• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Seeeking Sister Wife (Season 2) - Monday January 20th on TLC

Seeking Sister Wives

EPISODE 6 COMMENTARY (SPOILERS)

Alldredges - Glad to have an update on them since they were not in last week's show at all. Apparently they are still in contact with the prospective and she has agreed to visit them. I still do not think she is a good fit. Trailers for next week seem to indicate something happens to prevent her from visiting. It sure seems like the Alldredges are about to suffer the unfortunate luck of catfish #2 (someone who is not who they say they are). Sad. they deserve better.

Snowdens - Vanessa seems like every wannabe polygamists dream come true. Her "where you go, I go" attitude was very refreshing and reminds me of the story of Ruth from the Bible. It seemed like kind of a tease to Vanessa that intimacy was now OK ... only after a 21 day detox. Hopefully they already told her about that in advance and it was just poor editing. Since they are not Judeo-Christian faith based it is not clear what happens next. In the past they have said no intimacy without commitment. So will they have a marriage and/or a ceremony after the detox? Also, what is up with that whole detox thing and matching pH? This is the first I have heard of this. Is that true? As far as I know Mormons do not do this. Do Poly Mormons suffer from yeast infections or what? I guess we finally have the big showdown over the diet. Can Vanessa avoid pizza and steak for 21 days? The Snowdens (Dmitri in particular) are doing much better this season and so far it looks like the Snowdens have the best chance of being the first family to successfully find a sister wife on the show.

Winders - Family still cute. Second wife seems more into getting a 3rd wife than the first wife, but does not seem like a big deal so far. Wonderful that second wife has her mother as support. Colten is wrong about no polygamy meet and greets. They actually do exist. The Biblical Families ministry hosts several get togethers every year, for example. There are a number of Facebook groups that have meetings. I host the "Polygamy Central Texas" Facebook group and we occasionally have face to face get togethers. They do exist.

McGees - Date with Brandy seemed very nice. Risky to have both families meet before ever meeting in person, but it seemed to work out well for them. This episode seems to put to rest the complaint that the McGee boys were upset about polygamy. They seemed fine with it. Also Brandy's daughter seemed very polite, well behaved and in general a very sweet girl. I do not see any problems so far from the kids standpoint. Again, preview gives away future problems with prospective feeling like wife is interfering in her budding relationship with husband. Paige is not wrong in what she is saying, but she would be better off letting her husband say it (if needed) and/or trusting her husband to live it if she really wants this lifestyle.

While they are doing better than last season, the Snowdens still rub me the wrong way. I hope young women aren't watching the show and thinking Wife #1's iron grip on her household is normal or okay.

I'm a second wife. I respect 1st Wife's experience and authority, especially in matters relating to our husband or marriage in general. She earned that respect.
But she doesn't tell me what to do, nor is she a gatekeeper in my relationship with my husband.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out. It may be Vanessa is a super submissive and does not mind Ashley calling the shots. That would be pretty rare I think, though. Sometimes people put up with things for a short time, but it does not work out so well for a longer amount of time.

I think the McGees have the same issue, and from the preview it appears that there are problems ahead for them.

I thought this last episode of Sister Wives (last weekend, not tonght) was paticularly good. Kody was doing some leadership.

So thanks to @cnystrom, we went searching for the lost episodes (the ones we lost) and found we hadn't seen the seasons past season 11. The episodes that were of great interest to us were the ones in season 12 related to the women's march that Meri's daughter 'conned' her into going. And
the one about the polygamy march in Utah capital. That was a really good show. That all appeared to happen in February of 2017. I can't find any discussion here in regards to that march to remove Bill 99. I'm curious, shouldn't we be involved with supporting Mormon polygamy groups and thier attempts to remove the bias against polygamy? I also noticed there are a few advocacy groups out there that are working to try any make polygamy positive.

http://nationalpolygamyadvocate.com/blog/tag/milestones/

Wondering why we as I group don't participate. Or maybe we do and I am not aware. I personally think I'm going to try and see what I can do to find out more about this.

I think of Mormon polygamists as allies in some ways and I would have been happy to support them and their freedoms at the rally, but I do not think it was well publicized outside of Mormon circles. I did not hear anything about it until afterwards.

Besides Mormonism, the fact that they see a moral equivalence to the women's march and do not have a problem with homosexuality might help explain why I do not consider myself in the same foxhole in the war.

I do not think anyone here is against political action. I know @andrew is very inolved in Libertarian party politics.

By all means if you see action opportunities post them in the forum.

I hope young women aren't watching the show and thinking Wife #1's iron grip on her household is normal or okay.

I'm not watching the show but in watching monogamous marriages many if not most wives call the shots. That's not okay, but certainly normal. Or is wife #1's control really extreme? How firm is this iron grip?

I would say it is normal, but normal marriages can not handle polygamy so I do not like their chances.

By the way, their prospective (Brandy) is in this thread, so she can elaborate her viewpoint if she wants. :)

While they are doing better than last season, the Snowdens still rub me the wrong way. I hope young women aren't watching the show and thinking Wife #1's iron grip on her household is normal or okay.

I'm a second wife. I respect 1st Wife's experience and authority, especially in matters relating to our husband or marriage in general. She earned that respect.
But she doesn't tell me what to do, nor is she a gatekeeper in my relationship with my husband.

This is epic second wife talk! :cool::rolleyes:

Seconded. There is a world of wisdom dying to be unpacked in there for the edification of all. So many singles here, not many who can talk about this dynamic you hint at.

As far as I have seen, the Snowdens have a dynamic where the wife calls the shots in their search for a new wife. It is common but annoying.

IIRC there are a couple old testimonials on polygamy on this site where the woman called shots like this. I think it bodes very ill for the outcome.

However I'd love to see someone from your perspective start a post talking about the flip side, how the positive dynamic works in plural marriage. *hint hint nudge nudge*

As far as I have seen, the Snowdens have a dynamic where the wife calls the shots in their search for a new wife. It is common but annoying.

Yes I kind of said the same thing above. See "Episode 3 spoilers"

I think the big problem with this kind of dynamic is that if wife #1 calls the shots, wife #2 is going to feel like a second class citizen unless she is a super-submissive. That may be the case with the Snowdens. I think it is too early to tell.

It is hard enough in our culture for a wife to submit to her husband. More than likely she will not want to submit to another wife.

Yes I kind of said the same thing above. See "Episode 3 spoilers"

I think the big problem with this kind of dynamic is that if wife #1 calls the shots, wife #2 is going to feel like a second class citizen unless she is a super-submissive. That may be the case with the Snowdens. I think it is too early to tell.

It is hard enough in our culture for a wife to submit to her husband. More than likely she will not want to submit to another wife.

But this is really the root of a lot of problems isn't it? In most marriages the woman is in charge, even if surreptitiously, and there is fight over which mother-in-law will hold the most sway in the relationship (hard matriarchy). This creates an impossible conflict when plural marriage comes along.

But this is really the root of a lot of problems isn't it? In most marriages the woman is in charge, even if surreptitiously, and there is fight over which mother-in-law will hold the most sway in the relationship (hard matriarchy). This creates an impossible conflict when plural marriage comes along.

No argument from me.

Watching Paige McGee struggle with jealousy and then getting into a heated argument with their potential sw is just heartbreaking. It sure doesn't seem like she is really wants to live a plural marriage. I know that the ultimate decision is in God's hands, but what a train wreck to bring someone in the family too early. Jesus spent three years with His apostles, and they still weren't ready for their mission. Although The Snowden Family isn't religious and, the husband made a huge mistake, at least the wife seems to understand what she is getting into. I give them credit that it has taken them nine years to find their match.

I have a different take on Paige’s actions. Granted, my view may be skewed because I’m only privy to the footage the producers wanted to show, but as I watched it, I couldn’t help but think that she deliberately sabotaged the courting after the first visit.

After the first visit, She told him that she didnt want poly but gave him the go ahead anyway. Then she invites Brandy back and proceeds to give a my way or the highway stance, resulting in an argument that evening, followed by another sit down. Apparently both group talks were blown up by Paige who demonstrated to me that she actually wanted nothing to do with Brandy joining the family but was going thru the motions. Very manipulative and insecure IMO. I think she deliberately blew it up before Bernie could take it any further.

This is just a small part of what Ive seen that prompted my post on the Enemy of MY Family.

OTOH Bernie seems like a nice guy, but Paige rules the house and he lets her. They do make a great case study for a family that will not succeed at poly and is actually detrimental to the idea of Biblical poly unless there is a massive role reversal.

I felt so sorry/angry for Brandy and those boys being toyed with like that because of Paige’s jealousy and selfishness and Bernie’s inability to be the head of his house, and both of them playing poly.

I agree on the Snowdens. Definitely a different approach and world view, but it seems that they managed to put it together. I found it very interesting to watch the power/authority dynamics develop because of the abstinence.

If we ever start a jargon file, "playing poly" needs to be on the list....

I couldn’t help but think that she deliberately sabotaged the courting after the first visit.

After the first visit, She told him that she didnt want poly but gave him the go ahead anyway. Then she invites Brandy back and proceeds to give a my way or the highway stance, resulting in an argument that evening, followed by another sit down. Apparently both group talks were blown up by Paige who demonstrated to me that she actually wanted nothing to do with Brandy joining the family but was going thru the motions. Very manipulative and insecure IMO. I think she deliberately blew it up before Bernie could take it any further.

That is passive aggressive rule. The weaker sex is rarely direct about it.

Back