• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat So You Don’t Have A Gun....

Sadly my first exposure to the platform was hearing old Vietnam vets talking about their experience being cursed with the M16A1 in the war.
My Vietnam vet father had nothing good to say about it...but that was a different era. Things were modified.

At close range (40-50 yards) I believe a bolt from a crossbow will penetrate heavy body armor, where a medium size round will not...
Would I be assuming correctly if I assumed you have evidence of this sorcery? Are we talking AR500 plates here?

And, a funny, but good video comparing several hunting applications,

All armor and weaponry can be improved.. that's why arms race...

The point, in some applications, a crossbow is quiet but suprisingly deadly hunting weapon.

I can see a bolt going through those, but there is no way it would go through ar500.
I’m wondering why that is important.
If the crossbow is going to be the only weapon in your arsenal, you will just have to choose appropriate tactics if you are going up against a heavily armored enemy.
For extremely powerful crossbows, the cycle time is their biggest drawback.

I’m wondering why that is important.
If the crossbow is going to be the only weapon in your arsenal, you will just have to choose appropriate tactics if you are going up against a heavily armored enemy.
For extremely powerful crossbows, the cycle time is their biggest drawback.

It isn’t! Lol
@PeteR said that crossbows could punch through armor and i was picturing steel plate armor and thinking, NO WAY?! It just made me really curious to see what he was talking about.

As far as using it as a weapon system, yeah it’s way too slow. A recurve is much faster. However, I’m not sure why anyone is considering these as an option... when, thirty mag clip bullets in half a second ghostguns, exist.

Crosssbows are a serious option for home defence globally, because there are so few regulations around them. They are usually available for purchase even when firearms are severely restricted. The bolts are reusable (IF you can find them again...) and can be made at home at a pinch. They've been used for hunting and defence for thousands of years.

The biggest drawback is the rate of fire - but the Chinese actually solved that over 2000 years ago. The Chinese have had repeating crosssbows with 10-15-shot magazines and a repeat rate of 1 shot every 2 seconds for over two millenia.
Some of the originals actually had two parallel stacks of bolts in the magazine, and fired two bolts with each shot. It's not accurate or powerful, rather its purpose is to allow absolutely anybody regardless of physical strength or skill to send a lot of bolts towards a close-range attacker. According to an ancient Chinese source:
The Zhuge Nu is a handy little weapon that even the Confucian scholar or palace women can use in self-defence... It fires weakly so you have to tip the darts with poison. Once the darts are tipped with "tiger-killing poison", you can shoot it at a horse or a man and as long as you draw blood, your adversary will die immediately. The draw-back to the weapon is its very limited range.

Back