• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Pesach 5778 coming up!

Just had a great and very simple passover meal with the children, thought I'd mention it here in case it gives anyone ideas if you're still not sure what to do (us being ahead on the time zones).

We focussed on the last supper this year (having been more exodus focussed other years). Had a pile of fresh unleavened bread, a bowl of herbs, a pot of very thick soup (easy to pick up on bread), and small bowls of olive oil and vinegar. Ate on the floor, reclining at table as per the last supper (well, that was the idea, but most of those present were very young...), no plates or cutlery, just dipping bread & herbage in communal pots of stuff. Photo attached. The "bitter herbs" were whatever edible stuff I could see in the orchard this afternoon - comfrey, silverbeet, parsley and dandelion leaves - basically the sort of herbs a poor slave would grab in a rush out of Egypt. And red grape juice.
Did a study while eating on the last supper and the parallel symbolism of passover and the crucufixion - ie read a passage on the last supper and then talked casually.
Then, as the head of the home, I washed everyone's feet, and we rolled into a discussion from scripture on the sacrificial love of God, the unity of the Body, and how we should respond by loving fellow believers.

It was a fantastic, intimate time with the kids. And really easy (the most time-consuming part was making the bread, which we'd have done anyway).

Key verses for anyone pondering this sort of thing: Luke 22:7-30, John 13:1-17,33-35, 1 Cor 10:16-17, Romans 13:8-10.

Hope that is useful inspiration if anyone's wanting to do something simple, ie not a full-blown seder, but still stuck for ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20180330_182124.jpg
    IMG_20180330_182124.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Just had a great and very simple passover meal with the children, thought I'd mention it here in case it gives anyone ideas if you're still not sure what to do (us being ahead on the time zones).

We focussed on the last supper this year (having been more exodus focussed other years). Had a pile of fresh unleavened bread, a bowl of herbs, a pot of very thick soup (easy to pick up on bread), and small bowls of olive oil and vinegar. Ate on the floor, reclining at table as per the last supper (well, that was the idea, but most of those present were very young...), no plates or cutlery, just dipping bread & herbage in communal pots of stuff. Photo attached. The "bitter herbs" were whatever edible stuff I could see in the orchard this afternoon - comfrey, silverbeet, parsley and dandelion leaves - basically the sort of herbs a poor slave would grab in a rush out of Egypt. And red grape juice.
Did a study while eating on the last supper and the parallel symbolism of passover and the crucufixion - ie read a passage on the last supper and then talked casually.
Then, as the head of the home, I washed everyone's feet, and we rolled into a discussion from scripture on the sacrificial love of God, the unity of the Body, and how we should respond by loving fellow believers.

It was a fantastic, intimate time with the kids. And really easy (the most time-consuming part was making the bread, which we'd have done anyway).

Key verses for anyone pondering this sort of thing: Luke 22:7-30, John 13:1-17,33-35, 1 Cor 10:16-17, Romans 13:8-10.

Hope that is useful inspiration if anyone's wanting to do something simple, ie not a full-blown seder, but still stuck for ideas.
I love it!

You are a truly blessed man FH. Such a beautiful family.

Awesome!

beans, corn, beans, potatoes, beans, rice, beans
they fill up the kids stomachs and the rest of us also
oh! and i just remembered the most important one, beans.

i tried to read over several pages of this thread, it got rather hard to do, but i saw where "followinghim2" asked for belly filling suggestions.
also, if any of those foods are not okay, please forgive me, iv never observed anything but the sabbath and that i have had to do on my own, after several years some of my closest humans are used to my weirdness on that front at least . . .
they really don't know what to do with the pro-polygy thang o_O

Well I normally try to avoid plugging my side project but since it's relevant to the thread and Samuel cracked the door I will share the link to a video I did while preparing our lamb. Trigger warning Ish but not a huge trigger warning.

Nice!

It's that time of year again.
Pesach begins at sundown on Fri, 30 March 2018.
Shabbat & Passover, double the fun!

Please remember to get the chamets out of your houses; start early and get it done.
Let's use this thread as a general place to post ideas, ask questions, etc. about Passover Observance.
For any of you folks who literally slaughter your own food for this holiday, may I humbly suggest you reconsider if you aren't a pro-butcher?
I have a friend here who went up in the mountains with one group and the men decided to be manly men and slaughter their own and my buddy almost threw up. The animal IS NOT KOSHER if you don't kill him the right way, namely humanely. Eating a lamb or goat that had a horrible death is the same as eating pork.

OK back to positive mode! Please share recipes, music ideas, how your family does a seder, how you involve the kids and keep them from boredom, ask questions; this is arguably the most important chag of the year. If we start planning now we'll be so glad we did! If it's your first time celebrating Passover don't be shy, ask questions there are lots of folks here who can help.
chag sameach!
חג שמח

Sorry to interfere with you Hebrew guys but I was wondering if y'all follow the current calendar date for this year's Passover is it determed by the Rabbinical calendar or the lunar? And I guess that would further be followed up with, is the Sabbath observance based on the Gregorian calendar or should it be lunar as well?

When someone mentioned lunar sabbaths here a few months ago, it took me just a few seconds to think about it and say, "Omigosh, yes! Each quarter of a Moon cycle is about seven days — now I know where the concept of a 'week' comes from." Traditionally societies have used one or another lunisolar calendar. So surely feast days — as well as Sabbath observance generally — would have followed the Moon.

Western society, being more solar (ego and rationality) oriented, eschews lunar energy (associated with instinctive functioning) and thus would naturally be uncomfortable with it, so it makes sense to me that we'd remove references to anything lunar from discussions of our origin story.

I refrained from commenting at the time because I didn't want to weird y'all out, but yeah, lunar totally makes sense to me.

Sorry to interfere with you Hebrew guys but I was wondering if y'all follow the current calendar date for this year's Passover is it determed by the Rabbinical calendar or the lunar? And I guess that would further be followed up with, is the Sabbath observance based on the Gregorian calendar or should it be lunar as well?
Sabbath has never changed so that one is easy. I'm not aware of the bible ever referencing the moon for counting the weeks since the week is a uniform 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 perhaps the creator assumed we could do that much. It's fortunate that most civilizations have/had a 7 day work week (Egyptians had 10 but revelation at Sinai set that straight if it had been lost to the Israelites).

I write about your other question in the thread: Biblical Families Messianic Judaism and Hebrew Roots and Sacred Namers Movements

Well I normally try to avoid plugging my side project but since it's relevant to the thread and Samuel cracked the door I will share the link to a video I did while preparing our lamb. Trigger warning Ish but not a huge trigger warning.

Not triggered brother (though didn't watch the vid yet :p ), sounds like you know how to slaughter just fine. I was just wanting to protect people from themselves as I have a pal who got into the Hebrew roots way of thinking and ended up with a bunch of fellas who weren't qualified sawing at a goat's neck one passover and then throwing up.
Not good for their souls nor the goat! That was what motivated my initial post about this stuff; not a discouragement for those who are qualified.
shalom :)

Hey Zec I watched the video, found myself smiling quite a bit.
It was kinda like you were here in the living room.
I liked the comment around 7:20 about reflecting on how we have to crucify ourselves; our flesh. Interesting take away.
The comment you made about "why didn't Yeshua die on Yom Kippur" I think is a great question I've also asked myself from time to time.
I was gonna start a separate thread for this but it seems still appropriate for the Passover thread here.

My initial thoughts for why did Yeshua die on Pēsaḥ and not Yōm Kippūr:
  • Yeshua Himself actually led the ancient Israelis out of Egypt Himself:
    "Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe."
    ESV Jud 5 (I tried to quote from KJV brother, but instead of "Jesus" as the critical text suggests it says "L-rd" (Kurios) and that didn't make my point as strongly. So just as He literally freed our ancestors from slavery, His death also freed us from the slavery of sin and the sting of death.
  • The sacrifices were not allowed to have ḥāmeṣ (leavened stuff) in them, the ḥāmeṣ represents sin (don't you know a little leaven leveneth the whole lump) so this ia nice analogy for Yeshua
  • Passover was not just about redeeming Israel, it was also about judging the "gods of Egypt", literally, there was a spiritual war which destroyed the spiritual powers in Egypt with Hashem's righteous judgement, just as Yeshua will return and judge the earth
  • Yeshua's mission wasn't just about reversing the sin of the first man, but it was also about reversing the affect of the fallen sons of god, so for this parallel Passover is extremely pertinent
  • blood of the lamb saving from death stuff, nice symbolism
  • It wouldn't have been possible to kill him on Yom Kippur vs Nisan 14 since work is fully prohibited on that day
  • Even if they could have killed him on Yom Kippur, that would mean that there were actual animals being sacrificed for the sins of the nation at the same time as He was, seems to me good it's more spaced out
  • Talmud tractate Yoma records that all the little miracles that used to happen on Yom Kippur (red string turning red, Menorah lasting long time, High priest lot coming up in the right hand, etc., stopped happening in 30 AD. This is a testimony to Jews about Yeshua being the final sin sacrifice, had he been actually killed on the same day as the animal sacrifice, then would the small signs have happened or not? It could show some confusion but since we see in the talmud the miracles did NOT happen starting on the following year, it's just a beautiful witness...
I'm sure I missed plenty maybe some others can chime in. I may be feeling the wine from dinner tonight a bit, "en vino veritas!"

Last edited:
Sabbath has never changed so that one is easy. I'm not aware of the bible ever referencing the moon for counting the weeks since the week is a uniform 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 perhaps the creator assumed we could do that much. It's fortunate that most civilizations have/had a 7 day work week (Egyptians had 10 but revelation at Sinai set that straight if it had been lost to the Israelites).

I write about your other question in the thread: Biblical Families Messianic Judaism and Hebrew Roots and Sacred Namers Movements

Sorry to single you out but you seem to be somewhat of the authority here on Jewish thought, I can't really find the answer in the thread you linked concerning Passover lunar/Rabbinical calendar. And I always find a disconnect when someone tries to say that the days/week are numbered and so that just the way it is. I am not exactly sure what you meaning is "I'm not aware of the bible ever referencing the moon for counting the weeks since the week is a uniform 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 perhaps the creator assumed we could do that much." The bible is full of 1st, 7th, 21st, and other days in reference to the New Moon. There is even a New Moon Day counted. To say that God only regulated the Feast Days to the New Moon (I don't really know if you were even suggesting that) and leave the week days to the man made calendar sorta gets lost with me. It is obvious to me that if the concept of God controlling the weekly Sabbath (and world commerce for that matter) through a lunar Sabbath, that very few would be able to accept that as a Law they can live by. It is also interesting to me that those who try to follow the Law as close as possible would not want to make absolutely sure they are honoring the right Sabbath. And if the day of the week has been since the beginning of time, and has never been adjusted at least one day in all the calendar changes throughout the history of 7000 years, how does one know that the time is form day 1 or day 4 when the bodies of heaven were created for time keeping? And if the day count is from creation day 1 and man was created on day six, man is really six days behind God. Or is it really 2 because you should subtract 4 for Sun creation day. To me God confused the Sabbath so that man would not worship it, and focus more on the True Sabbath. But what I think is not really important, I was just trying to find out what out what others think.

Loved the video. Thanks.

One comment and one question.

Comment: I admire how you can let that stache grow over and around your mouth. My facial hair is trimmed, especially around my mouth. It's because I can't stand the sensation of the hair around there. That's just me.

Question: You hesitated to use the word sacrifice and prefaced it by saying Jesus is our sacrifice. Is it wrong to offer sacrifice as laid out in the OT? We approached this topic on here a while back. I will try to find it and bump it up.

Hey Zec I watched the video, found myself smiling quite a bit.
It was kinda like you were here in the living room.
I liked the comment around 7:20 about reflecting on how we have to crucify ourselves; our flesh. Interesting take away.
The comment you made about "why didn't Yeshua die on Yom Kippur" I think is a great question I've also asked myself from time to time.
I was gonna start a separate thread for this but it seems still appropriate for the Passover thread here.

My initial thoughts for why did Yeshua die on Pēsaḥ and not Yōm Kippūr:
  • Yeshua Himself actually led the ancient Israelis out of Egypt Himself:
    "Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe."
    ESV Jud 5 (I tried to quote from KJV brother, but instead of "Jesus" as the critical text suggests it says "L-rd" (Kurios) and that didn't make my point as strongly. So just as He literally freed our ancestors from slavery, His death also freed us from the slavery of sin and the sting of death.
  • The sacrifices were not allowed to have ḥāmeṣ (leavened stuff) in them, the ḥāmeṣ represents sin (don't you know a little leaven leveneth the whole lump) so this ia nice analogy for Yeshua
  • Passover was not just about redeeming Israel, it was also about judging the "gods of Egypt", literally, there was a spiritual war which destroyed the spiritual powers in Egypt with Hashem's righteous judgement, just as Yeshua will return and judge the earth
  • Yeshua's mission wasn't just about reversing the sin of the first man, but it was also about reversing the affect of the fallen sons of god, so for this parallel Passover is extremely pertinent
  • blood of the lamb saving from death stuff, nice symbolism
  • It wouldn't have been possible to kill him on Yom Kippur vs Nisan 14 since work is fully prohibited on that day
  • Even if they could have killed him on Yom Kippur, that would mean that there were actual animals being sacrificed for the sins of the nation at the same time as He was, seems to me good it's more spaced out
  • Talmud tractate Yoma records that all the little miracles that used to happen on Yom Kippur (red string turning red, Menorah lasting long time, High priest lot coming up in the right hand, etc., stopped happening in 30 AD. This is a testimony to Jews about Yeshua being the final sin sacrifice, had he been actually killed on the same day as the animal sacrifice, then would the small signs have happened or not? It could show some confusion but since we see in the talmud the miracles did NOT happen starting on the following year, it's just a beautiful witness...
I'm sure I missed plenty maybe some others can chime in. I may be feeling the wine from dinner tonight a bit, "en vino veritas!"

More here than I can really take in at all once Ish. Thank you for sharing it all.

Loved the video. Thanks.

One comment and one question.

Comment: I admire how you can let that stache grow over and around your mouth. My facial hair is trimmed, especially around my mouth. It's because I can't stand the sensation of the hair around there. That's just me.

Question: You hesitated to use the word sacrifice and prefaced it by saying Jesus is our sacrifice. Is it wrong to offer sacrifice as laid out in the OT? We approached this topic on here a while back. I will try to find it and bump it up.

I believe it is and when it is reinstated will be the the abomination of desolation spoken of in Revelation. I don't have much to back that up with other than philosophical musings but that's not all that uncommon so I refused to be deterred by it.

Back