climates (Miami, Florida)…all in the same country. Why not choose where you want to live.
My commentary isn't about choice. It's about Americans altitude.

I thought it was because we wanted
1. Religious liberty
2. To own property
3. Economic opportunity
4. To own guns
5. To have no king, but Christ the King
6. Because we couldn't get along with others

The order of these priorities would vary from person to person ☺️
And to escape King's justice.

Like rulers before were much interested in providing justice, instead of earning money and stifling their opponents.

My commentary isn't about choice. It's about Americans altitude.
I've seen a similar attitude (but less options) with the British and Canadians. Then again they are our closest cousins. 🤔

Canadians love moving to warm climates in the USA including Florida and Arizona for retirement.

Why is British Columbia (Vancouver and Victoria) the most popular place to live in Canada? They have the mildest winters and incredible scenic beauty.

I've seen a British television program called "Escape to the Continent" where British people look for houses in Europe. A large number of these people were looking in warm sunny parts of Europe such as Italy, Portugal, and Greece. I didn't see any go to Finland. I imagine Brexit is putting a damper on that trend.

Russia has also all ecological zones except jungles (which also US lacks). Yet, I never heard them so complaining about weather relating moving as America.

Nope, I don't suffer from any evil here. I just find whole situation funny.
There is no Miami or Key West in Russia. Or south Texas, Arizona, or Southern California for that matter. Their warmest area is the Black Sea coast, which is nowhere near as warm.

I've seen a similar attitude (but less options) with the British and Canadians. Then again they are our closest cousins. 🤔

Canadians love moving to warm climates in the USA including Florida and Arizona for retirement.

Why is British Columbia (Vancouver and Victoria) the most popular place to live in Canada? They have the mildest winters and incredible scenic beauty.

I've seen a British television program called "Escape to the Continent" where British people look for houses in Europe. A large number of these people were looking in warm sunny parts of Europe such as Italy, Portugal, and Greece. I didn't see any go to Finland. I imagine Brexit is putting a damper on that trend.
This is logical. Best areas are with best weather. California is numero uno.

media_Fgy1PIAXkAYzIo2.jpg_name=small.jpg
But absolute refusal to move to wintery areas is strange. There is always possibilty to move away when winter arrives.

View attachment 6280
But absolute refusal to move to wintery areas is strange. There is always possibilty to move away when winter arrives.
California is not number one, in my opinion. Sunshine doesn’t mean best weather. Florida is better. Warmer in winter even if there is less overall sunshine. Miami is in the upper 70s F with lows around 60F in the winter. Nowhere in California is anywhere close to that.

I grew up in Minnesota. It was liveable because it was “our” weather. You might call it a form of Stockholm Syndrome.
Life took me to Seattle, Mexico, and now Alabama. I have enjoyed various aspects in each location.

I question the importance of weather, although I do make the statement that Minnesota is a good place to be “from”.

What happened to the Mennonites?
We seem to have lost their trail a while back.

View attachment 6280
It's something I also don't understand, it really is common for many Americans to outright refuse a hint of cold weather. They'll move somewhere and purposely sweat to death in order to avoid a snowflake (no pun intended.)

Last edited:
I'll never understand it, it really is common for many Americans to outright refuse a hint of cold weather. They'll move somewhere and purposely sweat to death in order to avoid a snowflake (no pun inteneded.)
This is me. I won’t live north of I-10,which goes from Florida to California.

it’s 75F (24C) here today in south Texas in mid winter. It’s 71 right now at 9:20 pm.

California is not number one, in my opinion. Sunshine doesn’t mean best weather. Florida is better. Warmer in winter even if there is less overall sunshine. Miami is in the upper 70s F with lows around 60F in the winter. Nowhere in California is anywhere close to that.
Florida citrus tastes better than California citrus, and the Pacific Ocean is too cold, even in Southern California. I spent six years in Florida, but passed up a huge promotion because it would have required moving to California. I like the land of California, but not the politics.

Also, @memefans map is a little off. Western and Eastern Washington are totally different on sunshine. It's is a hot sunny desert here on the East side of the state.

This is me. I won’t live north of I-10,which goes from Florida to California.

it’s 75F (24C) here today in south Texas in mid winter. It’s 71 right now at 9:20 pm.
You call that winter? 😲😲😲That's early summer/late spring temperature in Croatia.

I'll never understand it, it really is common for many Americans to outright refuse a hint of cold weather. They'll move somewhere and purposely sweat to death in order to avoid a snowflake (no pun inteneded.)
It seems that bunch of Americans are truly solar-powered. Cold is shutting them down. 🥶🥴

@MemeFan, you're being ridiculous.
Have you considered it's maybe opposite?

Sunshine is source is life. Take a look at map. Even wintery areas of US have sunshine as many mediterranean areas. With exceptions of two yellow spots there is no area in US with less than 2000h of sunshine. And it's Americans complaining of their weather.

It's bloody ridiculous.

Back