• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly Practised Elsewhere

Well I know he's got me beat by a long shot. Being as he was a pastor, I wish he could have joined in here and contributed to the discussions. I think he might have had some insightful things to say. I do hope that he as a Christian raised all those 520 kids to know the Lord. If that's what he did, what an amazing legacy to leave behind in this world!

Well I know he's got me beat by a long shot. Being as he was a pastor, I wish he could have joined in here and contributed to the discussions. I think he might have had some insightful things to say. I do hope that he as a Christian raised all those 520 kids to know the Lord. If that's what he did, what an amazing legacy to leave behind in this world!
Definitely, but the situation being he had that many wives and kids; when would he get time to read stuff and post here?? Grief, it used to take me every moment I had for preparing preaching notes and dealing with all the challenges with people in the assembly. This guy would have awesome ideas and insights for organization and getting stuff done.

I wish I had his stamina! ;) Seeing to the needs of 10 wives a day.... I feel tired just thinking about it. :( His bedroom probably had a turnstile rather than a door.
@windblown has pointed out to me something which all of the eagle eyed amongst us will be ashamed to have missed that this man would of had to average over a hundred children per wife. Obviously some skepticism is in order here.

@windblown has pointed out to me something which all of the eagle eyed amongst us will be ashamed to have missed that this man would of had to average over a hundred children per wife. Obviously some skepticism is in order here.
Wouldn’t it have been 16.25 kids per wife? In the article it says he had 47 wives at one time but it dwindled down to 32- so it could have been 11 kids per wife if all 47 wives had children.

And then there's the servicing 10 wives a day comment . . .

Wouldn’t it have been 16.25 kids per wife? In the article it says he had 47 wives at one time but it dwindled down to 32- so it could have been 11 kids per wife if all 47 wives had children.
Heck, that's so many children, no doubt some families in the community just dropped kids off on the doorstep and nobody was the wiser... lol

Very interesting article, @Frank S. My only quibble with it would be that their concern about the danger of interpreting ancient Greek attitudes about Persian polygamy in a way that one mistakenly ascribes modern Western values onto those Greeks should also be turned on its head; it's just as dangerous to fail to recognize how much those ancient Greeks very purposefully set in motion belief systems that have resulted in modern Westerners seeing things the way the Greeks intended them to be seen.

Very interesting article, @Frank S. My only quibble with it would be that their concern about the danger of interpreting ancient Greek attitudes about Persian polygamy in a way that one mistakenly ascribes modern Western values onto those Greeks should also be turned on its head; it's just as dangerous to fail to recognize how much those ancient Greeks very purposefully set in motion belief systems that have resulted in modern Westerners seeing things the way the Greeks intended them to be seen.
Good point

But even for concubines, there was discipline, he says, and a man found with another man’s concubine was to be beaten. “This was a lesser punishment compared to when you were found with someone’s wife where the sentence was death by stoning,” he adds.

“........Polygamy is not about men needing many wives but it’s about women needing husbands.”

Bingo!
The concubine part I just don’t see supported in Scripture.

Leviticus 19:20-22
“If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free; but he shall bring his compensation to the LORD, to the entrance of the tent of meeting, a ram for a guilt offering. And the priest shall make atonement for him with the ram of the guilt offering before the LORD for his sin that he has committed, and he shall be forgiven for the sin that he has committed."

@Tesfalcon , you pulled that completely out of context and quoted the part after the section that I was responding to.
Here is the problem statement:
In the Bible, he notes, some women seemed to have been in a complex situation such that remarrying was out of thought. They thus ended up being concubines.”

Where do we have an example of women being in such a complex situation that they cannot get married and must settle for concubineage in today’s world?

Back