• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Missing Christmas

I don't think that means abstain from anything that might look like evil, or others might consider as evil , because God would never give with one word and demand we not accept with another. If something is not evil, God allows it. "All appearance of evil" implies to me that evil has some obvious appearance and some subtle appearance. For example, in the modern church divorce often has a subtle appearance of evil. So yes, lets abstain from murder, and lying, obviously, but Paul would probably be pretty horrified by the appearance of evil in the form of divorce in the modern western church. So I think this is part of what he is warning about here.
By the way, there have been preachers who have used 1 Thes. in the "let's not get the smell of smoke on us" to justify parts of the covid lockdown (here in the East Coast) that were so restrictive (but "unselfishly" protecting the broader community of the city) as to actually prevent the type of meeting for worship that is mandated in Scripture (unless you think Zoom counts).
We will each have to give an account of where we draw the line.

We will each have to give an account of where we draw the line.
Agreed, and the error of drawing the line can be
1) in being too permissive or
2) in being too restrictive.
David ate the showbread, and Jesus used this example in refuting some Jewish critics. But I don't know the story of Jesus refuting better than the original story of David, so I am proably missing something here

Agreed, and the error of drawing the line can be
1) in being too permissive or
2) in being too restrictive.
David ate the showbread, and Jesus used this example in refuting some Jewish critics. But I don't know the story of Jesus refuting better than the original story of David, so I am proably missing something here
I would venture to say that David knew what he was doing when he ate it.
But I will leave that between David and Yah.

I would venture to say that David knew what he was doing when he ate it.
But I will leave that between David and Yah.
I don't feel completely comfortable with that statement. Here's what I see instead:
Jesus is indicating that David did not sin when he ate. I would not presume knowledge of what is between David and God in this case or any other, but then I read what God said in Matthew 12, and it is revealed. It's not the only time that David's privacy seems to be divinely imposed upon.

I don't feel completely comfortable with that statement. Here's what I see instead:
Jesus is indicating that David did not sin when he ate. I would not presume knowledge of what is between David and God in this case or any other, but then I read what God said in Matthew 12, and it is revealed. It's not the only time that David's privacy seems to be divinely imposed upon.

For me situation is clear. David and his men were hungry. Life comes second after God and before any other concerns.

Like Sabbath. You are supposed to take rest and not work, but saving life comes first and it is only acceptable reason to break Sabbath. Jesus did heal on Sabbath. Healing == providing life.

Guys, value hierarchy is clear. God, staying alive, other things.

EDITED: Spelling and making text more clear

Last edited:
Here's a funny short clip. The only think that would make this funnier would be autotune and dubstep...

I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to answer the OP ... no, I do not miss it. I knew from a young age that it had nothing to do with the birth of Christ [I enjoyed reading the encyclopedia and read about Christmas one day when flipping through "C"; I was 7 or 8 at the time], so when I started seeking truth I ditched anything that did not line up. Before I started seeking truth, whenever someone said to me, "Keep Christ in Christmas" I would say, "He was never meant to be there in the first place." I actually hung around Satan worshippers for a while [yikes .. they made no sense to me .. I mean, if you are acknowledging that the devil exists, then by default you are also acknowledging that God exists, and WHY would you CHOOSE to serve the devil over God?!?!] and they enjoyed keeping Christmas. I've also seen testimonies of witches and wizards who keep Christmas / and testimonies of ones who came out of it and no longer keep Christmas for that very reason - they know how closely connected it is to paganism.

But, all of that aside, the feasts in the bible are SO MUCH BETTER than anything we can create, so why settle for a counterfeit when the real deal is much more of a blessing? We are to love the Father how HE wants us to love him, not how WE want to love him. Start making new memories surrounding his holy days :) but be careful not to jump out of the pot and into the fire ;)

But, all of that aside, the feasts in the bible are SO MUCH BETTER than anything we can create, so why settle for a counterfeit when the real deal is much more of a blessing? We are to love the Father how HE wants us to love him, not how WE want to love him.
This is exactly what I want for my family. If only we had started decades ago... It sometimes feels insurmountable to counter cultural holidays with feast days we’ve only begun to understand and observe. At least in kids’ eyes..

Does anyone else miss Christmas?

I desperately miss it. It's much worse this year, which I'm assuming is because things are so out of whack right now that my subconscious is trying to grasp hold of some normality and joy from my childhood.
I have always struggled with missing it somewhat though.
I miss the lights, the decorations, the tree. I miss decorating the tree with the kids and watching them do an awful job and praising them for it. Then them asking if they can eat all the candy canes right now because they did such a good job.
I miss seeing their faces on Christmas morning, the anticipation finally coming to fruition as they see all the presents under the tree, with the lights shining on them.
I miss the carols, even the secular ones.
I miss the feel of it, the atmosphere, going around shops and seeing Christmas stuff out and buying a new decoration each year.
I miss the joy of it, the excitement, the love and happiness, the smiles on people's faces.

And at the same time I hate that it's something that we celebrated, because I know it's not biblical, I know there are deeply troubling aspects to it, and I see the problems.
We're not going to do it, (except for the bare minimum with Samuel's family which we do every year, but it's not very Christmasy, which is a good thing), and I don't wish we were going to, I would be deeply upset if we did.

But I miss it.
Try Chanukkah, we're having a blast with the kids now on the 6th night as we celebrate Gd's faithfulness in delivering a rag-tag band of preist-soldiers from the oppression of the Greco-Syrian empire!
( it's not about the oil lasting! )

That was funny!!! :p

I don't celebrate [...] because it is not scriptural.

Celebrating is indeed Scriptural!

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 15:11-32&version=NIV

“‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

Jesus died and then rose again! He was lost to us and then found! If Jesus thought it was fine to celebrate the return of a wayward and sinful son then how can it be wrong to celebrate the birth and rebirth of Christ Jesus?

Now I'm going to cook cranberry cake for lunch! And there will be whipped cream! It's time to celebrate! :)

“‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

Jesus died and then rose again! He was lost to us and then found! If Jesus thought it was fine to celebrate the return of a wayward and sinful son then how can it be wrong to celebrate the birth and rebirth of Christ Jesus?

Now I'm going to cook cranberry cake for lunch! And there will be whipped cream! It's time to celebrate! :)
Cranberry cake, lol. I was with you up until that. But you gave me a great idea: a vegan translation of the Bible. "Fatted calf" becomes "cranberry cake."

I don't celebrate [...] because it is not scriptural.
I understand your perspective, but Chanukah is mentioned in the Apostolic writings (New Testament).
Maybe there's something there since the John bothered to mention it: John 10:22-23

nice perspective! Yes, especially for grafted-in believers to celebrate a holiday held dear by your brother Judah where we faced annihilation for daring to study the Torah.
Nice scriptural reference @MeganC I had to read through it to get it!

I understand your perspective, but Chanukah is mentioned in the Apostolic writings (New Testament).
Maybe there's something there since the John bothered to mention it: John 10:22-23
I didn't interpret those verses as referring to Hannakah. I consider the potential that an existing celebration has been rebranded as Hannakah in order to give Hannakah an Apostolic "certification". What elements of the modern celebration of Hannakah would be completely unknown to the early AD celebrants of Dedication feast? are any of those elements central or essential to the celebration of Hannakah?
Those are the question I ask myself, and since they have an element or subjectivity, I guess each man can answer them differently.

We don’t have to justify joyful celebrations with friends and family that highlight our faith! We just have to make sure there is nothing actually sinful involved and then party down! Joy, parties, fun, celebration, singing, dancing, drinking, feasting, frivolity and general merriment are all explicitly Biblical.

Back