• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New member here

IFB books are very niche type books that appeal generally to hard core observants of IFB fundamentalism. Usually the preacher writing it will go around to other like minded IFB churches preaching "revivals", while he sets up tables selling his wares (books, CD's, music, t-shirts, hats, whatever). Members are somewhat made to feel they need to purchase some of these items and support his ministry.

Good assessment.
I would just add that being a published author of multiple books gives you a leg up in the credibility game, even if they only sell at the book stand in the lobby of the venue where he is speaking that day.
People are genuinely hungry, but they have been taught easy believism, tickle your ears theology, so they go from one to another “spiritual leader” trying to fill the void. Buying books as the wolves…., er, pastors pass through.
You make some good points. It seems that a lot of pastors fit that description.

Good thread. Good discussion.

I've been a recovering pastor for about eleven years...

American and, by extension, Western Churchianity have monetized ministry and embued the 'pastor' with power, duties, and prestige that are not scripturally supported unless the same twisting is used that produces all the man-made rules and doctrines. Traditions of men...

For those who want to gather and plant a pro-poly church and attract people with your success... it ain't gonna happen. God doesn't start top down, nor does He build organizations. He starts small, usually a man, and He grows from the ground up.

My strong recommendation, start a home fellowship and teach the Word. All of it. Not just pet doctrines. Study and wrestle with the parts your former denominations avoided like the plague. Roll up you sleeves and do the hard work because no denomination or big name pastor is going to come rescue you. 😊

Good thread. Good discussion.

I've been a recovering pastor for about eleven years...

American and, by extension, Western Churchianity have monetized ministry and embued the 'pastor' with power, duties, and prestige that are not scripturally supported unless the same twisting is used that produces all the man-made rules and doctrines. Traditions of men...

For those who want to gather and plant a pro-poly church and attract people with your success... it ain't gonna happen. God doesn't start top down, nor does He build organizations. He starts small, usually a man, and He grows from the ground up.

My strong recommendation, start a home fellowship and teach the Word. All of it. Not just pet doctrines. Study and wrestle with the parts your former denominations avoided like the plague. Roll up you sleeves and do the hard work because no denomination or big name pastor is going to come rescue you. 😊
The example of starting a church in the home is found in the New Testament. I can't imagine starting a church any other way. I'm not under any delusions that a big-name pastor is going to rescue any church that teaches polygyny. Quite the contrary, I'm confident that many big-name pastors will fight the effort.

I also agree that all of the Bible must be taught, but the focus must be on the Gospel and building up the believers Christ sends.

So long as the success of the church is found in doing the will of God, it can leave the number of people it attracts to God. After all only God knows how big the remnant will be.

Your warning is a good reminder to keep our eyes on Jesus!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The example of starting a church in the home is found in the New Testament.
That example has been perverted.
The churches that they established did not resemble the modern idea of church.

That example has been perverted.
The churches that they established did not resemble the modern idea of church.
They resembled Second Temple synagogues. Even when they were in someone’s house. They weren’t starting a new religion, they were fulfilling an ancient one.

They resembled Second Temple synagogues. Even when they were in someone’s house. They weren’t starting a new religion, they were fulfilling an ancient one.
I don’t know what a Second Temple synagogue is.

Just thought I would give y’all and update to my own intro 4 months ago. My wife @MsPurple1 and I are now both completely on board with plural marriage. It took her longer than me. That’s probably typical though with most couples. @MsPurple1 doesn’t post much but does go on the ladies chat weekly. We’re both actively looking for a second, but honestly have completely no idea what we’re doing.

It’s been an interesting journey with lots of late night discussions. And frankly, disagreements at times. We’ve both come to an understanding of what’s right. That process took about 8 months of personal study Bible and discussions.

We have no idea where this is going or even if it will happen. It’s OK if it doesn’t or isn’t in God’s plan. It’s wonderful to be on the same page together. On to next steps whatever they may be.

God is so good and his mercy endures forever. Praise Him.

Back