• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New member here

Welcome fellow Texan. Your story follows a very common pattern, if you approach the scriptures logically and remove your cultural or denominational presuppositions about marriage, the conclusion you came to is the result. It is the only conclusion that can be argued without fallacies, reading between the lines, adding to the text or taking away from it, etc. It is simply impossible to teach monogamy-only as G-d's law from scripture alone.

I get a little heated now when I hear folks claim G-d simply turned a blind eye to "sin", rampant, flagrant, repeated, unrepentant sin (in their mind) over the course of lifetimes of these men and women... From both a logical perspective as that makes zero sense, and a spiritual one as it is speaking lowly of G-d and His righteousness and consistency.

Jacob physically wrestles with G-d, Abraham walks with Him, Moses speaks with Him face to face, but we are to believe He was just too pre-occupied with so many other sinful behaviors that He just allowed one as big as distorting marriage itself to slide by for thousands of years? Doesn't check out for me.
Actually, that argument slanders the holiness of God. Maybe the word "blasphemes" is even appropriate.

Welcome fellow Baptist Texan. Are you currently a minister? I am intrigued!

In English translations of the Bible the word used for such a thing is Profanes. To profane His name is the opposite of making it Holy. Lev. 22:32, You shall not profane My holy name. To suggest God accepts and winks at sin is to profane His name.

Thank you, that does seem more appropriate of a way to express that, I've edited it to include that instead.

Welcome fellow Baptist Texan. Are you currently a minister? I am intrigued!
I have done a lot of ministry in independent baptist circles. I am not a pastor, but I have held basically every other postion in a church setting. Whether that be Sunday School teacher, Youth director, fill in preacher, etc. I've considered being a pastor at times, but have not felt yet a particular call to do that. While I am an independent Baptist, I actually disagree with them on a lot of stuff. The historic IFB movement was too legalistic with many man made rules and regulations that have no authority in scripture (I wouldn't set foot in somewhere like Jack Hyles church). I am adamantly against rules and regulations that have no basis in scripture either as a biblical command or biblical principle. I am also adamantly opposed to the KJV only man made doctrine pushed by IFBers.

I have done a lot of ministry in independent baptist circles. I am not a pastor, but I have held basically every other postion in a church setting. Whether that be Sunday School teacher, Youth director, fill in preacher, etc. I've considered being a pastor at times, but have not felt yet a particular call to do that. While I am an independent Baptist, I actually disagree with them on a lot of stuff. The historic IFB movement was too legalistic with many man made rules and regulations that have no authority in scripture (I wouldn't set foot in somewhere like Jack Hyles church). I am adamantly against rules and regulations that have no basis in scripture either as a biblical command or biblical principle. I am also adamantly opposed to the KJV only man made doctrine pushed by IFBers.
Ditto everything and as an associate pastor at $400 month it didn't pay bills.

Ditto everything and as an associate pastor at $400 month it didn't pay bills.
A lot of independent Baptists pay their preacher peanuts and expect him to be bi-vocational, but yet want a full time committed pastor.

A lot of independent Baptists pay their preacher peanuts and expect him to be bi-vocational, but yet want a full time committed pastor.
That's so bad. I was shocked to hear some church members talk of their pastor and say they paid him low to keep him humble. They obviously never read 1 Tim. 5:17-18, Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

I thank God I was always well provided for while I taught the church, but I know some men have financial challenges.

That's so bad. I was shocked to hear some church members talk of their pastor and say they paid him low to keep him humble. They obviously never read 1 Tim. 5:17-18, Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine. For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

I thank God I was always well provided for while I taught the church, but I know some men have financial challenges.
I follow this Facebook site for churches seeking pastors. At least 60 or 70 percent of them are looking for bi-vocational pastors. I get it some of them can’t pay their pastors much but if it comes to cut out non essential costs and start paying your pastor more.

Hi there. I just joined the forum today and wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I have been married for 31 years with 3 grown children. We are born again Bible believing Christians that are members of a Baptist Church and have been involved in various ministries for years. The reason I joined this forum is to explore further what the Bible says about marriage. Of course in our denomination it has always been said to us that God's plan is one man, one woman for life, and we always believed that for ourselves. What is usually preached is that although God may have tolerated multiple wives in the past, it isn't his best plan and not something to be pursued.

Well in my own personal Bible reading and quiet time, I kept coming over passaged about Bible characters that have more than one wife. So I decided to do a study on whether this was actually something that God approved or was wrong. What I kept finding was that it seemed to be approved of God. I kept finding scriptures such as ones about Joash and David where God gave them more than one wife. So then the next question naturally was, if God gave someone something, how can it be sin? I also read such passages in Exodus with specific instructions for caring about more than one wife. I couldn't wrap my head around how something could be a sin, yet God call these men wise and blessed. So I looked further into New Testament scripture and it still was not clear to me. I searched online for reading materials and came across this site and began reading the articles and reading the forum.

Finally, I very cautiously approached my wife with this information. She naturally was very hesitant, and quite honestly hurt that I brought it up initially. But we agreed to study out this information and both came to the conclusion that it is not wrong. We also agreed to pray about this and see if God would lead us anywhere with this information. So that is where we are at. In preliminary prayer and seeking direction, if any is needed. Do you have any advice for us? Oh and I am glad to join y'all and we live in Texas. God bless.

James

Welcome to the forum. I am in the Austin area for about 1 more month, then moving to San Diego to be closer to my parents.

I follow this Facebook site for churches seeking pastors. At least 60 or 70 percent of them are looking for bi-vocational pastors. I get it some of them can’t pay their pastors much but if it comes to cut out non essential costs and start paying your pastor more.
I personally believe that having a pastor for the church is a leftover from Catholicism.
Paul never, to my knowledge, appointed a pastor. Just overseers.
Hiring a man to be the spiritual representative for the church to Yah is a common human desire because it places the responsibility on the person that was hired.

I personally believe that having a pastor for the church is a leftover from Catholicism.
Hiring a man to be the spiritual representative for the church to Yah is a common human desire because it places the responsibility on the person that was hired.
Overseer, pastor, bishop, elder whatever you want to call it. The person responsible for the care of the church in the NT qualifications for bishop. Unfortunately I’ve seen this guy try to rule with an iron fist in certain churches. Sad.

Overseer, pastor, bishop, elder whatever you want to call it. The person responsible for the care of the church in the NT qualifications for bishop. Unfortunately I’ve seen this guy try to rule with an iron fist in certain churches. Sad.
That’s the problem, it was never to be one guy. It was always a group of bishops, deacons, overseers.
One of the reasons is that power corrupts.

We attended a Brethren church for a while. There was no pastor. Instead there was a roster where all the men would run the service at some point, including doing the sermon. The elders came up with a list of sermons, usually based on a book of the bible and doing a new chapter every week. There was no cost to pay for the pastor, everyone just volunteered.

We attended a Brethren church for a while. There was no pastor. Instead there was a roster where all the men would run the service at some point, including doing the sermon. The elders came up with a list of sermons, usually based on a book of the bible and doing a new chapter every week. There was no cost to pay for the pastor, everyone just volunteered.
After we were given the left boot of fellowship for believing the truth about marriage, we did the same attending a Brethren assembly. But some of our lovely family took issue, informed the leaders and we were given the left boot there also. It's a bit of a challenge standing for the Truth.

Welcome to the forum. I am in the Austin area for about 1 more month, then moving to San Diego to be closer to my parents.
Hey Chris! We've got to get together again, some time before you leave. We've seen Ruth Ann and Emily up gere in Georgetown a couple of times. Give me a call some time!

I was part of a JH church when I was a teenager. None other than Miller Road Baptist. We got there during the DH era.

I was part of a JH church when I was a teenager. None other than Miller Road Baptist. We got there during the DH era.
Same. Like I said, I wouldn't attend a church like this now if it was the last church available. Too many man made rules and regulations and errors in doctrine.

The problem is that they make the "minister" the leader. He shouldn't be the leader - he should be the servant. The elders should be in charge. It does make practical sense for many congregations to hire somebody full-time to teach, visit the sick, administer various programmes etc. But that person should never be considered the leader of the church, that puts things backwards and causes many problems.

The opposite does occur also. After finding out that the pastor of a church was being paid considerably more than I or anyone in my family had ever been paid in any professional career, I stopped donating to that church as I considered it would be poor stewardship of my money to fund such extravagance. If a pastor is to be paid, they should receive a reasonable salary, ideally comparable to the wages received by the men in their congregation - not too much less, but also not too much more.

Back