• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer Group

FollowingHim2

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
I don't pray much. Not privately. I pray with the family before the children go to bed, and we say grace for our tea, but that's all. I used to pray heaps! I used to pray most days, and then on Sabbath I spent at least 30 minutes on my own in deep prayer, it was wonderful! I still pray for other people, but it's quick quiet prayers while I'm surrounded by chaos.

There are a few reasons I've pulled away from it. Some I'm willing to share, and some I'm not. But all can be worked through. Business and constant interruptions and lack of quiet space are pretty major ones tbh.
Last night, YHWH gave me a dream. I'm not going to go into the ins and outs of it, but it was his warning that I need to turn back to him in a big way, so I'm doing that. Today I chose to spend 10 minutes alone in the bedroom praying. There were 2 children asleep, and 5 outside playing. I was interrupted twice, lol! But, by the end of that session I felt the most peace I've had in a long time. I then read 1 chapter of the bible, and I just prayed and opened it to wherever YHWH wanted me to read. It opened in Job, and the chapter related directly to my dream. Honestly, I've missed all that so much. I'm glad to be turning back to Him.

If you read Ginny's emails, you'll know that she meditates every day. She's kept it up for over a year now. It's made a huge difference to her. So I was thinking, with the 'rewards' I got from prayer today, what if I prayed every day? What would I feel then? Would the peace extend out to cover the whole day? Would I start hearing YHWH more clearly?

I want to do this, maybe for a set amount of time, say 100 days, and I want to be held accountable. So here I am putting it out here, hold me accountable ladies!
Who wants to do this with me? (It's ok if you already pray daily, you should be, it's a wonderful thing! Join in anyway!) I'd love a group of us to keep each other focused on YHWH.

100 days is doable, right? I'm starting off slow, 10 minutes of prayer and one chapter of the bible. I find if I have big visions then I fail easily, so got to start small.

YES!!! I use to pray and read a lot more regularly. Our schedule changed and I just haven’t been consistent. I enjoy doing dishes and laundry, as I do these brainless chores I have a minute to pray about a situation or the person’s clothes I’m folding. But, the deep down reading/studying time and prayer with our Lord.... 100 days!!! I’m going to do it too, but first I must make a chart to track it, lol:p

I sued to pray alot at work during a morning walk. But various injuries stopped that and I just have not gotten back to it. I let the workday and the duties after work get in my way. I pray with Jim every morning and evening, but my private prayer life es definitely lacking again.

I would like to join. I've been feeling like I need to pray "deeper" instead of so quickly and without really spending the time I need to. I think part of me feels shy about praying again, like talking to a friend you've not spoken to in a long time, which I know is super silly - it's the Lord! He loves when we pray! And also because I am a bit selfish and want all of my quiet time to myself before the kids wake up. So I have intentions to pray, but then I pick up my phone, or do chores, or garden instead. So I'll be joining too, right now! Thank you FollowingHim2!

I am a firm believer that there is "power in prayer".
I used to have a quiet place I could go morning and night, get on my knees, and just let it all out to the Lord. I don't have that anymore, but I pray before I get out of bed and before I go to sleep. No chance of interruptions!
Every night, I read a devotional, then I read in the Bible for about 15-20 minutes. You will be amazed how fast you can read through a Book of the Bible doing this. I read a book in the OT then NT, switching back and forth, just how I like to do it.
We do Saturday Sabbath, and I spend as much time as I can studying the Word. I get an email with what is being read that week for Sabbath and I follow along with that.
All this being said, I don't have little ones anymore, so I have the time to do this. When I did, I would get up 30 minutes before I had to "start life".:p

Curious about how this would work? would we as a group do an outlined study or would we have brief sharing of what we studied that day for the accountability aspect? Only if comfortable of course as some times God smacks us with things that are very hard.. If it is done as @FollowingHim2 did it by just opening and studying where ever the Bible opens can't really do an outlined study.. So this is a curiosity thing for me as I am interested as well.

I sued to pray alot at work during a morning walk. But various injuries stopped that and I just have not gotten back to it. I let the workday and the duties after work get in my way. I pray with Jim every morning and evening, but my private prayer life es definitely lacking again.
Well I'm glad I'm not alone. We can definitely all do this together!

I think part of me feels shy about praying again, like talking to a friend you've not spoken to in a long time, which I know is super silly - it's the Lord!
I completely understand, that's exactly how I felt yesterday. I sat on the side of the bed and told myself that it was silly to feel silly, lol, and if I didn't start praying then I'd never get past that stage.

I am a firm believer that there is "power in prayer".
I used to have a quiet place I could go morning and night, get on my knees, and just let it all out to the Lord. I don't have that anymore, but I pray before I get out of bed and before I go to sleep. No chance of interruptions!
Every night, I read a devotional, then I read in the Bible for about 15-20 minutes. You will be amazed how fast you can read through a Book of the Bible doing this. I read a book in the OT then NT, switching back and forth, just how I like to do it.
We do Saturday Sabbath, and I spend as much time as I can studying the Word. I get an email with what is being read that week for Sabbath and I follow along with that.
All this being said, I don't have little ones anymore, so I have the time to do this. When I did, I would get up 30 minutes before I had to "start life".:p
I love your routine, sounds great! Yes, little ones do tend put a bit of a spanner in the works and make it all more difficult. I've tried getting up before them, but our house is small and they hear me and wake up lol, so I just end up earlier than usual with grumpy children. My quiet time will be in the afternoons, straight after lunch. I have the smallest child in bed then, and sometimes the 3 year old as well.
Are you going to join in with us in our prayer group?

I’m kind of in the same boat as @RainyLondonFog. I pray, it’s just usually quick. And also, out of obligation. Not giving much of my time. Same with reading. I read the Bible most days, but I’m just not really giving myself time to actually meditate on what I read.

@FollowingHim2, I love the idea of a 100 day commitment! :)
Well you're ahead of me, I only read the bible on Sabbath or if I'm looking up something.

Curious about how this would work? would we as a group do an outlined study or would we have brief sharing of what we studied that day for the accountability aspect? Only if comfortable of course as some times God smacks us with things that are very hard.. If it is done as @FollowingHim2 did it by just opening and studying where ever the Bible opens can't really do an outlined study.. So this is a curiosity thing for me as I am interested as well.
It's not a bible study, that's not what I'm promoting here. I'm talking about individual time with YHWH. What you read in the bible is up to you. Let the Holy Spirit guide you.
I also don't want to put an amount we have to read or a length of time or anything on it. Yesterday I read 1 chapter, that was all. That might seem small, but it's better than not reading it at all. Smaller amounts stick with me too, rather than if I read a whole book.
So what I'm saying is that we read the bible every day. However that looks to you is fine, just pick it up and open it!
We don't have to share what we read, but we can if we want to.

Prayer wise, I don't want to put a time limit on that either, because for everyone it will be different, and the way the Holy Spirit guides you will be different. I don't want anyone to think they failed because they didn't manage to pray for the exact amount of time stated. It's about making time every day to spend quality time with YHWH. For some women it may be half an hour, and for others it's only 5 minutes.
One thing I do want us to do if possible, is to spend some of our prayer time just listening. It's easy to fill up that time with requests to Him, rather than being still and listening to anything He wants to say.

Lol, are you one of those people if I come to your house everything is labelled? A chart does sound fun though!
Lol, nope. I don’t have much labeled, but I have a label maker, somewhere.... I move things around to much to confine myself to anything having a permanent spot, much to my husband’s frustration. I’m more organized on paper....

Lol, nope. I don’t have much labeled, but I have a label maker, somewhere.... I move things around to much to confine myself to anything having a permanent spot, much to my husband’s frustration. I’m more organized on paper....
Samuel got a label maker. He loves it so much. Everything got labelled lol. He's always looking for an excuse to bring it out.

This is a great idea @FollowingHim2 ! I too, have been trying to regain some ground that has been lost in the last year. For many years I had the kitchen table to myself to do prayer and devotions in the morning but since N and her kids have moved in (we lived in separate but close houses for many years, but now we are all in my house until we move into a larger one.) I haven't had the privacy I use to have. I have let that and the busyness of life get in the way of doing something that is so important for my spiritual well being. I need to pray about making a new space/ time for myself to pray. :)

"One thing I do want us to do if possible, is to spend some of our prayer time just listening. It's easy to fill up that time with requests to Him, rather than being still and listening to anything He wants to say." THIS is so important! And as Ali would say, "Write it down!" if at all possible, so you can go back later to be encouraged by the words God has spoken to you.

So, when is the start of these 100 days? Or is do we each start on our own?

I need to pray about making a new space/ time for myself to pray. :)
I use my bedroom. It's the only space I have that's somewhat private, though the children do still barge in sometimes. If I'm reading the bible then I do that in the lounge. Proper study may be done in the lounge or up at the table, but most of the time it's done in the lounge with me saying "Hey honey, what does this verse in the bible mean?" And then Samuel giving me the information I need.

o, when is the start of these 100 days? Or is do we each start on our own?
How about we all try to start on Saturday? That's tomorrow for me, and Sabbath. Yesterday I didn't find a chance to pray, and I doubt I will today as well. I have a house full of feverish and vomiting children. I will try, and I definitely will make more of an effort from Saturday, but I'm realising this is going to be harder than I thought!

Back