• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Men's outdoor retreat/adventure planning

Probably not.

hate to break it to you brodder, but thems hills, not mountains. Those who live west of Kansas will verify.:rolleyes:

While I understand clearly what you are saying, I can resolutely attest, from patrolling in Dahlonega during Ranger School, them AIN'T "hills." Just sayin...

hate to break it to you brodder, but thems hills, not mountains. Those who live west of Kansas will verify.
Been through the ins and outs of the Rockies....:rolleyes: not all too impressed. Ill keep to the Ozarks or the Appalachians.

Been through the ins and outs of the Rockies....:rolleyes: not all too impressed. Ill keep to the Ozarks or the Appalachians.

In @Mojo 's defense, tackling a 14,000 foot peak is on my bucket list...

BTW, I'm happy to help plan/produce if we decide on a location within striking distance of SC. With very limited vacation days and somewhat restricted funds, flying four or five of us is not an option.

Before we get into the who's mountains bigger contest, I was referring to the variety of adversity, climates, fauna, and terrain of the Ozarks or the Appalachians compared to the relative uniformity of the Rockies.

I'm working on buying a romote peice of property in the mountains of eastern Oklahoma for the purpose of setting up a Christian men's wilderness camp, it'll only be 10 acres. Getting there will be an adventure in its self. A narrow logging trail up the mountain close to the property, then a 4x4 is needed to get the rest of the way up. If everything goes well it'll be available on a permanent basis. I'll be heading up there to check it out in a couple of weeks. I was planning on dragging @Verifyveritas76 and Conor out there to check it out with me if there free.

Let me know. Ill do my best to make it happen.

Something else to keep in mind, if were doing a float trip, the Illinois river in eastern OK is one of the most scenic rivers this side of the cascades. Clear water, great places to pull out and have fun, there’s even some good camping places in the vicinity.

In @Mojo 's defense, tackling a 14,000 foot peak is on my bucket list...
I've only climbed up to 12.5 k, and when you get up so high that trees can't grow...you know you're on a mountain ;) When you try to dig a hole to eliminate in, and all you find is granite...you're on a mountain.:eek: When the UV rays are so strong, they burn and dehydrate you in less than 30 minutes...you're on a mountain.:D

I've been in the Ozarks, and wasn't disparaging them. They's beautiful! I've just lived in the West too long, and places like Shasta, where the snow never melts is a mountain to me. All else falls in the hill category.

*edit: hole, not home to eliminate in...ay ay ay!

Last edited:
I've only climbed up to 12.5 k
12.7 for me; fourteener is on the bucket list (hey, AP! maybe a future BF male event?...). Ozarks are nice, but I loves me some Rockies....

When you deliver 7 loads back-to-back to a beryllium mine somewhere above Leadville CO (which itself is at 10,000 feet) in the middle of the winter......:eek:
Post the pictures, I will enjoy them.

When you deliver 7 loads back-to-back to a beryllium mine somewhere above Leadville CO (which itself is at 10,000 feet) in the middle of the winter......:eek:
Post the pictures, I will enjoy them.

Alright... post 'em!

Me likey good driving stories.... :D

But, start a new thread. we're on the edge of running off the rails here. Need to get back to mailing the retreat down!

Those who know me will know I'm not kidding, when I say I really, really, like the idea of this adventure being on the water - at least part of it. (The rest at camping stops along the way?)
So thanks @CAP for opening this door. The Illinois looks great, but there's another river out that way, that's actually been on my bucket list. It's America's first National River, the Buffalo. Have a look. Sold yet?
Suddenly, I feel like I could be much more helpful with planning. :) Where to rent, start, stop, camp along the way, transportation return, I could hande. You survivalist guys would need to help with campsite time, and what to bring.

So let me put this back to a serious vote, only for those who would like and are probably able, to participate:
Are we OK with a river, and riverside, adventure? And let me just propose a date then, in keeping with Andrew's request, and because earlier in June should mean 'less crowded' and cooler. On the water morning of June 7th (Thur), done before dark on June 10th (Sun).

I already see some of us staying in the area for MORE adventure - maybe 2 or 3 more nights - on the water, or not. But that's for a post-nailed-down discussion. But keep it in mind.

Back