• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Seeeking Sister Wife (Season 2) - Monday January 20th on TLC

I'm wondering if the Snowden poly relationship is scripted. Things seem to be going too smoothly.

I could see that, it would be hard to draw viewers if every couple always failed. The show needs at least some token successes.

The thing that happened with the McGee's was messed up. It's pretty obvious that women can control a polygamist relationship, at least in the start up, just as much as a monogamous one. It's easy to see from what they, or rather, what she did could be seen as hurting the children, and therefore effecting all of us in trying to talk to others about PM.

The reason I am inclined to change my mind about the Snowdens was the end of the show and the previews about thier up coming wedding. It seemed pretty real to me.

The reason I am inclined to change my mind about the Snowdens was the end of the show and the previews about thier up coming wedding. It seemed pretty real to me.

I don't watch TV but I have the impression there have been other TV shows that end in 'real' weddings but it was just part of the contract and the show. The women didn't expect to necessarily stick it out.

Reactions: Cap
The "Tell All" episode was just horrific--from lying to leaving. It makes me wonder if this is a true calling for God's people or not. There is just so much heartache even from the McGee family whom I felt were the closest to what a majority of our Christian beliefs are on this site.

The "Tell All" episode was just horrific--from lying to leaving. It makes me wonder if this is a true calling for God's people or not. There is just so much heartache even from the McGee family whom I felt were the closest to what a majority of our Christian beliefs are on this site.

I agree with you and have decided that any reality show about polygamy is just entertainment and there is nothing that can be gained educationally. I regret wasting my time with this crap.

The Mormon families seem to be the most stable of them all.

I for one would find great benefit if the @Brandy that is a member here would speak up and share the real story. These shows are putting a strain on what we are modeling our lives towards.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the McGees are not poly material at all. He’s not the head of his household, she’s not mature enough or intelligent enough IMO to be a successful participant in a plural family. He wont set his own boundaries and kowtows to hers at the slightest hint of displeasure. The lack of communication and the deceit that he’s apparently comfortable with is staggering.

They both may like the idea, but it takes much more than that not to give poly or Christianity of whatever brand you practice a black eye.

To be fair the fundementalist Mormons have a lot more support and experience with polygamy than evangelical Christians do. We should give them credit for that.

Let me draw your attention to another aspect of the show that stood out for me. When the blow-up happened did you notice how, despite just meeting for the first time, the poly families all rushed to support? The ladies with the wife and the men with the husband? And how Jeff pushed back to handle what was important even though the producer was trying to pressure them to immediately go back to the studio? Did you notice that despite their different backgrounds they gave excellent and unanimous advice on what was important and what needed to happen? The unhappy couple were ready to call separate cabs, and they were able to calm them down and get them back together and apologizing. That to me spoke very favorably to the polygamy community at large and reminded me of the quality people that I encounter at Biblical Families retreat. There is something about the character of people that have been strengthened by the experience of polygamy that stands out for me. The scummy producers could care less but the poly families put people and marriage first.

To me the greatest disappointment in the show was the last few seconds with the annoucement that Vanessa Snowden had left the family. There was no hint that that was coming, and she seemed like such a perfect fit for the family. It would have been nice to have at least one success story, but after two season there have been none so far. Quel dommage.

After watching the show, I am of the opinion that many of these shows want to undermine PM while making money off the curiousity... like a sideshow. The editing and choice of footage cultivates drama. Big LOve was the same way. It appeared to celebrate PM but as a whole, it offered it up as a series of cautionary tales.

That UK series on Rockland seemed to be a little different. It was more documentary than reality tv drama. The families may have a different opinion from behind the scenes but from the outside and reading between the lines it seemed fairly balanced so far as PM goes. It showed both the good and the bad. More good than bad.

But I'd say thats an exception not likely to be repeated again in this day and age.

After watching the show, I am of the opinion that many of these shows want to undermine PM while making money off the curiousity... like a sideshow. The editing and choice of footage cultivates drama. Big LOve was the same way. It appeared to celebrate PM but as a whole, it offered it up as a series of cautionary tales.
Agree, but that's only from watching maybe....30 minutes in TOTAL of any of the poly shows. I tend to not like any reality television though, so that's my bias. It's entertainment with a penchant for stirring up drama and conflict. People love to see the car on fire.

"Three Wives and Ohe Husband" about Rockland was very good. The production company kind of screwed them when they promised and paid for them to be shown on UK television and then then they turned around and sold it to TLC for American TV and did not cut them in on any more money, but I suppsed that is typical. Sadly there have been a couple of tragedies to the Foster family since the showed aired.

The other really good polygamy series was "Polygamy USA" on the National Geographic channel.

I am very sorry to report that Bernie McGee from the show died yesterday. Apparently he was out riding his bike in the heat and had a heart attack and did not make it to the hospital. He was only 41 years old.

I know that for whatever their faults were Bernie was a believer who has gone on to his reward. May God bless his wife and family in this most difficult time.

Remember: You never really know how much time you have left. Make every moment count. Time is your most precious resource.

https://soapdirt.com/seeking-sister...fbUE3QMcOY7DavcBOsqbeNnvX9bMhLDgAg9IHMq5XDhto

Last edited:
Wow

Back