• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New member here

NBTX11

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Hi there. I just joined the forum today and wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I have been married for 31 years with 3 grown children. We are born again Bible believing Christians that are members of a Baptist Church and have been involved in various ministries for years. The reason I joined this forum is to explore further what the Bible says about marriage. Of course in our denomination it has always been said to us that God's plan is one man, one woman for life, and we always believed that for ourselves. What is usually preached is that although God may have tolerated multiple wives in the past, it isn't his best plan and not something to be pursued.

Well in my own personal Bible reading and quiet time, I kept coming over passaged about Bible characters that have more than one wife. So I decided to do a study on whether this was actually something that God approved or was wrong. What I kept finding was that it seemed to be approved of God. I kept finding scriptures such as ones about Joash and David where God gave them more than one wife. So then the next question naturally was, if God gave someone something, how can it be sin? I also read such passages in Exodus with specific instructions for caring about more than one wife. I couldn't wrap my head around how something could be a sin, yet God call these men wise and blessed. So I looked further into New Testament scripture and it still was not clear to me. I searched online for reading materials and came across this site and began reading the articles and reading the forum.

Finally, I very cautiously approached my wife with this information. She naturally was very hesitant, and quite honestly hurt that I brought it up initially. But we agreed to study out this information and both came to the conclusion that it is not wrong. We also agreed to pray about this and see if God would lead us anywhere with this information. So that is where we are at. In preliminary prayer and seeking direction, if any is needed. Do you have any advice for us? Oh and I am glad to join y'all and we live in Texas. God bless.

James

Welcome to the forum! We have a ladies chat on Monday nights, 7.30pm Eastern time. She's most welcome to join us, she will need to make her own account, but we'd love to get to know her :).
Yes, I have told her about this forum and she is thinking about joining. She naturally has a lot of questions and concerns. Thank you for the welcome.

Welcome!

Welcome to you and your wife from a fellow Baptist.

The Bible is clear. Polygamy (polygyny) is marriage. It is not adultery or sexual immorality. This is not only true of the Old Testament. The Law of marriage was established at creation. It is a universal moral law that applies in all times and all cultures.

It is an objective Biblical fact. Polygamy is lawful. There is no honest way to escape this truth. Many of us here are more than happy to give you mountains of Biblical evidence.

That does not mean that you should seek additional wives. I believe I should not seek more. I think it better that the servants of Christ not seek more. It is perhaps an unpopular thing to say here, but I believe monogamy is preferable.

That doesn't change the fact that it really is marriage, and honest Christian men must treat it as such.

Welcome!
There is a lovely blog written by a member here that shares the normal emotional journey of a first wife in accepting plural marriage.

You can find it here.

Please let your wife know there are many wonderful women here that are willing to visit, share and answer questions.

That does not mean that you should seek additional wives. I believe I should not seek more. I think it better that the servants of Christ not seek more. It is perhaps an unpopular thing to say here, but I believe monogamy is preferable.
My husband really didn't seek, but someone came along that was just too good to pass up. It is very counter culture, and hard to imagine.....but we all feel blessed by being together as one family.
I feel this is preferable, and I would never wish away the other woman. So it is certainly a personal matter.

Welcome to you and your wife from a fellow Baptist.

The Bible is clear. Polygamy (polygyny) is marriage. It is not adultery or sexual immorality. This is not only true of the Old Testament. The Law of marriage was established at creation. It is a universal moral law that applies in all times and all cultures.

It is an objective Biblical fact. Polygamy is lawful. There is no honest way to escape this truth. Many of us here are more than happy to give you mountains of Biblical evidence.

That doesn't change the fact that it really is marriage, and honest Christian men must treat it as such.
Solid post brother. Thank you. This is essentially my feeling now, but I am praying for further guidance. Essentially we aren't sure yet if this is to be pursued. It opens up a whole host of other issues and problems it seems like. I am sure there are not a whole lot of churches that are into this.

We are working on pluraling Texas.
Welcome

We are working on pluraling Texas.
Welcome
I'm not a prophet or the son of a prophet, but there is something very interesting about TX, signs in the heavens, etc... worth consideration, though I make ZERO claims on timing...

I'm not a prophet or the son of a prophet, but there is something very interesting about TX, signs in the heavens, etc... worth consideration, though I make ZERO claims on timing...

Now...how to pump those single ladies interested in plural marriage numbers in Texas.

It opens up a whole host of other issues and problems it seems like.
One of the issues polygyny addresses and solves is the number of single Christian women who have been prevented by the monogamy-only doctrine from finding a godly husband. The problems monogamy-only have created are serious and the consequences tragic - especially when coupled to rampant divorce in western religious culture.

Back