• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Men's outdoor retreat/adventure planning

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
OK, since this is new, I thought we'd try to do this in public, but may end up taking some discussion on specifics private.

I've already called elsewhere out some guys I'd really like to help us plan, but anyone who thinks they might be attending is welcome to chime in.

Who: I'd like to see a real father/son focus (and proposing the same as Andrew: age 13, though you will be allowed to argue for your capable 12-year-olds), but all men are welcome.

When: I'm open to the 3 middle weekends of June: 8-10, 15-17, 22-24. The middle one includes Father's Day - is that better, or worse, for anyone? I'd like to see this as a 3 night deal, at least for those who can get the time. Either starting on Thursday, or staying til Monday.

What: This is where you come in. I'd like to have some strenuous, some less so (hikes), activities - so that some of us old geezers can participate. Some basic survival-type training. Bible study and various talks mixed in.

Where: Are there good camps for this kinda thing, where we can either cabin/tent and be out in the woods easily? Help! Somewhere between TX/OK and the Carolinas I think.

Food: I guess we gotta eat. Best way to accomplish this? May depend on location.

I need really need some guys who are capable - I know we have plenty! - to help take the lead on this. If you are motivated for this, please don't be shy. Feel free to think outside the box and throw out ideas.

So this is really easy. Most things with men are. We need large amounts of National Forest, a few interesting features and some really bad food. Throw in a trip to the shooting range (free except for ammo on National Forest ranges).

I have all of those things in abundance and on the very mountain where the famed Band of Brothers trained before shipping overseas to jump in at D-Day, great museum trip included.

Minimal planning. Minimal expense. Maximum testosterone. I'll be honest, some of you might not make it back alive.

Basic land navigation, compass and map course... capture the flag....

Zec has the right location!!

I'd bring Paul & Kurt (if they're free) and Neil (for sure). Cannot make the 22-24 weekend (annual music teacher conference). Other two are do-able with a slight preference not to use the Dad's Day weekend.

Depending on nature of event might also invite my oldest son John (36) and his oldest Jay (14).

I'll reach out to JP this weekend and see what he's got going on. No sons to bring, but he'd be a good 'uncle' to have on the team....

Not in my neck o the woods, but will be with you in spirit.

Would it make a difference if we were more central?

I might snag a couple of my younger cousins, but count me in. My Grandfather quoted Psalms9;9, Paslms 57:1 , Psalm 71:7, 2 Samuel 22:3, and Luke 6:47-49 when we were building a house or cabin to drive home the need to to take shelter in the L-rd. I've used it when I took younger cousins camping when we're were setting up tents for the same purpose.

We should also set up some tasks that the youths need to complete but need to work together. Specifically ones were a couple are going to have to step up and lead.

What about a three day canoe trip? I know the northern Georgia wilderness area has some shady history, but still. I'm thinking the Cahulawassee River area is out but there must be some 'civilized' areas around that section of the country that might work.

I'm new here but I did just come from the Georgia Retreat so I do know there are at least a few good people in Georgia and the folks there can't be as bad as the movies make them out to be. :)

There are a lot of things to like about structuring the weekend as a journey. Any 'teaching' aspect of that experience basically writes itself. Same would apply to any 'barn raising' or other construction projects we could put together, and there are other ways to build a 'weekend to remember' where "the medium is the message".

One thing we're up against here is starting from scratch with other time pressures in the background. We may need to start making a list of great ideas and then see if we could mount a couple of father/son or more general male-bonding events per year.

Final 'thinking out loud' thought: I'd still favor a more central location, having just been in Georgia and then Nevada, and trying to make it accessible for as many as possible. But we may just have to figure out who's interested first, then go for the center of gravity of wherever the attendees are.

A canoe trip sounds great to me, though!!

I'm working on buying a romote peice of property in the mountains of eastern Oklahoma for the purpose of setting up a Christian men's wilderness camp, it'll only be 10 acres. Getting there will be an adventure in its self. A narrow logging trail up the mountain close to the property, then a 4x4 is needed to get the rest of the way up. If everything goes well it'll be available on a permanent basis. I'll be heading up there to check it out in a couple of weeks. I was planning on dragging @Verifyveritas76 and Conor out there to check it out with me if there free.

What about a three day canoe trip? I know the northern Georgia wilderness area has some shady history, but still. I'm thinking the Cahulawassee River area is out but there must be some 'civilized' areas around that section of the country that might work.

I'm new here but I did just come from the Georgia Retreat so I do know there are at least a few good people in Georgia and the folks there can't be as bad as the movies make them out to be. :)

I hear banjos...

Would it make a difference if we were more central?
Probably not.
I'm working on buying a romote peice of property in the mountains of eastern Oklahoma for the purpose of setting up a Christian men's wilderness camp, it'll only be 10 acres. Getting there will be an adventure in its self. A narrow logging trail up the mountain close to the property, then a 4x4 is needed to get the rest of the way up. If everything goes well it'll be available on a permanent basis. I'll be heading up there to check it out in a couple of weeks. I was planning on dragging @Verifyveritas76 and Conor out there to check it out with me if there free.
hate to break it to you brodder, but thems hills, not mountains. Those who live west of Kansas will verify.:rolleyes:

Considering having to pack and carry camping gear might also need to be looked at to decide how far to travel. Since this would take more than packing a suitcase and hopping a plane somewhere. Just a thought.

Back