• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygyny friendly neighborhood

Well Zephyr where you are at there tend to be a lot of people needed in need of landscaping. All kinds as a matter of a fact on the east coast. Landscaping is some thing that can be done year round depending on your skills or what you are willing to learn. Go to your local court house get an "assumed name license" so you can get a bank account to cash checks if you want you can also get Tax ID number to write off things you have to pay for through out the yearand to keep the business legit. If you want to do some thing along the lines of a flee market the same still applies except you will want to file for a "sales Tax License" the reason for this is so you can buy whole sale items in bulk for a very low price. I used to buy irregular socks. I had to package and seal myself but wow what a deal! With out that Sales Tax License I would have never got a profit like that! As of now I have two different kinds of shops in the flee markets as well as a food stand there. The I have a parcel service that I just started that is starting to take off. I am also in talks to open a all age non-acoholic club, that has Swing Music and live swing bands. You can make money in so many ways in life! That's why I asked about starting this polygyny friendly neighborhood. I wanted to help come up with ideas on how to raise the money together so people would have to pay virtually nothing to live there.I am in service for the Lord! I believe we are all Gods' Chosen people, and every now and then we all need help and direction. Me included!

Revgill87123 said:
I am also in talks to open a all age non-acoholic club, that has Swing Music and live swing bands.

That is so awesome! I love Big Band/Swing music. Just can't dance to it though it looks like fun. A couple of buddies and me in high school had a dream of opening up a jazz club one day. Unfortunately life hit us before we had a chance.

zephyr said:
I just can't take the cold. I read somewhere that you can die of hypothermia at 67 degrees and I have no plans on testing the theory!

zephyr said:
Paul, Cecil and I are all right here at the very bottom of the Blue Ridge nestled in a little valley facing out towards the Atlantic. Its beautiful but we don't get the mountain weather. I'm supposed to be going through Boone sometime in the next month. Is that near Asheville? If so I'd love to get together. I'll be meeting someone who needs to see that we're all pretty normal, even in our abnormalities.

Ok, now I think I know who you are. You were the other Marine that was at the new year's retreat, right?

Actually coming from Georgia you would have to go past Asheville to get to Boone. Although I do drive a milk truck REALLY close to Boone.

I'm hurt Tod. You forgot me already. Yes that's who I am. I was going to offer to teach you how to swing dance, I'm pretty good at it, but not now. You've officially hurt my feelings. However, if I do end up going to Boone then I will definitely try and see if our schedules jibe.

Just PM me and let me know what you need to know and I'll help you out with what ever you need to know.
zephyr said:
I definitely need help in this area.

Hate to bring back and old topic. This idea is great for those who want it. Being in a Messianic Jewish community is so much easier. We have moved to South Dakota.

low unemployment, the hudderites are here (people here are used to groups who are different), no state taxes, low land prices, govt meets only 9 weeks a year, concel and carry is easy to get, easy hunting laws, be near to cities and you have most anything you need.

Larger city (Sioux Falls - has pretty much everyhing)
under 50k
Med cities - Brookings and aberdeen
under 30K
small-med cities - Mitchell

PRetty much you would want to live east river. There is little differnce in the three smaller cities. They all have Wal Mart (mitchell has cabellas), all have a college, and land is cheap.

Get with the strength

I hear that there are towns in the US which are mainly FLDS polygamous. If these polygamous households are run in an orderly manner, that is no child wives or compulsion, then Christian polygamists should join that community rather than start a new one. One large, growing polygamous community will have more political effect than several small polygamous communities.

I suggest including Jewish polygamists.

Finding work could be a problem in some communities.

EnchantedLife said
Get with the strength

I hear that there are towns in the US which are mainly FLDS polygamous. If these polygamous households are run in an orderly manner, that is no child wives or compulsion, then Christian polygamists should join that community rather than start a new one.
While I think I understand the motivation for this idea, I can't conceive any measure of success. Plural marriage is not and cannot be the keystone of a Christian community. Biblical Marriage may well be a building block, but it is not the foundation that the Word of God is or that the doctrine of Christ is. While I have several FLDS friends that I would not intentionally offend, I must say that the Christ of LDS or FLDS is not the same as the Christ of the Bible. A simple side by side comparison of holy books will confirm that. Same with Jewish polygamists, different Messiahs. Each group would have to compromise way too much basic doctrine to form a poly community. We each have unique foundational truths that we adhere to firmly. If they weren't important to us, we wouldn't have them. Don't compromise truth for political strength. "Christian" is more important than "polygamist".

Absolutely I agree with the sentiment of Christian first and Biblical marriage second.

Trouble is that any Christian endorsing Biblical marriage will be a pariah and unclean object to the vast majority of Christians; striking fear in their pure hearts as mothers pull their teenage daughters close to their side in the church carpark (sorry, the visual just came to mind).

ylop

John Whitten said:
Don't compromise truth for political strength. "Christian" is more important than "polygamist".

AMEN !
For a true Christian, Polygyny isn't and should never become the main focus.
Blessings,
Fairlight

The choice is whether you want to be amongst Christians who disapprove of you or you would be willing to live amongst non Christians who would be supportive of your lifestyle even if you feel religiously isolated. I suppose most people feel both so why not just feel one?

It is one of my dreams to live in a Poly community.

:D

Isabella,
I hope your dream of living in a poly community is realized. However, one should always be careful what one wishes for. I hope it is all you dream of. :)
The choice is whether you want to be amongst Christians who disapprove of you or ....
Actually, the choice is whether I want to BE a Christian living for the Lord, walking pleasing to Him, not compromising His truth for compatability with those who may not have the same dedication to God.

Well I think that is grand....but surely you are a Christian wherever you live aren't you?

Or is the situation so precarious that you are less of a Christian if you live around non-Christians?
Because I am not all that certain what point you are making, there are a fair few people on here who feel that people who disapprove of Polygyny don't have the same amount of dedication to the Bible or else they would not disapprove.

It is all terribly confusing...anyway, I doubt that we would ever live in a greater Poly community, the likelyhood of like minded souls are very slim, I am a little too realistic for wishful thinking but thank you for your sage warning.

Well I think that is grand....but surely you are a Christian wherever you live aren't you?
...It is all terribly confusing...

Part of the problem, Isabella, is with definitions -- the meaning of words -- and I tend to think that is by design. The Adversary has found "added to" and "subtracting from" the Written Word to be one of his most effective tools at subverting and "confusing" those who seek to follow YHVH. And changing what words mean is near the top of that list.

Suffice it to say there there are many self-described "Christians" who could care less what Scripture ACTUALLY says. (Not coincidentally, the same can obviously be said about other written law, like the Constitution, and those who treat it with the same intellectual contempt that they do the Word.) We are beginning to see (again) the eternal Truth that He "changes not", and that neither does His "Iron Law" -- that we reap what we sow. Most ' Amerikans' have no clue how deeply the cancerous rot of fraud, dishonest "weights and measures", and false witness goes. But we will watch as it plays out.

Ultimately, I will suggest that it is neither "poly" communities or Xtian ones that will matter. See Rev. 18:4:
Those who fail to "come out" of a modern Babylon will partake of the coming plagues either way.

"It is one of my dreams to live in a Poly community."

Mine as well...it seems that the time is near that the bigamy and anti-polygamy laws will be overturned (one trial this spring, and possibly another for Kody of "Sister Wives"). That is the first step. Then as living in a polygamous household becomes more open and common the like minded individuals will be attracted to communities where it becomes prevalent. I think you will see this happen in our lifetimes. I am eager for the day when society in general will see how polygamy can actually benefit families and strengthen communities.

I see a community with reasonably sized lots (3 to 5 acres) so that homes, so designed, can have additions easily added on as needed... ; )

I agree with Isabella. Nearly all societies are secular, or close to it. In any American community, it would be possible (but unlikely) to have a Christian family with a Mormon family as one neighbour, and a Jewish family as the other neighbour.

If Christian families live in a polygamous FLDS community, one could imagine a Christian family with a Mormon family and a Jewish family as neighbours, all polygamous. I now see that if Christian polygamists are unwilling to join a polygamous FLDS community, then it could be the same in reverse; a polygamous FLDS community might be unwilling to accept polygamous Christian families.

My point was that a large and growing polygamous community, regardless of the relgions practised, would be a growing political force.

EnchantedLife said,
If Christian families live in a polygamous FLDS community
I understand that communities are generally secular. What I read in your original post and that is repeated here is about Christian families being a part of a polygamous FLDS community. My issue is in the necessary differences that make such community union unlikely and undesireable. Though there are secular polygamists, Christian polygamists and FLDS polygamists, there are foundational differences in motive and methods for polygamy. Those differences make it impossible for both Christian and FLDS polygamists that take their faith seriously to join in community with polygamy as a unifying factor. You were referencing Christian polygamists becoming part of an existing FLDS community, such as we have here in Arizona. I do not have any objection to people with FLDS doctrine doing community around polygamy, nor do I have any problems with those who profess to be Christian polygamists doing their own thing as well. What I have issue with is the necessary compromise of my doctrinal position to become a part of a community this is conspicuously different than mine, even though we may have plural marriage as a result in common.

John Whitten said:
What I have issue with is the necessary compromise of my doctrinal position to become a part of a community this is conspicuously different than mine, even though we may have plural marriage as a result in common.

Perhaps the problem here is what we mean by community? For some people an intentional community can share work spaces, communal worship, community spaces and lots of other things.
I don't think most of us were being so inclusive though, for some people having neighbours around who you don't have to hide from is good enough, to be able to talk openly, perhaps if you needed a babysitter or something. Now personally I don't feel I need to share the same faith as someone to hire them to build me a chicken coop or sell my eggs. So unless it is a part of your religious beliefs to avoid all other faiths entirely (can anyone really do that without living in an isolated cult?) why not live amongst those who not only don't care about how many people you live with but also understand?

I just don't know why you would feel you would have to compromise your doctrinal position?

Isabella said:
I just don't know why you would feel you would have to compromise your doctrinal position?

One reason would be the command Jesus gave to evangelize the lost. Christians are supposed to be witnessing / Evangelizing non-believers. This could create some (okay...A LOT !) of tension in such a "community" filled with FLDS and other groups. Spiritually...it would always be an "us" and "them" situation (and any dedicated FLDS member would probably feel the same way towards us..they call us "Gentiles"). Established FLDS communities like Colorado city don't want anything to do with us. They don't even want us driving through their city. Many of them refuse to even speak to outsiders. I doubt if they would appreciate us trying to move into their town. I really don't see a mixed poly-community working well. Having a "Christian poly community" would be an interesting experiment but I'm not sure that would work....who would be in charge and what kind of rules would be implemented and what are their core doctrines, etc. ? There are a lot of different beliefs even under the Christian banner. And anyway, polygyny shouldn't be the main focus for a Christian. Spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ to a dying world is our main mission in life.
Blessings,
Fairlight

Back